Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Saladman posted:

Do you talk to a lot of people born in Britain in the early 1900s? I know the Ukraine is grammatically acceptable but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it used let alone heard it, except in highfalautin articles and magazines that think they’re so smart that using "whom" and "coöperate" makes them sound intelligent.

Yeah you heard me, New Yorker!

Or they saw that Seinfeld episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's why you call anyone from the US a Yankee.

This would be like calling anyone from the UK "English".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Grape posted:

Nah, the difference is that we respect Scottish and Welsh people

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Grape posted:

So something to do at every opportunity that won't get you beaten up?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When I try to get someone to not say "the Ukraine" and recognize Ukrainians as a fully separate people and not just funny Russians, my go to argument is "Ukrainian is as different from Russian as Dutch is from German, and you don't think the Dutch should be part of Germany now do you??"

The proper name is "Garðaríki"

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Argentinians get all :qq: about being called the Argentine? (Also gently caress your definite articles Ukrainians, at least your country gets called more or less its actual name by dirty anglophones. :finland:)
idk about the other places but in Argentina's case it makes sense (and is the grammatically correct way to do it, if you want to be pedantic about it). Its called Argentina in spansih and the Argentine in english, as in spanish Argentina is modifying the subject (tierra argentina, republica argentina, pueblo argentino, etc.).

Argentine from latin argentum from Rio de la Plata from the dumbdumb explorers who couldn't understand the natives so they just made some poo poo up about Argentina being full of silver (it isn't).

So while saying "the Ukraine" may be offensive to Ukrainians due to the political implications, calling Argentina "the Argentine" isn't actually offensive.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 19, 2018

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No one calls it the Argentine though?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's why you call anyone from the US a Yankee.

GO TO HELL FUCKER. If you want a real demonym for the US do what the mexicans do and call us Estadounidense. You can even make it a joke, "more like estadouniDENSE am i right"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yankee go home.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I think we can call it even and agree on "those fuckers"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

Yankee go home.

reported

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The preferred nomenclature is "Septics"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yanks are from the US, yankees are from the northeastern US.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In the 2000s I remember pissing off Americans on forums by calling them "USAns". It was short and convenient, though.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

In the 2000s I remember pissing off Americans on forums by calling them "USAns". It was short and convenient, though.

This is basically what Americans are called in Latin America.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ekuNNN posted:

edit: i know this is not the vexillology thread but i just learned of this official flag for the city of Daejeon, South Korea:

:stare:
this flag is cute as gently caress and we need more like it :kimchi:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this flag is cute as gently caress and we need more like it :kimchi:

Disagree. The only dumber version would have been "It's not Seoul!".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It has a distinctive design and you immediately know what it's for.

That's like 2/3 off the bat for flag design.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Squalid posted:

English has a serious lack of words for nationalities. “United Stater” or “Statesian” sounds dumb, and there’s plenty of countries where we don’t have a word. A german. A russian. But it has to be an englishman, or a frenchman. Then you’ve got China. Saying “a chinaman” or “a chinese” sounds like a racist grandpa. But a korean, that’s fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's a flag that makes a map unnecessary. You don't have to look at a map to see where you are, just look at the flag!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Saying “a chinaman” or “a chinese” sounds like a racist grandpa. But a korean, that’s fine.
That's only because racist grandpas used that to describe anyone East Asian looking for too long.

Same as how in the UK there's a regular type of letter to the editor going "it's just an abbreviation of the country name, how come saying 'Scot' is fine but saying 'Paki' is racist :qq:"

I bet if there were 40 years of Asians beating up English and yelling "go back to Cardiff you Scot bastard" that'd become racist too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ekuNNN posted:

It's not my fault the English are terrible at language and use the wrong word for Nederlands :colbert:

edit: i know this is not the vexillology thread but i just learned of this official flag for the city of Daejeon, South Korea:

:stare:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If your flag is 90's clip art, it's bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If your flag is a trademark, it isn't a flag.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Please everyone knows it's yanqui

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Squalid posted:

Isn’t that just for edgelords and legal documents? EEUU works fine as an abbreviation for documents but saying it out loud sounds only marginally less dumb in Spanish than English.

At least in Europe in French i have never heard Americans referred to as « Etats-Unians » except in formal documentation, and even then rarely. My German is pretty bad but I’m also pretty sure Americans are Amerikans and not the mouthful of Vereinigten Staatenvolk

Ive lived in Europe for 10 years as an American and not even once has someone pretended not to understand me. No LatAm would ever say "American" here when asked where they’re from unless they’re an edge lord. It’d be like a German person being asked in China where they’re from, who the gently caress would say "Europe"? And that’s a bad example because at least Europe doesn’t have another intersectional and more common meaning.

E: come to think of it though my response to where are you originally from is usually « les États Unis » or « the US ». I doubt I’ve ever said I’m from « America ». And outside of legal settings people rarely ask my nationalities. In which case I’d definitely say « American »

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 19, 2018

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In official German „US-Amerikaner“ is often used to avoid just that. Most people will just say „Amerikaner“, though

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ami go home!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladman posted:

Isn’t that just for edgelords and legal documents? EEUU works fine as an abbreviation for documents but saying it out loud sounds only marginally less dumb in Spanish than English.

At least in Europe in French i have never heard Americans referred to as « Etats-Unians » except in formal documentation, and even then rarely. My German is pretty bad but I’m also pretty sure Americans are Amerikans and not the mouthful of Vereinigten Staatenvolk

Ive lived in Europe for 10 years as an American and not even once has someone pretended not to understand me. No LatAm would ever say "American" here when asked where they’re from unless they’re an edge lord. It’d be like a German person being asked in China where they’re from, who the gently caress would say "Europe"? And that’s a bad example because at least Europe doesn’t have another intersectional and more common meaning.

Maybe depending on how you define edgelord. If you speak terrible spanish they probably won't try to correct you if you refer to yourself as an americano, but it definitely gets under their skin. The fact that calling themselves an American in Europe causes confusion is a source of annoyance for many people, who feel the term should refer to themselves as well.

There's variation depending on where you are but Americans should definitely use the word estadounidense to refer to themselves in central and South America to be polite. Its kind of a pain because its hard to pronounce, though norteamericano is usually also acceptable. Or you can just call yourself a gringo informally.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The problem is solved more simply by annexing the whole continent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m in if we revive the brazilian imperial throne for head of state. I’ve always wanted to have an Emperor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

That would still only make them North Americans, or possibly some kind of slang word for someone from the North of America.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

FYI everybody, this idiot’s attitude is exactly why Latin Americans don’t like that persons from the United States have an international monopoly on the name American. Calling yourself an americano in Panama or Honduras will make you look just as arrogant and presumptuous as fishmech.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Squalid posted:

FYI everybody, this idiot’s attitude is exactly why Latin Americans don’t like that persons from the United States have an international monopoly on the name American. Calling yourself an americano in Panama or Honduras will make you look just as arrogant and presumptuous as fishmech.

How often do people do that?

Maybe I'm being too generous but the sort of americans to bother speaking spanish seem like the same sort to recognize why "american=USA" sounds real lovely to the other countries on the continent.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Maybe I'm being too generous but the sort of americans to bother speaking spanish seem like the same sort to recognize why "american=USA" sounds real lovely to the other countries on the continent.

There's a reason the words "estadounidense" and "norteamericano" exist, yes.

Squalid posted:

Beaten re: "estadounidense."

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How often do people do that?

Probably not that often

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here in Iceland the official demonym is "Bandaríkjamenn" (United States Men) but "Ameríkanar" (guess) is more colloquial. This is often shortened to "Kanar". This is sometimes combined with other words like "kanasjónvarp"*(Yank Television) or "kanamella"(Yank whore)**.

*The tv channel run by the American military base in the postwar period. The first television broadcast in Iceland. Could actually be revived on civilian TVs in a rather large radius until the government demanded that the signal be weakened so foreign filth like Lassie wouldn't lead to the destruction of Icelandic language and culture.

**A slur for women who had relations with soldiers from the base. Whether those relations were just a one night stand or marriage/kids and anything in between.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Squalid posted:

Probably not that often

Possibly just once

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is often shortened to "Kanar"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

Look at this little meltdown over the fact both America and Mexico are officially named United States.

Guavanaut posted:

That would still only make them North Americans, or possibly some kind of slang word for someone from the North of America.

America is only one continent, just like Eurafrica.