Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

CeallaSo posted:

I mean, it makes sense that you would need a crutch in the beginning, doesn't it? You haven't even really settled into your role; the adventure you're on is as much a part of your training as everything that came before it.

And it's not even like you have to be optimal, if you're really dedicated to being a punchman. You're losing 1 point of damage in the early levels, which is made up for by the fact that you get to punch multiple times. (1d4+4)x2 averages 12, which compares favorably with a fighter's 2d6+4 (10). It eats your bonus action, sure, but it's not like you were using it for anything else to begin with. And that's what you get without spending the ki point for flurry.

How are you getting a +4 damage on your attacks? A +4 damage modifier shouldn't be possible in 5e until your first ASI at the earliest without the help of class features like Fighting Style: Dueling.

The real problem, though, is that punching people is much, much worse than two-handing for 1d8 damage. At level 1, a fighter with a two-hander does 2d6+3 (10), a monk throwing punches does 2d4+6 (11), and a monk with a spear does 2d8+6 (15). The gap only widens when you flurry, since getting a third hit in is an extra 50% damage, and the deficit grows from 4 points to 6 points. Monks get a lot of their damage from landing a large volume of hits, so losing damage per hit hurts them even more than it would for, say, a paladin or barbarian who only needs to land one big swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Toshimo posted:

Monks get dex bonus applied to off-hand damage?

Yes, why wouldn't they?

CeallaSo posted:

I mean, it makes sense that you would need a crutch in the beginning, doesn't it? You haven't even really settled into your role; the adventure you're on is as much a part of your training as everything that came before it.

And it's not even like you have to be optimal, if you're really dedicated to being a punchman. You're losing 1 point of damage in the early levels, which is made up for by the fact that you get to punch multiple times. (1d4+4)x2 averages 12, which compares favorably with a fighter's 2d6+4 (10). It eats your bonus action, sure, but it's not like you were using it for anything else to begin with. And that's what you get without spending the ki point for flurry.

The problem is when everyone starts getting magic weapons, which are very significant: a simple +1 on the attack and damage rolls translates to ~17% more round to round damage output. Even if you consign yourself as a support martial, you *want* to hit more often to land those Stunning Strikes.

And then when you actually factor in the other guys doing simple optimization and making use of their class abilities...

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

CeallaSo posted:

"It makes sense" is a terrible argument for class balance issues such as these. You can "make sense" of anything, as the fluff is ours to define. (Well, the designer's. You know what I mean.)

And by that argument we can also say that it "makes sense" for spellcasters to be stuck with cantrips and don't learn any actual leveled spells until such a time where a Monk's damage would improve to 1d6. That's at level 5, by the way.

Finally, let's not forget that you're comparing the damage rolls of a special class feature with anybody at all who picks up a weapon and has a decent Str. Your example of the "Fighter" uses no special Fighter ability at all, it's purely the equipment and the stat. Which contrasts with the Monk's core defining feature, and still does good. Plus the Fighter also has better HP, AC, and can use some pretty good magic weapons later on. And the Fighter has actual class abilities on top too. (Fighting Style means the Fighter's average damage is 12.5)

I love the idea of the Monk. But man does 5e not make them shine.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Double-post, my shame is great.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, why wouldn't they?

Well... no, Monks don't add their Dex to an off-hand attack. Technically.

But their bonus action attack with Martial Arts is not a dual wielding off-hand attack. It's just an additional attack. Yes, even if could describe it as a strike with your other arm, because that doesn't matter for Martial Arts. It's just an extra attack. And the rule which says you don't add Dex to dual wielding doesn't apply here.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

On that topic, reminder that Quarterstaff + Polearm Master + Dueling Fighting Style does 1d6+1d4+10 at level 1 (level 2 for Paladins and Rangers), with 18 AC from equipping a shield.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sage Genesis posted:

"It makes sense" is a terrible argument for class balance issues such as these. You can "make sense" of anything, as the fluff is ours to define. (Well, the designer's. You know what I mean.)

And by that argument we can also say that it "makes sense" for spellcasters to be stuck with cantrips and don't learn any actual leveled spells until such a time where a Monk's damage would improve to 1d6. That's at level 5, by the way.

Finally, let's not forget that you're comparing the damage rolls of a special class feature with anybody at all who picks up a weapon and has a decent Str. Your example of the "Fighter" uses no special Fighter ability at all, it's purely the equipment and the stat. Which contrasts with the Monk's core defining feature, and still does good. Plus the Fighter also has better HP, AC, and can use some pretty good magic weapons later on. And the Fighter has actual class abilities on top too. (Fighting Style means the Fighter's average damage is 12.5)

I love the idea of the Monk. But man does 5e not make them shine.

Kensai monks do use weapons quite a bit though. Also any monk can always use magic monk weapons and use the monk dice if that's better or the weapon's normal roll is that's better. You can actually get the +1 or +2 to hit and then use the monk damage dice.

Your gm can just flavor the weapons as magic bracers or brass knuckles if you want to keep the punching theme.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It just makes sense that a wizard should be better at using a crossbow than casting spells for the first few levels. They should need that crutch until they settle into their role.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

Kensai monks do use weapons quite a bit though. Also any monk can always use magic monk weapons and use the monk dice if that's better or the weapon's normal roll is that's better. You can actually get the +1 or +2 to hit and then use the monk damage dice.

Your gm can just flavor the weapons as magic bracers or brass knuckles if you want to keep the punching theme.

The argument isn't that monks can't use weapons, but that the system doesn't support exclusive punching as a good strategy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's weird when "punching and kicking stuff should be just as good as a weapon for a literal martial artist" is controversial.

I get it, kung fu has tons of sweet-looking weapons. But you're not picking a weapon because it's cool, you're picking a weapon because 1d4 vs 1d8 is a no-brainer. (And when you get to high enough levels, no more weapons because reasons - those reasons being 'this is better for my dpr now.')

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Conspiratiorist posted:

On that topic, reminder that Quarterstaff + Polearm Master + Dueling Fighting Style does 1d6+1d4+10 at level 1 (level 2 for Paladins and Rangers), with 18 AC from equipping a shield.

Using a longbow with archery fighting style and sharpshooter gets you either 1d8+3 and +7 to your attack roll(compare to everyone else's +5) or 1d8+13 and +2 and you can stand 600 feet away from the monster(effectively near-infinite AC) and ignore cover and also still do a punching attack if you want.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 19, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

It's weird when "punching and kicking stuff should be just as good as a weapon for a literal martial artist" is controversial.

I get it, kung fu has tons of sweet-looking weapons. But you're not picking a weapon because it's cool, you're picking a weapon because 1d4 vs 1d8 is a no-brainer. (And when you get to high enough levels, no more weapons because reasons - those reasons being 'this is better for my dpr now.')

You must be misreading something because using weapons is always better, or at worse inconsequential, to your DPR as a Monk.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay Monks....

There has been some confusion and wrong beliefs about 5e Monks, though some of it has been corrected by other people.

No Monk's don't get an ability modifier to off hand attacks made as a bonus action. But most Bonus Action attacks are not off-hand from Dual Wielding. Many Bonus Action attacks don't have that restriction. Polearm Momentum's 1d4 bonus action attack adds the stat modifier, the bonus action attack from Great Weapon Mastery on a crit or kill adds the stat modifier, the bonus action attack from Monk's Martial Arts or bonus action attacks from Flurry of Blows adds the stat modifier.

When a Monk attacks with a Monk Weapon they can use their Dexterity for attack and damage, and they can use their Martial Arts damage die if it is better than the weapon, this last will almost never happen until the Monk's unarmed damage goes up to d8 or d10.

The bonus action attack from Martial Arts, or bonus action attacks from Flurry of Blows, must be made with an unarmed strike and not with just any Monk Weapon.

During the playtest the Monk changed a lot, but the most recent part that happened before the final release the Monk unarmed damage was higher. It started at 1d6 and scaled to 1d12. Which wasn't great but was better than it is now.

Before 4e Monks unarmed damage started low but scaled to the point it did a lot more than any, nonmagical, weapon. They also got more attacks when fighting unarmed to the point they got more attacks than any other class. That said their attacks didn't have any of those various magical bonuses magic weapons could get.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lightrook posted:

Wow, so unarmed strikes are somehow even worse than I thought. And Open Hand doesn't even require, you know, an open hand to apply any of its effects. So 5e really hates letting us punch people.
And then you bring a staff and/or spear anyways to stave off GMs who think they are clever throwing slimes or aquatic combat at the guy who just wants to punch things :v:

I'm sure there is some math that proves "Actually, two handing your staff then using a bonus action for 1d4 unarmed is as good/better than that Two-weapon fighter with the pair of shortswords!" but it still feels silly that your punch expert starts with the worst possible damage dice size outside of pointing out a gimmick 1d2 weapon. (Though I had also always assumed the bonus unarmed strike got DEX mod. So loving wow if not).

It's not"You should punch as good/better than any weapon!". so much as "Why do I have to work my way up from WORST weapon?" that is the head scratcher to me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 19, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The standard offhand unarmed strike that all characters have does not get the modifier. The monk martial arts one does.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Unarmed Strike is 1+STR mod for all other classes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There's just no reason for a dnd character attacking something on purpose to ever have a damage value lower than 1d6. I let my ranger have 1d6 for a knife and fork because it was cool and funny and fit the scene-without-her-bow well. I gave her her proficiency bonus in exchange for telling us about the previous time she fought with a knife and fork.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The standard offhand unarmed strike that all characters have does not get the modifier. The monk martial arts one does.

Actually that never comes up. Because Unarmed Strikes are not Light Weapons and cannot be "wielded" in the off hand and you can't two weapon fighting with them.

The Monk's Martial Arts/Flurry of Blows thing is kind of like off-hand attacks but not so it doesn't matter.

For non Monks, or anyone else who doesn't somehow have a special Unarmed Strike, an Unarmed Strike is an attack that does 1 damage with no traits, it does add Str mod normally but you can't two weapon fight with it, it doesn't count as a 2-handed weapon for things that require that, cannot be used with Dex, etc. Tavern Brawler changes it to 1d4+Str, but doesn't let you two weapon fight with it. There might be some race options that give a natural/unarmed strike that might be light and thus usable with two-weapon fighting, and if there is then in that situation it would not add the stat modifier to the bonus action off hand strike.

But yes I agree that Monks should have started out at 1d6 unarmed damage, or at least something better than 1d4. That said daggers are 1d4, as are darts, and some characters might use those, though most of those classes would probably be better off with a shortsword and some actual ranged weapon.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nobody has ever used darts.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Crotch posted:

Nobody has ever used darts.
Looks like SOMEONE never cheesed out an AD&D Fighter!

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

dwarf74 posted:

Darts were fantastic. To this very day, a friend of mine ever now and then goes and makes machinegun noises and we all know he's thinking about AD&D darts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dwarf74 posted:

The ever popular newly dual class fighter mage "I could cast a 1d4 magic missile, or I could throw a dart through 3 walls and kill that ogre"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
In an attempt to get out of my house more, I'm planning to start attending D&D Encounters. Any particularly good options? I assume spellcasters in general. I was thinking about maybe playing a wizard. I briefly played one when 5e first came out, but it's been a while.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also, Open Hand monk is the monk that punched and kicks more than normal? Like, what else would the extra knockdown and pushes be besides extra-hard punching. Unless whoever said that meant literally having more attack rolls than other monks, but gently caress that, 4 is enough.

I just wish Avatar Monk wasn't hot garbage thanks to it's overpriced everything. The fact that they actually bothered to nerf water whip in the same game that Hexblade and full spellcasters exist in is laughable.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Darts were more fun when I realized they meant plumbata and not, you know, bar darts.

They suck but I did do some fun and weird poo poo by throwing them at random objects as a monk. There was once a room filled with crystal pillars that shattered into shrapnel at any sound louder than a whisper, and the whole room was trapped with alarm spells that would set them off. I did an anime toss of like, five at the pillars and walked out like an action hero from the explosion.

I know this isn't unique to darts I just have a fond memory of it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Malpais Legate posted:

Darts were more fun when I realized they meant plumbata and not, you know, bar darts.

They suck but I did do some fun and weird poo poo by throwing them at random objects as a monk. There was once a room filled with crystal pillars that shattered into shrapnel at any sound louder than a whisper, and the whole room was trapped with alarm spells that would set them off. I did an anime toss of like, five at the pillars and walked out like an action hero from the explosion.

I know this isn't unique to darts I just have a fond memory of it.

2e darts were basically lawn darts

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Murdering stuff with lawn darts is exponentially more funny and thus better.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JackMann posted:

In an attempt to get out of my house more, I'm planning to start attending D&D Encounters. Any particularly good options? I assume spellcasters in general. I was thinking about maybe playing a wizard. I briefly played one when 5e first came out, but it's been a while.

Paladins and Clerics are both strong, survivable, and have magic versatility. Wizards are alright but require a fair understanding of spellcasting (workings and options) to really come onto their own. Bards are good at everything except dealing damage, so that's the way to go if you want to be good at everything except dealing damage.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Murdering stuff with lawn darts is exponentially more funny and thus better.

:hfive:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

indeed

I miss the deep gnome acid darts.

It was a living embodiment of bad childhood safety of the 70's. :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Dart throwing svirfneblin were insanely overpowered just like everythinf else from the underdark in tsr days

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There's just no reason for a dnd character attacking something on purpose to ever have a damage value lower than 1d6. I let my ranger have 1d6 for a knife and fork because it was cool and funny and fit the scene-without-her-bow well. I gave her her proficiency bonus in exchange for telling us about the previous time she fought with a knife and fork.

it's funny because in Ye Olden Dayes, everything dealt damage with a 1d6, but we've somehow actually backslid from that

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Damage on SotDL is in d6 :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Damage on SotDL is in d6 :)

Wrong thread.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wrong thread.

yeah you're in it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wrong thread.

C'mon, man.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

It's a joke.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Edit: wrong thread, sorry.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Ah, great. The DM's are gonna be picky about Wave. "You may bring it, but we will be handling the weapon. So it may or may not do what you request it to do."

So once again, any options that could give me a fighting chance? Probably none quite like Wave would have, obviously.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Even if monks aren't super great I like playing monk because they feel like the best monk has ever been in D&D, even if that's a low bar for a traditionally subpar class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glagha posted:

Even if monks aren't super great I like playing monk because they feel like the best monk has ever been in D&D, even if that's a low bar for a traditionally subpar class
The 4e monk begs to differ. It was really good - an extremely mobile and hard-hitting martial artist with a gift for spreading their attacks around.