Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

a_good_username posted:

e: Also why was the confederate flag up in the first place? Seems super odd.

There are something like 20 flags around the square, all flags that flew over US territory at some time. There’s the Lone star Texas flag, and the Don’t tread on Me snake flag, and a California Bear Republic flag, and a bunch of others. Back then the Confederate flag was one of them.

Here’s a list of the ones there now.

https://parkerhiggins.net/2013/09/the-flags-of-san-franciscos-civic-center-plaza/

And the assertion that Feinstein was trying to curry favor with Dixiecrats appears to be the opinion of one writer for the Spartacist Youth League. It might be true, but I suspect Feinstein was just got pissed that someone showed her up and wouldn’t let it go. Shes kind of vindictive once she gets challenged - just ask the Mitchell Brothers.

predicto fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

predicto posted:

There are something like 20 flags around the square, all flags that flew over US territory at some time. There’s the Lone star Texas flag, and the Don’t tread on Me snake flag, and a California Bear Republic flag, and a bunch of others. Back then the Confederate flag was one of them.

Here’s a list of the ones there now.

https://parkerhiggins.net/2013/09/the-flags-of-san-franciscos-civic-center-plaza/

And the assertion that Feinstein was trying to curry favor with Dixiecrats appears to be the opinion of one writer for the Spartacist Youth League. It might be true, but I suspect she was just got pissed that someone showed her up and wouldn’t let it go. Shes kind of vindictive once she gets challenged - just ask the Mitchell Brothers.

That still doesn't change the fact that the Confederate flag is hateful and treasonous.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bodhidharma posted:

That still doesn't change the fact that the Confederate flag is hateful and treasonous.

Correct. And tearing it down is always justified.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It sounds like she took the worst possible course of action for what she wanted to happen. She should have gone to the police or the FBI with it if she wanted him to be quietly prosecuted, not send it to her federal representatives.

Hahahahahahaha. Hahahahahahaha. Hahahahahahaha.
1. Statute of loving limitations.
2. No contemporary witnesses.
3. The long slow drag of prosecution even if it were prosecuted which it wouldn't have been.

She wanted her would-be rapist off the Supreme Court. She has been dreading for years his appointment to the Supreme Court. She hoped (unwisely, as it turned out) that she could keep him off the Court anonymously. DiFi (spit) spent much of the summer trying to get her to go on the record. She says now, “Now I feel like my civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and terror about retaliation.”

Christine Blasey Ford speaks.

tl;dr: sexual assault victims can't rely on the courts for justice.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She wanted her would-be rapist off the Supreme Court. She has been dreading for years his appointment to the Supreme Court. She hoped (unwisely, as it turned out) that she could keep him off the Court anonymously. DiFi (spit) spent much of the summer trying to get her to go on the record. She says now, “Now I feel like my civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and terror about retaliation.”

Oh, that makes more sense. Yeah, government hearings are not really a place where things happen based on anonymous sources.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Belated happy Chinese New Year from Dana Rohrabacher.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Jesus Christ...

I attempted some door-to-door canvassing for Harley Rouda over the weekend in Huntington Beach... not a very friendly reception in the neighborhood, for the most part. But on the rare occasion that I hit a Dem household, they seemed super pumped about kicking Dana's rear end out, and some folks mentioned that they were already making sure the other members of their family were getting registered to vote. It was nice to see the enthusiasm first hand, even though it meant wading through 90% of the other households that thought I was the scum of the earth.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gringostar posted:

if it's legitimate rape accusation, diane feinstein has ways to shut the whole thing down

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Gringostar posted:

if it's legitimate rape accusation, diane feinstein has ways to shut the whole thing down

I didn't see what you were doing here until Shear pointed it out :golfclap:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1041842177700126720
Oh hey, that's rad.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Yeah, pretty happy about this. Cannot wait to go back home to CA and get some delicious street tacos!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So the other extremely good part of that is that those vendors now have some sort of recourse for when gangs drive up and ask them for protection moneys.

LA has made some encouraging steps towards legalizing street vendors, even setting up farmers market style tables by some of the big subway stops that attract sidewalk sellers. It's done a lot to make the area nice and allow those folks to sell their wares.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

So the other extremely good part of that is that those vendors now have some sort of recourse for when gangs drive up and ask them for protection moneys.

LA has made some encouraging steps towards legalizing street vendors, even setting up farmers market style tables by some of the big subway stops that attract sidewalk sellers. It's done a lot to make the area nice and allow those folks to sell their wares.

gently caress yeah! I didn't even think about that first bit. Good. You should be able to sell delicious food anywhere as long as it is tasty.....and maybe give free samples because holy poo poo L.A. Mexican food sounds so good right to a West Coast living on the East Coast.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope this means more kickass taco stands.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have taco stands on every corner :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGn5AXA1SM

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I have no reason to believe that this will actually happen, but the first thing I thought of is big business exploiting the new law. Like a Panera Bread "pop-up street bread-bowlerey" in neighborhoods where they don't already operate. If there's a formal, on-the-books way of doing it the money's not going to be flowing to the street corn abuelas.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
I mean they could already have been doing this with food trucks but I'm not sure if those types of hot players really took advantage of the trend.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Brown signed a bill that prevents a practice where lawyers were drafting bills for city councils to criminally prosecute minor code violations and then stick the violator with the bill for their attorneys. It doesn’t come into effect until the start of next year though, so until then be wary of code officers I guess.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

saw some signature collectors going around getting signatures to get a referendum of the cash bail repeal put on the ballot. the guy said he was working for this group: https://m.facebook.com/CVCFRG/. interesting.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wont somebody think of all the honest people working in the Bail bonds industry.

E: just skimmed that page. My overton window has shifted so far that I am relieved by non-bootlicker conservatives.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 25, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New plan by conservatives is to repeal the SB1 Gax Tax and then continue funding infrastructure projects by also cancelling the high speed rail line and using that money instead.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If the idiots actually manage to scuttle CAHSR, I hope Fresno enjoys its new, disjointed series of California-style High Line Parks in the viaducts that have already been built.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FCKGW posted:

New plan by conservatives is to repeal the SB1 Gax Tax and then continue funding infrastructure projects by also cancelling the high speed rail line and using that money instead.

I'd be happy with an any-speed passenger rail line linking LA directly to the capital without having to go through the Bay.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Can California’s next governor fix the state’s problems? It depends on Palo Alto
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-pol-ca-next-california-economy/

quote:

While Democrat Gavin Newsom and Republican John Cox campaign on their visions for the state’s next chapter, it’s the financial success of residents in Palo Alto’s 94301 and a handful of other affluent ZIP Codes that will determine whether promises to build more houses, overhaul healthcare or invest in schools can actually be kept.
" We are very dependent on millionaires. If the millionaires get a cold, we all die of the flu. " — Mike Genest, former budget director for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

doctorfrog posted:

Can California’s next governor fix the state’s problems? It depends on Palo Alto
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-pol-ca-next-california-economy/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Welp maybe it's time to start talking about ballot iniatives

https://ballotpedia.org/California_2018_ballot_propositions

Proposition 1 Issues $4 billion in bonds for housing programs and veterans' home loans
Proposition 2 Authorizes state to use revenue from millionaire's tax for $2 billion in bonds for homelessness prevention housing
Proposition 3 Issues $8.877 billion in bonds for water-related infrastructure and environmental projects
Proposition 4 Issues $1.5 billion in bonds for children's hospitals
Proposition 5 Revises process for homebuyers who are age 55 or older or severely disabled to transfer their tax assessments
Proposition 6 Repeals 2017's fuel tax and vehicle fee increases and requires public vote on future increases
Proposition 7 Authorizes legislature to provide for permanent daylight saving time if federal government allows
Proposition 8 Requires dialysis clinics to issue refunds for revenue above a certain amount
Proposition 10 Allows local governments to regulate rent
Proposition 11 Allow ambulance providers to require workers to remain on-call during breaks paid
Proposition 12 Bans sale of meat from animals confined in spaces below specific sizes

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Already seeing a heavy push against 8.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jaxyon posted:

Proposition 7 Authorizes legislature to provide for permanent daylight saving time if federal government allows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I haven't read anything about Prop 10 yet but I can imagine the blood vessels popping.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
why permanent DST and not just no DST?

either way its better than switching twice a year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

prop 10 is good. its the costa-hawkins repeal.

i got phone banked for 8 already

e:

Kuvo posted:

i dunno but we do spend more than half the year in DST

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/dillonliam/status/1044673690292506624

:cripes:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rick Marcelli should be thrown out of that meeting.

Literally. Bodily.

Kuvo posted:

That's a... really good question.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Because stupid babbies don't like to see the sun before six am... And uhh I guess they also don't like it to already be dark when they leave work in December.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Proposition 11 Allow ambulance providers to require workers to remain on-call during breaks paid

hell yeah if ive just been in a car accident i want my EMT to not have had any breaks

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

hell yes :getin:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Read that article this morning before I had a cup of coffee and thought I was hallucinating.

Also jesus christ Prop 5 is going to turn CA into a gerontocracy run by those psychotic estranged parents who don't understand why all their kids hate them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CopperHound posted:

And uhh I guess they also don't like it to already be dark when they leave work in December.
This. DST just generally aligns daylight hours closer to most people's daily schedule. It saves energy in the summer but would save energy all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We're only a few days past the equinox and I'm already dying at how dark it is when my alarm goes off at 6:20. I'd rather abolish DST than keep it year-round, but getting rid of the switching is good, either way.

Or we can compromise: stay in one time zone, year-round, but it's UTC-07:30.