Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saigyouji posted:

More MSQ thoughts: Ultima Weapon was just the world's most absurdly convoluted assassination attempt. Gaius had already proven himself a problem for the Ascians when he helped sabotage Project Meteor. Had Ultima actually gone off, not only would it have caused another Calamity, but Gaius would be too dead to interfere anymore. And if the WoL won, well, Gaius would still be dead, so it's not a total loss. It didn't work in the end, obviously, but that's more because Lahabrea kinda sucked at his job.

I don't think that was the goal but more of a happy bonus. Gaius is probably the most badass person in the world that doesn't benefit from the Echo in some way, and his personal ideology is completely incompatible with letting Ascians run around creating chaos. Getting rid of him once he'd served his purpose was definitely something they wanted, but activating Ultima for the double whammy calamity was always the main goal. Selling Ultima Weapon as a tool of conquest rather than an engine of total destruction was just a convenient way to make sure he was on board for rebuilding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Thundarr posted:

I don't think that was the goal but more of a happy bonus. Gaius is probably the most badass person in the world that doesn't benefit from the Echo in some way, and his personal ideology is completely incompatible with letting Ascians run around creating chaos. Getting rid of him once he'd served his purpose was definitely something they wanted, but activating Ultima for the double whammy calamity was always the main goal. Selling Ultima Weapon as a tool of conquest rather than an engine of total destruction was just a convenient way to make sure he was on board for rebuilding it.

Oh, the primary goal was certainly always the next calamity, I agree, I just think that Gaius getting it specifically wasn't an accident.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

Oh, the primary goal was certainly always the next calamity, I agree, I just think that Gaius getting it specifically wasn't an accident.

A lot of it was a matter of convenience. After the Calamity, Garlemald likely had little appetite for trying to storm back into Eorzea after they lost the bulk of their fleet and an entire legion for no gain. The only person who both had the necessary resources and was a true enough believer to engage in mutiny from the larger Garlean command structure was Gaius. I'm assuming this is what Solus is talking about when he mentions Lahabrea's big cock-up: he completely wastes Gaius' resources, uses up an incredibly powerful weapon, and indirectly gives rise to their greatest nemesis (you) because he saw a potential opportunity and leapt on it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saigyouji posted:

No it probably wasn't an accident as much as a secondary objective that almost panned out. "Why accomplish just one thing with my plot when I could accomplish several things at once?" is a good villain MO. Which isn't to say Lahabrea was a good villain, but everybody gets lucky sometimes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vermain posted:

A lot of it was a matter of convenience. After the Calamity, Garlemald likely had little appetite for trying to storm back into Eorzea after they lost the bulk of their fleet and an entire legion for no gain. The only person who both had the necessary resources and was a true enough believer to engage in mutiny from the larger Garlean command structure was Gaius. I'm assuming this is what Solus is talking about when he mentions Lahabrea's big cock-up: he completely wastes Gaius' resources, uses up an incredibly powerful weapon, and indirectly gives rise to their greatest nemesis (you) because he saw a potential opportunity and leapt on it.

I actually figured he meant Thordan betraying the Ascians and killing Lahabrea and whatsherface, since he complained about being resummoned after his "death" to fix it and said death didn't happen until the ARR patches)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Vermain posted:

I'm assuming this is what Solus is talking about when he mentions Lahabrea's big cock-up: he completely wastes Gaius' resources, uses up an incredibly powerful weapon, and indirectly gives rise to their greatest nemesis (you) because he saw a potential opportunity and leapt on it.

Personally, what came to mind to me was how badly Lahabrea screwed things up with Thordan. Dude fails in getting him the Warring Triad, essentially allows Varis to get so bogged down by the Scions that he gets knocked out of the game (although, at that point I’m not sure how much they knew that Varis and Regula didn’t want that power to be used either), gets one Ascian killed before getting swallowed by Nidhogg’s eye, and his gently caress up prompted Ishgard to return to the alliance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

I actually figured he meant Thordan betraying the Ascians and killing Lahabrea and whatsherface, since he complained about being resummoned after his "death" to fix it and said death didn't happen until the ARR patches)

This is what I thought too. He got two immortal Ascians murked, including himself, and opened up a path to peace that ended a thousand-year source of strife. Just how much damage do you suppose the end of the Dragonsong War did to the Ascian's plans to prevent a total victory for Team Light?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

That's probably closer to it, actually. The exact line in English says he was summoned back after "Lahabrea's crowning act of idiocy," which would imply his final failure rather than the previous one. I assumed the whole thing with Ultima Weapon was a bigger cockup, since it led to an overall worse outcome for Garlemald - their primary pawns - than Thordan's betrayal and subsequent fall did.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

re: the black bars, Even if Thordan had succeeded it would've probably been a problem for the Ascians, so that entire operation was a dumbass maneuver from day 1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Lahabrea is a dumbass.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lahabrea is a dumbass.

Probably the one thing that every character in FFXIV agrees on.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nessus posted:

re: the black bars, Even if Thordan had succeeded it would've probably been a problem for the Ascians, so that entire operation was a dumbass maneuver from day 1.

Oh right, forgot that Thordan was all about the age of man and ruling himself. poo poo, was Eldibus even in on this plan? Imagine his reaction when Lahabrea linkshell phone called him or something with “oh, now he’s talking a lot about how he’s the rightful king. He might betray us but it’s all good, I got this. Yeah..Ok... well, he’s just a huma- Where is he now? Oh, I’m taking him to Triad Control now. Yeah, he’s got one of the eyes..” Followed by a very audible sigh of frustration by Eldibus

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
End game crafters! For those of you who melded to 1676/1708/493 and could reliably HQ with minimal starting quality, have you found that the old 35 durability and 70 durability macros still work bumping up craftsmanship to 1706+?

HQ Matcha + HQ Cunning Tea, of course.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MechaX posted:

Oh right, forgot that Thordan was all about the age of man and ruling himself. poo poo, was Eldibus even in on this plan? Imagine his reaction when Lahabrea linkshell phone called him or something with “oh, now he’s talking a lot about how he’s the rightful king. He might betray us but it’s all good, I got this. Yeah..Ok... well, he’s just a huma- Where is he now? Oh, I’m taking him to Triad Control now. Yeah, he’s got one of the eyes..” Followed by a very audible sigh of frustration by Eldibus

I'm mostly sure that was a solo job. Lahabrea managed to rope in Igeyorhim, but Elidibus would have said gently caress no if he heard about it soon enough to stop it.

The Ascian plan relies on keeping the world in a constant state of conflict until they drain enough aether for Zodiark to overcome Hydaelin, otherwise the shard is lost forever if one side or the other gets too much of an advantage. Forcing a big heroic showdown (by, for example, creating a god for a god-slayer to fight) tends to resolve conflicts completely and that's the opposite of what they want.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Nabriales acted alone too when he just showed up in the Rising Stones to jumpstart his own plans, right? Seems like nothing good comes from Ascians acting alone.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Lahabrea showed signs of betrayal at some point in the 2.x patch stingers, didn't he? At once point he and Elidibus are talking and Lahabrea ends with "something something by my will." and Elidibus corrects him with "You mean His will.".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As someone still moving through the MSQ (I think I'm close to starting Stormblood; I just finished the dungeon where you kill a bunch of bird people, something starting with an X), what is all this O-number-S stuff people keep talking about?

Also, is it worth creating my own Party Finder group for continuing the Binding Coil stuff? I haven't seen one for the 2nd part yet (and feel like I may have gotten lucky with finding one for the first part).

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

As someone still moving through the MSQ (I think I'm close to starting Stormblood; I just finished the dungeon where you kill a bunch of bird people, something starting with an X), what is all this O-number-S stuff people keep talking about?

Also, is it worth creating my own Party Finder group for continuing the Binding Coil stuff? I haven't seen one for the 2nd part yet (and feel like I may have gotten lucky with finding one for the first part).

O is for "Omega" the number is for which fight it is, fights are released in groups of 4 so O1-4 are the first tier, 5-8 the second and then 9-12 are the current tier that got released this week. The "s" means it's the savage version of that fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

O is for "Omega" the number is for which fight it is, fights are released in groups of 4 so O1-4 are the first tier, 5-8 the second and then 9-12 are the current tier that got released this week. The "s" means it's the savage version of that fight.

Is it like the equivalent of Binding Coils (or I think Alexander or something for Heavensward, though I haven't done that yet)?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's shorthand referring to the 8-man raid series in an expansion, and then specifically the Savage variants that are more demanding on player synchronization.

O(*)S is Omega Savage. A(*)S is Alexander Savage.
Individually, the stages are divided into Deltascape 1-4.0, Sigmascape 1-4.0, and Alphascape 1-4.0 for the former, and The Fist/Cuff/Arm/Burden of the Father/Son and the Eyes/Breath/Heart/Soul of the Creator for the latter.
So it's just a lot faster to refer to them by their raid series number. (Binding Coils of Bahamut only has a Savage variant for the Second Coil.)

A party finder could help.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Phone posted:

End game crafters! For those of you who melded to 1676/1708/493 and could reliably HQ with minimal starting quality, have you found that the old 35 durability and 70 durability macros still work bumping up craftsmanship to 1706+?

HQ Matcha + HQ Cunning Tea, of course.
I don't know what the old macros were (I make my own so I don't have to use so many materia), but https://ffxivteamcraft.com has been updated with the new recipes so you can test how well they'd work. If you need new macros, this guide I stole ideas from has some.

This tier is easy enough that I don't even both using tea at 1680/1648/485. I do abuse having an alt so I can Specialty: Reflect everything though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

Is it like the equivalent of Binding Coils (or I think Alexander or something for Heavensward, though I haven't done that yet)?

Yes. Each of the expacs has their own set of 8 and 24 man raids. ARR has Binding Coil and Crystal Tower, HW has Alexander and Mhach, SB has Omega and Rabanastre.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Omega is a lonely, socially awkward automaton that doesn't understand people and just wants to have fun fights while using a cute girl as an avatar.

Is this supposed to be the most relatable character?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Renegret posted:

Wow I can't believe that Asahi is not actually trustworthy.

Shocked I tell you. SHOCKED.

Sorry I have a bit of catching up to do in the MSQ I missed 2 patch cycles.

I'm still bummed that the WoL just kinda stood there in shock, instead of burning that little poo poo to the ground with a well placed "actually, I meant more to Zenos than you ever have" .

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I have done O12 normal twice since patch hit but god drat that is a tight fight. I'menjoying the difficulty spike (and it'll lessen a bit when I have some mendacity gear under my belt) but god drat. Its a fun fight but its neen a while since I needed to waymark a raid fight.

Way cooler than Alex, honestly.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

DizzyBum posted:

Looks like Mr. Happy is working on O12S right now.

So the answer is no.

e: One of my streaming pet peeves is when people don't filter out their mouse and keyboard noise. I don't know how anyone can stand listening to taptaptaptaptapclickclickclickclickclick for hours on end.

Hey, the guy only does this for a living, you can't expect him to have basic audio knowledge!

Monathin posted:

Way cooler than Alex, honestly.

It took two raid tiers of "hey remember that game we made?" for omegascape to get cool. Alex is good from the start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DRK question: There's never any reason not to have Darkside on, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

Nope.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

pupuru posted:

It took two raid tiers of "hey remember that game we made?" for omegascape to get cool. Alex is good from the start.

Hey let's not pretend here, Gordias was pretty meh and Savage's kick you in the dick with a spiked nail bat difficulty wasn't the best either. Midas onward was great though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Generally, no. There are edge cases, however. Something like, "I've got Refresh on me (cuz bard or MCH) and I want to steal some extra MP regen during this transition". But 99% of the time, no.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pupuru posted:

Hey, the guy only does this for a living, you can't expect him to have basic audio knowledge!

PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN nisi and pentacle PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

also pre-nerf blaster and OG high wire on quickthinx being permanent and brute justice but PEPSIMAAAAAAAN

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Not to mention Manipulator aka the most boring end of raid tier boss ever.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Harrow posted:

Sometimes you can turn it off during long phase transitions to squeeze in a little more MP regen, but realistically you'll be fine if you leave it on forever; the weird little optimization tricks are barely worth the effort.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I didn't start playing until 3.2 or so but I know people like to speculate and toss around fan theories. In the lead-up to HW as details were, presumably, trickling out, was there any point where people knew about Thordan and knew there was an Alexander themed raid and presumed Alex would be tied in with Ishgard? It's usually holy-aspected and Ishgard of course is a big scary fort city. By the same token, what were peoples' general reactions to the reveal of what classic summon his fight did draw from?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Archyduke posted:

I didn't start playing until 3.2 or so but I know people like to speculate and toss around fan theories. In the lead-up to HW as details were, presumably, trickling out, was there any point where people knew about Thordan and knew there was an Alexander themed raid and presumed Alex would be tied in with Ishgard? It's usually holy-aspected and Ishgard of course is a big scary fort city. By the same token, what were peoples' general reactions to the reveal of what classic summon his fight did draw from?

We were told that Alex was linked to the gobbies when he was announced, so nah, there wasn't any speculation IRT Ishgard.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

pupuru posted:

Nah, Gordias is garbage top to bottom, and honestly I'd say even half of Midas wasn't good (Brute Justice is obviously a standout, but I like O11's music better than A8.)

Even if the fights were all "remember this game we made?" at least they were mildly interesting. Also, Alex's story was a giant wet fart, whereas at least Omega feels somewhat satisfying to conclude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've taken to doing this on every run of this dungeon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

how do i make markers, i want to start doing this