Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Sab0921 posted:

There is definitely no shortage of performance sedans driven by douchey thirty somethings (note I am a douchey 30 something)

I don't know what you're talking about. *Drives off in Zl1.*

ATS-V is a great choice though. Same chassis as my car and I honestly love driving it way more than my old WRX and R.

I still need to buy a hatchback for a DD though. 11mpg in traffic sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

joe944 posted:

11mpg in traffic sucks.

It's pretty terrible on the highway too!

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I've managed over 25mpg on the freeway, but not usually!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sab0921 posted:

I'm a bad person. Hatchback is always the answer and I have now contributed to the problem of car companies never wanting to make hatchbacks in the US because no one buys them.

There is definitely no shortage of performance sedans driven by douchey thirty somethings (note I am a douchey 30 something)

Pretty good fuckup, IMO. :cheers:

Companies aren't making sedans barely anymore. They're making tons of hatchbacks, they're just lifted and called SUVs or :airquote: Crossovers :airquote: instead. And you bought used so you don't really contribute to what an OEM cares about (sales figure wise) anyway. :v:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Flying down to Atlanta to buy a 2016 Focus RS for my wife anything should be looking for? No open service items so I think it's already had the gasket swapped.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 20, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Melthir posted:

Flying down to Atlanta to buy a 2016 Focus RS for my wife anything should be looking for? No open service items so I think it's already had the gasket swapped.

Call a dealer with the VIN, they can probably tell you the recall history. But yeah you're probably right.

Is the drift mode button worn out? :v: (sorry I don't know what to check specifically)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't think of anything offhand that's specific to the RS. Is it the Edition? I'd say getting the LSD is worth it if you can.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’m convinced the Fiesta is cursed. 2nd time I’ve been hit in less than 2 years, never in any accidents in any other car I’ve had.

Someone did a quick stop on the freeway, I stopped, person behind me stopped and got plowed by an Expedition which pushed them into me and me into the person in front. Damage to my car is relatively minor except for jacked up front/rear bumpers and this, which is the most concerning. These go all the way across the front. I was considering just not filing a claim because the process was so awful the last time but these look like stress fractures and not scratches. Ugh.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That sucks. Bumpers are bendy plastic. When they bend back into shape, sometimes that cracks the paint since it's not as ductile.

If your deductible isn't too bad, I'd probably file a claim. You weren't at fault either so maybe it's waived? I'm in a no fault state :suicide: so I don't remember how it works exactly elsewhere.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Claim it on the moron's insurance. I'm a little bitter about that stuff right now as my wife got rear ended (with my son in the car) at a stoplight. Everyone had stopped, including the guy that hit her, but slap dick decided to go a little early or some poo poo. Dumb bastard.

He's insured but I'm still going to take his skin while he's asleep.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah I’d definitely be claiming it against the crashers insurance, not my own.

It’s just insanely frustrating to have to be going through this again. I was so pissed on the way home I was considering just rolling over to the Ford dealer and trading it in for a 5.0 to be rid of it since apparently the magnetic grey is a little too magnetic.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Back when I was dumber I owned a gray Toyota Tundra, that thing was an idiot magnet. Got rear ended, t-boned twice (at low speed), keyed, and had a valet guy bend the passenger mirror up against a concrete support in a garage.

In retrospect, I guess I deserved it on some level for owning a stupid rear end truck. But still, I didn't drive like a jerk, was careful to park in the middle of parking spaces, etc.

Anyway, there's my gray vehicle story. gently caress that thing forever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

Back when I was dumber I owned a gray Toyota Tundra, that thing was an idiot magnet. Got rear ended, t-boned twice (at low speed), keyed, and had a valet guy bend the passenger mirror up against a concrete support in a garage.

In retrospect, I guess I deserved it on some level for owning a stupid rear end truck. But still, I didn't drive like a jerk, was careful to park in the middle of parking spaces, etc.

Anyway, there's my gray vehicle story. gently caress that thing forever.

My gray Mazda 626 was rear ended twice, and t boned, all within 12 months. I think once your car gets hit, it gives off pheromones that other cars are unable to resist.

RIP center oscillating fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nZCyuzo_8c

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
This checks out, my old fiesta had a camry dent when I got it. Four months later I get taken out in my neighborhood by someone running a stop sign.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My silver '09 Sonata was rear ended at an intersection so yeah, checks out.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
A couple weeks ago, a buddy and I parked my FiST and his blue RS next to each other behind strip center. We were playing some tabletop games at store, and its easier to carry our poo poo in when we park in the back. We left the shop later that day to discover both of our hoods dented to poo poo (assumedly by some fuckhead kids who jumped on them). Of course no cameras behind the store or anyway to figure out who did it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PaintVagrant posted:

A couple weeks ago, a buddy and I parked my FiST and his blue RS next to each other behind strip center. We were playing some tabletop games at store, and its easier to carry our poo poo in when we park in the back. We left the shop later that day to discover both of our hoods dented to poo poo (assumedly by some fuckhead kids who jumped on them). Of course no cameras behind the store or anyway to figure out who did it.

And this is why everyone should have dash cams.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh poo poo, that sucks. It should be covered under comprehensive, right?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Etrips posted:

That's something we're definitely thinking about; I've never looked into it before so I've got a lot of reading to do.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks. It should be covered under comprehensive, right?

I haven’t called yet. The car alarm and door ajar light is going off randomly, so maybe that’s hood related too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Etrips posted:

most of them dont work when the car is parked, op

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any suggestions for installing/setting up dash cams? I’ve got a decent one already, but I’d prefer to run the cable under the trim and not lose a port in the process.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
usually just involves you putting it to a 12 switched or nonswitched circuit depending on what you are trying to do.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

most of them dont work when the car is parked, op

A lot of them have parking modes where it will turn on if it detects a jolt, ie hoodlums jumping on hood, another car hitting, etc.

Edit: a little on the pricey side but if you are looking for front / rear camera options with parking mode I highly recommend the BlackVue line up. Super discreet and depending on the model has a bunch of different features. That being said. Do not get one with GPS or if you do make sure to disable it as in reality if brought up in a legal setting can do more harm against you.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 22, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I haven’t called yet. The car alarm and door ajar light is going off randomly, so maybe that’s hood related too.

It was hood related, I greased up the mechanism that triggers the sensor, drove it all day and it didn’t throw any more door ajar warnings.

Maybe I’ll be able to get a nights sleep...the drat alarm went off twice in the middle of last night.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It totally counts and gives me an excuse to show off my car yet again.

2019 Chevrolet Bolt

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Cool color.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

2019 Chevrolet Bolt

How do you like it? Those are neat little cars.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

2019 Chevrolet Bolt

That color was loving atrocious on Neons in the 90s, but looks fantastic on a Bolt. Nice choice.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

angryhampster posted:

How do you like it? Those are neat little cars.

Duck and Cover posted:

I picked it up today and drove it home (20ish minute drive). It's nice the front collision sensor did decide I wasn't breaking fast enough though (first time it happened I was like yep I should have been warned, second time though I was totally breaking chill!). Ride is quieter/smoother then my Mini. Oh and the backup camera/360 cameras are while still usable, trash. It's interior is nice enough but isn't where the money went in the car. I wanted something smallish, electric, buyable, with an 120 range or more. New England means winter, which means a large dip in range. New i3s cost too much (maybe they might be similar priced with dealership deals and I originally was planning on getting the cheaper trim Bolt), are sorta ugly, and used ones don't have enough range (Well for my use they do probably, but it's cutting it closer than I'd like and besides, sort of ugly). That pretty much eliminates everything besides maybe a e-Golf Leaf and Bolt. Bolt has better range, better acceleration, comes in a color. I test drove the Bolt I liked the Bolt so I bought the Bolt.

I think the a pillar is in a less then ideal space that or I didn't look when I should have. Probably a combination of the two. It also doesn't smell like animal urine and has a working air conditioner so that's a plus.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That color was loving atrocious on Neons in the 90s, but looks fantastic on a Bolt. Nice choice.

I looked at pictures of that, while they're similar colors I'd say the Dodges is less saturated.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

2019 Chevrolet Bolt

That’s an appropriate color for a car named Bolt. How’s the backseat? Do you think it can fit a rear facing car seat that can fit a 3-4 year old?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Screw that, can you drift that sucker?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Electro rally would be surreal - Dirt flying everywhere and just the whine of the motor.

Another GTI question: mud guards? Any better than the others?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Treat mud as an optional aftermarket exterior customization. Also go mudding in your GTI because gently caress the police.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have the OEM mudguards on mine and I like them. I did have to buy some auto washers because the screw head was wanting to push through the plastic. They also have 1 or 2 spots where they want you to drill into metal, I skipped that and just did the mounting spots that go into the fender liner. It’s been fine for 1.5 years.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Pick whichever you want. If you want to add more vibrant colors, go with rokblokz.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
pls no to mud guards

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:yeah:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

That’s an appropriate color for a car named Bolt. How’s the backseat? Do you think it can fit a rear facing car seat that can fit a 3-4 year old?

The backseat is actually usable at least for someone 6'1. I found this https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-car-seat-check-1420695413381/ although I do think they did a slight improvement to the front seats in 2018 so that may effect things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

pls no to mud guards

How else am I supposed to satisfy my rally fetish without mud guards, and a huge light rack on the front