Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Big fan of Kobo hardware, don't really know a drat thing about their online store though cause I pretty much buy everything from Amazon and convert. If my Kobo Glo HD ever starts feeling sluggish I'll upgrade to the Clara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

hope and vaseline posted:

Big fan of Kobo hardware, don't really know a drat thing about their online store though cause I pretty much buy everything from Amazon and convert. If my Kobo Glo HD ever starts feeling sluggish I'll upgrade to the Clara.

Store isn't too bad. Prices are mostly the same due to publishers setting the price so there's not much difference there. Amazon has extra things like Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading and they usually get exclusive titles. Most times you can stick with the Kobo Store if you want, and if the book is part of your library's inventory, you can loan it out through Overdrive easily (only for Aura One devices). Not a bad system. Kobo also does offer VIP membership that offers you a discount on most books and earning points that can be used to get even more books.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Zat posted:

Kobos are good.

Right now I'm a big fan of the native Pocket support. Whenever I see a long web article I feel like reading I tend to just click Firefox's "save to Pocket" button and then read it on my Kobo.

This is honestly almost enough for me to jump ship when my Kindle dies

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I love my Kobo Aura Edition 2 and only wish it had redshift type support. I'm also super anal and regretful about many of my purchases, so it's rare for me to feel great about any purchase.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

If my Kobo Glo HD ever starts feeling sluggish I'll upgrade to the Clara.

I had a Kobo Glo HD but it died in a tragic physics-related accident just after they discontinued the model in favour of the Aura Edition 2, which is not as good. :(

I mean, I like the Aura E2, but I liked the Glo HD more.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Store isn't too bad. Prices are mostly the same due to publishers setting the price so there's not much difference there. Amazon has extra things like Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading and they usually get exclusive titles. Most times you can stick with the Kobo Store if you want, and if the book is part of your library's inventory, you can loan it out through Overdrive easily (only for Aura One devices). Not a bad system. Kobo also does offer VIP membership that offers you a discount on most books and earning points that can be used to get even more books.

Oh yeah, how is the overdrive support? Outside of the aura one, is it just epub with adobe drm?

Speaking of adobe drm, I heard adobe's software to load books is truly atrocious :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MrBond posted:

Oh yeah, how is the overdrive support? Outside of the aura one, is it just epub with adobe drm?

Speaking of adobe drm, I heard adobe's software to load books is truly atrocious :(

Still need to use Adobe for non-Aura One devices I believe.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My Aura One's still going strong and feels great in the hand and for my eyes. I kinda miss tactile buttons, but a small press/swipe on the screen isn't too much to bear.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MrBond posted:

Adobe Digital Editions? Yeah, it's pretty garbage.

The good news is that if you don't mind buying through the Kobo website, you can just do that (or buy on the e-reader itself) and the books sync to the reader next time it connects to wifi. And if you do, or want to remove DRM, you can rip the keys out of ADE and use Calibre to manage your books instead.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Can anyone recommend a cover or a case (no sleeves please) for the Kobo Aura One?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Zosologist posted:

Can anyone recommend a cover or a case (no sleeves please) for the Kobo Aura One?

The default SleepCover has been great to me, even if it looks really plain. Super light and effective at sleeping/waking the Aura One.

I see it's temporarily out of stock, but if you can hold tight it's worth the money IMO.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zosologist posted:

I bought this case and currently use it. I like it better than the one I bought previous.

Edit: Oh to sorta explain, the old case had a bit more slack than I'd like when I fold the cover over. The one I use currently doesn't seem to have that problem and feels better in my hands.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 20, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
PM Press is selling ebooks for two bucks! http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102455632475&ca=03d78f7e-30fb-47cd-8933-ac0c0851b4bb

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Kindle Paperwhite question:

I’m 99% sure I used to have a document preloaded that would update automatically with all the notes and highlights I make, but I must have lost it somehow. Is there some other way to access all of my notes without having to open each book individually and go into the notes menu from there? Also I know I can do it online in my amazon account but I’d rather just have it on the device.

I may try a hard reset to see if that fixes it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Rolo posted:

Kindle Paperwhite question:

I’m 99% sure I used to have a document preloaded that would update automatically with all the notes and highlights I make, but I must have lost it somehow. Is there some other way to access all of my notes without having to open each book individually and go into the notes menu from there? Also I know I can do it online in my amazon account but I’d rather just have it on the device.

I may try a hard reset to see if that fixes it.

There is such a file and it should just be called My Notes or something...

My Clippings is what it's called on mine. Try using the search for it first to see if it's really gone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I do have a “My Clippings” but I can only see it by using the search bar and it stopped updating like 3 books ago. I must have deleted it by accident?

E: I fixed it but I also don’t know how I fixed it. Got the icon back and it has all the notes, even new ones.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 4, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So there's a new hueg Kobo out https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/amazons-kindle-oasis-has-a-new-competitor-the-waterproof-kobo-forma/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

That looks pretty dang great but man is there a huge design flaw. They put the sleep button right under the page turn buttons. :psyduck:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looks pretty neat but I still don’t see how the extra 100+ dollars for this or the oasis is worth it over the paperwhite. It’s exactly what it needs to be and half the price.

Unless you read in the shower I guess.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs0INyFODmQ

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Rolo posted:

Looks pretty neat but I still don’t see how the extra 100+ dollars for this or the oasis is worth it over the paperwhite. It’s exactly what it needs to be and half the price.

I thought this too until I got an Oasis g2. The extra screen size and having it flush with the bezels is pretty great, the page turn buttons are fantastic, and overall it just feels like a nice device and not made of cheap plastic.

Is that worth $100? Good question. If you read a bunch I would say it's a solid upgrade.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I just like mine because it’s inexpensive, cheap plastic. I can throw it on the couch, stuff it in my suitcase, leave it face down, whatever. It’s still brand new looking after a year of abuse.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rolo posted:

I think I just like mine because it’s inexpensive, cheap plastic. I can throw it on the couch, stuff it in my suitcase, leave it face down, whatever. It’s still brand new looking after a year of abuse.

Same. Also, kinda weirdly maybe, I feel less pressure to use it because it was relatively cheap. If there's something that's cheaper on Google Play or I have my phone on me and don't want to get up to get my Paperwhite, I can just read on my phone instead of thinking "I paid $200 (or whatever) for that e-reader and need to get my money's worth." I do think whatever I get next I'll want the flush screen, but that's the only minor annoyance I have with the Paperwhite.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, I get that. I pretty much only upgraded because I was already using my Paperwhite 2-3 hours a day. I just handed it down to a friend without one and upgraded to the Oasis

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Rolo posted:

I did this in college but if you just put a kindle into a ziploc it works just fine

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got mine with a discount for a trade in plus another 30 bucks off because I asked for a price break. The oasis is awesome. I love it just for the fact I can throw my entire book library on there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I pretty much only upgraded because I was already using my Paperwhite 2-3 hours a day. I just handed it down to a friend without one and upgraded to the Oasis
This is what happened after I gave a friend of mine my old Kindle Touch. He devours books so it worked out well for him. Then I upgraded to a Paperwhite and wowie zowie this thing is nice. Haven't had to charge it yet. That pageflip feature is super cool and addresses my one huge problem with e-readers. The only complaint with my Paperwhite is that the back-lighting is uneven near the bottom of the screen. I dunno if all models have that issue or just my own, but it's still a huge upgrade over using a headlamp (when camping) or a clip-on light.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I loved my Voyager and saw no need for the Oasis, until I broke my Voyager and got the Oasis on a 15% discount or something. The Oasis is amazing and I love the unbalanced form factor that you can use left or right-handed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How durable/solid is the oasis? Like said I love the paper white because it feels like throwing around a 2001 Nokia phone as opposed to an iPhone.

I didn’t realize they’d lower the price just for asking, also with trade in and a trade discount that’s like a crazy amount off the top.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuLzR65WSU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Has Kobo just given up on making 6" e-readers or something? I wonder if I should be stockpiling Claras.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Has Kobo just given up on making 6" e-readers or something? I wonder if I should be stockpiling Claras.

There's probably no way they can compete on volume in the low end against Amazon. OTOH I have an Oasis in large part because I didn't want to buy a $250+ device from Walmart or Rakuten

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just want an Onyx reader, but they're so expensive for what you get. Still, it's Android, which means superior organizational options.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

I did this in college but if you just put a kindle into a ziploc it works just fine

I did this too, with an old ST Glowlight Nook. My shower in college had a little seat in it for some reason, and the frontlight on the reader meant I could turn the lights off.

It ruled.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I did this too, with an old ST Glowlight Nook. My shower in college had a little seat in it for some reason, and the frontlight on the reader meant I could turn the lights off.

It ruled.

Hell yeah dude

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New IPX8 waterproof Paperwhite out. And still for $129. Wow.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/amazon-makes-kindle-paperwhite-waterproof-and-it-still-starts-at-129/

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The flush screen is the real upgrade imo

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hatty posted:

The flush screen is the real upgrade imo

For sure

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dang, that's practically an upgrade from my Voyage. Guess I need to decide if I care about the buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ooh I’m gonna get that.

No more white??

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2018