Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hah my panda corys must be lazy, I find the odd red cherry carcass in their tank that they haven't touched. I don't think the parameters are right in there for cherry shrimp since they have done poorly despite lots of cover, meanwhile the paratya shrimp are doing really well. Too soft? or maybe those shrimp are getting old now. I haven't really mixed shrimp and fish much, just with corys and gudgeons and the gudgeons don't seem to bother shrimp living or dead. They probably eat shrimplets though.

I've had rednose shrimp climb out and leave and they got quite far, but I've never had cherries go wandering. I did find a crispy dwarf crayfish half way down the corridor one time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I found a cherry shrimp in the filter when I cleaned it last week. I attempted to get it back in the tank but it jumped off the sponge and now I’d imagine he’s a little crispy somewhere in the room.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My tanks got all sorted out and settled last week.
- 1 heavily planted 20G tank with 4 ever growing goldfish.
- 1 heavily planted 10G tank with a betta.
- 1 semi planted 10G tank with 4 "glofish" tetras (I have some artificial plants in there just to emphasize the blue light "glo" thing).

Once I was satisfied they were cycling and everyone was happy (and they all seemed more active and comfortable than when they were squeezed together in smaller spaces) I went back to the fish store. I got 6 more glofish for that tank which is the max I want to put in there and 6 (actual) neon tetras for the betta tank. So far so good. The glofish are all active and seem good. Its an "unnatural" tank that a lot of you guys might not like but I think it adds something and its not like I genetically modified the guys, right?

The betta thank is much more "natural" with a lot of plants and a sort of cave I built with rocks. The betta loves the cave and swims in and out of the openings and around it and everything. He's all over the place and I think its good. He "rests" a lot but I gather that's common for a betta and he's got a ton of places to do it now and he seems to enjoy taking all of them. He was building "bubble nests" which I gather is another good sign. And he doesn't seem to care about the neon tetras at all. They seem fine with him as well even if the occasionally scatter when he comes swimming through (which I find kind of hilarious to see).

I love the neons and I had no idea they were so tiny. I got 6 as the minimum suggested to school but I feel like I can get up to at least 10 without any stress on the betta. Roomie wants 20 which feels like too much. Its weird to be the one with self restraint in this considering how little I actually have with them. I'm trying to figure out feeding them with the betta but just like him they seem to like shrimp more than flakes so that might be kind of standard. I just want to keep the diet "balanced." They're so small I'm wondering if my food is just too big.

I still would like to get some algae eaters and something for my goldfish tank but I'm staying put right now. Make sure all my glofish get along and are healthy and neons stay good with the betta. I haven't been "quarantining" so I don't want to go crazy and keep adding more potential risks. All the glofish came from the same place within 2 weeks so hopefully that minimizes any of that stuff.

I'll do some videos later. I really like the look of my betta tank and the cave. Both he and I seem happy with each other.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Congrats on sorting out tanks. If your looking at algae eaters, confirm that they're happy with goldfish, but I'd recommend some nerite snails

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When I first kept my shrimp I had a wide pore coarse filter that baby shrimp would get into. Over time a pale morlock shrimp colony populated the filter area, and the regular shrimp in the main tank.

Occasionally a regular shrimp would get sucked into the filter zone and not do so well because they're too well fed and big to easily move through the filter.

Occasionally the regular tank area would get a cloud of morlock parts that wandered too close to the pump.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have a bunch of plant particulate matter floating around my tank and I'm not really sure what to do about it. I used a siphon and removed a bunch of stuff but it seems to come back in it's entirety. The filter I'm using didn't really have anything in it when I rinsed it earlier today.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think it can be a bit of a toss up between water clarity and shrimp safety. If you've got a prefilter sponge on your inlet you're really not going to get the big chunks out of your water column. You also need enough flow in the rest of the tank to lift it up and keep it moving. I'm having problems at the moment with dying pest riccia and end of season dead duckweed fouling up everything. It really does just keep coming and coming.

I've got a lot of love for the https://youtu.be/tskbwpfHq-o eheim prefilters which are a couple of stacked medium sponges in plastic cages, the area is broad enough that livestock can easily move away and it traps a ton of gunk without dumping it in your tank come cleaning time. I don't think the sponge is fine enough to be shrimplet-proof though and they are pretty expensive.

Maybe some kind of DIY scrubber, where you stick a bottle with the end cut off stuffed full of filter floss on the inlet of a power filter and let it suck the mess up for you?

Edit could not get that drat link to work while phone posting

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 19, 2018

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I have three large shrimp in my 38 gallon tank, one Singapore Flower Shrimp and two Vampire Shrimp. I see the flower shrimp all the time - he loves to hang out on the filter intake, which seems very sensible for a filter shrimp. The vampire shrimp? It's amazing how such large animals can completely vanish. One of them is even red, which you would think would be hard to hide. I know they're alive because I'll catch little glimpses of their filters sticking out of nooks and crannies and, very rarely, see them as they bolt for cover when I turn the light on.

I mean, they are vampires, but...

I'm waffling on my spare ten gallon tank. Should I save it as a back-up or use it as a betta tank? I'm very tempted by koi bettas.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hot snail-on-snail action

(Seriously, they've been going at it for days.)

Little tiny shrimp!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've noticed some of my plants have this sorta clear buildup like a spiderweb or something on them, here's a pic:

What the hell is that? There's nothing living in my tank but plants right now :(

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It kinda looks like biofilm to me. Tends to be common in newer tanks or ones with little to no water movement. Ugly but harmless.

For an update on my shrimp tank: thread title is in full force. Bladder snails apparently gently caress like the world's ending tomorrow. I'd like to control the population naturally, but I don't want to get an assassin snail and then have another mouth to feed once the snails are gone. Guess I'll resort to the lettuce trick.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Luneshot posted:

It kinda looks like biofilm to me. Tends to be common in newer tanks or ones with little to no water movement. Ugly but harmless.

Thanks! It's a tank less than 3 weeks old but it has an 80gph filter/pump in a 5g tank so the movement should be okay. I can see all my plants swaying at least.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
The filters I have the pump is in the bottom of the canister and basically sucks the water in as it pumps water out. Works great for my setup since powerloss does happen, whether by weather, or just the dinks in the next room thinking "Hey, we need a bunch of electric poo poo plugged into this one wall socket." That way they don't lose their priming when I'm at work or something. I've come home to the HOB filters grinding before. But every now and then I find shrimp in it, none the worse for wear and just plop them back in the tank. Even found one of the baby kuhli loaches had squiggled his way in there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I might have the problem you guys are discussing. I lost one of my neons. Found him stuck to the filter dead. I don't know if that's what killed him. the others swim around the filter and don't seem to have much problem. Its possible he died of something else. He was always kind of off on his own away from the school (at least I assume it was him since the rest have been schooling since) so I'm just keeping an eye out, testing the water and doing changes, and hoping for the best. But I'm trying to figure out if there's a simple way to protect like cutting up a water bottle and using it as a shield or something.

Time to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjoZlU2kMaU

I love this tank. I love the cave. Its just three rocks stacked. There was a cup originally there but I didn't care for it and the betta was constantly swimming between the cracks. So I took it away and gave him a lot more room to swim through and he loves doing that. In, out, around, through. I was a little worried that it might be structurally unsound but I worked on it, shook it a bunch, and think its pretty secure.

I want to add more neons (10-12) and give them a nice school and something else. An algae eater perhaps, but I'd just like another guy roughly the size of the betta or like 2-3 half his size. Just something bigger than the neons to giv the tank a little more action. But I'm holding up until I'm sure the neons are ok and I know what the right thing to add is.

Ostara - my betta - just seems incredibly happy and active and that's my main priority. I love the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWPaFmCXBc

I imagine a lot of you might not like this one. Too unnatural. I get that. Its definitely not as cool to me as my more natural cave betta tank. But I really like the difference between the two and how full and colorful this one looks. As you can see they school a bit. If the tank were bigger they'd probably do it more, but they all seem ok in the 10G. I think that's it for the tank. I might try some kind of spineless algae eater but I don't want to crowd this tank. There's real plants in there but they don't show up under the blue light so I added some of the artificial ones I had just to highlight the "Glo" thing. I'm not sure how the live plants do under the blue light but I guess we'll find out. I planted it lighter than the rest so I mean to pay more attention to testing it and water changes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I liked them both. The neon thing is a fun/bright theme to go with.
I'm fairly sure that one died of other causes though, those guys can swim pretty hard so unless you've got your filter set to typhoon, they shouldn't have issues. He probably didn't adjust well, or became the beater fish the others shunned and just died of depression/starvation. I've had a few fish in the past that went that way.

Decided to clean up the big 30 today. I planted some amazon sword in there about two weeks back, just one or two stalk rooted plants and jesus, I cleared out one of those bulb plants since it spent its load and those swords have taken over the whole corner behind it.

Also decided the dwarf hairgrass wasn't working too well in the betta tank. Any slight adjustment in water flow and it would upend a swath of the stems. So scooped the top layer of sand off and planted a few sections of nano anubias, added some more driftwood with java moss tied to it and did some minor tweaking with the lighting. Betta's back in there swimming circles between the new driftwood and the heater with a few side trips to the corner near me to say hi and back to his swimming.

Aside from that I'm just wrapped in the endless battle of duckweed since it sprung up. Screen the surface and wait for the next patch to sprout. gently caress this poo poo. This'll teach me that next time I see a few leaves drop in with the new plants not to go "eh, it'll likely die off"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 22, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWPaFmCXBc

I imagine a lot of you might not like this one. Too unnatural. I get that.

Naw man, neon tanks are fun as hell. Plus it gives me a chance to post my crazy 55g tank from a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lb_3Fij6Yk

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve had a grand total of one piece of duckweed appear in my tank with some plants I bought and got rid of it immediately because it’s a noxious weed in my area that can attract a fine if you’re found with it. Not allowed to have frogbit either so I do without floating plants

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Naw man, neon tanks are fun as hell. Plus it gives me a chance to post my crazy 55g tank from a few years ago.

gently caress yeah.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I’ve had a grand total of one piece of duckweed appear in my tank with some plants I bought and got rid of it immediately because it’s a noxious weed in my area that can attract a fine if you’re found with it. Not allowed to have frogbit either so I do without floating plants

What about something like water lettuce?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Floating water sprite does reasonably well for me, I am going to try using it to provide some nice dim lighting for the chili rasboras I’m hoping to get. It gets pretty huge though so it will probably be just that, some wood and some moss in the tank. I have a couple of chunks corralled by a loop of airtube suction cupped to the glass in my main tank and the root structure seems to be very popular with my tetras to sleep in.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, my tetras loved hiding in the frogbit I had, but the duckweed started going wild and out competed way quick. Fortunately the shop I work at runs stainless mesh on a few jobs, so I just snip off a section of the scrapped roll, wash it well and use it in pieces as needed now to skim the surface. Hopefully when that's done I can reintroduce more frogbit or maybe some water lettuce

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Enos Cabell posted:

I still link this thing to people at least a few times a year.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

My 6 monthly fish delivery window is coming up next week! I’m finally getting those Sleisbeck rainbow fish I decided on, the chili rasbora order didn’t pan out so I’m gettting some espei instead and some black kuhlie loaches to go with them (I read that they are smaller than regular kuhlies, not sure if that’s true). I thought about getting something else as well but I regretted having too many quarantine tanks on the go last time so I’m going to wait the next 6 months before I buy anything for the bowfront that used to have rosy barbs in. I was thinking a school of upside down catfish would work in that tank, to make a catfish community of sorts, as I don’t think the water parameters are quite suitable there for the rainbowfish I wanted but it’s perfect for upside down cats. And they’re so goofy!

Hopefully I’ll be able to throw some quarantine tanks together in time. I’m going to completely break down and boil/bleach the previous plague tank, at the very least it and its filter won’t be involved in the upcoming quarantine as I’ll be using a tank with a proper hood that I found so that I don’t have any escapees during the quarantine period. I should have time for the rasboras/kuhlie quarantine to be set up but I think they didn’t read the note that went with my rainbowfish order as it appears they are sending them this week not next week. With a bit more cleaning and a big water change I’ll be able to use the tank the crayfish used to be in as a quarantine tank at short notice. It’s 15g just not as long as the tank I had wanted to use. I’ve moved the crays in with my main gudgeon “colony” as they proved themselves totally harmless with the gudgeon culls I had living with them. More interested in fighting each other and stealing each other’s food and so on. I suspect they’d eat eggs or fry but the colony never worked for breeding how I’d hoped so I don’t think there are fry for them to eat anyway.

I had a fish adventure at work today: noticed the filter wasn’t running and the classroom goldfish were gasping, and was able to help get the pump started again. Four medium goldfish in 5 gallons, at least the filter is fairly decent and adds some nice aeration once it’s running. I have no idea how those fish are still alive.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fish Noise posted:

I still link this thing to people at least a few times a year.

Hah, that is awesome! I should really set up a tank to reuse all those decorations again.

So, turns out the Finnex 24/7 Planted+ is a piece of crap. Bought mine in Feb of this year, and the last few weeks noticed a high pitch whine in the room with that tank. Traced it down to the light, and after some googling it turns out it's a very common problem. Warranty is only six months, so now I'm stuck with a $175 paperweight.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 27, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

After my finnex clip-on light died, just 12 months of service or so, I took it to bits and found the inbuilt power supply looked pretty standard and saw there were a ton of cheap made in china type power supplies/LED driver circuits that looked like a decent substitute. I didn't end up getting one of those though and instead have a scheme to use an external power supply sufficient to drive the LEDs. There didn't look to be any current limiting on the board itself, and the LED lamp part had inbuilt resistors to do the job so I think it will work without cooking the LEDs. The 24/7 is bound to be a bit more complicated than that but I am betting the LEDs are still fine and it's just the power supply that's gone. But if you aren't into electronics at all there's probably not much you can do.

Successful delivery of 8 alive (but very cold) rainbowfish today! I have 3 definite males, 4 probable females, and one I'm not sure of that fared the worst of the bunch. He's got the darkest colors of any of them so I'm assuming its a male, but it's also the smallest fish. He's swimming at a bit of an incline, and his pectoral fins are pretty wrecked but definitely is showing a lot of fighting spirit. I had them warming up in another tank while I prepped the quarantine but then realised it would take ages for the QT to warm up and they needed to get out of their bags sooner rather than later. So they ended up getting a bit cool again but overall are looking pretty good already. Once they got over the initial shock of being put into QT, no more than 5 mins, they have been watching and following as people walk past the tank, exploring their surrounds, tasting duckweed to see if it's food. Even if the wonky one doesn't make it I am happy with these guys, photos really can't capture the iridescence of a happy rainbowfish. The only rainbows I've seen in person have been really sick looking fluvitalis at the LFS, they're not the prettiest of fish at the best of times let alone totally stressed out and surrounded by disease. I can't wait to see how these guys colour up, there is already a lot of pink in the males' fins. I'm not expecting anything gorgeous but I think they will go well with my mirror-shiny porthole rasbora that I can't get schoolmates for.

Really not sure what food these guys should get though, I've tried them on flakes (tasted but spat out), worms (mostly ignored but nibbled at), pellets (a couple of fish ate, most fish ignored), crumble (tasted and spat out), crumbled soft algae pellets (ignored) and the only thing they were keen to eat were some live brine shrimp. Maybe once they settle in they will be less fussy, mostly I just wanted to get some nutrition into the sick fish to help him heal and I'm not sure he got any of the brine shrimp. They're probably not going to get those very often, the brine shrimp are more like pets to me than feeders but thought it was worth a try just to get the new fish eating.

I woke them up to take this video so their colours are all gone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9VrTyY-IM

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Cool beans - rainbowfish are amazing, especially when they get huge.

BTW for brine shrimp, I use this thing, it really works great. Set it up and then 24 hours later every time I walk by I can harvest and feed some brine shrimp, all day long. Next morning wash it out and reset. Thinking of getting another so I can feed brine shrimp every day. Really nice.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had the canopy off my 90g while I was troubleshooting the problem with those Finnex lights, and forgot to put it back on before I went to bed last night. Woke up this morning and found that one of my rainbowfish managed to jump out overnight :(

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mozi posted:

Cool beans - rainbowfish are amazing, especially when they get huge.

BTW for brine shrimp, I use this thing, it really works great. Set it up and then 24 hours later every time I walk by I can harvest and feed some brine shrimp, all day long. Next morning wash it out and reset. Thinking of getting another so I can feed brine shrimp every day. Really nice.

K that things pretty sweet. Havent considered this route for food before

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finnex customer support was quick to get back to me, but this response sucks.

quote:

The Planted plus 48" always have the noise, but maybe you never . When the fixture is at Max the noise level is very low to nothing. When the power is reduce during the evening time is more noticeable like you said. That is normal for the Planted Plus 24/7 48" fixture. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So yeah, strongly suggest avoiding this light unless you have a very high tolerance for coil whine.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stoca Zola posted:

Really not sure what food these guys should get though, I've tried them on flakes (tasted but spat out), worms (mostly ignored but nibbled at), pellets (a couple of fish ate, most fish ignored), crumble (tasted and spat out), crumbled soft algae pellets (ignored) and the only thing they were keen to eat were some live brine shrimp.

I've had this issue before, but normally after a day or two they start to eat readily. After all, they just went through a hell of a trip and got splooshed into an entirely new habitat

Haha, my betta tank is starting to grow algae on the glass. I guess at least something's growing, the java moss doesn't look too great

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 28, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the reassuring words SocketWrench. They don't look like they're starving or going to fade away so I'll wait and see. I am in love with the personality of these rainbowfish already, at first glance they seem shy and hide if I approach the tank, but as long as I stand still they shortly come out again, go back to whatever they were doing, and occasionally come over to stare at me through the glass. So it's more that they're wild than shy, a bit cautious, but also curious - they aren't coming to the side of the tank to beg me for food that's for sure. And they school really tightly which I think will look great in the bigger tank once they're ready to move in!

No feeding issues with the second batch of new fish, which arrived today somewhat unexpectedly, they were supposed to post them next week but shipped them early for reasons I don't understand. The store's shipping page says "if you are interstate and buy on a Thursday or Friday we will send them to you the following Tuesday to avoid delays over the weekend" which is exactly what I wanted. But I had an email from the courier telling me to expect the parcel today, which led to a late night panic setting up the second quarantine tank last night. Worth it, by the time the fish arrived everything was ready! I got 12 pork chop (espei) rasboras and 6 black kuhlie loaches (pangio oblonga). The rasboras schooled up immediately and came over and begged for food; they don't know that they're small or they don't care and they're not fussy about what they eat. The kuhlies draped themselves over the plant like discarded socks, "hid" by laying all over the top of the sponge filter, and generally endeared themselves to me immediately. My only regret is that I only got 6 and that I didn't buy kuhlies much sooner, but I didn't want to overload the tank I intend for them to move into once quarantine is over. I can always get more later! Or maybe breed my own, who knows. All the new fish seem fairly relaxed even though the quarantine tank is fairly bare and they are definitely domesticated compared to the rainbows. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, so far no obvious signs of illness, parasites or other issues.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The new 350 litre arrived while I was out of town, but my parents were nice enough to set it up for me. It looks like it came with its own filter, so I've filled it up and dropped in some substrate. It's a Juwel tank, but it didn't feel like their filter was disturbing the surface enough so I've ended up pointing the flow upwards. I'm not sure how well that'll circulate the whole volume of water, but I've got a spare pump anyway so I can revert the filter pump back afterwards if I have to. I just need to sort out my socket situation. On the other hand, my dad, who used to keep fish back long before the internet, is convinced it needs to be blowing bubbles into the tank and is pretty adamant that there won't be enough oxygen with the way it is now. He knows that they don't breath the bubbles, but isn't satisfied with oxygen levels unless there are lots of them. I imagine I'll be setting this pump up either way.

It won't be long until the four bigger goldfish are getting moved into the 350 litre. I'm looking forward to it. I remember when I finally got the oldest, Lotus, into a tank bigger than 5 gallons and she seemed to just have a lot of fun swimming around at a faster pace. I wanna see what they do with the new size. I'm planning to get some rocks and stuff to scape it with more features for them as well.

The other two fish are growing, though honestly it doesn't feel like it's as fast as the bigger four did? It might just be because they're situated so close to the much larger goldfish, but I'll be moving them into the 120 litre once the larger four are moved out. I reckon they'd still fit into Blueberry's mouth right now. They're being fed regularly, and their tank's temperature is often kept around 22 degrees celsius. I'm hoping they'll be big enough to share a tank in the next month or two.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I was rather surprised at how friendly my betta is. I got to work on cleaning the algae off the glass and do some other maintenance on it, the whole time he kept as close as he could to my hand, even pecking it a few times. I mean the only time I really interact with him is feeding and going all baby talk "fishy fishy fishy" on occasion.
My tetras just come out out of curiousity and bolt back into the plants.
And my kuhlis, they creep the housekeeper out lol. They look too much like snakes when they come out.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

It's a Juwel tank, but it didn't feel like their filter was disturbing the surface enough so I've ended up pointing the flow upwards. I'm not sure how well that'll circulate the whole volume of water, but I've got a spare pump anyway so I can revert the filter pump back afterwards if I have to. I just need to sort out my socket situation. On the other hand, my dad, who used to keep fish back long before the internet, is convinced it needs to be blowing bubbles into the tank and is pretty adamant that there won't be enough oxygen with the way it is now. He knows that they don't breath the bubbles, but isn't satisfied with oxygen levels unless there are lots of them. I imagine I'll be setting this pump up either way.

This is what I did with my Juwel filter outlet too, but it was a bit splashy so I have it angled upwards but more towards the rear wall. On the opposite side of the tank rear wall I have a wave maker which I’ve got pointing diagonally towards the front glass, and this causes the flow to complete the loop back to the filter’s overflow inlet. The wave maker hits the front glass fairly high up and then the current spirals down then up again. And then lastly, I have an air stone directly under the wave maker so the bubbles are pushed forward in the flow and they stay in the water a lot longer. Current thinking with oxygenation is that the water has to move around a lot so that more of it is in contact with the upper surface of the tank and an air stone is still a good way to achieve this, it’s not that the bubbles add oxygen to the water, it’s that the bubbles create a lot of lift and pull the water at the bottom up to the surface where it can get in contact with air. The more rippling and turbulence at the surface the better and a stream of bubbles is really good at making turbulence. Having water falling into the tank from higher up is also a good way but it’s not as practical and it’s noisy. If you add an air stone you won’t just be humouring your dad, you’ll be adding water movement and a bit of insurance in case your pump ever jams or clogs and loses flow. Some fish seem to enjoy the bubbles too, I quite often find a loach headstanding in the stream of bubbles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SocketWrench posted:

I was rather surprised at how friendly my betta is. I got to work on cleaning the algae off the glass and do some other maintenance on it, the whole time he kept as close as he could to my hand, even pecking it a few times. I mean the only time I really interact with him is feeding and going all baby talk "fishy fishy fishy" on occasion.
My tetras just come out out of curiousity and bolt back into the plants.
And my kuhlis, they creep the housekeeper out lol. They look too much like snakes when they come out.

My goldfish are either the friendliest fish ever or are trying to eat my hand whenever I'm doing something in their tank. Last night I noticed one of my plants had come uprooted. I don't know if that's my fault doing a bad job planting it, if the goldfish dig too much, or what, but I was trying to get it back in the ground and having no luck (and kicking up a ton of dirt making it hard to see). So I remove this big rear end rock it was behind to get a cleaner look and keep going adding some more dirt and gravel to try and get the roots buried (and messing up visibility more). Then I try and get the rock back in place and can barely see and can't make it fit without crushing plants. And the whole time my goldfish are just pecking at my hand and swimming all around me and the rock and the plant and I'm doing everything I can to avoid accidently crushing one of them under this thing. I swear at one point I nearly put it down and one swam right up from under it.

I swear goldfish are part dog.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Finally took some phone video of my little guy waiting for me to stop filming and give his food already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SollKSw4ZBg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My plants in the goldfish tank look like poo poo and have for weeks. Lots of browning. I got potassium and CO2 and something else and nothing seems to be helping.

Then last night I'm looking at the algae built up on the filter and making a mental note I need to clean the filter today when I do water changes and tests. And it hits me. Its the same color as the plants. So I stick my hand in, scratch a little at the plant, and sure enough, it scrapes away.

So what's the best course of action here? Do i need to take my little algae cleaning toothbrush to all the plant leaves carefully?

Do I need to get the algae eaters I've been trying to figure out? I put a black molly in my beta/community tank last week and he went to town on the algae in there. But internet says they'll kill the goldfish. That seems to be the story on most of the algae eaters. Either they're too big or they'll attack the goldfish. Snails seems to be what people keep saying but I'm not sure I want that since don't they eat plants? I also don't really know where to get them.

I'll cut my light time down a couple of hours? I guess I'll do my best with the toothbrush tonight and do a water change. Internet seems to say brown algae is harmless and should go away in time, but it also says the plants should be what makes it go away so I dunno.

If I just don't feed my goldfish for a day or two will they turn on the algae? They suck on everything else so I'm kind of surprised they aren't going for it, but its largely growing on the broad leaf plants they don't seem to like.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 1, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I also don't know what to do with my algea - I figured I'd leave the lights on for a few 24hr periods since what's the difference - only have plants in there. I've got *tons* of algae now. Not entirely sure what to do because the tank is young and the plants aren't really anchored that well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do about 12 hours on, 12 hours off (give or take) so I guess I'll cut down to 8-10 for awhile and see what happens. I was trying to give them a schedule akin to normal daylight (while also having them on when I was around to enjoy them) but I guess it doesn't really matter if the tank lights are off in the morning and day when I'm not around and my goldfish turn into night owls, right? They'll probably sleep more comfortable when I'm not around anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Split up your light periods - I used to do a dark period in the middle of the day, so three hours in the morning and three hours in the evening when I was actually enjoying the tank

Do regular water changes extremely diligently

Dosing with Excel seemed to help me

Manually remove the algae with your hand, a toothbrush, or a credit card before water changes and suck it up with your siphon

Add fast growing plants like anacharis or frog bit that can compete with your algae

Research snails or shrimp that might be able to cohabitate in your tanks - I wouldn’t suggest this with an over crowded goldfish tank

I can’t stress breaking up the photo period and doing water changes enough