Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s like lidar, only using visible spectrum photography. it can somehow build in z values but it can’t penetrate foliage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

not much. phodar deez nuts.
DAMMIT BEEPS

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:kiddo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

not much. phodar deez nuts.

iospace posted:

*shot freezes, canned laughter*

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

*roll credits*

yospos is filmed before a live studio audience.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the studio audience:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

I see your point

but why the gently caress are you defending a rich person by poking holes in a story making fun of someone who is rich?

it is fascinating how you think calling out an obvious lie based around having a friend at some weird arctic tourist base is "defending the rich".

like sagebrush got a history on these weird little stories that are obviously fake, like when he claimed there was an "african tribe" that punishes murderers by holding them in solitary in "the tents" and then have a ceremony where the murderer is rowed out in a lake and if the victim's family rescues the person from the middle of the lake the "tribe" treats it as if the murder never happened because ~forgiveness~

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

it’s like lidar, only using visible spectrum photography. it can somehow build in z values but it can’t penetrate foliage.

this doesn't make any sense. is it stereoscopic vision, time of flight or what?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

multiple perspectives i think.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
huh, i wonder if a IMU having absolute garbage for 1/3rd of its inputs would possibly do something unexpected

or if "drone magnetic interference" has like a billion DJI forums results whining about piddling things like parking structure rebar rendering drones inoperable without somehow generating a wikipedia entry

but seriously folks, most consumer electronics won't work in extreme temperatures, even automotive grade components only gets you to -40

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

it is fascinating how you think calling out an obvious lie based around having a friend at some weird arctic tourist base is "defending the rich".

like sagebrush got a history on these weird little stories that are obviously fake, like when he claimed there was an "african tribe" that punishes murderers by holding them in solitary in "the tents" and then have a ceremony where the murderer is rowed out in a lake and if the victim's family rescues the person from the middle of the lake the "tribe" treats it as if the murder never happened because ~forgiveness~

uh, im a member and i have the armband to prove it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i heard about a native american tribe that redeems accused murderers by giving them peyote and tying them to a stump inside a tipi and making them listen to an elder read out fishmech posts until they see their spirit poster

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i heard about a native american tribe that redeems accused murderers by giving them peyote and tying them to a stump inside a tipi and making them listen to an elder read out fishmech posts until they see their spirit poster

what’s his name?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got bigpeeler, unfortunately

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i heard about one that eats poisonous plants and whoever barfs last is the leader.

that actually happened.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Wilson is also known for founding Hatreon, a crowdfunding platform popular among white nationalists and neo-Nazis who were shut out of mainstream platforms after the violent rally in Charlottesville.
sounds like a real winner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

i just don't see how this results in a drone not being able to navigate, unless the thing the operator wanted it to do was specifically follow a magnetic heading.

like i doubt the cheapy ones with a glorified rc car controller care about a compass direction, you steer them basically all manually and even the very fancy ones still have that usually. and you're usually expected to keep the thing in visual range to handle that, or you're going to be putting on a camera that can be used for flying visually.

plus the ones fancy enough to have gps nav should be able to move between gps waypoints absent the magnetic compass even if it'll be less reliable than if you're sitting at the magnetic equator and can expect the most reliable compass response.

ok so to be clear your argument is "here are a few ways that i think drones should work, q.e.d." but you don't actually know how they work, nor have you presented any evidence that they do work like you suggest.

imagine that the drone has some simplistic navigation logic that uses the current gps position to calculate the bearing to the next waypoint, turns the drone to face that bearing using the compass, and flies forwards. what happens to the drone if the software doesn't account for magnetic declination? what happens if the declination at your location is 50+ degrees?

fishmech posted:

that story was told to me by a friend years ago and i repeated it here without bothering to verify it. after getting called out, i dug around and it turned out to be an anecdote written for the nicole kidman movie the interpreter. i've been earnest about that on a number of occasions, you can dig through my post history if you want

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

iospace posted:

I see your point

but why the gently caress are you defending a rich person by poking holes in a story making fun of someone who is rich?

don't check the mech

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i do kinda enjoy that fishmech has never heard of ecotourism, though, and their immediate reaction to learning something new is "it must be a lie"

that's some serious mental conditioning

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

ok so to be clear your argument is

no, it's that GPS absolutely does not have anything to do with magnetism, and the magnetic poles/high declination do not prevent GPS navigation from working. this is how it is known that your story is bs.

but within your boneheaded theory, you have the mere amount of declination being enough to defeat using a compass. this is false, declination tables are widely published and even something a few years out of date won't radically break your navigation. you have the gps to tell you where the device is and lookup proper declination. it doesn't mean your compass is gonna spin around wildly or any such nonsense.

Sagebrush posted:

i do kinda enjoy that fishmech has never heard of ecotourism, though,

that's not what i said, i said that your story is dumb as is bragging about totally knowing a guy who works in the arctic and said gps doesn't work

Sagebrush posted:

that story was told to me by a friend years ago and i repeated it here without bothering to verify it

and you just did the very same thing here broheim thats why i brought it up.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 20, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a UAV uses a combination of gps (absolute position), inertial references (dynamic orientation), and magnetic sensors (absolute orientation) to navigate in three-dimensional space. when one third of that data is wrong or unreliable, navigation suffers.

your new argument, based on your recent searches for "what is magnetic declination" and "how do drones work" (look at those goalposts fly!) is that obviously the drone manufacturers would have accommodated in their software for extreme cases such as operation close to the magnetic poles because it's so obvious therefore none of these coders could be lazy or cheap. even you know better than that.

incidentally, gps itself also breaks down in the arctic for reasons unrelated to magnetic declination: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/navigating-the-arctic-why-gps-might-fail-you/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 20, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fishmech, the "Technically correct, the best kind of correct" meme made flesh.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

I see your point

because of who they are as a person

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

a punishment crueler than death

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fishmech posted:

no, it's that GPS absolutely does not have anything to do with magnetism, and the magnetic poles/high declination do not prevent GPS navigation from working. this is how it is known that your story is bs.

but within your boneheaded theory, you have the mere amount of declination being enough to defeat using a compass. this is false, declination tables are widely published and even something a few years out of date won't radically break your navigation. you have the gps to tell you where the device is and lookup proper declination. it doesn't mean your compass is gonna spin around wildly or any such nonsense.

that's not what i said, i said that your story is dumb as is bragging about totally knowing a guy who works in the arctic and said gps doesn't work

and you just did the very same thing here broheim thats why i brought it up.
                             \
                              \

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stringent posted:

\
                              \

we don't do that one anymore

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

a UAV uses a combination of gps (absolute position), inertial references (dynamic orientation), and magnetic sensors (absolute orientation) to navigate in three-dimensional space. when one third of that data is wrong or unreliable, navigation suffers.

your new argument, based on your recent searches for "what is magnetic declination" and "how do drones work" (look at those goalposts fly!) is that obviously the drone manufacturers would have accommodated in their software for extreme cases such as operation close to the magnetic poles because it's so obvious therefore none of these coders could be lazy or cheap. even you know better than that.

incidentally, gps itself also breaks down in the arctic for reasons unrelated to magnetic declination: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/navigating-the-arctic-why-gps-might-fail-you/

gps works fine in the arctic, the arctic is in fact one of the most critical places for it to work due to its invention as a tool for the military to use. there is minorly reduced reliability compared to the middle latitudes but that's not going to make a drone crash that wasn't already going to crash in cleveland

compasses aren't wrong or unreliable at high declination, they're simply troublesome to use over very long distances without re-adjustment.

your story was made up just like the racist africa story and you are flailing to defend it just like you flailed to defend that.

Stringent posted:

\
                              \

nice meltdown

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
if employing "autistic" in the pejorative against fishmech is wrong, i don't want to be right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech pulling out the powerful non possum te audiunt stratagem i see

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

fishmech pulling out the powerful non possum te audiunt stratagem i see

sagebrush taking on the "just keep defending a lovely fake story" strategem i see.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's okay to get owned on the internet sometimes, child

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

https://phantompilots.com/threads/lost-my-drone-in-the-arctic.116714/

quote:

"Hi Sir,

Thanks for your patience.

For your claimed case CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxx, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
Flight time:2016.09.01 09.22:51(utc+8)
FLY022; Home point:74.7215634, -91.8416966; Last point:74.7154911 -91.7417518;
1.The aircraft was controlled by pilot in gps mode;
2.T=17:26,h=-9m,d=3018.5m,flight record interrupt during Landing by intelligent battery;
3.Compass navigation bias was too large, the aircraft lost control due to environment.The Phantom 4 cannot operate within the polar areas.

According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.

Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

DJI Tech Support
http://www.dji.com/"

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

ADINSX posted:

Seattle is also the only place I've seen express lanes that change direction automatically, on a schedule. So in the morning they'll be south bound and in the evening north bound.
It's kinda silly but they aren't actually automatic, a couple guys in trucks hang out at the entrance before change over and switch it manually then drive through stopping at each on ramp to switch it over and make sure there are no stalled cars still pointing the wrong way. The gates have some relay interlocks and I think are networked to the control center in shoreline but there are safety vehicle arrest nets that need to be removed by hand. I know all this because I had the misfortune as part of my job to follow them through and cover up graffiti while they changed over. I still have nightmares about discarded dope needles from that job.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Poniard posted:

This post made me realize you don't pronounce shaggar like Mick Jagger, but rather like an Eldritch being: Shah-Gar

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Shaggar M'aine wgah'nagl bike'lane

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bibendum posted:

It's kinda silly but they aren't actually automatic, a couple guys in trucks hang out at the entrance before change over and switch it manually then drive through stopping at each on ramp to switch it over and make sure there are no stalled cars still pointing the wrong way. The gates have some relay interlocks and I think are networked to the control center in shoreline but there are safety vehicle arrest nets that need to be removed by hand. I know all this because I had the misfortune as part of my job to follow them through and cover up graffiti while they changed over. I still have nightmares about discarded dope needles from that job.

Oh thats interesting, that makes me feel a little better actually.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

gps works fine in the arctic, the arctic is in fact one of the most critical places for it to work due to its invention as a tool for the military to use

ah yes, all the military uses for arctic warfare

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdIiMg7YYI

https://goo.gl/maps/2tntVwjgR7T2 Havøysund above the arctic circle

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 20, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i mean its also possible that the drone received completely valid gps signals and crashed into the ground on its own accord but it still doesnt make the story any less funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fishmech's razor, right here y'all