Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

You've never been to Europe, have you?

Yeah, I was gonna say. On my daily commute to work I pass by dozens of buildings that have originally been built in the 19th century and are still in use (with regular renovations, of course), and several that date back to the 17th. A well-made brick building can last a long loving time when it's taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say. On my daily commute to work I pass by dozens of buildings that have originally been built in the 19th century and are still in use (with regular renovations, of course), and several that date back to the 17th. A well-made brick building can last a long loving time when it's taken care of.

"A well made brick building [being] taken care of" is not what I would generally call mid 80s apartments in New York.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
When I lived in Vermont, my friend lived in a house that had existed since the early 1700s, and that was pretty common. Maybe that's not too common in NYC, but my point is that even in America it wouldn't be unheard of to live in a centuries old building.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

TFE is a trash movie for trash people and I will loving fight anyone about it

More like oldlifeless. (And I don't care if someone already did one. Only life important.)

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

They shoot at (and hit) each other a bunch of times, I think that counts as "meeting" even though they're in no mood to talk.

They also had a friendly chat on the telephone.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Jedit posted:

More like oldlifeless. (And I don't care if someone already did one. Only life important.)

More like JERK-it :mad:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Don Gato posted:

When I lived in Vermont, my friend lived in a house that had existed since the early 1700s, and that was pretty common. Maybe that's not too common in NYC, but my point is that even in America it wouldn't be unheard of to live in a centuries old building.

It's not that the building is old, it's that it looks like it HASN'T been updated since the late 20th century.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I don't know if this was a subtle moment or me reading too much into it but in Arrival The glass/whatever that separates the Heptapods from the humans that they write the symbols against is a literal Language Barrier

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Noticed tonight that when Gamora says she always hated that chair, Thanos ends up sitting in the steps in front of it.

Thought that was a neat moment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FilmEasterEggs/status/1033497416643698688

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

And in every single one, he looks like a different flavor of fruit chew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thanos also looks less like a purple gorilla in each film.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

alslo there are 3 years between each :wth:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I was surprised to learn the next avengers is supposed to be released this summer considering we don’t have a title for this film yet 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's another thing I just noticed about Starship Troopers.

All the main guys are from Buenos Aires, yet at high school they play a future version of American Football, instead of a future version of Soccer.

In no way shape or form, I don't care how fascist and controlling the over-reaching government is, would Argentina give up playing Soccer in favour of Gridiron.

Edit: I am an idiot who momentarily forgot simple Geography. I am worthy of nothing but scorn and ridicule.

Also, immediately after World War 2 a bunch of Nazi's fled to Argentina, which is why Verhoven chose it for Starship Troopers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

beanieson posted:

I was surprised to learn the next avengers is supposed to be released this summer considering we don’t have a title for this film yet 🤷🏻‍♂️

just follow the grammar:

Avenged => Avenge => Avenger => Avengease

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We already know it involves some time travel.

Prevengers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

beanieson posted:

Apparently some artist accidentally leaked its gonna be Avengers: End Game, which ties into what Strange says to Stark in infinity war.

And Stark uses the phrase in Age of Ultron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Z-efARwhg&t=149s

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Sep 15, 2018

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tumble posted:

Also, immediately after World War 2 a bunch of Nazi's fled to Argentina, which is why Verhoven chose it for Starship Troopers.

Not really. Buenos Aires getting destroyed by an Arachnid attack is a (minor) plot point from the book. Rico feels a little bad about it, but doesn't care that much since he didn't know any of those people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Revengeance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Foxfire_ posted:

Not really. Buenos Aires getting destroyed by an Arachnid attack is a (minor) plot point from the book. Rico feels a little bad about it, but doesn't care that much since he didn't know any of those people.

Not really, the Heinlein book has a minor plot point about Buenos Aires. The Verhoeven movie has super-aryans hailing from Buenos Aires.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

We already know it involves some time travel.

Prevengers.

Prevenge already exists, it's about a pregnant woman who is murderously avenging her husband's death, driven by the voice of her unborn child.

It's not so much a subtle movie/moment, more a continuously and aggressively weird one. It owns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So in Verhoeven's version, Nazi's lost WW2, escaped to South America, and then managed to take over the world.

I want a Verhoeven Starship Trooper's prequel, because that sounds like a story. Maybe Argentina beats England in the Falklands and just rolls over every other country from there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

So in Verhoeven's version, Nazi's lost WW2, escaped to South America, and then managed to take over the world.

I want a Verhoeven Starship Trooper's prequel, because that sounds like a story. Maybe Argentina beats England in the Falklands and just rolls over every other country from there.

Nazis could get a Cultural Victory, to use Civ terms. Would probably be sadly easy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nazis could get a Cultural Victory, to use Civ terms. Would probably be sadly easy.

They already did it 22 months ago.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Away all Goats posted:

Apparently some artist accidentally leaked its gonna be Avengers: End Game, which ties into what Strange says to Stark in infinity war.

And Stark uses the phrase in Age of Ultron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Z-efARwhg&t=149s

Which is a shame, because with the Disney ownership, they could have called it Avengers: Infinity War and Beyond

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Which is a shame, because with the Disney ownership, they could have called it Avengers: Infinity War and Beyond

I misread these and was wondering if I missed Tony Stark saying 'To infinity and beyond!'

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Krankenstyle posted:

just follow the grammar:

Avenged => Avenge => Avenger => Avengease

Avengeance, duhhhhh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What about Revengance

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about Revengance

Dawn of The Rise of the Avengers: Revengeance

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But the Revengers are Thor's posse.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

Dawn of The Rise of the Avengers: Revengeance

Begins

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

But the Revengers are Thor's posse.

A horse runs out and brings back a naked gorgeous redhead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Sexual Shiite posted:

A horse runs out and brings back a naked gorgeous redhead.

A large dog runs out and brings back a naked gorgeous redhead (it was the largest animal the pet store had).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

A large dog runs out and brings back a naked gorgeous redhead (it was the largest animal the pet store had).

*grabs the dogs head and says* I said p-o-s-s-e!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

lol this pretty much happened in real life too

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

In the plane jump scene in Deadpool 2 a small plaque can be seen before they jump, advising sky-divers to avoid trees and powerlines. Ironically, The Vanisher fails to heed these instructions as the character's actor, Brad Pitt, is illiterate, and couldn't read the sign

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bell jar posted:

In the plane jump scene in Deadpool 2 a small plaque can be seen before they jump, advising sky-divers to avoid trees and powerlines. Ironically, The Vanisher fails to heed these instructions as the character's actor, Brad Pitt, is illiterate, and couldn't read the sign

Haahahaha. That's the best one yet.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bell jar posted:

:popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

bell jar posted:

:aaaaa: