Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pakled posted:

She was just reading the Avatar Truck :sigh:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pakled posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pakled posted:

:wow:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pakled posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

Only if Avatar is.
It is

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Season 5 wasn't my favorite season. The Bojack plot didn't go as in depth with the painkillers addition as other season's have gone into his alcoholism and depression, instead it seemed pretty surface level. I thought the continuing fallout of what happened with Charlotte and Penny was handled in a weird way. Especially when the point is made multiple times across multiple episodes that the parallels between Philbert and Bojack are being mostly misinterpreted by Bojack. And then we get a scene where it's specifically being done by Diane to get back at Bojack. And they don't do much else with it. I suppose it has to do with the season's theme of the myth of accountability but I dunno, they seemed to hint that it was going to be more of a thing.

As for the good, the Diane and Princess Caroline centric episodes were good but didn't reach the same level of impact as something like "Ruthie" for side character stories. I'm glad they got rid of Todd's girlfriend, who just never came across as likable. There was less overall "they're animals!" jokes, which I've always thought was the weakest humor in the show. And the eulogy episode was neat.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Re: conflicting representation of "Philbert" - I took it the same way the show portrays what Horsin' Around was. In-universe, Horsin' Around was a typical wholesome 90's feelgood sitcom, but that isn't entertaining to viewers of BoJack Horseman, so they spice it up by making it a parody of those shows. "Philbert" is supposed to be a show that follows all the hallmarks of prestige television, that ends up successful in spite of itself and Flip and largely thanks to BoJack, MPB. and Dianne. But just like Horsin' Around, it's more entertaining to portray it as a parody to us, the viewers.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, i think there is a disconnect between what philbert is supposed to be, and how it is regarded, in the bojack universe versus how it comes across to the audience of the show bojack horseman. the same is true of the music video for "kill that fetus"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Completely absurd, terrible media products enjoying an unlikely amount of success has been a low-level gag in Bojack since forever. Philbert is just continuing that trend.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, Bojack's last project, Secretariat, was also a completely terrible joke from everything we saw of it, yet it released to rave reviews and made Bojack more famous than ever. It's funny!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

luxury handset posted:

yeah, i think there is a disconnect between what philbert is supposed to be, and how it is regarded, in the bojack universe versus how it comes across to the audience of the show bojack horseman. the same is true of the music video for "kill that fetus"

The name "Sextina Aquafina" never stops being funny to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Android Blues posted:

Like, Bojack's last project, Secretariat, was also a completely terrible joke from everything we saw of it, yet it released to rave reviews and made Bojack more famous than ever. It's funny!

Maybe it's a commentary on the movie/TV business, where things seem different from the inside and the outside. You read behind-the-scenes stories of huge movies like Star Wars or the Godfather, and it can sound like they were garbage fires, but they turned out great on the screen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I’ve actually been waiting for the ep where they show the amazing power of a good editor

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I wonder if Season Six will involve the inevitable Horsin' Around reboot for Bojack universe's version of Netflix.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure Ethan Around was supposed to be their riff on Fuller House and suchlike.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

One of my absolute favourite one-off gags is when they had Vincent D'Onofrio as the original star of what ended up as Mr. Peanutbutter's House

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
And they used most of the Netflix jokes with WhatTimeIsItNow.com already, so I think that well is tapped out.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

One of my absolute favourite one-off gags is when they had Vincent D'Onofrio as the original star of what ended up as Mr. Peanutbutter's House

"I'm too rad to be a dad..."

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Season 5 was good, but I didn't think it was as good as most of the other ones. It certainly didn't have a low point, but I never felt any of it hit as hard as in prior seasons. The wishy washy backtracking, stagnation of the character arcs we've seen is a little tedious at this point. I get the dynamic of Bojack & Diane's issues was framed differently, but I dunno didn't stick the landing as well to me.

If anything this season was a bit just ickier if thats possible with some of its moments than prior ones (end of Ep 7 and 11). I'm still waiting for all of his substance abuse to finish him off, I thought almost that in his pain killer haze the white light was that, but nope just him coming face to face with his disassociation from reality. Everyone this season more or less sees him (including himself) as a big caricature to float above everyone (because they put him there) but lacking any real purpose or direction beyond where the wind seems to blow him. I think that's why he just doesn't get it, he frequently perceives himself to have 0 agency, just a victim at the mercy of the gears of whatever it is he's caught up in.

Really liked the art direction, Todd was real good this season too. PC is a total disaster.

"My life will really calm down once I have this baby"

"That must be why every new mother is so well rested"

That was one of the best lines all season.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the show has slipped a little on what exactly philbert or flip is in universe.

Like setup wise it's a waiter writing a garbage show for a clock website that is getting made because PC felt connection to the name and it's obviously bad from what we see of it and flip isn't qualified. But in universe is it still that or is it popular now? Or semi-popular. Is flip supposed to be a nobody over his head or an fancy moody director or both? Like it feels like the setting has changed premises a little a couple times on if philbert is contextualized in universe. Like it kinda seems like a nothing show made by just some guy for a streaming service for a clock website that is obviously nonsense, but it also seems like a popular show that might win awards and flip is like, a big deal director? It feels like they are writing it both ways.

For me the thing that didn't make sense was that they had the show becoming popular while they were still filming the first season. No show these days actually starts airing episodes while they're still filming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the feeling Birthday Dad might be the next big clusterfuck production.

Princess Caroline probably does need to realise there's a point where she has better things to do than keep incredibly ill-advised productions alive through the sheer power of bullshit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Birthday Dad sounds like more fun to watch than Philbert. Maybe it can be like Boss Baby and turn out weirdly entertaining.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Entropic posted:

For me the thing that didn't make sense was that they had the show becoming popular while they were still filming the first season. No show these days actually starts airing episodes while they're still filming.
This is actually still how most shows are made.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Watched through the 5th season and although I thought it was fine, in relation to the other seasons, I realized that I just can’t stand any of these characters anymore except for maybe Princess Carolyn. They’re all just so loving unlikeable and I know that’s the point, but it’s just not really enjoyable to watch anymore for me personally.:(

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

"I'm too rad to be a dad..."

"They don't teach 'likeability' at the American Stanislavsky Theatre!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Watched through the 5th season and although I thought it was fine, in relation to the other seasons, I realized that I just can’t stand any of these characters anymore except for maybe Princess Carolyn. They’re all just so loving unlikeable and I know that’s the point, but it’s just not really enjoyable to watch anymore for me personally.:(

It is hard. And Gina's not strong enough to pull it up like Wanda or Hollyhock.

Diane was a complete disaster when Wanda was around, but Wanda kept the flipside.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Watching terrible things happen to terrible people will never not be hilarious :colbert:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Straight White Shark posted:

Watching terrible things happen to terrible people will never not be hilarious :colbert:

You're right, I've been looking at this all wrong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Straight White Shark posted:

It’s not really played to be comedic though most of the time. It’s just getting frustrating to watch.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think the sex robot was my favorite bit of the season, and I mean, I always like silly Todd shenanigans, but they're usually fourth or fifth after some really compelling episodes, not the main course.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how in the flashback, when PC's mom gives her the necklace, she very clearly pulls the "its from the old country!" out of her rear end, but PC is so touched by the gesture she doesn't notice it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This season had a lot of interesting flashbacks. I especially liked the Halloween episode which shows Todd first moving in with Bojack although it was weird that Diane met Bojack in that episode all the way back in 2009. She probably wouldn't have remembered that when they met in S1E1.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Diane growing up with Horsin' Around and using it to escape her terrible home life is obviously a detail they decided on well after season 1. Diane was a very different character back then, more of a contrast to Bojack rather than a parallel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's really weird to me that S5 has undercut a lot of scenes I liked in earlier seasons. One of my favorites being in Season 1, in the first episode with Sarah-Lynne, where she and Bojack have a talk on the bench and Bojack starts imagining "the credits" and emulating them with his fingers.

The show makes it really clear that this is demented, because they're all people, living people, and they're not metaphors and there aren't lessons. Only, now everything is pretty much explicitly allegorical and that's a huge shift for the entire way the show is written.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pick posted:

Birthday Dad sounds like more fun to watch than Philbert. Maybe it can be like Boss Baby and turn out weirdly entertaining.

Birthday Dad is bound to end up directed by someone like Guillermo del Toro or Christopher Nolan and turn into a super high concept art movie or at least a blockbuster action movie. What else could it be?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Birthday Dad is bound to end up directed by someone like Guillermo del Toro or Christopher Nolan and turn into a super high concept art movie or at least a blockbuster action movie. What else could it be?

I was picturing a The Pacifier style comedy action movie, but likely going through a number of completely different incarnations as production is the usual clusterfuck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pick posted:

The show makes it really clear that this is demented, because they're all people, living people, and they're not metaphors and there aren't lessons. Only, now everything is pretty much explicitly allegorical and that's a huge shift for the entire way the show is written.

I completely disagree. If anything this season pulled away all the allegories and analyzed Bojack's more demented and comedic actions as if they were real, which is why things got so ugly. Philbert, or rather the perception of Philbert, was an allegory for the show itself and other shows like it, sure, but none of the characters acted allegorically. This season basically reminded the audience that if Bojack was a real person, you would hate him. And there's nothing realer than that.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I can't be bothered to check but is this season the first time they've done alternate versions of the end theme? The spooky halloween theme was a favorite of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They did one for The Bojack Horseman Show in season 3 and one about Mister Peanutbutter's House in S4, but I think this is the first season they've done instrumental variations on it.