Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Wild EEPROM posted:

Silverfast makes the v550 like 5x better. The interface just blows away the Epson one.

There’s also a guy on eBay who sells an anti Newton ring glass holder for the Epson scanners which help with film flatness.

Oooohhhh, I will have to look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sauer posted:

Think I'll do the 50mm f1.4 first. Its got the worst case of pee lens:

This is how its setup and I'll see how its doing in 48 hours or so:

I have a similar setup, didn’t know how close the light should be so I just put it as close as possible since no real heat is coming from the led.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bape Culture posted:

Not shot for a while. Used to mainly shoot cars for ads and motorsport.
Going on the holiday of a lifetime to Bora Bora and the rest of FP.
Sold my 7D and canon setup with the intention of grabbing a Sony A7Riii.
If I have around £1000 to put into glass for my trip what would you guys recommend?
I’m currently thinking a Sigma Art 50 and the Samyang/rokinon 14 2.8.
I’d love to try some star stuff and obviously landscapes. I was thinking the 50 as I love fast glass, but I’m wondering if that new Tamron 28-70 2.8 may be a better choice when wandering around.
I used to love my 30 on my 7D so I imagine I’d love the 50 on this FF.
I’ll grab the 70-200 2.8 when I get back but don’t want to spend atm and carry it around while there.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

No experience of Sony, but from my Canon, I can tell you that Sigma are the poo poo when it comes to prime lenses.

The 28-70 f2.8 is a better walkaround lens - you are guaranteed to get every shot you want. The 50mm will occasionally not just work when you are in tight places.
But, the 50mm is better if you like light low light and I personally think that extra 2 stops is worth lugging it around. I am a real whore for fast primes, like you.

You could get the Sony 50mm 1.8 which is light enough that you won't resent carrying it around along with the 28-70mm

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

can someoen splain the above to me..

is this an attempt to clear up a yellowed lens by throwing a bunch of light at it?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

tater_salad posted:

can someoen splain the above to me..

is this an attempt to clear up a yellowed lens by throwing a bunch of light at it?

Certain vintage lens coatings tint yellow with time, but this can theoretically be reversed with extended exposure to UV light.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

You're not going to notice a difference in 48 hours. It took me like 2 weeks to notice anything. I wish I did progress pics, but I didn't.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mine isn’t horribly yellow so maybe it won’t take as long. I leave this light on all the time anyway so if it does take forever I don’t mind. Out of curiosity, if it was left out in the sun would it not be as long? I’m not going to do it that way, just curious.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

spog posted:

No experience of Sony, but from my Canon, I can tell you that Sigma are the poo poo when it comes to prime lenses.

The 28-70 f2.8 is a better walkaround lens - you are guaranteed to get every shot you want. The 50mm will occasionally not just work when you are in tight places.
But, the 50mm is better if you like light low light and I personally think that extra 2 stops is worth lugging it around. I am a real whore for fast primes, like you.

You could get the Sony 50mm 1.8 which is light enough that you won't resent carrying it around along with the 28-70mm

Quick note on the e-mount 50 Art: I wouldn't recommend it as a walkaround lens as it's heavy enough on a DSLR, not to mention on a mirrorless body. The way Sigma did the e-mount version is also pretty unwieldy. It looks like the Canon version of the lens with a built-in Sigma MC-11 with how long it is.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
This article goes into more detail about why thoriated lenses respond well to having a bunch of light dumped into them to reverse the yellowing. Its not a universal cure either; Takumars respond to it better than other radioactive lenses.

This article goes into depth behind the science.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 18, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Camera Gear v8 "The worst case of pee lens"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I shine a UV lamp on my photos will it fix them looking like piss? I'm fine waiting a couple weeks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

I use the V550 and it does work well for the price point. The software is a tad bit goofy (auto exposure for film scanning is on by default, and the only way to turn it off is to reset ALL post processing functions) but it works. Though if you have a lot of dark images trying to scan in thumbnail mode may make it misread frames. So probably better to scan in normal mode for film and then just select the areas you want.

gently caress me, this thing is nice.

Not surprisingly, my scans of negatives are better quality than the original drugstore prints, even without any correction, editing, tweaking.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

xzzy posted:

If I shine a UV lamp on my photos will it fix them looking like piss? I'm fine waiting a couple weeks.

No you have to use this one specific IKEA lamp.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I wrote about my experience trying this technique earlier this year. Gave it five days under the lamp and while the tinge isn't quite gone it's a lot clearer now.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

But you kept the UV filter on

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

polyester concept posted:

But you kept the UV filter on

God drat it... I'm a loving idiot. I didn't even realize there was a filter on there (i just pulled it out and took it off). Somehow it was not obvious there was one there.

So time to try this again.

Edit: I looked through it again after I took the filter off... and it is much clearer. Still got a bit of the tinge but since I still have the lamp I can give it another go.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 19, 2018

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks everyone for the advice I ended up buying;

A7iii
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Samyang 14 2.8 AF
Gorillapod 4K

Now just need to grab some memory cards (any advice?) and a cpl filter for the Tamron?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

A7iii
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Samyang 14 2.8 AF
Gorillapod 4K

Now just need to grab some memory cards (any advice?) and a cpl filter for the Tamron?

Sandisk, but only get the spec you need, not the UltraExtremeMegaGold IIIII

(Though, personally, I have found Kingston to be the most reliable)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I saw the UV filter but thought it was a joke. Interesting that it still worked - from the literature it seems like it isn’t just the UV light but the light itself that repairs the damage or however they described it.

Coming up on almost exactly 48 hours and I am already seeing a good improvement in the 55 1.8. I should have taken a “before” photo to have a direct comparison. I’m going to leave it overnight and shoot a bit with it tomorrow to see if I can see the difference. My cat is white and I definitely have photos of her to compare if I set the white balance to be identical to before I put the lens under the lamp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

God drat it... I'm a loving idiot. I didn't even realize there was a filter on there (i just pulled it out and took it off). Somehow it was not obvious there was one there.

So time to try this again.

Edit: I looked through it again after I took the filter off... and it is much clearer. Still got a bit of the tinge but since I still have the lamp I can give it another go.

So you tried a UV treatment to remove a yellow cast, but you left a UV filter on it during the treatment?

And when you realised this, you removed the UV filter, only to discover that it was the UV filter itself causing the cast?

I'm sorry, but that is loving hilarious.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

spog posted:

So you tried a UV treatment to remove a yellow cast, but you left a UV filter on it during the treatment?

And when you realised this, you removed the UV filter, only to discover that it was the UV filter itself causing the cast?

I'm sorry, but that is loving hilarious.

No, the cast was a lot worse before I attempted it. It was much yellower.

But yeah, I will admit it's pretty funny.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This might be the only instance in the Dorkroom of a UV-filter actually having a detectable effect.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ExecuDork posted:

This might be the only instance in the Dorkroom of a UV-filter actually having a detectable effect.

I'd empty quote this for posterity, but it's also interesting that a UV light appears to do the job much faster than using natural light of the sun. It makes sense, however.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

A7iii
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Samyang 14 2.8 AF
Gorillapod 4K

I'm traveling with a Gorillapod right now and its usefulness is very niche. If there isn't a suitably sized tree or rock next to what you want to shoot you won't be getting the shot you want. I'd recommend a more traditional travel tripod.

I've really love my Three Legged Thing Travis tripod, but they also do a travel tripod called Corey which gets down to 34 cm and extends to 1.5 m. They're a local UK company too, which is nice.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Helicity posted:

I'd empty quote this for posterity, but it's also interesting that a UV light appears to do the job much faster than using natural light of the sun. It makes sense, however.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised I even got what I did with that thing on. This thing was so low profile I didn't even notice it was there (I got this glass from an uncle who passed away and I didn't even know he had any filters). Curious to see how much more it might clear up now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Megabound posted:

I'm traveling with a Gorillapod right now and its usefulness is very niche. If there isn't a suitably sized tree or rock next to what you want to shoot you won't be getting the shot you want. I'd recommend a more traditional travel tripod.

I've really love my Three Legged Thing Travis tripod, but they also do a travel tripod called Corey which gets down to 34 cm and extends to 1.5 m. They're a local UK company too, which is nice.

Awesome. I’ll bare that in mind.
I just grabbed the gorilla so I can shoot stars from the floor really. It was only £50 with the head.
Hopefully do the job :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Awesome. I’ll bare that in mind.
I just grabbed the gorilla so I can shoot stars from the floor really. It was only £50 with the head.
Hopefully do the job :)

Yea, it'll be perfect for that kind of stuff and easier to use with live view. I struggle with shooting that low with only a viewfinder.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Here's a thing:

https://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/old-inexpensive-and-tack-sharp-canons-best-lenses-you-dont-know-about/

Apparently there was a particular era when Canon released some super cheap but great lenses. I've checked and they are indeed available on ebay etc. for like £50.

Would it be at all worth getting a Canon EF to Sony E adaptor (for I think about £150) and buying some of these lenses for the a6500 I just bought or is that a dumb idea?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have the 28-80 and 70-210 lenses from the article, they are fast focus and decent but the lack of IS is a pretty big drawback.

These were kit lenses with film slrs in the 90s so they show up at thrift shops pretty often.

I got the 28-80, 70-210, a rebel 2000 and a nice bag all for $12.

If you live near any thrift stores particularly smaller ones that are not chains like savers/goodwill/salvation pop in randomly and paw though any camera bags you see. If there are any in a display case ask what's inside. 90% will be camcorders or older fd mount but it's worth checking.

Also brush up on decent p&s cameras to look for. I got my Olympus stylus epic 2.8 for $15 thrifting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

my turn in the barrel posted:

I got the 28-80, 70-210, a rebel 2000 and a nice bag all for $12.

Holy poo poo.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Any recommendations for a remote trigger kit? I'm looking into one for my 80D that I plan to put behind goals etc for sports photography with a wide angle lens. I've been eyeing the PocketWizard Plus III.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 23, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Not a recommendation but just an overall comment.

Shot my first wedding with mt new setup (a7iii, sigma art 24-70 (rented tamron 70-200 2.8) and godox 860ii Flash and transmitter) since my old canon gear was stolen.

Holy gently caress. This camera is bananas. It's a little different shooting mirror less but it felt good. Focus is crazy and track sharp. Eye AF makes my job infinitely easier and works surprisingly well.

The flash is also surprising not just given its price ... It lasted all day/night and still shows a full charge. The wireless worked flawlessly.

The tamron hunted from time to time but I just heard through the grapevine that sigma just sent out an email regarding their new lenses (finally the 70-200 2.8 sports which thankfully usses a magnesium housing for lighter weight). Thank God because the 24-70 is a tank.

I will definitely be buying a grip because the smaller mirror less body sucks with a full size 2.8 70-200.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Watching some talks from Defcon and the like by a security consultant, somebody asked him about TSA-approved locks. TLDR they're usually cheaply made, and the keys are compromised. The next question was "what do YOU do when bringing your stuff to a convention?"

His advice: Get a stripped AR-15 lower receiver. The part of the gun with the serial number on it is the firearm, according to the BATF. You can get one for like $40 (plus local/transfer fees), throw that in your toolbag/camera bag, and you get to put good locks on that case that can only be opened in your presence. Seems worth it for the extra security/protection from the airline fighting the insurance claim if you're carrying around expensive luggage like we do.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A flare gun is a better idea

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Starter pistol, also. I mentioned this a few pages back but when I worked at Pratt and Whitney the TSA would constantly gently caress with field inspectors equipment and occasionally break something worth tens of thousands of dollars. To curb this, packing a firearm was seriously considered. There was a frequent need for this equipment to be used on military bases so "real" firearms were out of the question.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Delta forced me to gate check my camera gear this weekend ... and managed to lose it in the process. Thankfully they found it the next day and delivered it to me. Everything is working fine and unscathed but I was/am fuming pissed about the whole ordeal. I shot a wedding and was on my way home. Normally I won't check camera gear. It doesn't leave my possession.

I was boarding my flight and they were taking everyones carry ons. It was a really small plane (2x2 seats) with the micro overhead bins that could fit a purse/laptop bag at the very most. I tried putting my bag under the seat and it wouldn't fit. It was a very standard sized backpack with all my camera gear. You could literally fit a small purse beneath the seat at the very most.

They force me to gate check my stuff. I refuse and ask for them to put it in a closet. I notify them of the value and fragility of the contents. They tell me I can either get off the plane or gate check my stuff. Seeing as I already completed the wedding, I frantically remove my cards and laptop and hand them over. They tag them and hand them to the baggage handler on the jet bridge.

I land an hour later and go to retrieve my bags. Nowhere to be seen. Pilot comes off the plane and asks if I'm waiting for anything. He goes down to the tarmac to ask the baggage handlers if my bags are still on the plane. Nothing. Baggage handlers come up and talk to the gate agent. Then a manager comes over. Nothing. They call Grand Rapids (where I flew from). Nothing. System shows bags were tagged but never put on the plane. How does a bag get handed to a handler and not make it the 10 feet to the cargo hold? They seriously asked me that question to which I had no response. I could barely contain my anger and frustration. I'm about to miss my connection flight so they tell me to go get on board and they will have more figured out when I land.

At this point I have 15 minutes before boarding of my connection flight is complete so I sprint through the entirety of Minneapolis airport from one corner to the other. My flight home to Seattle was the last one of the night so I couldn't miss it.

I get to Seattle and head straight to Deltas baggage service counter. Nothing has changed. No word from either airport as to where my bags are. They take my info and start a claim. At this point I realized I left my car/house keys and work fob in my bag.

I go home that evening, thankfully my wife picked me up so I didn't need keys. I get an email the next day saying my bags have been found and they will be delivered. I inspect them and everything is there. Nothing broken, nothing missing. I'll be calling Delta today for some kind of compensation because that was some hosed up poo poo. Also, my email has different flight info than what actually happened. I was supposed to fly through detroit but it ended up going through minneapolis instead. Same flight number. Never got an update or anything. Just kind of weird.

So rule number 1. Never let your gear out of your sight. I never allow this to happen but it had been a long day and I was just wanting to get home. I assumed it was impossible they could lose gate checked luggage but they somehow managed to find a way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You ain't getting compensated for poo poo, not without a massive fight. At least not any compensation that actually means anything. So before you go down that road decide how much of your life you want to burn getting satisfaction.

I had an airline lose my luggage for two days a few years ago and it was a massive ordeal just to get them to compensate me to buy some clean underwear.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, you'll get like a voucher to use for future Delta flights and that's about the extent of it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Don't check a bag with camera gear. Packing it with a starter pistol doesnt mean it will arrive undamaged. I have had servers and network gear packed in pelican cases arrive damaged and camera equipment is even more fragile. Pay extra so you board early, or get a small enough bag that it will fit under the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When all my gear was stolen out of my house earlier this year, I made a point to buy a smaller backpack so that it would fit into overhead bins without a problem and under the seat if necessary. This plane was so small that the only bags that would fit in the overhead bins would be a laptop bag or a purse at most. They were checking everybody's standard sized carry-on roller bags. I try to travel light for this reason.

Luckily, everything got back to me okay. I was just surprised I didn't get so much as a follow up phone call or anything apologizing or explaining what happened. Thats just lovely customer service. I'll be calling and raising a stink just to see what I can possibly get from them not that I'm super enthusiastic about flying Delta again.