Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Paladinus posted:

If you install and play it, then yes. It's pretty easy.

Or no, because maybe it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Funso Banjo posted:

Or no, because maybe it's bad.

If you don't install it, they don't get any money, you've cracked the code!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i'm pretty sure the only way a f2p game dev 'deserves' my money is if their game is good and avoids pooping on me for not being a whale, actually. do you just drop money on f2p games immediately if you download them?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i'm pretty sure the only way a f2p game dev 'deserves' my money is if their game is good and avoids pooping on me for not being a whale, actually. do you just drop money on f2p games immediately if you download them?

Jesus Christ, people. It all started with one goon saying they wanted to play the game, but felt uncomfortable, because it might have had ads. The game turns out to not even have ads! You can literally check it out for free with no repercussions, and if you like it, unlock more classes or whatever for money. We live in the world where if you search Slay the Spire on Google Play, you get a bunch of unrelated CCG games, 20 deceptive 'guide' apps that are just wiki pages from the internet pumped with ads to the brim, and worse yet there are even complete scams where the app is called Slay the Spire Android, and it's just an empty container, again, full of ads. Not to mention asset flips and other deceptive bullshit. But you lot take extreme umbrage at the fact that a company has made a game from the ground up, using original assets, that happens to use core mechanics from another popular game with very minor changes, and, oh horror, monetises said game? Do you still call shooters Doom clones? Are you upset that Galaxian ripped-off Space Invaders? Come on!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Jesus Christ, people. It all started with one goon saying they wanted to play the game, but felt uncomfortable, because it might have had ads. The game turns out to not even have ads! You can literally check it out for free with no repercussions, and if you like it, unlock more classes or whatever for money. We live in the world where if you search Slay the Spire on Google Play, you get a bunch of unrelated CCG games, 20 deceptive 'guide' apps that are just wiki pages from the internet pumped with ads to the brim, and worse yet there are even complete scams where the app is called Slay the Spire Android, and it's just an empty container, again, full of ads. Not to mention asset flips and other deceptive bullshit. But you lot take extreme umbrage at the fact that a company has made a game from the ground up, using original assets, that happens to use core mechanics from another popular game with very minor changes, and, oh horror, monetises said game? Do you still call shooters Doom clones? Are you upset that Galaxian ripped-off Space Invaders? Come on!

nice meltdown

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dancer posted:

nice meltdown

Nice 'nice meltdown'.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i'll grant you that people who copy mechanics and create entirely new art assets to go with them are cleverer in some ways than the average asset flipper, but usually when people claim mechanics are copied it's because there's a persistent 1:1 relationship between items, skills, cooldowns, enemies, etc. that goes way beyond the similarities between Quake and Doom or whatever you flipped out about. basically we're talking effectively stealing a car and redecorating the entire exterior and interior while leaving everything under the hood untouched, then selling it on craigslist. if you don't agree that the mechanics are that completely uncannily alike that such a claim holds water, that's a different argument entirely and i wouldn't mind seeing you support that argument, assuming you know enough about both games to do that

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Paladinus posted:

Nice 'nice meltdown'.

Nice "Nice 'nice meltdown'."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The reason that I find this whole thing so stupid is that Slay the Spire is samey, boring unfun garbage, and goons seem to just want it's dick so bad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The reason that I find this whole thing so stupid is that Slay the Spire is samey, boring unfun garbage, and goons seem to just want it's dick so bad.

To each their own. I love that specific type of rogue-lite games. I've spent hours upon hours on Solitairica, but some goons thought it was boring. Meanwhile, I'll never understand how one can be into gacha games.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i'll grant you that people who copy mechanics and create entirely new art assets to go with them are cleverer in some ways than the average asset flipper, but usually when people claim mechanics are copied it's because there's a persistent 1:1 relationship between items, skills, cooldowns, enemies, etc. that goes way beyond the similarities between Quake and Doom or whatever you flipped out about. basically we're talking effectively stealing a car and redecorating the entire exterior and interior while leaving everything under the hood untouched, then selling it on craigslist. if you don't agree that the mechanics are that completely uncannily alike that such a claim holds water, that's a different argument entirely and i wouldn't mind seeing you support that argument, assuming you know enough about both games to do that

Except they've built their own copy of a car. They didn't steal any code, like a certain big game tied to a huge TV show did just recently. They also don't compete with Slay the Spire, because Slay the Spire is not going to be released on Android in foreseeable future, as the team are focused on the Switch release next year. But you've made me download that damned game. I'll see if it's actually literally 1:1 mechanically.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So to discuss the actual game instead of whatever *this* is...

It is very much a clone down to the names of cards, the abilities of monsters, etc. There are a couple minor differences in mechanics, and the balance seems just a little off. I've played a shitton of slay the spire and this clone is pretty unforgiving (feels like mid-level ascension difficulty in StS). The roll to move + dark map mechanics mean you can't plan your route, which is a huge part of StS strategy. You accumulate energy with the spaces you move to activate map items that let you create a shop or camp, pick your movement number, or scout the map, so that does swing back towards strategy over RNG but it's weird.

I made it to act 3 with the card that can be upgraded indefinitely, which actually works better than in StS because you can summon an extra 2 camps per act to upgrade it.

It's a neat attempt to clone the game but the balance feels just a little off the mark. Also the cost to unlock the classes is absurdly high so it would take like 70 complete runs to get a new class without dropping cash. Which they do or don't deserve.

Edit: Beat it a couple times, looks like you get 160 gems for a game clear so that's a little better for the unlocks (2000 for the cheapest). There's like a weekly challenge when you clear it where you take your deck through a linear level like the daily climb and get gems for your best distance travelled. Kinda silly since any deck that can win can keep clearing as long as you want. So far both wins have been on the back of "sword of pledge" which is the unlimited upgrade attack, doing ~200 damage by the end of it.

I'll keep playing it because hey, mobile StS.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

Life is Strange: Before the Storm should be out sometime today. Apparently it went live a little prematurely hence the listing being available but not downloadable yet.

So if anybody's actually tried this yet, are there any noticeable differences/additions from the console/PC version (for example, the mobile port of the original Life is Strange added a Photo Mode and the ability to swap between Max's various outfits throughout the game at will)?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

If you don't install it, they don't get any money, you've cracked the code!

Games don't deserve poo poo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In news that people might actually care about, Flipflop Solitaire is out. It's made by the developer of Spelltower, Ridiculous Fishing, and Really Bad Chess. It's free with ads, and has a single $2.99 IAP to remove adds and unlock a 5th suit of cards.

Also: Info about Newegg getting hacked.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 20, 2018

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

In news that people might actually care about, Flipflop Solitaire is out. It's made by the developer of Spelltower, Ridiculous Fishing, and Really Bad Chess. It's free with ads, and has a single $2.99 IAP to remove adds and unlock a 5th suit of cards.

That links to the Newegg hack. Which is still a good thing to know about.

I loved ridiculous fishing so I'll check it out

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Knights Chronicle clan GoonTang is full. Is there another or can some inactives be booted to make room for my bored mobile gaming self?

Also just curious, but are there any games similar to this that have English Voice Overs?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

m.hache posted:

That links to the Newegg hack. Which is still a good thing to know about.

I loved ridiculous fishing so I'll check it out

Oops. I copied the Newegg thing to send to a friend, and forgot to copy the Flipflop link. I fixed the link, and also left the link for the Newegg hack.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Streets of Rage 2 is the latest Sega Forever game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

Knights Chronicle clan GoonTang is full. Is there another or can some inactives be booted to make room for my bored mobile gaming self?

Also just curious, but are there any games similar to this that have English Voice Overs?

The guild is kinda dying since costumegate. I can't kick anyone and the guild leader hasn't been on in 2 weeks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

The guild is kinda dying since costumegate. I can't kick anyone and the guild leader hasn't been on in 2 weeks.

Crap, another game with a dead guild. Sigh. Are there any good mobile games that aren't crap? Hows that Sword Art Online one?

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

What about Thread Title? It's still going strong.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In the new Jurrasic World Alive patch they've added flying dinos and revamped the combat system again. All the changes seem positive to me. Biggest changes being some Dinos have an ability that triggers on being swapped in, and DoT effects are now a percentage of the targets max HP, nothing to do with the attack damage now.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Aramoro posted:

In the new Jurrasic World Alive patch they've added flying dinos and revamped the combat system again. All the changes seem positive to me. Biggest changes being some Dinos have an ability that triggers on being swapped in, and DoT effects are now a percentage of the targets max HP, nothing to do with the attack damage now.

I've kept playing, even managed to get top 500 in tourney (and somehow double rewards, shhhh don't tell). The DoT changes are interesting, but with so many superiority strike and immune dinos in the meta not sure if it'll break through. It was fun when they accidentally set it to 50% per turn and even level 1 dinos with that skill could murder poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scipiotik posted:

I've kept playing, even managed to get top 500 in tourney (and somehow double rewards, shhhh don't tell). The DoT changes are interesting, but with so many superiority strike and immune dinos in the meta not sure if it'll break through. It was fun when they accidentally set it to 50% per turn and even level 1 dinos with that skill could murder poo poo.

That was fun, especially because it was his swap in effect, just appears from nowhere and destroys you.

I'm using the Suchtator and Spineoraptor still (In around ~3200) because have some DoT's lets you handle Stegotops and Nodasaurus's that you get. Even against dinos with superiority strike you at least tie them into doing that or they take a huge hit.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Aramoro posted:

That was fun, especially because it was his swap in effect, just appears from nowhere and destroys you.

I'm using the Suchtator and Spineoraptor still (In around ~3200) because have some DoT's lets you handle Stegotops and Nodasaurus's that you get. Even against dinos with superiority strike you at least tie them into doing that or they take a huge hit.

I'm hovering around 4300 (hit high 4500s in the tourney due to some stupendous luck and fighting people 3 levels above me who are dumb as poo poo about tactics). Haven't bothered to switch my team at all, waiting to see how things shake out before I spend all these coins.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I kinda puttered out on JWA's PvP, I broke 3k points a few weeks back and immediately lost 450 in a horrifyingly bad streak, I've just kinda not bothered since then.

The status immune meta is really bad for me, as I realize I lean pretty hard on Superiority Strike. I need to revamp my team for the new meta, but :effort: .

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I'm just concerned about playing a movie tie-in game long-term, obviously the developers won't get much support to continue work on it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

It made something like 25 million in its first month.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kiranamos posted:

I'm just concerned about playing a movie tie-in game long-term, obviously the developers won't get much support to continue work on it.

Jurassic World 2 might be all over and done with, but the Jurassic franchise is fairly lucrative, as much as the sequels pale in comparison to the first.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
One company is still pumping out Real Steel games on mobile.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have been playing that FlipFlop Solitaire game and it is fun but man does it murder my battery. I am playing on a Pixel XL2 and it just heats the phone up and kills the battery pretty quickly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pocket City is on sale for $2.49 (down from $4.99)
Crashlands is on sale for $3.99 (down from $6.99)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

Crashlands got boring fast. I'd probably give a sequel a try though if they added some depth to the game play. It had a lot going for it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Trying out an older game here. Does anyone still play Tiny Tower? Do I remember correct they have a goon on staff at the developer?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Anyone still play Muscle Hustle? Picked it up and desperately need friends. Much like RL.

My user id is 642322

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
Meteorfall: Journeys just got updated with some balance changes and new content.

EDIT: Detailed change notes can be found here --> http://meteorfall-game.com/patch_notes.txt

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I'm pleasantly surprised by Card Monsters. Fun little card game with a poo poo-ton of secondary activities. Also gives extremely generous to free players so far (I've played off an on for a week).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just got a Note 9 and sad to see that King of Dragon Pass is apparently incompatible with it (either because of the device itself or because of Android 8, not sure which).

Any decent suggestions for a game to play on a transatlantic flight with no internet access, since that was sorta my "dive into this game for hours" fallback.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

Pocket City deserves a lot of love for making a Sim City which is actually Sim City, no in app purchases or genre blending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

Just got a Note 9 and sad to see that King of Dragon Pass is apparently incompatible with it (either because of the device itself or because of Android 8, not sure which).

Any decent suggestions for a game to play on a transatlantic flight with no internet access, since that was sorta my "dive into this game for hours" fallback.

I had the same problem with my tablet, but then I purchased it from the humble bundle store and could install the APK without any trouble