Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I kinda didn't count 4e because pretty much every martial class was way better there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

disqualified for being too good

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
And yet, also still discouraged from actually punching things or even just having their hands empty. The main purpose of monk unarmed damage dice in 4e was grabbing them with a multiclass feat for your brawler fighter so you could actually play a punchman.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Crotch posted:

And yet, also still discouraged from actually punching things or even just having their hands empty. The main purpose of monk unarmed damage dice in 4e was grabbing them with a multiclass feat for your brawler fighter so you could actually play a punchman.

But at least they started as 'equivalent to a sword' instead with a possible upgrade to 'equivalent to a bastard sword'

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Toplowtech posted:

Never roll your HP, always take the average. The people at the table telling you to roll your Hit Dice when you level just want to see you dead.
But yeah the math sounds weird. I assume you failed your death saves?

I had a con of 10. So 8 HP and I rolled a 2. I was attacked by 3 giant rats. They won initiative and one crit me. The other 2 hit me and I died.
My DM has us both roll for HP and I can take mine, or his blind pick. I rolled a 1 and he rolled a 2.
It sucks because I liked my bard, but now I'm a level 3 dwarven cleric (who went from 25 HP down to 1 from an inflict wounds spell his first round of combat). I'm feeling good about this guy.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
The D&D Next earth element monk was cool. Grab a baddie, inflict bludgeoning vulnerability, go to town.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I had a con of 10. So 8 HP and I rolled a 2. I was attacked by 3 giant rats. They won initiative and one crit me. The other 2 hit me and I died.
My DM has us both roll for HP and I can take mine, or his blind pick. I rolled a 1 and he rolled a 2.
It sucks because I liked my bard, but now I'm a level 3 dwarven cleric (who went from 25 HP down to 1 from an inflict wounds spell his first round of combat). I'm feeling good about this guy.

Now you make it sound like your DM wanted to murder you. Attacking dying PCs is just rude, if technically allowed. It also sounds like you could have lived. If only two other rats hit you while you were dying an neither of them crit, you still had one more chance to stabilize; a pretty trivial task if anyone else in your party was within moving distance of you.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SettingSun posted:

It also sounds like you could have lived. If only two other rats hit you while you were dying an neither of them crit

If you're within 5ft of a dying creature and attack it, that's an auto-crits, so they're always 2 failed Death Saves. Rats can only crit in that scenario.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

If you're within 5ft of a dying creature and attack it, that's an auto-crits, so they're always 2 failed Death Saves. Rats can only crit in that scenario.

drat. I hate being wrong. I always, always forget auto-crits to unconscious things. Probably because of my earlier point that I make creatures move to awake targets when I take out a character.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Arthil posted:

Ah, great. The DM's are gonna be picky about Wave. "You may bring it, but we will be handling the weapon. So it may or may not do what you request it to do."

So once again, any options that could give me a fighting chance? Probably none quite like Wave would have, obviously.

Wow that's... wow. Automatic personality conflict, huh?

poo poo idk bring a Vorpal Sword and hope you get lucky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RC Cola posted:

These posts make me sad :(

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

Ah, great. The DM's are gonna be picky about Wave. "You may bring it, but we will be handling the weapon. So it may or may not do what you request it to do."

So once again, any options that could give me a fighting chance? Probably none quite like Wave would have, obviously.

Bring an Instant Fortress and just keep hurling it at everyone and screaming the command word over and over again.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

These posts make me sad :(

Yeah is this normal for DMs or something? I'm pretty new myself and one of my players got wrecked inside the wolf pen in the goblin ambush part of LMoP and I just made up some poo poo that reasoned him barely escaping with his life instead of dying at level 1 in the first session. I can understand player death being important to enforce at one point especially with experienced parties but this just seems sorta mean.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't monks in 4e have some kind of ki focus implement that was basically like a non-weapon piece of equipment you wore that basically allowed you to have all the benefits of having a weapon while punching dudes still? I completely forget. Anyway I dunno even as much as I like punching things as a monk I feel like I like using a staff or a spear or something just as much as a monk so it never bothered me that much. Unarmed damage was just those extra kicks and poo poo I throw in as a bonus action.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SettingSun posted:

Now you make it sound like your DM wanted to murder you. Attacking dying PCs is just rude, if technically allowed. It also sounds like you could have lived. If only two other rats hit you while you were dying an neither of them crit, you still had one more chance to stabilize; a pretty trivial task if anyone else in your party was within moving distance of you.

Okay so my guy went off on his own through two secret doors to ditch our party. I was solo and I had noticed a whole eaten out the side of a wooden coffin. He gave me ample warning to walk out of the room. I was just trying to not meta game since my new to adventuring bard wouldn't know that it means there are rats in there.
Also I was going to have him 'escape' and roll up another character anyways since my current party is murder hobo and I made my bard to do RPing.

The inflict wounds sucked but also he was rolling on roll20. He just got lucky.

Also also a melee attack on you when you're unconscious is an auto crit, so those two rats gave me 4 death saving throws before my turn.

My DM is usually good at balancing but we are running a 2e(I think?) module (lost city) that he adapted to 5e and isn't changing much about. And we are doing it with 3 people instead of 4.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

acumen posted:

Yeah is this normal for DMs or something? I'm pretty new myself and one of my players got wrecked inside the wolf pen in the goblin ambush part of LMoP and I just made up some poo poo that reasoned him barely escaping with his life instead of dying at level 1 in the first session. I can understand player death being important to enforce at one point especially with experienced parties but this just seems sorta mean.
The GM is running the game as written, including having the monsters make decisions that both make good use of the mechanics and are internally consistent given the monsters' natures. This is a terrible idea because the game does not support, uh, itself. This is not really the GM's fault, they're just doing what the book told them to do and also not deliberately having the monsters act like idiots who want to lose.

RC Cola posted:

Okay so my guy went off on his own through two secret doors to ditch our party. I was solo and I had noticed a whole eaten out the side of a wooden coffin. He gave me ample warning to walk out of the room. I was just trying to not meta game since my new to adventuring bard wouldn't know that it means there are rats in there.
Also I was going to have him 'escape' and roll up another character anyways since my current party is murder hobo and I made my bard to do RPing.

The inflict wounds sucked but also he was rolling on roll20. He just got lucky.

Also also a melee attack on you when you're unconscious is an auto crit, so those two rats gave me 4 death saving throws before my turn.

My DM is usually good at balancing but we are running a 2e(I think?) module (lost city) that he adapted to 5e and isn't changing much about. And we are doing it with 3 people instead of 4.
e: OK this here is why I said not necessarily the GM's fault.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Glagha posted:

Didn't monks in 4e have some kind of ki focus implement that was basically like a non-weapon piece of equipment you wore that basically allowed you to have all the benefits of having a weapon while punching dudes still? I completely forget. Anyway I dunno even as much as I like punching things as a monk I feel like I like using a staff or a spear or something just as much as a monk so it never bothered me that much. Unarmed damage was just those extra kicks and poo poo I throw in as a bonus action.

They had a ki focus which acted like a cleric's holy symbol or a wizard's staff in the context of that system, an implement.

The problem was that virtually all monk attacks were implements, but you could actually use an entirely separate system to execute punch-man attacks as a monk, and it was bad and not generally worth investing in because it did nothing to improve your implement attacks, which were typically your mainstay. This didn't prevent unprepared players from trying to invest in it since monks have traditionally been about the punchy, and then getting disheartened when it became clear that they weren't working as a character.

Generally the 4E monk showed strong evidence of being re-designed halfway through development and was a mess unless you knew what the problems with it were.

Tactically the monk had very good initiative and mobility, but usually not too much in the way of defenses because it was a Dex-based striker and most of its builds did not rely on Con. So if you had an initiative count that went:

1. Monk
2. A bunch of monsters
3. All your friends

...The monk stood a good chance of getting rekt, since its usual play was to move into burst range of as many monsters as possible. This was most apparent at low levels, where 4E is least forgiving.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's funny because in Ye Olden Dayes, everything dealt damage with a 1d6, but we've somehow actually backslid from that

I liked this piece of design because it acknowledged that dangerous weapons are all going to kill you rather (equally) effectively, the difference is in circumstance.

Serf posted:

disqualified for being too good

Disqualified for being too good as a martial.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wow that's... wow. Automatic personality conflict, huh?

poo poo idk bring a Vorpal Sword and hope you get lucky.

I know, right? Maybe it doesn't mean anything but if they're literally bringing it up I feel like it means they will deliberately try to dick me over. All of this for a scenario where I wouldn't even keep the weapon at the end anyway.

Honestly if the other DM and most of the participants that are going weren't there I wouldn't have anything to do with this DM.

Edit: Still hate how this guy words poo poo but supposedly so long as I don't anger the trident I'll be fine. *Rolls eyes*

Also have more information on how the Tournament is being ran. Sounds like there's gonna be some fighting against monsters with teams we can choose, and after that it pushes through into a two team battle royale style, and then finally less people battle royal with the ability/item restrictions.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 20, 2018

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They had a ki focus which acted like a cleric's holy symbol or a wizard's staff in the context of that system, an implement.

The problem was that virtually all monk attacks were implements, but you could actually use an entirely separate system to execute punch-man attacks as a monk, and it was bad and not generally worth investing in because it did nothing to improve your implement attacks, which were typically your mainstay. This didn't prevent unprepared players from trying to invest in it since monks have traditionally been about the punchy, and then getting disheartened when it became clear that they weren't working as a character.

Generally the 4E monk showed strong evidence of being re-designed halfway through development and was a mess unless you knew what the problems with it were.

Tactically the monk had very good initiative and mobility, but usually not too much in the way of defenses because it was a Dex-based striker and most of its builds did not rely on Con. So if you had an initiative count that went:

1. Monk
2. A bunch of monsters
3. All your friends

...The monk stood a good chance of getting rekt, since its usual play was to move into burst range of as many monsters as possible. This was most apparent at low levels, where 4E is least forgiving.

The monk in the campaign I'm running in 4e is only level 4 so I probably haven't noticed any of the non-implement stuff yet. All the implement attacks seem punchy-kicky just with the added bonus that you could use a ki focus to boost your attack/dmg numbers with your fists instead of a weapon. Then at some point they just decided that weapons could be monk implements too didn't they?

The 4e monk also had some added benefits with several powers NOT being close to your allies. Meaning you might often act first, and be encouraged to run into a pack of enemies by yourself to use a burst attack with an advantage from solo-ing them. So far he's managed to stay alive...

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've played a low level 4e monk, though it working fine for me is anecdotal.

However, if you're having initiative problems, I feel bad for you son, got 99 problems and warlords can solve basically all of them.

I did get to play with a warlord who had the "surprise rounds give you standard, move and minor", and then he blew an "everyone gets a free attack" because high level play is never that balanced.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The kensei monk I'm playing in an online game has been quite a bit of fun. Level 6 currently, working with longsword/longbow/whip. But you get the downside still of not being able to choose your unarmed strikes as a kensei weapon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RC Cola posted:

I've learned to not be attached to characters in games that start below level 3, and this is triply true if the DM forces to roll for HP.

Actually if the DM forces roll for HP I just wouldn't play at all. No game is better than bad game.

Arthil posted:

The kensei monk I'm playing in an online game has been quite a bit of fun. Level 6 currently, working with longsword/longbow/whip. But you get the downside still of not being able to choose your unarmed strikes as a kensei weapon.

Kensei Smite should've been 2dX martial dice, and the level 11 ability should've been to let you sub Kensei weapon attacks for Unarmed Strikes in Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows attacks.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

poorlifedecision posted:

The monk in the campaign I'm running in 4e is only level 4 so I probably haven't noticed any of the non-implement stuff yet. All the implement attacks seem punchy-kicky just with the added bonus that you could use a ki focus to boost your attack/dmg numbers with your fists instead of a weapon. Then at some point they just decided that weapons could be monk implements too didn't they?

Flavor-wise there's little separation. Mechanics-wise there are ways for monks to do weapon attacks that exist for some reason and don't tend to be worthwhile unless perhaps you are a bizarre multiclass.

quote:

The 4e monk also had some added benefits with several powers NOT being close to your allies. Meaning you might often act first, and be encouraged to run into a pack of enemies by yourself to use a burst attack with an advantage from solo-ing them. So far he's managed to stay alive...

Right this is what I meant to say. At low levels where there are relatively few options for characters to escape trouble or set up alpha strikes it's a bit of an issue for monks.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've played a low level 4e monk, though it working fine for me is anecdotal.

However, if you're having initiative problems, I feel bad for you son, got 99 problems and warlords can solve basically all of them.

I did get to play with a warlord who had the "surprise rounds give you standard, move and minor", and then he blew an "everyone gets a free attack" because high level play is never that balanced.

To be fair it is not my stance that the 4E monk is borked, but I would describe playing a monk as an uncharacteristically complex experience compared to some other classes. All of the psionic classes have bizarre little problems.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Psionics were not great. I thought monks were the best of the group, mostly because they didn't try to shove in that silly power point gimmick and stuck to the same resource system that all the other classes had. The power point thing was pretty clearly "older editions did it that way, so we'll do it that way too." Man, who even designed for that book?

I did not realize how bad brutal barrage got if you got a damage roll in it, that should have been strictly and openly banned (if it wasn't already).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Psionics were not great. I thought monks were the best of the group, mostly because they didn't try to shove in that silly power point gimmick and stuck to the same resource system that all the other classes had. The power point thing was pretty clearly "older editions did it that way, so we'll do it that way too." Man, who even designed for that book?

I did not realize how bad brutal barrage got if you got a damage roll in it, that should have been strictly and openly banned (if it wasn't already).
Oh yeah, the non-Monk psionic classes are bad. The Psion is the worst of them all - it literally keeps a Level 1 power for the rest of the campaign, spams it, and neutralizes entire encounters.

Battlemind is probably the best of the three power point classes, though it has some problems, too. (And Brutal Barrage should never have a damage roll. There are definitely ways to abuse vulnerabilities with it, however. And other non-abusive combos which give you miss damage and whatnot.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Mike Mearls, lol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I also have learned to not be attached to characters below level 3 but it's too bad because writing back stories used to be one of my favorite things to do.

I still do it for later characters but it always feels tacked on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The Seeker looks really cool at least, but I keep hearing that it's bad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rick posted:

I also have learned to not be attached to characters below level 3 but it's too bad because writing back stories used to be one of my favorite things to do.

I still do it for later characters but it always feels tacked on.

:same:

My middle ground is developing a fair idea of who the character is and what's their story, discussing it with the DM, but to not actually put it in writing beyond the barebones essentials until 5 or so sessions in when both a) I'm sure they won't just die to a bad roll and b) I've gotten a solid grasp of how the character works in play and the context of the group dynamics. That's when I start adding in the details and hooks and giving the editing pass to make sure it's coherent.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

The Bee posted:

It's less bad and more not good. It's also a controller, and the general advice I hear is to skip that role entirely for more entertaining combat. Never got to try it myself, sadly.

It's a bit silly how fragile characters are at 1 compared to 3, especially as it's already a solved problem. I guess you could do a hardcore "anyone can die" campaign keeping everyone at level 1, but

but like why

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Kind of reminds me how the wildlings in ASOIAF don't name their babies till they're three.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya guys, I had a question

I've got a group that are going to be running an evil Campaign, but I noticed that a lot of the Downtime actions don't really have evil options, does anyone have any resources that have things like "leading a cult" as downtime options?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Bee posted:

It's halfway between Controller and Striker, if built right. It's fun, if not precisely a powerhouse. It has enough control to be fun while not having so much it makes combat blow.

Essentials Hunter fills a similar role and is best played multiclassed to Seeker.

There are very few actively terrible classes in 4e. Even the psionic ones are just bad in an "effective but boring" kind of a way. Seekers are below average, for sure, but not a drag on the party. They don't belong in a high-optimized group, but for normal players, sure.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Lead designer was Mike Mearles

Hands up who's surprised

Anyone. Anyone at all. Don't be shy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Lead designer was Mike Mearles

Hands up who's surprised

Anyone. Anyone at all. Don't be shy.

*raises monsterenvy's hand for him*

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I never bought or used those books so I don't care at all who made them.

Stop being a bully Arivia.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I never bought or used those books so I don't care at all who made them.

Stop being a bully Arivia.

funny you bend over to defend him from literally any other criticism

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Do you consider saying "His name is not in the credits for this book, so he was not really involved here, so why are you bringing him up" to be defending him?

Cause when I posted something about a book. You say "Mearls hosed up it up, does not care, or made stupid changes." And you think he somehow makes every single decision and choice about the D&D books.

And other then this, I don't think I have talked about him in a long time.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arivia posted:

This comes off as homophobic, please don't