Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

I always remember that quote from (don't remember who exactly) Superstar WR playing in the pro-bowl who got chewed out and benched by Belichick for half-assing a block. He was so pissed and embarrassed that the next time he went out and loving blocked the poo poo out of his guy, all Belichick says to him is "nice block". Dude is like holy poo poo this guy just coached me into giving him everything, in a meaningless pro-bowl game, and I don't even play for him!

Durandal1707 posted:

That was Tony Gonzales who was talking about being coached by Belichick at the pro bowl. It's amusing nonetheless.

Just to go a little further on this, Belichick was pissed about Tony G's lack of effort blocking during a kick return at the pro bowl, and managed to get him to give full effort on the next return with a single off-hand comment.

The full story is part of this column

quote:

Everyone has a Belichick story – here’s the best one I’ve ever heard. Tony Gonzalez told me this a few years ago over a home-cooked dinner. The story took him about 20 glorious minutes to tell. We’ll condense it.

Gonzalez played in 14 Pro Bowls – he loved playing when it was in Hawaii. Things were always so relaxing there, so fun. One year, Belichick was his coach, and Gonzalez was curious what made this guy so good. Great players are as bedazzled by Bill Belichick’s magic as anyone else. They have all played for good coaches. They have heard all the inspirational stories, all been screamed at for not doing something right, all been shown something on tape that perfectly foreshadowed what they would see in the game. What’s so different about this guy?

On the opening kickoff, Gonzalez was out on special teams – there are no backup players at the Pro Bowl, so the stars have to do some menial things – and he went through the motions and didn’t block anybody. Gonzalez jogged happily to the sidelines.

“Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody Gonzalez,” Belichick grumbled as Gonzalez jogged by.

What? Did he just say that? Gonzalez turned and Belichick was just glaring at him, “like I was a piece of dirt.”

Gonzalez felt himself fuming. This was how the great Bill Belichick treated people? They were at the Pro Bowl, for crying out loud. This was Hawaii, for crying out loud. It was a beautiful day, blue sky, blue water, this was supposed to be a reward, a way to honor Gonzalez for working absurdly hard and having another extraordinary season. And this was what he gets? To have the game’s most famous coach swear at him for not blocking on special teams in an exhibition game?

Oh, yes, he was mad – who did this guy think he was? Gonzalez played football the right way. He didn’t deserve this. He stewed on the sideline, furious. And then it was time to go back on the field for another kickoff, another special teams moment, and the ball was kicked. Gonzalez locked in on a guy running down the field. “Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody?” Sure, he heard it again. OK coach, fine, check out this block.

And Gonzalez absolutely mashed the defender, took him completely out of the play.

Then Gonzalez walked over to the sideline, and you better believe he walked right by Belichick, wanted to see the grimace wiped right off the man’s face. But Belichick showed no signs of even noticing him. He was looking out on the field, seemingly oblivious to Gonzalez’s presence. So Gonzalez kept walking. And as he was a few steps away, he heard Bill Belichick say this:

“Nice block, Gonzalez.”

He looked back, and there was no hint of a smile on Belichick’s face. Bill Belichick just kept looking at the field, and in that moment Tony Gonzalez understood. The man had coached him into blocking on special teams in the Pro Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

As Kalli said, Green Bay had that reputation back in the day. Nowadays the close proximity to Milwaukee helps a bit, as well as players being able to easily afford air travel.

There's usually a significant minority of Packers players who fall in love with the city, like Ahman Green, and end up living here even after they retire or leave the team. The organization has made an emphasis on "treating players right" for the most part, and former Packers players regularly encourage younger players that if they can get a long-term contract in GB they're set.

Green Bay is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In Green Bay you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Green Bay motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/LisaMatthewsAZ/status/1042547255335563264

lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lost Season posted:

Just to go a little further on this, Belichick was pissed about Tony G's lack of effort blocking during a kick return at the pro bowl, and managed to get him to give full effort on the next return with a single off-hand comment.

The full story is part of this column

That’s good. Tony was full of himself and thought this was chill time and Bill knew how to get under his skin for his type

Since Brady is a GOAT with a massive chip on his shoulder Bill is probably needling him with insecurity to get another great season out of him

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
For 99/100 cases I agree that any system or scheme is dumb. Management should adapt to maximize the production of their player talent pool.

But Bill B is the exception. He’s such a cut above every other coach. Let him run his system and grab whatever talent he wants.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Play posted:

He's right though, that is an absolutely meaningless thing to say

If we're going to sit here listing things that are better than Troy Aikman we'll be here all drat night.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/PFF_Chargers/status/1041866656362967040

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm curious as to how often other safeties in the league rush the passer after reading that.

Either way if true that's a really high success rate.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Buffalo's OL but James plays up in the box a LOT

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Despite what's shaping up to be an ungodly pass rush we're going to keep losing.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1042515434883489795

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 20, 2018

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Can someone explain what happened to Joey Bosa? He has a foot rash or something?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Can someone explain what happened to Joey Bosa? He has a foot rash or something?

It's most likely a lisfranc

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at_Ev2kOoI

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Strobe posted:

O/U for Chiefs/Niners is 56.5.

Bet the over.

Totally. Both offenses are going to put up at least 30, and at least one defense will score. This will be one of the most competitive high-scoring games of the season.

BGrifter posted:

If we're going to sit here listing things that are better than Troy Aikman we'll be here all drat night.

Shots loving fired, and that from a Niners fan.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A very strong case of being dead

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bill’s system is basically just negging his hot QB girlfriend so he’ll stay and prove his worth.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i dont think stats acquired against the bills should even count.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Play posted:

He's right though, that is an absolutely meaningless thing to say

Anything that hurts Troy Aikman's feeling is good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Management should adapt to maximize the production of their player talent pool.

That IS Bill's scheme. That's his secret, he changes his poo poo all the time where most other coaches don't. The 2004 offense and defense were nothing like the 2014 version except how plays were named and organized and boring bookkeeping poo poo like that.

The only way he's bad at adapting to talent is at WR, because for Brady to do his thing he needs receivers capable of memorizing tons of play concepts and making reads at the line like he does. But also he sucks rear end at evaluating college WRs so Pats WR draft busts are almost always just busts in general.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I love when Belichick gets mad at reporters. Just remembered this gem:

Bill Belichick: "I'm a football coach. I'm not a doctor ... They don't call plays, I don't do surgeries. We have a great deal here."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That’s pretty whiny and very much in the “you can’t criticize because you never played the game territory”.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

That’s pretty whiny and very much in the “you can’t criticize because you never played the game territory”.

I think that time was more him stonewalling a question about an injured player by saying "I'm not a doctor so gently caress off." I could be mixing up his rear end in a top hat moments though since there are so many.

That said the best thing about Belichick isn't all the times he stonewalls reporters, it's the times when he actually gives a huge :spergin: answer out of nowhere about punting or something.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I love when Belichick gets mad at reporters. Just remembered this gem:

Bill Belichick: "I'm a football coach. I'm not a doctor ... They don't call plays, I don't do surgeries. We have a great deal here."

"Jesus Christ" muttered under his breath is my favorite.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sean10mm posted:

That said the best thing about Belichick isn't all the times he stonewalls reporters, it's the times when he actually gives a huge :spergin: answer out of nowhere about punting or something.

Actually, I find them, and the media's reactions to them, to be pretty tedious.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I like it because you can see his brain instantly start replaying grainy footage of Sammy Baugh's one quick kick in 1945 that gave the team an extra 4.62% chance to win.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Week 2: after a second phenomenal win, Ryan Fitzpatrick shows up to the postgame press conference wearing DeSean Jackson's clothes

Week 7: after a horrific loss, Ryan Fitzpatrick shows up to the postgame press conference wearing DeSean Jackson's skin.

Week 9: after 2 weeks of abysmal play by Jameis Winston, a straight-jacketed Ryan Fitzpatrick is once again installed as the #1qb for a Buccs team with a narrow shot at a wildcard berth.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hunterhr posted:

"Jesus Christ" muttered under his breath is my favorite.

it's this, without a doubt

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Did you guys know that Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The answers seem fine when he does this, and I do find most of that stuff interesting on at least some level when it happens.

The media response is where it starts to feel off. "Oh this man who clearly despises everything about dealing with us just spent a solid minute discussing the evolution of the drop kick, isn't he just the best?!"

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1042779463442939904?s=19

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, that jags reaction shot is avatar material

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

The answers seem fine when he does this, and I do find most of that stuff interesting on at least some level when it happens.

The media response is where it starts to feel off. "Oh this man who clearly despises everything about dealing with us just spent a solid minute discussing the evolution of the drop kick, isn't he just the best?!"

The whole interaction between coaches and the media is a dishonest exercise. Coaches are speaking in generic terms about everything, trying not to give out any real information and reporters are generally only interested in eliciting a reaction that can be used as a sound bite.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The whole interaction between coaches and the media is a dishonest exercise. Coaches are speaking in generic terms about everything, trying not to give out any real information and reporters are generally only interested in eliciting a reaction that can be used as a sound bite.

Big if true.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, but that sound bite is the only thing anyone wants. A tiny, tiny fraction of fans care about actual analysis, but if they can get a coach to exasperatedly say Playoffs? then they can run that clip for a decade. Like during training camp, assistant coaches / positional coaches give press conferences where they talk through way more detail, but effectively nobody ever quotes one of those for anything.

So yeah, dishonest exercise, which has resulted in Belichick's complete anti-discussion itself become a soundbite.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1042771633214246912

Oh my god please happen so Boston radio goes nuclear

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Cmon raiders

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it'd be hilarious in either situation. In New England just the sheer amount of media attention would be ridiculous, while in Oakland, there's no way Gruden doesn't keep saying/doing stupid poo poo and cause a QB controversy.

Also Browns - Jets is gonna be real good and a team is gonna go 1-1-1.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Unless the Browns absolutely demolish the Jets I will continue my decent into Kawalimus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Imagine what would happen if Gruden benched Carr for Kap

• Locked thread