Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm glad later games made certain Pokemon lose their annoying gimmicks so they weren't gimped playability-wise for X levels.

Like, Feebas is a rare equivalent of Magikarp and does the same Splash nonsense, but at least you can teach it moves like Ice Beam. It's not going to hit hard, but it's still something more than flopping around uselessly for several levels!

Feebas is both better and worse than Magikarp. On the positive side, you can only have to put up with its bullshit for one level.

On the negative side, pre-Generation V you could screw yourself out of getting one entirely because the condition is leveling it up with max Beauty. I think the remakes gave you alternative conditions to increase beauty, but...

Also, let's not forget about the painsteaking trials of getting one in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, as annoying as leveling something like Magikarp or Abra is, at the very least both their catching and evolution requirements aren't complete nonsense.

And honestly, by the time you have any decent TM you could teach Feebas, you could have just evolved it anyways.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

LiefKatano posted:

On the negative side, pre-Generation V you could screw yourself out of getting one entirely because the condition is leveling it up with max Beauty. I think the remakes gave you alternative conditions to increase beauty, but....

In gen V (pokemon white/Black) and onwards you need to trade it holding a prism scale. For a person who don’t live near friends who will do tradebacks, trades like this is :suicide:. Especially before there was friendcodes and such.

I don’t think you can actually evolve feebas in firered. Though I could be wrong, I think you need to trade it to g/s/c and evolve it there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't know if it's "nonsense", I always thought it was quite flavorful the way the ugly fish, when helped discover its own beauty, becomes a beautiful sea serpent.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Tazgirl18992 posted:

In gen V (pokemon white/Black) and onwards you need to trade it holding a prism scale. For a person who don’t live near friends who will do tradebacks, trades like this is :suicide:. Especially before there was friendcodes and such.

I don’t think you can actually evolve feebas in firered. Though I could be wrong, I think you need to trade it to g/s/c and evolve it there.

That's correct. Mixed up which game Daisy's massage treatments(?) increased Beauty in.

Which meant it took until HeartGold and SoulSilver, the backest half of Generation IV, to have a surefire way to let Feebas evolve! Wow.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

That's correct. Mixed up which game Daisy's massage treatments(?) increased Beauty in.

Which meant it took until HeartGold and SoulSilver, the backest half of Generation IV, to have a surefire way to let Feebas evolve! Wow.

Gen IV had Poffins, which were quite easy to make. Gen III had, of course, the berry blocks which were also easy to make and could be easily maxed out with the 3 NPCs that'd help. So, it wasn't that bad in gen 3 or 4.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I just played up to Bill, accidentally skipped some of his dialogue, reset my ROM, and realized I hadn't saved.

I'm good at this! :downs:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Perfectly natural reaction to Bill and his shenanigans imo.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Seyser Koze posted:

I just played up to Bill, accidentally skipped some of his dialogue, reset my ROM, and realized I hadn't saved.

This is actually your character wiping her mind at the horror she saw at Bill's house. As was said:

FPzero posted:

Perfectly natural reaction to Bill and his shenanigans imo.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Bill's a Pokemaniac, after all!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seyser Koze posted:

Rather than playing the game with a finger on the screenshot button, I suggest recording video of each play session and grabbing screenshots from there. It should help prevent messes like this, and was a lifesaver on occasions where there was a text formatting error in the game and I ended up having to go frame-by-frame in order to grab a shot (although FireRed has no major errors like that, AFAIK). VBA has built-in video capture, IIRC, and as long as you record using a lossless codec you should be fine on image quality.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Open Broadcaster Software is also really good at capturing game footage. I've used it for multiple projects both video and screenshot. I'd definitely recommend the "record first, screenshot second" method though it does take a little longer since you have to re-watch your footage to get the screens.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just posting to say I'm really enjoying this LP so much so its inspired me to have a run through of leaf green myself.

Great work OP.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Commander Keene posted:

Rather than playing the game with a finger on the screenshot button, I suggest recording video of each play session and grabbing screenshots from there. It should help prevent messes like this, and was a lifesaver on occasions where there was a text formatting error in the game and I ended up having to go frame-by-frame in order to grab a shot (although FireRed has no major errors like that, AFAIK). VBA has built-in video capture, IIRC, and as long as you record using a lossless codec you should be fine on image quality.
Alternatively you can take screenshots as you go along and use video as a backup.

I might just be weird in that I find having to grab screenshots from video a bigger pain in the rear end than just mashing the screenshot button as I go, though.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'm Becoming... Brundlemon

All right, leaving the field of disappointment behind us, let's get back to our quest to meet Bill.

The little rise to the north of us contains yet another TM. We should probably do something with a couple of these.

First we need to take care of something, though. Having a female Oddish named Oscar was rubbing me the wrong way, so I catch another one and fix that.

Then I teach her to pew pew.

Moving on into Route 25...

And holy crap, this place is hopping. The patch of grass at the upper-left just seems to be more of what we've already seen, so let's get right into saying hello.

This guy seems to be similarly trapped by unfriendly post-Mount-Moon geography.

He has a Machop, some kind of punchy looking dinosaur 'mon, I guess. It's pretty flammable, although it spends its time charging up for something that probably would've hurt if it landed.

My condolences.

I wanted to see what would happen if two trainers could spot you at once, but only the closest one took an interest.

He's a bit more businesslike than the shorts fanatics we're used to.

The other one follows up by bragging about how his dad takes him on cruises. Meanwhile Kat has to trudge through mountains infested with feral bats by herself. It's just not fair.

He's a single-Mon user, so it's time to see something new. His rich dad also gets him special Pokemon, I guess, because Jesus that thing is a behemoth.

And he has Water Gun.

Felicia, on the other hand, takes pretty minimal damage from Water Gun, and can seed-spit the pink hippo thing into submission over the course of a few turns. :thumbsup:

Uh-huh. :byewhore:

Guess I'm going to have to go there, won't I?

I'm trying to see Bill, but the locals keep getting in the way!

Nothing we haven't seen before.

I sure am!

Nice of him to point that out, actually, I legitimately wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

That's... nice? Is this the "brag about how I have nice stuff" route?

She has a male and female Nidoran, and they almost put The Rock down. I really need to take a little time to grind at some point.

Well, you're training, so I'd say you're at least on the right track. :)

Aww, shucks. I'm sorry if I got snippy before. This route isn't so bad.

Weird how this guy refers to "a" Pokemaniac, when everybody else around seems to know Bill by reputation. Is there more than one?

The unfortunately-named Nob has three Geodudes, followed by a Machop, but we're used to these already, I think.

After being beaten he just continues the conversation where he left off. I'm getting hyped about Bill, though!

I narrowly stop myself from walking right up to the guy and make him come out to get me. I guess this is the boyfriend of the girl we already fought? At least he won't be hitting on Kat or anything.

His Ekans managed to poison Aznable, necessitating another run back to town after this.

Uh-oh.

:j: "OMG, I just fought this other trainer who was sooooo much tougher and cooler than you! I don't want to go out with you anymore!"
:v: :smith:

After the fight he stays out in the open, so I can walk around him and loot the TM without needing to cut the tree down. "Secret Power" is a pretty unspecified ability, though, even with the explanation the game provides.

This guy's dashing up and down without end. I ran by him just to see if I could (I could), but HONOR dictates that I stand and face him.

People are receiving divine inspiration to pick fights with us now. I'm starting to get worried.

One Ekans and one Sandshrew later... okay, now I'm worried about him and not just myself.

Well, there's cute, and then there's my team of snakes and bugs and firebreathing mohawk lizards.

After chewing through her team (a Pidgey and two Oddishes), Noodle finally learns a proper physical attack (instead of Wrap, a slow DoT, or poison, a slow DoT that can be resisted). :woop:

It's okay, cute things are all right too.

...Although I think the game might be actively mocking me now.

No time to dwell on that, though. We're here!

There's a couple hanging out outside.

Turns out they're not trainers. It's nice to know this about Misty, I guess, although Kat lives only for POKEMON and BATTLE.

Enough faffing about, though. Let's go in and say hello to the famous Bill!

Or... not? I guess he's out. And his place is a dump. What's he working on in here? A flat-screen display?

He also left his Clefairy sitting out. I'm really not sure what this pose is supposed to be.

:stare:

I shall never forget that scream as long as I live.

The scream of a young girl, scarcely ten years old, fresh with the innocence of youth...

...Walking in on a man trying on a fursuit.

Be afraid. Be very---

Oh.

Oh! Is... is that all? You should have said something! :sweatdrop:

okay i guess you did but still

I could help him, but I never did manage to catch a Clefairy, and I've got some extra Pokeballs, so

You're not making me less inclined to stuff you in a ball, Bill. I don't even need to take you with me, I'll just do it out of spite.

:sigh:

Kat activates the device, which does its thing...

And Bill pops out.

No sign of the Pokemon, though. She's gone into space... just a stream of Clefairy atoms. It'd be funny if life weren't so sacred.

But hey, the next thing we know, he's waving a ticket at us.

Yes, a party. That sounds like just the thing to help us forget this experience.

Kat can't run back to Cerulean fast enough.

And already, we can tell that things have changed. But Kat's been through enough for one session.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Seyser Koze posted:

I wanted to see what would happen if two trainers could spot you at once, but only the closest one took an interest.

This is something other games actually do, so you end up against an angry sailor and a little girl with an umbrella who have teamed up to take you down.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Seyser Koze posted:

After chewing through her team (a Pidgey and two Oddishes), Noodle finally learns a proper physical attack (instead of Wrap, a slow DoT, or poison, a slow DoT that can be resisted). :woop:

About that...

Dark type attacks scale off Special Attack, I'm guessing to be a counterpoint to Fighting's Physical. Ironically next generation when moves are divided into physical or special on a move by move basis instead of it being entirely based off type, all except one Dark type attack was made physical. Similary, almost all Ghost type moves (which were physical pre-split) were made special.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Seyser Koze posted:

The unfortunately-named Nob has three Geodudes, followed by a Machop, but we're used to these already, I think.

'Nob' is the goon Doug Dinsdale, who worked on the Pokemon localisation/translation/writing for... at least four generations, I don't remember when he left. Don't think he's active around here any more, but he's got a random trainer named Nob in every game he worked on and there's at least one reference to a previous Something Awful let's-play in a later game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Don't worry! Even though Bill wasn't wearing a fursuit, I'm sure the game will try its best to find more ways to scar your trainer for life. :)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

magikid posted:

This is something other games actually do, so you end up against an angry sailor and a little girl with an umbrella who have teamed up to take you down.

I'm not sure but I thiiiink this game might have it in the extra content that wasn't in the original red/blue.

Also, Bill did, in fact, wear a fursuit in the anime.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm not sure but I thiiiink this game might have it in the extra content that wasn't in the original red/blue.

Double battles weren't a thing yet when this game came out, they were a new feature in Emerald.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Truthkeeper posted:

Double battles weren't a thing yet when this game came out, they were a new feature in Emerald.

They definitely were a thing. They were introduced in Ruby/Sapphire, and even had a gym leader who’s gimmick revolves around double battles.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, Bill did, in fact, wear a fursuit in the anime.

Just going to leave this here...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

They definitely were a thing. They were introduced in Ruby/Sapphire, and even had a gym leader who’s gimmick revolves around double battles.

yeah, emerald just added more opportunities for them, including the dynamic ones where you can get caught by two trainers that could alternatively be fought one at a time

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Vandar posted:

Apparently Emerald introduced double battles starting when two trainers see you at the same time, instead of just specific trainer classes like Sis and Bro. So it's sort of correct, but not really.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

So fun fact, you could legitimately get yourself stuck on Route 25 in Gen 1, and it might even be possible in Gen 3. In Gen 1, saving and resetting the game causes all NPCs to go back to their default map positions.

This little area with the TM for Secret Power becomes accessible when the NPC trainer blocking it has moved out of the way after you battle them. But in Gen 1 if you saved the game and reset in this spot, he'd go back to his default position.

That means you'd be trapped in that little square, and be legitimately stuck enough to have to start a new game. There's no way out of the area, you've already saved and can't just reset to an earlier point in time, and there's no patches of grass with wild Pokemon, meaning you can't faint your party in order to get sent back to the Pokemon Center.

Yes, people have done exactly this before.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Saladin Rising posted:

So fun fact, you could legitimately get yourself stuck on Route 25 in Gen 1, and it might even be possible in Gen 3. In Gen 1, saving and resetting the game causes all NPCs to go back to their default map positions.

This little area with the TM for Secret Power becomes accessible when the NPC trainer blocking it has moved out of the way after you battle them. But in Gen 1 if you saved the game and reset in this spot, he'd go back to his default position.

That means you'd be trapped in that little square, and be legitimately stuck enough to have to start a new game. There's no way out of the area, you've already saved and can't just reset to an earlier point in time, and there's no patches of grass with wild Pokemon, meaning you can't faint your party in order to get sent back to the Pokemon Center.

Yes, people have done exactly this before.

That's what you get for not bringing an Abra.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

About that...

Dark type attacks scale off Special Attack, I'm guessing to be a counterpoint to Fighting's Physical. Ironically next generation when moves are divided into physical or special on a move by move basis instead of it being entirely based off type, all except one Dark type attack was made physical. Similary, almost all Ghost type moves (which were physical pre-split) were made special.

But don't Fire Red and Leaf Green play by Gen 3 rules regarding the physical/special split?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cockmaster posted:

But don't Fire Red and Leaf Green play by Gen 3 rules regarding the physical/special split?

That's what I'm saying. Bite is still a Special attack in this game.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Slay Misty for Me

Back in Cerulean City, and with the Cronenbergian nightmare of Bill's house behind her, Kat notices that a couple things have changed in town.

The Keystone Kop over here has stepped aside, allowing free access to the active crime scene he's guarding.

Meanwhile, the girl on the south side of town is still unsuccessfully trying to get her Slowpoke to do stuff. They've moved, but the tree they were blocking is still impassable, so we'll march through the crime scene instead.

Apparently the Reptites fled through here on their way back from stealing the Gate Key.

The residents don't seem to mind my strolling on through. For some reason the phrase "DIG their way into no good!" keeps making me giggle, I don't know why.

The Team Rocket goon is still loitering out back, and he's no less terrible at playing innocent than you'd expect of a man who's trying to DIG his way into no good.

He has a Machop, which gets fried almost immediately, and this guy, who looks like he's going to evolve into Watto from Star Wars in a few levels. As you'd guess from the name, he manages to zonk a couple of my Pokemon to sleep before going down, but without any real trouble.

And just like that, we have the stolen TM. That was easy.

On the off chance that the victims want their loot back, I go back inside, but apparently there are Pokemon who learn how to dig on their own? What's the big deal then?

Oh. Okay. It's just an attack/escape move. I figured we'd be using it to tunnel our way through stuff on the map, the way the Rocket grunt evidently tunneled his way out of the house here. Oh well.

But with this, we're finally able to access the other exits from Cerulean City! :woop:

Yes, access! We now have access to Route 9! It's like having access to healthcare in the United States! :discourse:

The southern path to Saffron City at least appears to be open. Or at least it's not immediately blocked.

We could head on our way, but we have some unfinished business.

(Then again, if you look at my Pokemon lineup, you can guess that my first rematch attempt didn't go all that well.)

Felicia does pretty well for herself initially, Bullet Seeding the Staryu to death with a single attack.

The Starmie, however...

...Still doesn't play nice. Swift is fast, as the name implies, and does just over half of Felicia's health. She does manage to take a big chunk out of the Starmie's health in return, but there's no way she's finishing the Starmie off before getting KO'd herself.

I burn through my entire supply of Potions hoping that Misty will use a water attack and give me respite, but no luck. I don't know if the AI is doing that on purpose or if I'm just that unlucky.

Barbra can't do much for damage, but does manage to leave her mark on the foe.

But then the rest of the team falls quickly. Az manages to hang on for a turn or two longer than I expected thanks to the paralysis, but still doesn't have time to finish the enemy off.

(Full disclosure: I quit here and later reloaded, so this loss to Misty isn't part of the "official" run. Granted, I once again went in with a bunch of Pokemon 5-10 levels lower than the Starmie, and two of them were still asleep from the Drowzee fight, so I don't know what I expected.)

A quick trip back to the Pokecenter to change the lineup a little bit. While I'm here I notice that SOMEONE's PC now has the proper name on it, so I can remember the good times we shared with Bill wherever we go.

The re-rematch with Misty goes roughly the same, except that Felicia doesn't get as many hits against the Starmie and I swap Amuro in to replace her. Let's see if all that unintentional grinding paid off.

Did I mention that this bastard recovers its own health? Because it recovers its own health.

But Amuro is just able to zap it before we have a repeat of last time.

Phew.

:toot:

...There's a level cap? Huh.

Well, that's nice. Too bad most of the trees we've seen are now inaccessible thanks to Cerulean City's horrendous landscaping. :argh:

And another TM to add to our growing collection!

Oh. Ohhhhhh yes. :getin:

...And I really hope you turn out to be the secret final boss so that I can have the satisfaction of kicking your teeth in.

And with that, I think we're finally done with the Cerulean City region. We'll head either south or east next time, although I'm leaning towards south.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 29, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The level cap only affects traded Pokemon so you can basically ignore its existence. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Basically, while some Pokemon can learn moves on level-up, others might not have access to it normally and could benefit from it, whether for bolstering their own movepools or chain breeding a skill to another Pokemon. :eng101:

You're right that Dig is not that great, though, beyond its overworld effect.

And Swift is one of those attacks with speed modifiers, so unless you're using something like Quick Attack with a faster Pokemon, Swift will pretty much always go first. I believe it never misses, either.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Unless it's been changed and I missed it, Swift isn't a priority move. It just never misses.

Except in original Gen 1 where it could miss like 1/256 times and if it did, then it bugged out and it would only hit 1/256 times instead.

e; Wait, no, sorry. The miss chance thing is still true because Gen1 did that for everything, but the glitch is for a different move.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh yeah, Swift is just 100% accuracy. My bad!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Btw, I forgot to mention... isn't there something optional to see on Bill's computer after you return him to normal? Or was that removed for this version?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oh this is such a fun LP so far. :toot:
I had a lot of your same experiences back as a kid, started with Charmander get stomped by 2 gyms and being lost as hell at times :v:

When you do get a psychic type name it either Newtype or NT-D depending on if your soul is weighed down by gravity or not. :v:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 29, 2018

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dig was amazing in Gen 1 and then got nerfed pretty hard

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
On Route 6, you'll run into my favorite Pokémon. Please name him Kai, after my favorite MSG character.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

When you do get a psychic type name it either Newtype or NT-D depending on if your soul is weighed down by gravity or not. :v:

Boo. I already told him to name an Abra "Lalah," and I think it's much more specific. I guess other Psychic types could be, like, Chalia or Paptimus (too many letters? Scirocco would be as well) or Rosamia or Four or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Patter Song posted:

Boo. I already told him to name an Abra "Lalah," and I think it's much more specific. I guess other Psychic types could be, like, Chalia or Paptimus (too many letters? Scirocco would be as well) or Rosamia or Four or something.

I'm pretty sure Pokemon nicknames have 10-character limits, at least in this game.