Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Ooh I also want to try Kavil with dorsal, R4, expert handling and Han Solo. 54 points for a pretty punchy circle strafer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Debris Gambit is good on Guri.

I've been using that and Collision Detector with the title, but I'm not sold on the title actually being worth it. Just buying a shield for 2 points less would have been better in most of my games.

Played at release tournament last weekend. One dude had Guri with the title. Over 4 rounds, he used the extra booth thing once.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

enigmahfc posted:

Played at release tournament last weekend. One dude had Guri with the title. Over 4 rounds, he used the extra booth thing once.

Yeah, I think over 2 weeks of occasinal playtesting I've used the boost 3 times, and maybe once or twice missed it and realised I should have during the following round.

It combos nicely with Collision Detector, but... all too often you want that linked calculate.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

And that line should be a bullet point in the 'Attack' section of the rules reference, then possibly referenced in the FAQ for Han Solo.
Wasn't the whole point of having a pdf rules reference instead of a printed one so that they could make changes like that?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

g0del posted:

Wasn't the whole point of having a pdf rules reference instead of a printed one so that they could make changes like that?

This, too.

In a living document there is ZERO excuse for not making ongoing changes like this properly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

g0del posted:

thespaceinvader posted:

This, too.

In a living document there is ZERO excuse for not making ongoing changes like this properly.

Yup. But that said, I'd MUCH rather see the card text errata'd to use the 'bonus attack' verbiage, AND see an update to the 'attack' section saying 'An attack is ONLY the one attack each ship gets as part of the engagement phase, EVERY OTHER attack in a turn is a Bonus attack,' and 'Bonus Attack' already makes it clear that you get one bonus attack per turn, period.

It costs them literally the time to write, proofread, and apply the formatting style to a few lines, and the time to click 'publish PDF to website.'

Hell, I'd like to see the cards have revision numbers printed on them, and errata applying to those revision numbers, rather than 'errata for Saw's Renegades and TIE Reaper.' Then reprints can have corrected language.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

Yup. But that said, I'd MUCH rather see the card text errata'd to use the 'bonus attack' verbiage, AND see an update to the 'attack' section saying 'An attack is ONLY the one attack each ship gets as part of the engagement phase, EVERY OTHER attack in a turn is a Bonus attack,' and 'Bonus Attack' already makes it clear that you get one bonus attack per turn, period.

It costs them literally the time to write, proofread, and apply the formatting style to a few lines, and the time to click 'publish PDF to website.'

Hell, I'd like to see the cards have revision numbers printed on them, and errata applying to those revision numbers, rather than 'errata for Saw's Renegades and TIE Reaper.' Then reprints can have corrected language.

Honestly, I'd prefer to see a general 'only one attack outside your normal activation' rule, and ALL bonus attacks errated to just plain attacks. The word is completely redundant now.

OR to see the bonus attack rule remain as it is, and Han changed to a bonus attack, to leave open the option for intentional non-bonus extra attacks.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’m experimenting with reusing my 1e upgrade card binder sheets for small ship tokens, with little Velcro dots to hold them in.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

TheCenturion posted:

I’m experimenting with reusing my 1e upgrade card binder sheets for small ship tokens, with little Velcro dots to hold them in.

That’s pretty brilliant! I just recently gave my upgrade card binder to my friend who plays a lot of Legion, I could have done that :(

I do have some older sheets that may work that way, it’d definitely help organize and clean up my storage boxes. Although I’m always trying to find ways to reduce what I carry or use.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

With Composure basically dead for Jake, I stripped him naked and upgraded Dutch to an Ion Cannon Turret.

A/SF-01 B-wing - Ten Numb - 54
•Ten Numb - Blue Five (50)
Squad Leader (4)

T-65 X-wing - Thane Kyrell - 49
•Thane Kyrell - Corona Four (48)
Trick Shot (1)
Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

RZ-1 A-wing - Jake Farrell - 40
•Jake Farrell - Sage Instructor (40)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - “Dutch” Vander - 57
•“Dutch” Vander - Gold Leader (42)
Trick Shot (1)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)
Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

Total: 200/200

Ran the previous version with Dorsal and Composure tonight, was pretty happy with it. I flubbed Thane onto a rock by a millimeter and got eaten alive by Graz/Fenn/Talonbane as a result. Managed to pull through and kill Talonbane and Graz but Ten died at Range 1 to five hits taking his last five health, leaving Jake with 1 shield against a full health Fenn. It did not go well.

Jake is still good even naked, and having an Ion Turret gives me a bit of extra control.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I like Elusive on Jake, but your list looks like it's hitting the points wall hard enough that finding three spare points is a tall order.

Jake for [1.0 equivalent 20 points] is insane for how good he is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I could dump the gunner and get Protons or Seismics but I don't know that that is worth it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

I like Elusive on Jake, but your list looks like it's hitting the points wall hard enough that finding three spare points is a tall order.

Jake for [1.0 equivalent 20 points] is insane for how good he is.

Still salty he isn't I5 though. And that there's no I5 or 6 A-Wing pilot. Honestly the main reason I've not picked up a rebel conversion kit. It's their Interceptor or Fang, and it has no actual aces. The gently caress?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm real curious what the release schedule is going to be. Two new factions, two split off factions, no more side story movies for the moment. There will be new releases of old ships but I can't see ALL of them getting stuff. Wave 1 gave us seven ships; I have to wonder if that will increase.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Gate posted:

Still salty he isn't I5 though. And that there's no I5 or 6 A-Wing pilot. Honestly the main reason I've not picked up a rebel conversion kit. It's their Interceptor or Fang, and it has no actual aces. The gently caress?

He was PS7 in 1.0, so I4 is reasonable.

Also, the highest PS A-Wing pilot in 1.0 was Tycho at 8, so an I6 pilot would have to be someone new I think.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Some Numbers posted:

Also, the highest PS A-Wing pilot in 1.0 was Tycho at 8, so an I6 pilot would have to be someone new I think.

He was always run with VI though, and so was Tycho mostly. His ability then was made for running like an arc-dodging ace. It's just frustrating to see one of the two (E-Wing and A-Wing) Rebel ships that's a dodgy dogfighter cap out at I4, and so have no chance to actually be used in the main role it could shine at. And plenty of other pilots had their PS shifted around to make sense, there's zero reason he couldn't have been at least I5. Guri, Norra, Maarek all jumped to 5 in 2E from 7 or lower in 1E just to name a few.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm really happy he's not more expensive, and also happy I can play activation games with him and E-wings.

You can still arc dodge with I4 it just takes more effort and has a lower margin for error.

Git gud, etc.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Here's hoping they kept Jake low so he can help an upcoming true A wing ace do pre-movement shenanigans. At the same PS as the Bwing aces, he does do some fun interactions with their linked actions too.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
I'm going to my first 2.0 event tomorrow. It's a generally casual thing that has achievements for raffle tickets and the like but I guess there is also a prize for most wins or something. I built one list from each faction since we can switch lists, but I'm having a lot of trouble with getting a Rebel list together outside of wanting to use Kyle in Moldy Crow. I'll put my lists below; maybe you dudes can help me out?

Scum list inspired by goon 2.0 lists list posted:

Boba Fett (80)
Fearless (3)
Perceptive Copilot (10)
Marauder (3)
Han Solo (Scum) (4)

Fenn Rau (68)
Fearless (3)

L3-37 (Escape Craft) (22)
Tactical Officer (2)

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I figure a 5 point bid is a decent amount to face off against other I6 ships; feels like a decent amount.

Babby's first Soontir list posted:

Soontir Fel (52)

Delta Squadron Pilot (72)

Delta Squadron Pilot (72)

Total: 196

I really want Lone Wolf on Soontir here, but going in at 200 seems like a deathwish.

I dunno man, Something with Kyle in it posted:

Kyle Katarn (38)
Composure (2)
Jyn Erso (2)
Moldy Crow (12)

Phoenix Squadron Pilot (30)

Phoenix Squadron Pilot (30)

Cavern Angels Zealot (41)
R4 Astromech (2)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Cavern Angels Zealot (41)
R4 Astromech (2)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 200

I really have no idea what I'm doing here. I don't know what's good in Rebels besides SNR Luke, and like has been discussed, he doesn't really have a wingman.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Some Numbers posted:

Speaking of Tycho why did they kill off my favorite pilot? He is nowhere to be found in the Rebel Conversion kit! :(

RIP my stressed out boy may he forever fly circles around TIES in heaven.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of Tycho why did they kill off my favorite pilot? He is nowhere to be found in the Rebel Conversion kit! :(

RIP my stressed out boy may he forever fly circles around TIES in heaven.

He'll be back when the rerelease the A Wing unless I miss my guess.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

What are yall's approach to building a new list? Is it a card or ship you really want to fly? Is it mechanical goal you want to accomplish (alpha strike, token denial, etc)? Or simply something thematic?

I've noticed certain trends in the lists I've most enjoyed. The list usually has two or three ships. The ships are ideally pretty different from each other, both in how they function and their purpose in the list. They also need to be able to work fairly independent. So I'm not into running three identical ships, or ships that only work if they're all jousting the same thing. A familiar example is thread favourite FennZuckMan. How differently the ships function allow the individual ships adapt to the game independent from each other (less so as the nerfs kept hitting Manaroo). Letting me do a super risky move with Fenn maybe, while Manaroo and Zuckus can continue doing whatever they're doing. The ships also look totally different. For some reason I also really dig the idea of my list being a rag-tag group of pilots, and not some corporate run group of soldiers.

So I feel like whenever I start making a new list, I subconsciously try to make something that checks these boxes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

uncle blog posted:

What are yall's approach to building a new list? Is it a card or ship you really want to fly? Is it mechanical goal you want to accomplish (alpha strike, token denial, etc)? Or simply something thematic?

I've noticed certain trends in the lists I've most enjoyed. The list usually has two or three ships. The ships are ideally pretty different from each other, both in how they function and their purpose in the list. They also need to be able to work fairly independent. So I'm not into running three identical ships, or ships that only work if they're all jousting the same thing. A familiar example is thread favourite FennZuckMan. How differently the ships function allow the individual ships adapt to the game independent from each other (less so as the nerfs kept hitting Manaroo). Letting me do a super risky move with Fenn maybe, while Manaroo and Zuckus can continue doing whatever they're doing. The ships also look totally different. For some reason I also really dig the idea of my list being a rag-tag group of pilots, and not some corporate run group of soldiers.

So I feel like whenever I start making a new list, I subconsciously try to make something that checks these boxes.

I'll always run a thematic list instead of something good.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

You’d be surprised how many actually do.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Madurai posted:

I'll always run a thematic list instead of something good.

Tie Bombers flying in formation is thematic, isn't it?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
My general approach is usually something like this: come up with a ship (or two or three, whatever) that I want to run. Sometimes a specific build of that ship, sometimes I just want that pilot ability. Figure out what that ship does. Does it arc dodge, joust, bomb? What sort of upgrades does it want? Does it need some support ship to really work? Then I build around that. I try to make sure that any list has some answer to the following two questions: how does it kill a swarm? And how does it kill a nasty ace?

Once I have answers to all that I just play around with a list builder and make a few versions until something looks interesting, and play it. My person lean is towards aces, usually Imperial because they have more options for them than the other two factions, and tend towards finesse/evasion over hp. With them I see several cool ships that I wanted to fly again in 2e. Whisper, Soontir are top of that list, but Vader, Duchess, Redline, etc are also included. So I start trying to fit those together into a list that looks coherent.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

uncle blog posted:

I try to find a mechanic or two that I like and find ships that can do that.

For example, I really love repositioning. The ability to boost or roll, preferably pre-movement, is pretty much mandatory for me. I also REALLY like blocking the other guy. At one point, before blocking became meaningless in first edition, I reserved points for an Academy Pilot in every imperial list I made. Lastly, I like effects that share lots of tokens around.

FennZuckMan had all of those things, and it's my favorite list I've ever flown.

In second edition, I'm pretty sure only Imperials can do the things I love in a way that synergizes with each other. I'm pretty sure that I'm starting to zero in on my first list, and it likely involves both Duchess (Juke or Outmaneuver + Fifth Brother) and a gunboat (Proton Torps, Arsenal config, adv SLAM, FCS).

Last night I flew Duchess (Juke + Fifth Brother + Shield Upgrade) + Vynder (ProTorps + Crack Shot + Arsenal config + Adv SLAM + FCS) + Whisper (Juke, Vader, Stealth) to test things out. It was solid. Anything your ships move after is just dead. If you move before something, you have three extremely nimble ships to bump it and leave it vulnerable to the other two.

I'm not quite sure this is the right group yet, but it feels pretty good.

However, I'm also starting to look at double Lambda + Whisper. It lacks the repositioning of Duchess and the Gunboat, but Whisper isn't exactly a slouch at it. And dear god is it tanky.

This is the base I'm testing for that: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galact...20Squadron&obs= (Edit: Sai should have 0-0-0, in case it doesn't load properly for some reason)

OGP focuses. Sai coordinates reinforce, so both are reinforced, then gets a lock from the title. Neither Lambda gives a gently caress about rocks. Whisper does Whisper things.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 21, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Many things.

I'm looking at the Reaper a lot. I don't have one yet, since I bailed on 1e before it came out, but should have one next week. You might check out those instead of a shuttle or two? They seem to fit a similar supportish role, but differently. Less durable than the shuttle a bit, but way more maneuverable and a smaller base, and better at jamming than coordinate.

I dunno, they seem really interesting. I'm curious to get my hands on it and see how it goes in practice. Anything with a 1 sloop and free pre move "boost" can't be too bad. And there's the bonus that unlike the shuttle, if your ace(s) die and it's the last thing left, you can still possibly win and get it's guns on even a slippery target.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

I'm looking at the Reaper a lot. I don't have one yet, since I bailed on 1e before it came out, but should have one next week. You might check out those instead of a shuttle or two? They seem to fit a similar supportish role, but differently. Less durable than the shuttle a bit, but way more maneuverable and a smaller base, and better at jamming than coordinate.

I dunno, they seem really interesting. I'm curious to get my hands on it and see how it goes in practice. Anything with a 1 sloop and free pre move "boost" can't be too bad. And there's the bonus that unlike the shuttle, if your ace(s) die and it's the last thing left, you can still possibly win and get it's guns on even a slippery target.

I hate the 2.0 reaper. First edition reaper was EXTREMELY my jam (lol puns), but second edition reaper feels way worse.

Medium base means it bumps way more often, and goes faster than I want it to go. All turns are red so it's cumbersome. Jam action is now range 1 only, and jam tokens go away at the end of the round (unless you also have ISB slicers), so jam is worse.

I really don't like the 2.0 reaper. :(

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

I hate the 2.0 reaper. First edition reaper was EXTREMELY my jam (lol puns), but second edition reaper feels way worse.

Medium base means it bumps way more often, and goes faster than I want it to go. All turns are red so it's cumbersome. Jam action is now range 1 only, and jam tokens go away at the end of the round (unless you also have ISB slicers), so jam is worse.

I really don't like the 2.0 reaper. :(

Fair enough. Having not played it in 1e, and enjoying the Punisher's medium base, I think I've got a very different perspective going in to it. Planning on trying both slicer crew on it, with the vanes modification, and seeing how that goes. Lets you potentially jam outside range 1 and also makes it possible to double-jam someone or hit two ships. Especially solid if it strips tokens for Vader crew and juke aces to then wreck things. In theory. Could be hot garbage, but there's only one way to find out! :black101:

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Oh yeah, the change to jam is stupid. Making it go away the same round reduces its effectiveness to only working in very specific situations (where the other ship already has a token, or you somehow are certain that doing a token action is by far their best option). Jamming cannon is now totally useless if the opponent has a higher initative than you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

uncle blog posted:

Oh yeah, the change to jam is stupid. Making it go away the same round reduces its effectiveness to only working in very specific situations (where the other ship already has a token, or you somehow are certain that doing a token action is by far their best option). Jamming cannon is now totally useless if the opponent has a higher initative than you.

Jam as it existed at the end of 1st edition was probably too strong to import over to 2nd ed. It was mitigated somewhat in first ed by all the actionless dice modification out there, but that doesn't really exist in second. It'd be really gross.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

uncle blog posted:

It just mean your jamming ship needs to have higher initiative than your other ships as it allows you to remove any green token you like, also with the utilisation of target lock changing somewhat being able to break locks is really handy. As with Tractor Beams I'm not sure I'd use one instead of simply shooting someone, but things like Freelance Slicer are not bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

uncle blog posted:

On the contrary, there are a ton of ships that can get free tokens in various ways, it's often pretty easy to know that the Jam will work fine, and if you do cause them to do a non-token action when it's not their best option, then it's succeeded.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

The white 1 hard felt really out of place for the Reaper. Made it mobile AF. Right now the best use seems to be naked I1 reaper doing a fast flanking pincer move in hope of Jams. Not very amazing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The new Reaper is so much more tolerable. The dual Reaper lists in 1.0 were npe generators

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vermeil with Vader is definitely a thing, but I need to give it a bit more practice.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Jam as it existed at the end of 1st edition was probably too strong to import over to 2nd ed. It was mitigated somewhat in first ed by all the actionless dice modification out there, but that doesn't really exist in second. It'd be really gross.
But the point about actionless dice modification is an argument for the opposite. In 1.0 it was easy to run a list with ships and upgrades that allowed them to turn focus results, reroll dice and often adding dice or dice results. The ships that instead used tokens for mods, were practically useless if jammed. In 2.0 the power level has been reduced across the entire game, both offence and defence. Dice mods are much harder to attain, so most ships rarely have more than a single mod. It's now much more common to fly ships naked, and engage with a single - or even zero - ways to modify the attack result. So while removing a focus from a ship brings its attack power down, it can still push through meaningful damage. The other part of the equation is the cost of jamming a ship. To perform a jam action, you not only need to get the jamming ship in range 1 of enemies, you also need to use your (usually) single action to do it, instead of boosting your defence and/or offence. And as most jam ships have low agility, that's super risky. The other alternative is to use one of your few high agility ships to give up its normal attack that round, and that's arguably worse. So right now I'm not convinced that jamming is worth the effort. Would love to be proven wrong, as I love the concept.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

uncle blog posted:

But the point about actionless dice modification is an argument for the opposite. In 1.0 it was easy to run a list with ships and upgrades that allowed them to turn focus results, reroll dice and often adding dice or dice results. The ships that instead used tokens for mods, were practically useless if jammed. In 2.0 the power level has been reduced across the entire game, both offence and defence. Dice mods are much harder to attain, so most ships rarely have more than a single mod. It's now much more common to fly ships naked, and engage with a single - or even zero - ways to modify the attack result. So while removing a focus from a ship brings its attack power down, it can still push through meaningful damage. The other part of the equation is the cost of jamming a ship. To perform a jam action, you not only need to get the jamming ship in range 1 of enemies, you also need to use your (usually) single action to do it, instead of boosting your defence and/or offence. And as most jam ships have low agility, that's super risky. The other alternative is to use one of your few high agility ships to give up its normal attack that round, and that's arguably worse. So right now I'm not convinced that jamming is worth the effort. Would love to be proven wrong, as I love the concept.

Well, I'm planning to do some playing with it, since my Reaper just got dropped off at my house. I think jam isn't an ability you just toss in any old list and profit, but it's also one that seems easy to build around since the debuff it gives out is to negate the generally most common abilities ships have. In addition, they're often the most used abilities. Forcing someone to do something that's not optimal is good, if the opportunity cost isn't too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

uncle blog posted:

To my mind, Jam is the answer to pilot skills that let pilots do funky things by spending tokens or target locks.