Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I've ran Queen of Gold once, and it's pretty good. Some balance issues, one of the adventures is a bit... iffy. (My group wasn't bothered by the tone normally, but dickbiting eel zombies was apparently a step too far...). It's also kind of barebones, I'd equate it to the critical path of f.ex. Skyrim, so you'll need to add some meat and connective tissue to make it flow well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Piell posted:

So I picked up In Pursuit of Power, the new magician-focused supplement, and it seems really sweet. Basically, you can swap out the general magician talents for focused version of those talents based on the traditions you have unlocked.

So, the specific text from Pursuit of Power reads: " If, for example, you have discovered Arcana and Alchemy, you could exchange the Cantrip talent for Alchemy Focus and Arcana Focus."

Maybe it's just poor wording, but my assumption HAS to be that you don't get both of those talents right? You don't rack up new talents as you discover new traditions and add them alongside your other, for example, Cantrip replacements? Can you swap them out later as you discover new traditions or are they permanent picks? Feels a bit dashed off to me, but maybe I'm being obtuse.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I also don't get why he has Spell Recovery Talents with Improved versions that can take the place of Spell Recovery or Improved Spell Recovery. I can see taking two different Recovery talents from different traditions, one replacing Spell Recovery and the other Improved Spell Recovery, but why would I ever, say, replace Spell Recovery with the Life Domain's "Improved Shared Recovery" (which, like most of them, gives one added use of the replacement Recovery ability) if I don't have Shared Recovery itself? Am I theoretically using my Improved Spell Recovery slot on Shared Recovery or is there something I'm just not grokking here?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Memnaelar posted:

So, the specific text from Pursuit of Power reads: " If, for example, you have discovered Arcana and Alchemy, you could exchange the Cantrip talent for Alchemy Focus and Arcana Focus."

Maybe it's just poor wording, but my assumption HAS to be that you don't get both of those talents right? You don't rack up new talents as you discover new traditions and add them alongside your other, for example, Cantrip replacements? Can you swap them out later as you discover new traditions or are they permanent picks? Feels a bit dashed off to me, but maybe I'm being obtuse.

According to the Google+ thread you only get one, but you can trade it out if you discover a new tradition.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey guys still working on the Dark Sun conversion. Jeffrey of YOSPOS's suggestion/link gave me a big leg up (thanks Jeff!) but there's still lots to do.

Had a few questions:

1) Does anyone have a "master list" of actions cheat sheet for the players? Like "here's what you can do with a move action" and "here's what you can do for a standard action" type stuff? Or do I need to build my own?

2) Does anyone have a quick-and-dirty 2e D&D to SotDL conversion chart? Obviously I'll need to flesh out the abilities myself, but just general HP and attack rolls would be helpful. Beyond that, just a general "this is a difficulty 1 critter, this is a 5, this is a 10" statblock would help.

Thanks all!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qwm-rNX9YEN2xzUnlsZkVXTU83eVpYNFdpdGZIYjBqdHNF/view?usp=drivesdk

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Aw man that's great. Thanks so much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Aw man that's great. Thanks so much.
Thanks! And glad to help. I threw that together before my own campaign started.

My players found it really helpful. It includes stuff from Forbidden Rules, too, FYI, like Isolating Attack.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 4, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

1) Does anyone have a "master list" of actions cheat sheet for the players? Like "here's what you can do with a move action" and "here's what you can do for a standard action" type stuff? Or do I need to build my own?

Yes, actually. The formatting isn't fantastic but it's not awful either:

https://www.docdroid.net/B8uuNxv/sotdl-cheat-sheet.docx

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Minor comment (and I'll probably use this, thanks!), but if you made this, you could replace the "5 yards" with "Short range" in the Help action to be consistent with the rest.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elysiume posted:

Minor comment (and I'll probably use this, thanks!), but if you made this, you could replace the "5 yards" with "Short range" in the Help action to be consistent with the rest.
Thanks!

I missed that one.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
It's third party, but a SotDL system conversion of The Book of Exalted Darkness came out.

Does anyone have it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is the blackstar kickstarter looking good to anybody? It looks like you get a lot of stuff, but it also looks like Pathfinder and 3x guys working on it, and that's not really my jam.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Ugh, why do some GMs feel they need to gently caress over the players at every opportunity? I just quit a discord game after the first roll of the game was a natural 1 on a perception roll, for someone just standing outside and keeping watch. The GM decided that meant he fell through the floor and damaged his axe and now does half damage.

Also, while we're at it, gently caress who ever wrote The Apple of Her Eye adventure. Who thought "the boss forces an int roll with a bane when you see it, if you fail you are charmed forever" was a good thing to have? 2/3 of the party failed the check and the GM had to greatly change the encounter to not make it impossible.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Piell posted:

Ugh, why do some GMs feel they need to gently caress over the players at every opportunity? I just quit a discord game after the first roll of the game was a natural 1 on a perception roll, for someone just standing outside and keeping watch. The GM decided that meant he fell through the floor and damaged his axe and now does half damage.

Also, while we're at it, gently caress who ever wrote The Apple of Her Eye adventure. Who thought "the boss forces an int roll with a bane when you see it, if you fail you are charmed forever" was a good thing to have? 2/3 of the party failed the check and the GM had to greatly change the encounter to not make it impossible.

That first bit is such loving bullshit. There's no crits in SotDL at all, presumably to discourage poo poo like this.

And yeah, that boss is way overtuned. I actually sent Schwalb an email about it and he said he would look into revising it at some point.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the best adventure to demo this game? My group is considering getting into it but I don't want to go too grimdark.

Serf
May 5, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

What's the best adventure to demo this game? My group is considering getting into it but I don't want to go too grimdark.

"Dark Deeds in Last Hope" is pretty low-stakes and not too dark all things considered, plus it has robust support and is clearly written to be the default intro adventure. "A Year Without Rain" is an old-fashioned dungeon crawl/monster hunt so its decent as well.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

kidkissinger posted:

I ran Dead by Dawn for my group and it went pretty well. It's contained to a single location and is pretty fun. I had my players roll a level 1 character along with a level 0 character and they survived it without too much issue (they also had great rolls on the siege events).

Piell posted:

Yeah that first bit was real questionable. Did you leave the server entirely? I honestly got overwhelmed at work while we were in setting building and haven't had much interest since (I'm midwifecrisis on Discord).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

The Changeling posted:

Yeah that first bit was real questionable. Did you leave the server entirely? I honestly got overwhelmed at work while we were in setting building and haven't had much interest since (I'm midwifecrisis on Discord).

I ranted about it and got him to pull back, but I still quit the game. I am still in the server though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Serf posted:

That first bit is such loving bullshit. There's no crits in SotDL at all, presumably to discourage poo poo like this.

Not exactly true; "if you roll 20+ and exceed the target number by 5 or more" clauses are quite common, although they're class- and spell-specific rather than a universal mechanic. No such thing as fumbles, though.

If you're talking about the same discord I'm thinking of, it's absolutely full of people who can't wait to gently caress up the mechanics of the game. I was tentatively interested in a campaign until the GM told me "oh we're using an XP system that requires progressively more encounters for each level as you advance" and I noped out immediately, and the other day a guy was telling me about how his GM doesn't use fast turn / slow turn for initiative. :cripes:

I'd really like to try this game out from the player's side for once, too.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 20, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not exactly true; "if you roll 20+ and exceed the target number by 5 or more" clauses are quite common, although they're class- and spell-specific rather than a universal mechanic. No such thing as fumbles, though.

I wouldn't classify those as crits because there are some creatures you can encounter who just can't be affected by them due to having scores so high that they are effectively immune.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Serf posted:

I wouldn't classify those as crits because there are some creatures you can encounter who just can't be affected by them due to having scores so high that they are effectively immune.

Really? The highest base defense I count in the core book is 23 (for the dragon); a roll of 28 is attainable 5% of the time for a character with 14 in their primary stat and one boon -- buffs would make it easier. What creatures are you thinking of?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Really? The highest base defense I count in the core book is 23 (for the dragon); a roll of 28 is attainable 5% of the time for a character with 14 in their primary stat and one boon -- buffs would make it easier. What creatures are you thinking of?

I could've sworn there were monsters with Defense scores as high as 28/29 in the Freeport books but I can't see any examples of it at the moment.

Either way, no such thing as crits in SotDL and definitely no such thing as fumbles and the game is better for it. Tell that GM to get hosed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're talking about the same discord I'm thinking of, it's absolutely full of people who can't wait to gently caress up the mechanics of the game. I was tentatively interested in a campaign until the GM told me "oh we're using an XP system that requires progressively more encounters for each level as you advance" and I noped out immediately, and the other day a guy was telling me about how his GM doesn't use fast turn / slow turn for initiative. :cripes:

There are effects if you roll a 0 or lower as well. If nothing else, clockworks shut down and need their key turned on a 0-. I think there are others that that are more like, the equivalent of an enemy getting a crit on their spell, but it's you doing the save, so it happens on a 0.

I think sotdl is a pretty solid choice for a lot of styles of game - I can't think of a good reason not to use it if you want grid-based tactical combat and interesting character build choices, even if you want to run a treasure-hunting game with gold for XP. I don't think it's crazy to divorce the system from the progression rules. I dunno why you'd drop fast and slow turns though, they rule.

(That discord has...problems.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 20, 2018

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, it's the (un)official discord. I think I'm gonna step out of this as well, mostly because trying to read these peoples posts... sucks.

I'd be down to run a goon SotDL game, or play in one. We could use Serf's - https://discord.gg/8MYtMyw

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I haven't looked too closely at it, but I'd be down to play.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'd be up for a game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'd be down for a game but I'd want to use voice and have sessions with all the scheduling nightmares that brings - I don't think I'm particularly compatible with play-by-post.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd be down for a game but I'd want to use voice and have sessions with all the scheduling nightmares that brings - I don't think I'm particularly compatible with play-by-post.

Same, so that's okay.

Serf also mentioned wanting to do a one-shot in the Discord, though I think all of you saw that.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If there's a chance for a newbie to play sometime, let me know - these books are just taunting me at this point.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not only that but i would say that the fact it isn't based on a natural roll of the dice disqualifies it for being a "crit" mechanic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elfgames posted:

not only that but i would say that the fact it isn't based on a natural roll of the dice disqualifies it for being a "crit" mechanic

there are games with critical hits that don't even involve dice

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sounds like the Occult Philosophy Kickstarter is coming in mid-November

https://mobile.twitter.com/playblackcandle/status/1042935548388761601?s=21

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wonder if they are going to drop those spells without anything about progression. It'd be weird if they had them with no in-game method of obtaining them outside of extra levels after 10, but it'd also be weird if they *did* have progression rules for magic-users exclusively.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wonder if they are going to drop those spells without anything about progression. It'd be weird if they had them with no in-game method of obtaining them outside of extra levels after 10, but it'd also be weird if they *did* have progression rules for magic-users exclusively.

Well even without referencing the existing 11+ advancement rules from Forbidden Rules or having players gain extra Power from non-level sources, they'd still be useful in the interim as guidelines for things NPCs can do, or as handy plot device objects/magical rewards via things like high-level scrolls. That's something you can spell out pretty quickly in an introductory side-bar.

From what they've said about (the intended, forthcoming) progression rules in the past the "bigger numbers" sort of scaling is supposed to slow down at 11+, with growth being more in terms of the scale you can affect, and characters also largely stepping back from the limelight and acting through agents (that you play). I think the Mastermind from Natural Born Scoundrels is pretty obviously related to this approach, though whether it was a trial run, a means of incorporating a concept they decided to depreciate, or something else entirely I have no idea. I think that points pretty clearly toward having 11+ play be part of its own supplement with appropriate sub-systems for running organizations and the like though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'm going to say ita a bad idea, making players fight OP enemies with OP abilities is a problem that a lot of the written adventures already have, we dont need more super broken spells.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Piell posted:

I'm going to say ita a bad idea, making players fight OP enemies with OP abilities is a problem that a lot of the written adventures already have, we dont need more super broken spells.

tbh I don't think adventures being questionably tuned has much to do with the utility of the spells in Occult Philosophy, especially since SotDL monsters aren't reliant on spells for their mechanical effects/effectiveness in the same way they are in D&D, most of the most egregious balance issues are actually in lower-level adventures, and the really strong high-level stuff (like Demon Princes) is absurd by design

having participated in some of the Occult Philosophy playtesting I can say that based on the draft materials most of the stuff isn't out of line with how SotDL works, and the high level spells tend to be far more on the "6d6 damage across a wide area"/"multiple thematically appropriate buff or environmental effects [no stronger than level 3-5 spells] with a longer duration," and "thematic plot device" side of things - they're cool powers that a player would want because being able to affect a wide-scale/attain greater efficiency/do neat narrative things is useful, and they're useful to demarcate what Power broadly means in terms of an NPC's ability to affect the world, but from the standpoint of a given heroic PC a level 8+ city-scale magical nuke isn't more personally dangerous than a level 4-5 single-target attack spell

e: I guess we'll just have to see when it's released though

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 21, 2018

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is the Monk as bad as it looks? Is there some detail about unarmed combat I've missed that makes its starting 1d3 melee damage a good thing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

-Fish- posted:

Is the Monk as bad as it looks? Is there some detail about unarmed combat I've missed that makes its starting 1d3 melee damage a good thing?

They get significant bonuses to Defense and Speed, reduced banes on multi-attack (and other melee attack options, but really, multi-attack is what you're there for) and their unarmed strikes get upgraded to 1d6 at level 2 (nm that's additive not a replacement).

I mean they still suffer from the same problem of nearly every Warrior variant -- "isn't the Spellguard" -- but they're not uniquely bad or anything.

e: also they can hand out the Stunned status condition on a 20+, which is really good because that's an entire enemy turn just gone

e2: it's also "stunned until the end of next round" which, since players act before monsters, means that with a fast turn or choosing to target enemies that didn't take a fast turn, you could deny an enemy two turns in a row

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

in fact I'm starting to think a Monk + buffbot character would be a pretty good base for a party; toss Accelerate and some accuracy-boosting buffs on the monk and they'll be CCing things left and right and then your DPS can mop up