Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Literally the only mention of healthcare on the Dems' "a better way" website is "lower the cost of prescription drugs."

And even with that it's the most bureaucratic, mealy-mouthed, do-nothing proposal they could possibly come up with:

quote:

Tough New Enforcement of Drug Price Gouging
Prescription drugs that meet a test for an unconscionable price increase will be subject to new investigative and enforcement action by a new “price gouging” enforcer. This position will be independent and confirmable by the U.S. Senate. The enforcer will be created as the Director of a new agency dedicated to stopping this outrageous behavior in its tracks. The agency will also receive its own funding stream to preserve its independence from political influence.

The enforcer will be charged with investigating drug manufacturers and protecting patients and taxpayers from egregious prescription drug price increases. The agency will identify drugs that have unconscionable price increases and impose fines on the manufacturer that are proportional to the size of the price hike, reinvesting the money from the fines into new cures research and development at the National Institutes of Health. This new enforcement mechanism, which does not exist today, will deter abusive drug price increases.

Allowing Medicare Part D to Negotiate Drug Prices
Even though it is one of the largest drug purchasers in the country, Medicare is restricted from negotiating with drug manufacturers over the price of drugs in the Medicare Part D prescription drug program. Other government programs do not face such restrictions and have used their bargaining power to secure reduced drug prices that save their enrollees billions of dollars.

The Better Deal program eliminates this restriction on Medicare, and empowers the government to leverage the bargaining power of the 41 million Americans enrolled in Medicare Part D and fight for the best possible deal on drug prices.

Transparency of Excessive Drug Price Increases
Drugs with a significant price increase will also be required to submit to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) a justification for the price increase at least 30 days before the price increase takes effect. A drug with a significant price increase would be defined as:

A drug that is at least $10 and had a price increase of at least 300 percent over five years or 100 percent over one year; or
A drug that represents the top 50th percentile of drug spending in Medicare or Medicaid and had a price increase of at least 50 percent over five years or 15 percent over one year.

The justification would include individual factors that contributed to the price increase, as well as other factors that could include the percent of total expenditures on research and development derived from federal funds and the total cost of marketing and advertising the specific drug. This information would be made public in order to hold drug manufacturers accountable for any unjustifiable price increases. Drug manufacturers could avoid submitting this information if they lower the price of the drug.

Keep in mind that the soonest such legislation could be passed and signed into law would be 2021, so that 5-year retrospective pricing would only be good for increases made after 2017. And even then the Dems' proposals for drug-price restrictions would be susceptible to lobbying and subsequent GOP fuckery.

They even provide the excuses that pharma can use to "justify" its price-gouging. And what is the consequence to pharma company if its excuses aren't accepted by The Dept. of Sorta-Kinda Doing Something Maybe? Public shaming, lol.

Compare this to "reimport drugs from Canada" or "pay what other countries pay for prescription drugs" or "get rid of PBC/insurer contracts that offer kickbacks" or "regulate pharma as a public utility."

eta: Whenever the Dems tout that they're gonna be "tough" on an industry that industry takes a huge sigh of relief.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any gains the Democrats make will be lost in 2022 and when it happens their ardent defenders won't see it coming.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We are offering Better Ingredients AND Better Pizza

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

We are offering Better Ingredients AND Better Pizza

lmao I really appreciated this

I went to a college Dem meeting for the first time in awhile and we had a local rep there to speak. He was an old guy that was a teacher for 37 years. He was nice and wanted better funding for teachers but was also hard on the “civility is important we all just need to be nice.”

I asked him about the fact that Republicans in my home town are trying to resegregate the school district and at what point we call Republicans vile and he argued that they vote the way leadership demands and not how they want and that you can convince them blah blah and I was unsatisfied.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
"drat you whitey!" I yell at my family before explaining to the desi who works at her dads company that crackers invented clannish nepotism while we laugh at pictures of her ugly pity hire cousin.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Although he inevitably kicks me off his property for being 12 hours late with rent and steals my deposit because landlords are crooked assholes, I nobly look the Nigerian doctor from a wealthy family in the eyes, take his hand, and say "Don't worry, it'll be ok: I'm an ally"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
weird posts

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
main stream trump thread zeitgeist steadfastly focusing on idpol in exclusion to any class reality is gonna drive some strange frictions to people

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grognan posted:

main stream trump thread zeitgeist steadfastly focusing on idpol in exclusion to any class reality is gonna drive some strange frictions to people

these containment zones are going to be forced open next year no matter what clamps they wanna put.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The treatment for brain worms has entered distribution. Soon, you will be free of the disease called HOPE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wny4UptyceU

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 20, 2018

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It just occurred to me that someone used the word problematic to downplay Gabbard's support for a holocaust.

...I've never seen C-Spam before now, and I think Mantis ran with my bit.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1042569004169265152

Uh, so can we start a change.org petition or whatever to get Prester Jane's probation commuted? I'm pretty sure she's eaten enough 6'rs for telling the Trump thread that ICE are literal Nazis to add up to 30 days and this isn't even subtle at this point.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1042228262490046464

It is possible, unbelievable that it seems, to hold these two thoughts in one's head at the same time:

1. Hillary was a bad candidate and the Democrat Primaries were gamed by the DNC.
2. The Trump campaign was aided by the Russians and Trump is beholden to them financially.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

We live in a country where our ruling class never has to take responsibility or bears any consequences no matter how badly and publicly they gently caress up and a server making less than minimum wage will lose their job at Olive Garden if some asshat customer rates their experience as less than 5 stars.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VideoGameVet posted:

It is possible, unbelievable that it seems, to hold these two thoughts in one's head at the same time:

1. Hillary was a bad candidate and the Democrat Primaries were gamed by the DNC.
2. The Trump campaign was aided by the Russians and Trump is beholden to them financially.

As long as they are in that order with one of those elipeses in between them implying other items not listed.

quote:

X. The Trump campaign was aided by the Russians and Trump is beholden to them financially.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1042703674034798592

Vox thinks very little of its readers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grognan posted:

It is because most of them make a lot of money.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

It is because most of them make a lot of money.

Do you have evidence of this, or do you just like to smear people you disagree with as the wealthy because it makes you feel superior?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do you have evidence of this, or do you just like to smear people you disagree with as the wealthy because it makes you feel superior?

sometimes people post outside the politics subforum about the poo poo they have and sometimes reflect on how much they save on new tax bills so yes

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Boy that nerve got hit quick.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Where is the death by guillotine .gif when you need it?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Grognan posted:

sometimes people post outside the politics subforum about the poo poo they have and sometimes reflect on how much they save on new tax bills so yes

That sounds like fun. Care to share a couple of examples? I think I remember a story like that about the infamous Arzy.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yes, my overwhelming wealth of *checks bank account* $63 dollars weighs heavy on my conscience. gently caress off.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, my overwhelming wealth of *checks bank account* $63 dollars weighs heavy on my conscience. gently caress off.
If you aren't rich then your postting is way sadder. There is help brother, you don't have to be like you do.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you aren't rich then your postting is way sadder. There is help brother, you don't have to be like you do.

I am extremely wealthy from a global perspective. I'm not poor now, but I grew up poor and appreciate everything I have. My family doesn't want for food or basic needs (except health care :suicide:) and I have a job that takes care of me as a person not just providing a pay check. I am extremely lucky and will never doubt that for one second.

I don't really care how you find my "postting"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

VideoGameVet posted:

It's also possible to recognize that point 1 was vastly more significant than point 2 and that the reason point 2 gets so much more attention and airtime is precisely to make people ignore point 1. It's literally right there in the book 'Shattered' - within hours of Clinton's election loss her top aids had already been instructed to start making the case that they only lost because of Russia.

Nothing that has been uncovered about the Trump campaign makes its alleged connections with Russia seem half as sinister as the influence enjoyed by Saudi Arabia or especially Israel. Even if Trump is indebted to dirty Russian banks or has some back channel dealings with Russian oligarchs it hasn't stopped his administration from taking many anti-Russian stances such as selling anti-tank weapons to Ukraine that even the Obama administration refused to hand over precisely because it would antagonize Russia too much.

I mean just look at the full interview with Clinton there. She's so delusional she seems to genuinely believe that Russian social media manipulation has more responsibility for turning Americans against Obamacare than the sky high deductibles or laughably inadequate coverage you get under those mandatory-to-purchase handouts to the insurance industry plans. The fact Clinton either genuinely believes that or at least thinks its a clever position to state publicly is a far greater crisis for the health of American polity than any alleged Russian plots.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 20, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

A better way to put it would be that they are really blatantly "comfortable". Not necessarily wealthy in all cases, but doing well in such a way that their priorities are not vulnerable peoples priorities.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am extremely wealthy from a global perspective. I'm not poor now, but I grew up poor and appreciate everything I have. My family doesn't want for food or basic needs (except health care :suicide:) and I have a job that takes care of me as a person not just providing a pay check. I am extremely lucky and will never doubt that for one second.

I don't really care how you find my "postting"
That was a real quick turnaround from "I have $63 to my name" to "I'm the 1% you prole scum"

We do care about you dawg. Join the fight and you won't be guillotined*

*Guarantee valid only until the inevitable post-revolutionary purges begin.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Heck Yes Loam you seem like a well intentioned guy so maybe take a moment to ask how, as a working class person, you ended up at a point where you have to hand wring and agonize over whether it's wrong to have literal slaves being deployed into highly dangerous occupations (while simultaneously taking away decent paying jobs from actual professionals):

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I wanted to respond to this issue as it is something I actually know something about.

My brother in law is a fire captain in california. he manages teams that consist of volunteers, career firemen, and prisoners. He is a pretty non political guy, so he doesn't subscribe to republican or democrat ideologies at all. He just wants to live in the mountains and be one with nature. His opinion of the use of prison labor for firefighting is very mixed. on one hand he would rather those jobs go to career men and women, and have them get paid well. The problem is that firefighters don't get paid well enough, the risk is really high, and the state doesn't ever increase their budgets despite the severe increase in fires year over year. Without the prisoner labor, the west would burn far worse than it did this summer. Most of the prisoners that get to work fire detail are not high risk people. most are in for drug crimes, theft, or other non violent acts. The program is not mandatory and every prisoner wants to be there. Ultimately it is not a simple "all prison labor is bad" as a good number of those people have a place to go work after they get out. and, as it turns out it is the number one way firefighters in some areas get new recruits. so your point about ex cons not getting hired is not exactly true.

I don't think it is a good system, and I would rather the budgets for fire departments were tripled or quadrupled in order to high non prisoners, but don't dismiss the value of such a program if it is managed properly. The potential for abuse in prison labor is really high, but it doesnt mean there arent good prison labor jobs out there that actual prisoners would rather do than not. Ideally we wipe out the prisoner population by ending drug crime laws, and make it so critical state jobs are filled by career people who get paid a solid wage. Until then, don't act like all prison labor is slavery.

(I guess it's OK: after all these non-violent offenders prefer the active risk of burning alive or choking to the unfathomable hell that is the regular prison system, so you can't say they didn't have a choice).

Not trying to get all vindictive or Hell Dumpy here but for fucks sake dude get some class consciousness. Do you really need to have it beaten back into your head every week that mainstream Democratic party liberalism is actively antagonistic to your wellbeing?

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I have a job that takes care of me as a person not just providing a pay check.

:shuckyes:
It's like a WorryFree add from Sorry To Bother You

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

donald trump wins the election without any russian interference so the harping on that as being what cost the dems the presidency is tiring. don't get me wrong - that doesn't absolve putin or trump and his spawnlings of wrongdoing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

A better way to put it would be that they are really blatantly "comfortable". Not necessarily wealthy in all cases, but doing well in such a way that their priorities are not vulnerable peoples priorities.

What is considered comfortable these days?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That was a real quick turnaround from "I have $63 to my name" to "I'm the 1% you prole scum"

We do care about you dawg. Join the fight and you won't be guillotined*

I try to remember that I am in a better situation than many many other people, and I cannot complain downwards about my situation. When I was growing up I very regularly had people complain near or at me about their situation, when i would go home to a house with no food or power. it did not leave a good memory of those people.

quote:

*Guarantee valid only until the inevitable post-revolutionary purges begin.
Robespierre really should have read the fine print

Helsing posted:

Heck Yes Loam you seem like a well intentioned guy so maybe take a moment to ask how, as a working class person, you ended up at a point where you have to hand wring and agonize over whether it's wrong to have literal slaves being deployed into highly dangerous occupations (while simultaneously taking away decent paying jobs from actual professionals):

(I guess it's OK: after all these non-violent offenders prefer the active risk of burning alive or choking to the unfathomable hell that is the regular prison system, so you can't say they didn't have a choice).

Not trying to get all vindictive or Hell Dumpy here but for fucks sake dude get some class consciousness. Do you really need to have it beaten back into your head every week that mainstream Democratic party liberalism is actively antagonistic to your wellbeing?

I'm pretty aware that mainstream liberalism is not my ally, thank you. regarding the prison labor, it's pretty clear I would prefer it didn't exist, and that those jobs were better compensated. I am not sure why you took that as hand wringing.

Iron Twinkie posted:

:shuckyes:
It's like a WorryFree add from Sorry To Bother You

It's not a small thing at all. A job that takes care of you as an individual is extremely hard to find these days. I wish it was a default, but :capitalism:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am extremely wealthy from a global perspective

No you aren't. Having negative wealth is negative wealth regardless of how big the numbers are coming in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A job that takes care of you as an individual is extremely hard to find these days.

If your job leaves you with $63 to your name, I don't think you have the kind of job you think you have.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No you aren't. Having negative wealth is negative wealth regardless of how big the numbers are coming in.

No my man. Having grown up without certain things, and knowing that there are literal children in cages right now. No. I may have negative wealth, but compared to places and things I have seen first hand, I am very wealthy. Just because some fucker makes 1000X more than what I do doesn't change that. The issue is that fucker with the 1000X more wealth, not that I appreciate what I have in life.

WampaLord posted:

If your job leaves you with $63 to your name, I don't think you have the kind of job you think you have.

You could think that, but you would need quite a bit more info to actually make an accurate guess without being a prick.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm pretty aware that mainstream liberalism is not my ally, thank you. regarding the prison labor, it's pretty clear I would prefer it didn't exist, and that those jobs were better compensated. I am not sure why you took that as hand wringing.

You say this but you only seem to pop into discussions when there's some opportunity to say "but how do you actually know that people who hate any kind of economic redistribution are acting out of material interest?"

Also I called it hand-wringing because if you took your liberal ideological blinkers off for a second I feel like you'd be much more likely to say "Oh my god this is literally dystopic how the gently caress can you ask non-violent people to choose between the hell of American prison or massive risk of fighting forest fires?" but instead you made some kind of weird "Aw jeez it's just so complicated I mean it saves a lot of money and obviously in an ideal world we wouldn't do it but come on guys its like soooo complicated and I know a firefighter and he says its a tricky situation and blah blah blah let me just talk circles around this self evident moral atrocity instead of just admitting it's 100% unacceptable and straight up evil"

You literally said that "they're not slaves" and and then added "don't dismiss the value of such a program if it is managed properly". Which is kind of like saying that Harvey Weinstein's victims voluntarily had sex with him because they preferred that to the alternative of being blacklisted from ever working again. The fact someone chose one horrible situation over another horrible situation doesn't magically make coerced involuntary labour something other than slavery.

I think I'm jumping on this in part because it seems like this reflexive equivocation over self evidently horrible things is some kind of modern liberal reflex. Like, the world just has be to complicated, moral clarity somehow makes you an unsophisticated bumpkin who doesn't understand how politics works. And its seemingly the same mental tick that compels you to constantly give affluent liberals the benefit of the doubt again and again even though we have plenty of examples of how they like to run the government (California, New York, Chicago) and shocker, every single time they actually have a secure hold on power they use it to gently caress the working class just like the Republicans - they can't help it, it's dictated by their material interests. Yes, I know that is an unsatisfying reductive and simplistic summary of American politics but unfortunately it's also inescapably true.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You could think that, but you would need quite a bit more info to actually make an accurate guess without being a prick.

Not everything is an attack on you, I'm not trying to be a prick.

What exactly about your job makes you think they value you as an individual?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Helsing posted:

You say this but you only seem to pop into discussions when there's some opportunity to say "but how do you actually know that people who hate any kind of economic redistribution are acting out of material interest?"

Also I called it hand-wringing because if you took your liberal ideological blinkers off for a second I feel like you'd be much more likely to say "Oh my god this is literally dystopic how the gently caress can you ask non-violent people to choose between the hell of American prison or massive risk of fighting forest fires?" but instead you made some kind of weird "Aw jeez it's just so complicated I mean it saves a lot of money and obviously in an ideal world we wouldn't do it but come on guys its like soooo complicated and I know a firefighter and he says its a tricky situation and blah blah blah let me just talk circles around this self evident moral atrocity instead of just admitting it's 100% unacceptable and straight up evil"

You literally said that "they're not slaves" and and then added "don't dismiss the value of such a program if it is managed properly". Which is kind of like saying that Harvey Weinstein's victims voluntarily had sex with him because they preferred that to the alternative of being blacklisted from ever working again. The fact someone chose one horrible situation over another horrible situation doesn't magically make coerced involuntary labour something other than slavery.

Isn't the bolded part just accepted as fact? it's like stating that water is wet. We life in a loving dystopia, and it's been that way for my entire life.

For when I choose to post about this kind of stuff in general, it is mostly that i am attempting to understand the perspective, and why it is as adversarial in general to something I don't perceive.

In regards to the rest, I was wrong, period. It is impossible for something to be "well managed" in the current system we occupy. I think that prisoners who want to work should be able to do so in some way, but exploitation is not acceptable.

Helsing posted:

I think I'm jumping on this in part because it seems like this reflexive equivocation over self evidently horrible things is some kind of modern liberal reflex. Like, the world just has be to complicated, moral clarity somehow makes you an unsophisticated bumpkin who doesn't understand how politics works. And its seemingly the same mental tick that compels you to constantly give affluent liberals the benefit of the doubt again and again even though we have plenty of examples of how they like to run the government (California, New York, Chicago) and shocker, every single time they actually have a secure hold on power they use it to gently caress the working class just like the Republicans - they can't help it, it's dictated by their material interests. Yes, I know that is an unsatisfying reductive and simplistic summary of American politics but unfortunately it's also inescapably true.

I think there was truth to this, but that mask has slipped for many. In the middle of the Obama years, I think this was accurate of where I was.

WampaLord posted:

What exactly about your job makes you think they value you as an individual?

My experience, and the actions they have taken to support myself and my family. I've had unlimited time off to handle family medical problems, I can work my schedule as I see fit, I make a living wage to enjoy a good life with my family. I don't blame my job for the healthcare industry being lovely as well. they provide excellent coverage, and have even assisted me with medical bills for surgery when I couldn't front it myself. I can't think of many employers that would go to those lengths. I've worked for this company for less than two years, but they brought me to them, and helped me set up a life here. The owner of my company is ironically a republican.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Countdown until the HY!L "okay you were right again, but let me explain why being wrong about this doesn't mean I have to change my mind about anything else" post.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Countdown until the HY!L "okay you were right again, but let me explain why being wrong about this doesn't mean I have to change my mind about anything else" post.

There's nothing to be wrong about, I don't get the adversarial "those posters must be rich :smug:" posts. I'd love to see the examples and make fun of them if you have them, but to me it just seemed petty.

Also , I'm laughing at the idea that admitting you were wrong is somehow a flaw.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes - a while back when the Trump tax cut was passed that thread suddenly filled with countless posts indirectly revealing that the poster made a poo poo ton of money. There are also several recognizable posters who have explicitly mentioned making a lot of money or having millionaire family (specifically naming the posters in this context is kinda weird so I'm not going to do that).

There is something very specific to "younger liberals who have a strong feeling of distaste towards the radical left" that makes them uncannily likely to be well off. This type of person isn't really common in the US as a whole, but they seem to be overrepresented on SA/D&D (likely due to it being heavily skewed towards white people who grew up in relatively well off or middle class households).

• Locked thread