Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

try backpedaling around the sun fast enough to travel back in time and not say that dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

foshmitch

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

try backpedaling around the sun fast enough to travel back in time and not say that dumb poo poo

dunno why your giving advice to sagebrush without quoting him

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fishmech, Fishmech
Roly-Poly Fishmech
Fishmech, Fishmech
This argument's dumb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should really get this attitude checked out by a therapist, fishy. Being wrong sometimes is part of being human, and if you can only respond to it with increasingly irrational stubborn denialism, you're going to have a lot of trouble reacting healthily to a lot of life

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

You should really get this attitude checked out by a therapist, fishy. Being wrong sometimes is part of being human, and if you can only respond to it with increasingly irrational stubborn denialism, you're going to have a lot of trouble reacting healthily to a lot of life

uh i think you'll find that your original post used the word "gps" loosely to mean "guidance system" and even though it was obvious what you were talking about and you've clarified it several times by now none of that counts because shut up i win

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Man I wish I could just found a bunch of vaporware companies with a skeleton staff dedicated to looking at technologies that exist and just saying "we'll add internet and smooth white plastics to it" and getting awarded billions in VC and public money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's stopping you?

but don't forget about blockchain

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
shut up nerds

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
*yosposters replying earnestly to an rear end in a top hat that has never enjoyed anything except disingenuous arguments*

"why are you so dumb?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

the failure mode sagebrush described is entirely loving plausible, the only thing on his anecdote that made me cock an eyebrow is that I’m not aware of a resort of the type he described in the area he described, which again im familiar with for professional reasons

I asked my friend and they're at 74 degrees north.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

*yosposters replying earnestly to an rear end in a top hat that has never enjoyed anything except disingenuous arguments*

"why are you so dumb?"

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"why are you so dumb?"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
a cool tartar sauce on a fresh hot piece of fried fish is really good

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Oh good. We had a pointless derail about gps and now we can get back to the scheduled derail about fast food. when do go through trains?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

refleks posted:

Oh good. We had a pointless derail about gps and now we can get back to the scheduled derail about fast food. when do go through trains?

u mad ?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if a train loaded with filets-o-fish goes over the north pole, will the gps screw up and send it off course

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

refleks posted:

germany made a dumb pointless train that has no reason to exist

graph posted:

u mad ?

very

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Fishmech, the "Technically correct, the best kind of correct" meme made flesh.

it's a good thing that "shut up fishmech you pedantic oval office" is gender-neutral

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

facebook:these are the kinds of nazis we like

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

graph posted:

shut up nerds

turn on ur monitor

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
if the error message from that forum post is treated as real, this is a completely believable failure mode for a system that uses GPS for position and an magnetic compass (with no correction but for self-determined bias) for direction

1. system gets a GPS fix and a compass direction, starts moving in the direction of its target
2. system gets a new GPS fix and uses that to update its estimate of its own position (moving kind of in the wrong direction?) and its compass bias (clearly off because we're going in the wrong direction as measured by GPS)
repeat step 2 a bunch of times until
3. system's estimated compass bias goes too high, system assumes that it is busted and decides to stop flying

fishmech is technically correct that GPS is not the cause of the problem (the best kind of correct)

my lovely way to fix it: use the GPS fix as input to (probably truncated) IGRF to figure out what your local compass deflection is

e: even mentioning IGRF is probably stupid overkill, a filter that computes bias + an extremely low resolution deflection map will probably suit those needs

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 20, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gently caress these morons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

it's going to not pollute the environment in places where rail isn't electrified yet? how is that dumb pointless?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

it does but only within the context of this very dumb country.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

what's the difference between white supremacist and white nationalist? area of effect?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

that must mean hydrogen cars are right around the corner. checkmate climate change

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Truga posted:

what's the difference between white supremacist and white nationalist? area of effect?

one is allowed on facebook.

the other is your poasts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Truga posted:

it's going to not pollute the environment in places where rail isn't electrified yet? how is that dumb pointless?

because the correct solution is to just electrify the rail properly instead of building an entire hydrogen fuel cycle system from scratch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Shaggar M'aine wgah'nagl bike'lane

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Truga posted:

Well, see, a white supremacist believes that white people are better than other races, while a white nationalist simply believes that white people should get their own country separate from other races, for reasons unrelated to racial supremacy such as

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

u mad ?

point of order: he mad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

one is one side of a meaningless arbitary distinction meant to allow facebook to pretend it's addressing its serious issues with hate speech, and the other is the other side of a meaningless arbitary distinction meant to allow facebook to pretend it's addressing its serious issues with hate speech

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

some fuckwit is delaying our provincial electrification plans here based on some similar bullshit.

we know how to build catenary systems. we can build them today. if we started building them when the electrification was proposed, we'd be loving done by now. we do not need to invent a new train and build an entire fueling system from scratch ten years from now to make this thing work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder how much money Facebook would lose if they actually banned all the racists

You know that they've done the calculation and that number exists in a report somewhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but then who would use facebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder how much money Facebook would lose if they actually banned all the racists

You know that they've done the calculation and that number exists in a report somewhere

yeah and it's a large enough number that they've put up with years of continuous bad PR over it