Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Zereth posted:

Maybe if you restrict yourself to vampires with names that he kills?

Even those are iffy, since Virstania survives later in the canon. At the same time, we can't quite write Redemption off completely, as Christof makes an appearance in the clan novels. My current thinking is to record the events in the Timeline and any characters who don't appear elsewhere, while ignoring the nameless hordes of, for instance, the ~36 Tremere slaughtered in Prague in 1171.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, if Jeanette is from Milwaukee, then probably that answers how she learned enough thaumaturgy to make that blood guardian. Probably learned it from Carna

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

Even those are iffy, since Virstania survives later in the canon. At the same time, we can't quite write Redemption off completely, as Christof makes an appearance in the clan novels. My current thinking is to record the events in the Timeline and any characters who don't appear elsewhere, while ignoring the nameless hordes of, for instance, the ~36 Tremere slaughtered in Prague in 1171.

I imagine the thing with the Cappadocians is a right nightmare with your set up.

And don't worry, you'll be killing a LOT more tremere.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Cappadocians generally are, yeah, though we know that nearly every last one was exterminated between 1444 and 1680, with a handful of exceptions other than the Harbingers and Premascine. It's enough for me to flag them as probably dead between those dates for the purpose of the project.

As for Tremere, I know. I've hit London now and given the available population numbers for 1171 I'm reasonably certain that a complete murder playthrough like I'm doing would more or less have wiped out the entire clan!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Did you manage to bring the drakula sword forward in time with you for even more lore shenanigans?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Loomer posted:

Cappadocians generally are, yeah, though we know that nearly every last one was exterminated between 1444 and 1680, with a handful of exceptions other than the Harbingers and Premascine. It's enough for me to flag them as probably dead between those dates for the purpose of the project.

As for Tremere, I know. I've hit London now and given the available population numbers for 1171 I'm reasonably certain that a complete murder playthrough like I'm doing would more or less have wiped out the entire clan!

TBF I don't think there's anything but "complete murder playthroughs" in VtMR.

God, I miss that dumb game. It's what got me into VtM in the first place, I spent an absurd amount of hours playing the multiplayer, using tabletop mechanics on top of that.

Kurieg posted:

Did you manage to bring the drakula sword forward in time with you for even more lore shenanigans?

Does that sword exist in canon? I feel like there's a lot of little things in that game that are actually tied into the lore that I wasn't aware of back then.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The Ainkurn? Yeah to both. Ainkurn debuted in Transylvania Chronicles III as the sister of Dracula's sword. Christof is still wielding it in canon too, I believe, since the version of him that pops up in the Clan Saga fights with a broadsword and canonically Ainkurn and the Sword of Dracula are just that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

the Ainkurn is pretty ridiculous too, even if you have Chris built as more of a mage or ranged character you can just put it on one of the melee dudes instead. Just has to be in his inventory when you finish Prague/Venice.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's too much fun to rampage with it, too. "gently caress your guns, I have a magic sword and celerity!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Christoff is in Beckett's Jyhad Diary, also, and still has the same sword.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Demon/Mage works, but you need to emphasize things like "Demons don't trust Agencies, for good reason', "Agencies aren't charities", "Demons are perfect liars who live multiple false lives" "renegades are transactional because favors owed are basically the best way they have of telling who gives a gently caress.", "loyalists don't all snitch perfectly forever", "the God-Machine has bigger things to deal with than you" and "the God Machine is weird, not perfect"

Or

"Mages slowly become myopic to anything that doesn't fit into their models", "Atlantis is a matter of Praxis more than a thing that happened", "Shadow Names are, as much a rejection of the Lie as they are a tool to aid compartmentalization", "Seers are not Banishers", "Seers will occasionally insert themselves into your Cabal symbolism in an antagonistic role." and also "Obsessions include things like 'sleep' 'loyalty', 'identity' 'timekeeping methods/devices', and 'command and control systems'"

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Loomer posted:

The Ainkurn? Yeah to both. Ainkurn debuted in Transylvania Chronicles III as the sister of Dracula's sword. Christof is still wielding it in canon too, I believe, since the version of him that pops up in the Clan Saga fights with a broadsword and canonically Ainkurn and the Sword of Dracula are just that.

How clear is it that it's actually the same type of blade? Because in general parlance "broadsword" can mean pretty much anything that isn't a rapier.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

In non Swordcula news.

Tobias Sjogren just announced that he's leaving nuWolf as of tomorrow, so, you know. There goes the one person who can keep Swedracula in check.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Loomer posted:

I do remember him having a broadsword in Clan Novel Brujah, that's pretty interesting.

Rand Brittain posted:

Christoff is in Beckett's Jyhad Diary, also, and still has the same sword.

I just started this, I'll keep an eye out!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Terrorforge posted:

How clear is it that it's actually the same type of blade? Because in general parlance "broadsword" can mean pretty much anything that isn't a rapier.

Not explicit, but I think it's very much meant to be.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

In non Swordcula news.

Tobias Sjogren just announced that he's leaving nuWolf as of tomorrow, so, you know. There goes the one person who can keep Swedracula in check.

Matthew Dawkins apparently quit too recently, and Sjogren's tweet is...well, it's raising some of my alarm bells.

https://twitter.com/tobiassjogren/status/1042777267657687040

"Due to differences in opinions on how to organise the management of White Wolf going forward" and "it has been agreed I will leave" sure as gently caress make it sound like this is through clenched teeth. The CEO doesn't leave for "differences of opinion" when it comes to running their own company without some wack poo poo going on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, i mean it is Bizarro White Wolf. It's only fair that in the alternate universe Not!Rein*Hagen's insanity drives everyone else away rather than him being fired.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Kurieg posted:

Well, i mean it is Bizarro White Wolf. It's only fair that in the alternate universe Not!Rein*Hagen's insanity drives everyone else away rather than him being fired.

It's the evening of September 21st. Tobias Sjögren is standing in the pouring rain, cradling a final handful of office knick-knacks. He knows he should shouldn't turn back, but can't help but steal one last look at the company that abandoned him.

Martin is staring at him from the window with wry smile. Behind him, barely visible, is one of the early posters.

But the logo is wrong. It has become a jagged, uneven thing, draped in stylized barbs and covered in dripping blood. It's practically unreadable, but Tobias doesn't have to read to understand what it says:

BLACK DOG

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Daeren posted:

Matthew Dawkins apparently quit too recently, and Sjogren's tweet is...well, it's raising some of my alarm bells.

https://twitter.com/tobiassjogren/status/1042777267657687040

"Due to differences in opinions on how to organise the management of White Wolf going forward" and "it has been agreed I will leave" sure as gently caress make it sound like this is through clenched teeth. The CEO doesn't leave for "differences of opinion" when it comes to running their own company without some wack poo poo going on.

Where do you see anything about Dawkins leaving? His twitter bio is still: "Freelance Writer and Developer, currently working extensively for Onyx Path Publishing, White Wolf Entertainment, and Green Ronin Publishing."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

The Changeling posted:

Where do you see anything about Dawkins leaving? His twitter bio is still: "Freelance Writer and Developer, currently working extensively for Onyx Path Publishing, White Wolf Entertainment, and Green Ronin Publishing."

A chat I'm in mentioned he had and showed a thing on his Facebook saying he'd left White Wolf, as well as mentioning his bio changed to Former or something. Admittedly secondhand information, I'm afraid, I might be wrong :shrug:

I still think the wording of Sjogren's tweet is noteworthy.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Daeren posted:

A chat I'm in mentioned he had and showed a thing on his Facebook saying he'd left White Wolf, as well as mentioning his bio changed to Former or something. Admittedly secondhand information, I'm afraid, I might be wrong :shrug:

I still think the wording of Sjogren's tweet is noteworthy.

Ohh, yep, his Facebook shows that on August 29th, though he's still listed as "In-House Developer" for OPP, which is good.

Man, if V5 wasn't already rocky enough...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wasn't Dawkins their community manager?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"How management should be organized" makes it sound like he tried to fire somebody and stirred up a hornet's nest.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I'm guessing they didn't sell the billions of copies they were expecting to, and entertainment companies didn't break out of the woodwork to give them movie and tv deals. Still it's sad to see people who are fans and got a chance to become more than that be tossed aside after the first book release, though who knows how or why it actually happened (though I'd probably lean towards 'White Wolf was being assholes' instinctively as a reason for anything at this point).

But White Wolf doesn't have anything else coming out, does it? Aren't they just third partying everything until Werewolf v5?

How have sales been, does anyone know? My LGS had two copies but no one seemed particularly interested.

nofather fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 20, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Redemption is a loose Diablo-like with random encounters, right? So there's no way you wouldn't be killing more vampires than should exist in Europe or possibly the world.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Redemption is a loose Diablo-like with random encounters, right? So there's no way you wouldn't be killing more vampires than should exist in Europe or possibly the world.

No random encounters. It's all pre-built scenarios, and despite some very spare social mechanics it's mostly a murder simulator.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

No random encounters.

There is however some dodgy scripting that will sometimes cause encounters to not spawn. This is particularly noticeable with the dumpster werewolf outside the tower of london.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Kurieg posted:

There is however some dodgy scripting that will sometimes cause encounters to not spawn. This is particularly noticeable with the dumpster werewolf outside the tower of london.

Pretty sure you can accidentally sequence break with Walk the Abyss as well.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

The Changeling posted:

Ohh, yep, his Facebook shows that on August 29th, though he's still listed as "In-House Developer" for OPP, which is good.

Man, if V5 wasn't already rocky enough...

Dawkins addressed this on Facebook. He had a contract, the contract ended, and he'd found other work before their offer to re-up came in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some might have noticed the WoD sale going on at the Storyrellers' Vault, and it was announced there's going to be a CoD sale when the WoD sale ends. Those Requiem Clanbooks are coming home.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Some might have noticed the WoD sale going on at the Storyrellers' Vault, and it was announced there's going to be a CoD sale when the WoD sale ends. Those Requiem Clanbooks are coming home.

Nice. I feel lucky that my local Half Price Books seems to be a waypoint for WoD books. I picked up all the Requiem clanbooks and the Lancea book I was missing for dirt cheap there. Also copy number 5 of the Book of Nod.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Halloween Jack posted:

No randoms but yes, a lot of combat emphasis. Bloodlines handled the same emphasis by using mortal or ghoul enemies for the most part, outside of a few areas, but Redemption just gets all aboard the annihilation train instead. In one single dungeon you kill 92 vampires, for instance, while the closest equivalent in Bloodlines was around 36 at Hollowbrook. I say around because Hollowbrook has a couple of irregularities with phantom enemies that complicate a definitive count. Dividing the Redemption figure by 10 might work, but at that point I'm playing with the numbers to get a desired result too much so I don't really want to.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Whoa, there're a lot more templates up on Storytellers Vault. Uncompressed, all this stuff is about 34GB, but I suspect you could get it down to about 20GB removing only redundancies within each given product, not even caring about redundancies across products. The MtA Tarot file is the worst, since it basically contains a duplicate of itself. If anyone actually bothered testing or even paying a little attention they would've realized you can't decompress everything in the product without getting an overwrite warning. loving shameful.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MoonKnight posted:

Nice. I feel lucky that my local Half Price Books seems to be a waypoint for WoD books. I picked up all the Requiem clanbooks and the Lancea book I was missing for dirt cheap there. Also copy number 5 of the Book of Nod.
My local Half Price must've started googling poo poo before posting prices, because I went from picking up the DtF Player's Guide for actual half-price, to passing on a bunch of Wraith books at 10 or 20 bucks above cover.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Being a vampire means that you're immune to bacon grease splashing up at you while you cook.
But it also means that you can no longer eat bacon.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Unless you have the Eat Food merit, in which case you can eat all the bacon you would ever want without a heart attack, at the low low cost of having to throw it back up before it rots. One of my PCs used to go eat the biggest burger at a greasy spoon regularly, both as a whole 'oh, he can't be a vampire, he's eating... a lot of food, actually, wow, he must be stoned, that'd explain the red eyes' masquerade cover and because it pissed off other vampires who couldn't even have a single chip without, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebwx4SXiiPQ

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Or Blush of Life and then see how much bacon you can scarf down in 'one scene'.

Incidentally I just burned myself cooking bacon and thought 'goddammit, if only I was an undead monstrosity then I wouldn't have to deal with this poo poo'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That burn's Agg damage, that's half a mortal and a night's rest right there.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Bacon grease is not fire.
I mean, you probably don't want a vampire fry cook because he's going to shriek like a banshee and go careening off into the night if there ever IS a grease fire, but the little 'ow' spats of hot grease that are more painful than damaging aren't going to deal agg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

No randoms but yes, a lot of combat emphasis. Bloodlines handled the same emphasis by using mortal or ghoul enemies for the most part, outside of a few areas, but Redemption just gets all aboard the annihilation train instead. In one single dungeon you kill 92 vampires, for instance, while the closest equivalent in Bloodlines was around 36 at Hollowbrook. I say around because Hollowbrook has a couple of irregularities with phantom enemies that complicate a definitive count. Dividing the Redemption figure by 10 might work, but at that point I'm playing with the numbers to get a desired result too much so I don't really want to.

Is there a 'canon' ending for Bloodlines? Although I suppose Andrei and LaCroix die in all cases.