Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

infernal machines posted:

have you tried... turning your monitor on?

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

infernal machines posted:

have you tried... turning your monitor on?

:drat:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

this was so bad even I, the laziest fucker in the universe, bothered to figure out how to change the background color because Jesus _christ_

i did this by mashing the 'go back to the less-stupid version' button

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

could make a whole thread just for updates to "modern" applications that make them worse for no clear reason

pretty narrow, but overleaf wants you to pay to collaboratively edit latex, and decided to launch a new version that dropped source control integration, angering anyone serious enough to be likely to pay for the service. also any collaborator can migrate any project to the new version with one click, but it is impossible to migrate it back. several projects i've been on now where i have tried pushing a bunch of changes and git responds "lol no git access in overleaf 2.0", leaving me to hand-edit in my diff keystroke by keystroke in a lovely webapp

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
lol chome. years of "no we can't remove the profile button from the title bar" and now it's gone anyway because of """"material design"""

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How many people even use browser profiles. Can't imagine that's a widely used feature.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

How many people even use browser profiles. Can't imagine that's a widely used feature.

it's the only thing chrome does well

and probably google employees have to use it because google's web apps' multi-profile support is garbage and inconsistent

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and probably google employees have to use it because google's web apps' multi-profile support is garbage and inconsistent
Are you talking about the account switcher thing in the corner?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you talking about the account switcher thing in the corner?

not anymore

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

chrome 69: what if firefox, but too much?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lambert posted:

i use a personal one and a work one the account switcher thing is now in the address bar area, next to the three vertical dot menu

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lambert posted:

me for work and personal separation. firefox's profiles are not as easy to use as chromes were but are still fine.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

one for google.com account one for gmail.com account and one for chromium.org account :shobon:

e: webrtc.org too how could i forget

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2018

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
whats the difference between a "guest window" and an "incognito window", just the colour?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'd assume a guest window would save your history and cookies, and might have distinct bookmarks/extensions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Perplx posted:

whats the difference between a "guest window" and an "incognito window", just the colour?

quote:

In Guest mode, you won't see or change any other Chrome profile's info. When you exit Guest mode, your browsing activity is deleted from the computer.

Guest mode is ideal for:

Letting others borrow your computer, or borrowing someone else’s computer.
Using a public computer, like one at a library or cafe.
If you want to browse privately on your own computer, use Incognito mode. You'll see your info and settings without saving any browsing history.

incognito + no access to saved passwords etc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Instead of behavioral interviews companies should wheel in their least socially inept it admin and ask the candidate to describe their email workflow

Also to describe a situation in which they were copied on an email thread they did not want to be copied on

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheany posted:

lol chome. years of "no we can't remove the profile button from the title bar" and now it's gone anyway because of """"material design"""

its literally right next to the ⋮ on the right

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
this was an option and they didn't do it because they're cowards

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

could make a whole thread just for updates to "modern" applications that make them worse for no clear reason

pretty narrow, but overleaf wants you to pay to collaboratively edit latex, and decided to launch a new version that dropped source control integration, angering anyone serious enough to be likely to pay for the service. also any collaborator can migrate any project to the new version with one click, but it is impossible to migrate it back. several projects i've been on now where i have tried pushing a bunch of changes and git responds "lol no git access in overleaf 2.0", leaving me to hand-edit in my diff keystroke by keystroke in a lovely webapp

yeah this change is horrible, direct git access is the only reason i started "using" overleaf, im using the exact same workflow i have for years, but now other people can use a web editor instead of git + local latex installation, its been great

did not know that anyone can update a project to 2.0 with no way to undo that though

e: vaguely remembered this but wanted to check: they didnt "drop" direct git integration, its just not done in time for the launch: https://www.overleaf.com/help/342-overleaf-v2-faq#.W6PBNt-YWHs

quote:

At the moment, direct git access to your project (push and pull to git.overleaf.com), Zotero bibliography imports, and some publisher submissions are still only available in Overleaf v1. We’re working hard to bring these into Overleaf v2, but for now, you will need to continue to use Overleaf v1 to work on projects where you would like to use these features.

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 20, 2018

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

is material design a thing anymore? the new chome, both desktop and ios, sure as poo poo looks nothing like it.

google: immaterial design

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this was an option and they didn't do it because they're cowards

but that's the space where the minimize/maximize/close buttons go :confused:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like that the tabs don’t look like complete out of place windows95-era garbage anymore

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Management posted:

I like that the tabs don’t look like complete out of place windows95-era garbage anymore

Now they look like completely out of place Windows XP-era garbage.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bring back mdi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lambert posted:

Now they look like completely out of place Windows XP-era garbage.

look at this guy who doesn't remember

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Anne Frank Funk posted:

is material design a thing anymore? the new chome, both desktop and ios, sure as poo poo looks nothing like it.

doing the things they wanted turned out to be difficult and expensive and probably some high ranking developers [the smartest people] got overruled by some ux folks [always less smart than developers] and obviously that can't happen so now I guess they're just doing whatever like they did before

it's possible some important vp read the paradox of choice on the toilet and now has a boner for stripping everything down to the bare minimum

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

putting tabs in the title bar was the coolest loving thing back in the day, i wonder if the engineers who initially worked on that are still even at google

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

LastInLine posted:

its literally right next to the ⋮ on the right

i have never noticed those 3 dots before and never clicked on it because my mac os menus and keyboard shorcuts already have everything i need

also my profile switcher is right above there...

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Anne Frank Funk posted:

google "updated" material design this year so that its no longer a single design system, but a meta design system for creating design systems (via "material theming").

chome uses the "google material theme", which is an altogether distinct thing from the "material design 2014 theme" you remember (and which actually still exists independently as the baseline theme within the overarching material design system)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember how google keep making stupid poo poo for no reason with nothing approaching a coherent product strategy?

here's some more of that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

lol Google Desktop Search

e: or is that the ms one? whatever, that trend was p funny before every os just adopted it directly

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

e: or is that the ms one? whatever, that trend was p funny before every os just adopted it directly
i think the google one had some sort of google branding in it. and it was good, way better than windows search was on xp, and if they hadn't killed it off it absolutely would've been better than search cortana on windows 10

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Vagrancy posted:

google "updated" material design this year so that its no longer a single design system, but a meta design system for creating design systems (via "material theming").

chome uses the "google material theme", which is an altogether distinct thing from the "material design 2014 theme" you remember (and which actually still exists independently as the baseline theme within the overarching material design system)

i wonder how people at google feel about introducing the FAB which gets misused 50% of the time everywhere because it looks “cool” is round and totally just floats there in the corner :cool:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

google desktop search was the only way to find an email in your inbox if you used outlook because outlook search just didn’t work. file search did work, it was just painfully slow because it would crawl your file system when you made the search.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
good to know some things never change

outlook search still doesn't work, but in exciting new inconsistent ways!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i discovered agent ransack a while ago and man it's just loving stunning how much better and faster it is than the windows search tool

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
my work is on google. we jut got google chat, but still have hangouts. google chat is only supported in browser. so if someone messages you both chrome and hangouts alert you.

“oh well just close one dumbass”

nope, chat has special rooms for group chat that don’t work with hangouts, and hangouts group chat doesn’t work with chat as far as I can tell. so if you don’t have both open you’re going to miss something. only direct messages are interoperable.

and half the office is still on ibm notes sametime.

kill me and grant me sweet release.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

my work is on google.

ah. so how's the job search going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

my work is on google. we jut got google chat, but still have hangouts. google chat is only supported in browser. so if someone messages you both chrome and hangouts alert you.

“oh well just close one dumbass”

nope, chat has special rooms for group chat that don’t work with hangouts, and hangouts group chat doesn’t work with chat as far as I can tell. so if you don’t have both open you’re going to miss something. only direct messages are interoperable.

and half the office is still on ibm notes sametime.

kill me and grant me sweet release.
sounds like microsoft teams and skype for business tbh

• Locked thread