Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I need a new rainshell. My old Marmot Precip's inner lining is starting to, for lack of a better word, decay.

Is it still the one to beat, or should I be looking at some other brands that might potentially be on sale at REI over the rest of this week or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I need a new rainshell. My old Marmot Precip's inner lining is starting to, for lack of a better word, decay.

Is it still the one to beat, or should I be looking at some other brands that might potentially be on sale at REI over the rest of this week or so?

That's what I've got, but I can probably count the number of times I've actually used it on one hand. Unless it's cold, I just sweat more inside the rainjacket so I'm soaked and miserable anyways, and if it's cold, I've found that my thermoball synthetic puffy performs outstandingly in rain down to freezing. It deflects enough precipitation and retains heat while being breathable.

Granted most of the heaviest downpours I've been in have been while I'm in some sort of tree cover, so that probably helps, but may not translate to where you hike... But yeah, for what its worth, I'd say skip buying a new rain jacket and look for a decent synthetic puffy like the thermoball, I found mine on sale for only about twenty bucks more than what I bought the prior year's precip for on sale.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I've used light insulated jackets, softshells, or windshirts as my outer layer when it's raining before too (probably more often than not), but, at some combination of wind, rain, and cold a proper hardshell is good to have. For most people these jackets will be used infrequently enough that I'd just get the cheapest jacket, that fits, from any reputable brand.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The REI Essentials Rainjacket is on sale for $34 this week if you want a quick and cheap option.

https://www.rei.com/product/127550/rei-co-op-essential-rain-jacket-mens

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
poo poo! At that price, it's cheap enough to wear as a handy windbreaker!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Good books on AT/PCT/other through-hiking?

Chard fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 3, 2018

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Chard posted:

Good books on AT/PCT/other through-hiking?

The only PCT book I've seen quoted over and over is the "PCT Bible" aka the Yogi book. That being said, I personally don't see any use in a book for actual informations and prepping for such a hike. You'll find way more informations, more updated or even "live", on forums or even youtube. Besides there's no way you can carry anything made of paper on a thru, except maybe the halfmiles pdf of the section you're getting into (it's 5-6 pages, possibly letter format to shave grams), so better to start with the right minset right?

Catching up with the thread... to the guy who was asking about quilts: get one, seriously. One of the best upgrade I've ever made. I went for the Hammock Gear Econ (the cheapo version with 850 fill down) and with customization and shipping was about 180$. I'm seriously considering getting one of the more expensive ones, with 950 fill, since it drastically reduces the volume. Still Hammock Gear, Katabatic or Enlightned Equipment (in that order) are those I'd look at, but they cost (way) over 300 bux.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just finished a nice little 4-day trip on the Madawaska river. Had 20 loving people in our group doing whitewater.

I'm going to recommend the MSR Elixir 3 tent. It's on the smaller side for a 3 person, really a 2 person plus gear but it is dead simple to put up/take down, not too heavy. Plenty of interior pockets for gear, and the inside zipper tags are glow in the dark.

Also the Helinox Chair One. It's $130 Canadian Funbucks but light, comfortable and well built. You can buy the knock-off versions for half the price but the metal components are made from pop cans, the legs -will- snap even with light people using them.

And lastly, I got to rent a Nova Craft Moisie 16" canoe, I'm in love. Not the best for flat-water, too much rocker for that but it handles like a dream in whitewater.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Verman posted:

Battle belts are a military/tactical waist belt with Molle webbing for customization. Airsofters have adopted them as well so now you can find them cheap. Molle is a standard webbing pattern which you can buy all sorts of attachments for to customize your belt with whatever pouches you feel necessary. They usually do a pretty good job of distributing weight all around whereas a fanny pack might be front/rear loaded depending on where everything sits.

https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Battl...belt&th=1&psc=1

Fanny/lumbar packs are another option but you lose customization. Mountainsmith is the first company that comes to mind for traditional fanny packs if you're looking to go that route.

I was looking into suspenders earlier for this exact same reason (and got told to go to TFR :mad: ) but I was thinking about using something like this + a kinda rigid belt + a few pouches

https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-ss.htm

but my wife says she won't go hiking with me if I'm wearing suspenders

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I was looking into suspenders earlier for this exact same reason (and got told to go to TFR :mad: ) but I was thinking about using something like this + a kinda rigid belt + a few pouches

It probably makes sense why you were pointed towards TFR because battle belts and tactical gear is more of a gun thing than a hiking thing and the two while seemingly have a lot of crossover seem to have very little crossover in terms of gear though they can serve multiple/similar purposes. Most hiking stuff seems to lean towards weight savings and specific use where as tactical gear is durability, modularity and multi use.

Personally, I would much rather just have a decent backpack with some internal frame and a small waist belt than a battle belt and suspenders. That much weight/stuff around my waist seems like it would bother me more than carrying something on my back but thats my preference. For most of my hikes I also feel like I don't need to access very much on the fly so most of my stuff goes into my pack with the exception of my camera.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's not like I intend to haul around massive amounts of gear with the utility belt idea. Seriously, the concept that springs from those words should tell you what I want out of it. Everything on this list is something that I kept going back to my bag, my tent or my car for, which would have been better off just being on my person, instead of scattered about my belongings.

* First aid kit
* firsteel + tinder
* knife
* hand and feet warmers
* yaktrax
* tomahawk
* phone, wallet, keys (turns out my thighs hate it when I hike with those in my pockets)
* multitool
* baling wire
* water bottle
* lipo battery
* flashlight
* energy snack
* gorillapod

Nothing crazy at all. And yes, I could just go with a fanny pack, but I hate fanny packs. I have what is colloquially referred to in the biz as "a phat booty", and I hate how fanny packs bounce as a result.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I'm sorry that I don't have any further insight for you, aside from that I like the look of the OneTigris belt better, with the more closely-spaced MOLLE. I have had to put this little project on hold, since I had to spend a bunch of money on some other projects that needed doing.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Suspenders are great! :c00lbutt:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I still think you'd be better served with a small daypack than a utility belt but you do you

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I still think you'd be better served with a small daypack than a utility belt but you do you

I'm going to do suspenders with a regular belt and then put like a first aid kit on it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Put it in the backpack

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ok let me back up a bit: I plan on doing a 3 day trip with hiking in the first day, exploring the surrounding area, reading etc on the second day and hiking back the third. I don't want to buy a backpack and shove that into my mainpack. Suspenders would be something I'd wear in without adding much weight then on the second day attach a pouch or two to my belt to walk around with.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's not like I intend to haul around massive amounts of gear with the utility belt idea. Seriously, the concept that springs from those words should tell you what I want out of it. Everything on this list is something that I kept going back to my bag, my tent or my car for, which would have been better off just being on my person, instead of scattered about my belongings.

* First aid kit
* firsteel + tinder
* knife
* hand and feet warmers
* yaktrax
* tomahawk
* phone, wallet, keys (turns out my thighs hate it when I hike with those in my pockets)
* multitool
* baling wire
* water bottle
* lipo battery
* flashlight
* energy snack
* gorillapod

Nothing crazy at all. And yes, I could just go with a fanny pack, but I hate fanny packs. I have what is colloquially referred to in the biz as "a phat booty", and I hate how fanny packs bounce as a result.

I'm sorry that I don't have any further insight for you, aside from that I like the look of the OneTigris belt better, with the more closely-spaced MOLLE. I have had to put this little project on hold, since I had to spend a bunch of money on some other projects that needed doing.

Get a headlamp, boom one less thing. Even better, just leave it off until you absolutely need it and be amazed at how good our night vision is.

You don't need to buy a full fledged backpack, several manufacturers offer stuff sack daypacks that weigh virtually nothing:

https://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-co-op-stuff-travel-daypack

Also, just generally speaking, I've found that the less poo poo I bring, the more fun I have :)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And as I've mentioned before, I hate poo poo bouncing around. Trust me, I'll live with the decisions I've made. And if I want to, I can even have a pouch for one of those daypack things that's made out of silnylon that crumples down into the size of your fist.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm going wilderness camping for the first time, fellas!

A buddy is having his bachelor party in the woods (Nordhouse Dunes, MI) and we're probably going to have 8 people total.

I'm nervous, since I haven't gone in ages. I have a tent I've never used (ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr) and I picked up some used gear (a Jetboil and a little espresso maker).

The weather is looking like it could disagree with us quite a bit (60 highs, 40 lows).

I need to check around the house to see if we have a sleeping bag.

My question: What should I do to retain heat when I go to sleep? I was thinking that an insulating layer on the floor like a sleeping mat might be worthwhile.

We're going on a 3-4 mile hike, then probably staying put for 3 nights.

I, obviously, don't go out much so if there's an inexpensive alternative to some of the pricicer stuff I'm seeing sleeping mat-wise, I'd love to hear it.

Any tips on how to have some woodland fun? I heard there's poo poo wifi and I'm a tech baby with a tiny penis. My plan is reading and generally loving around with the others.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm going wilderness camping for the first time, fellas!

A buddy is having his bachelor party in the woods (Nordhouse Dunes, MI) and we're probably going to have 8 people total.

I'm nervous, since I haven't gone in ages. I have a tent I've never used (ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr) and I picked up some used gear (a Jetboil and a little espresso maker).

The weather is looking like it could disagree with us quite a bit (60 highs, 40 lows).

I need to check around the house to see if we have a sleeping bag.

My question: What should I do to retain heat when I go to sleep? I was thinking that an insulating layer on the floor like a sleeping mat might be worthwhile.

I, obviously, don't go out much so if there's an inexpensive alternative to some of the pricicer stuff I'm seeing sleeping mat-wise, I'd love to hear it.

Any tips on how to have some woodland fun? I heard there's poo poo wifi and I'm a tech baby with a tiny penis. My plan is reading and generally loving around with the others.

Lows of 40 isn't too bad, unless you're an especially cold sleeper. It's chilly, but inside a tent with a bag you can manage.

A sleeping pad is important for staying warm. Closed-cell foam are cheaper than inflatable, at least on the lightweight backpackable end of the spectrum.

What more you need depends on the sleeping bag you have and what temperatures it's rated for. It seems obvious, but don't forget you can wear warm layers to bed inside your bag. Base layers of course, but even puffy jackets, hat, socks, etc if your bag isn't keeping up with the cold.

Not sure if you're looking at rain, but avoid cotton clothing if possible. Synthetics and wool insulate when wet, cotton does not.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Most sleeping bags made actually for camping/backpacking are rated for at least 40F (I've never seen a rating warmer than that), and any cheap foam pad (or just a foam yoga pad or w/e cut to size) will be totally fine for those temps. If you are chilly, long sleeves + long underwear, warm socks and maybe a fleece + hat should be more than enough to keep you warm.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My question: What should I do to retain heat when I go to sleep?

Fake answer: Wim Hof method.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Before you go I would do a dry run of setting up the tent, just to make sure you know how it works and that's it's got all the poles and things.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

FogHelmut posted:

Fake answer: Wim Hof method.

This guy seems kooky as hell.

Aphex- posted:

Before you go I would do a dry run of setting up the tent, just to make sure you know how it works and that's it's got all the poles and things.

I intend to have a dry run of the tent, as well as packing/unpacking my bag to make sure I'm not totally off-base.

The store down the street had a used foam pad that I picked up for 10 bucks, so the sleeping mat has been acquired. I also got a spork. They had sporks. A bit of DEET, 20 bucks later I'm feeling a bit more prepared.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Thanks to whoever suggested the zpacks vertice waterproof mitts. These are basically perfect.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Dude, 3-4 miles is like a 1 hr walk :mmmhmm:

Anyway, talking about rain, don't worry too much. From my personal experience I'd say the best you can do is use an umbrella. Seriously, there are some UL ones that aren't totally ridiculous, but if you cannot, just protect your gear inside your pack with some trash compactor bags and walk as light as possible.Using a rain jacket will protect you from the rain but you'll sweat so bad that it'd be just like being under the rain, except worse.

My personal suggest is on shoes: use lightweight ones, like trail runners, and don't care about permeability. Better if they dry up in 30 mins after getting soaking wet that having massive leather boots that are just gonna destroy your feet and stay wet once they get wet.

And, reiterating on this

incogneato posted:

... avoid cotton clothing if possible at all cost

FTFY

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Yeah, normally I'd say absolutely no cotton. But I didn't want to be all harsh on someone doing 3 miles with a bachelor party in 60 degree weather.

You're very right, though. Cotton is bad. Athletic clothes like Nike dryfit shirts and stuff work great, doesn't have to be backpacking-specific.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Bring lots of deet.

Mosquitos in michigan are insanely bad right now. They've had a ton of rain so the population is really high. I couldnt even stand in my parents backyard without getting mauled. I went up to manistee national forest today and it was the same if not worse even with the high winds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just gonna mention that if this is the only camping trip you'll be doing for a long time, renting equipment is an option. Lots of bigger outdoor stores, REI, etc. do rentals.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got the last pair of trekking poles at Costco yesterday, they weren't even in a display they were just shoved on top of some other stuff. The checker expressed regret that there were none left. Looking forward to trying these out. Previously I've either taken a bamboo stick for one hand or just gone with nothing, but I enjoy having the stick to sorta set pace and help get down steep poo poo and can only imagine the poles will be a lot better at everything.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Verman posted:

Bring lots of deet.

Mosquitos in michigan are insanely bad right now. They've had a ton of rain so the population is really high. I couldnt even stand in my parents backyard without getting mauled. I went up to manistee national forest today and it was the same if not worse even with the high winds.

That's our destination on Thursday.

I picked up some gently caress-off-strength DEET from the camping store. Hope it works well...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got the last pair of trekking poles at Costco yesterday, they weren't even in a display they were just shoved on top of some other stuff. The checker expressed regret that there were none left. Looking forward to trying these out. Previously I've either taken a bamboo stick for one hand or just gone with nothing, but I enjoy having the stick to sorta set pace and help get down steep poo poo and can only imagine the poles will be a lot better at everything.

If you can't find them at Costco, Monoprice has the functionally identical product at the same price as well.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15319

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
These are the actual brand/model that are sold at Costco.

https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Moun...+trekking+poles

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's our destination on Thursday.

I picked up some gently caress-off-strength DEET from the camping store. Hope it works well...

I just got back from Michigan. Holy gently caress I think the mosquito has become the new state bird. They are worse than I can ever recall in all my years growing up there. Everyone is talking about it and they are everywhere. Michigan got something stupid like 30 inches of rain in the last 30 days or so. I went for a quick bird hunt up in Manistee national forest and we smothered ourselves in backwoods off with deet. We called it quits after 30 minutes.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 24, 2018

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I really like those trekking poles from the Costco. They've lasted me a lot of mountain miles over the past couple years.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yesterday I did the first leg of what was supposed to be a 3 day/45 mile backpacking trip. I woke up this morning and felt #yolo (probably because I slept like rear end) so I cut out the second overnight and trail ran 20 miles instead. I was humping about 20 pounds, the terrain sucked (lots of mud and terrain changes on slippery rocks so my socks were soaked out after the first hour), and I hate running (haven't done more than a mile or two at a time in almost 6 years in favor of plyo). Somehow I had fun doing it. My favorite part of it was the rush of having to think one step ahead (literally) so that I didn't bail the footfall since I never quite knew were I was gonna step until partway through the stride :v:

It took almost 7.5 hours in all, but an hour of that time was breaks because of all the water I had to stop and filter. My moving pace was about 5k, which I'm actually impressed by with all the walking I had to do on uphill/gnarly bits.

This post was made possible by those costco trekking poles, because without them my menisci would have turned to jello and kneecaps ground to dust. Trekking pole ackbar.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 25, 2018

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The wife took the tent to a music festival and lost it. :smith:

After a good cry, I went and got myself another one.

She's not allowed to even look at it until I've camped in it at least once.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 25, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Klymit pads are on lightning deal at Amazon today.

Insulated Static V Lite is $51 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UW7LEOW
Non-insulated Static V is $32 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RFG0NM

Only 1oz more for the insulated.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My dad wound up with an offer for 50% off any Big Agnes tent, anybody particularly familiar with their more lightweight selections? I’d love a new 2 person backpacking tent, but haven’t ever had any from them before.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

I'm a fan of my Copper Spur UL2 mtnGLO. Not all that ultralight, but plenty of room for two people and not too much for one. Nice interior pocket features. Wasn't sure about the lights when I bought it, but they absolutely are not a gimmick and are very useful for reading at night or locating your tent in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I have a fly creek 2. Mostly I like it but its downsides are the entrance at the end rather than the side and that it is not free standing so it’s necessary to stake every time. With 2 people it’s roomy enough for sleeping but cramped for changing clothes or anything else where you want to sit up. The material has held up well after about 30 nights in it. I had a zipper misalignment issue for the first time my last night out but it was totally fixable. So the zippers are still good for now.