Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I saw this on TV in the mid-80s, so I don't know if it was a TV show or a movie, but what I remember about it is someone (a child, perhaps?) had on their nightstand a small statue of what looked to be a stereotypical magician (top hat, red lined black cape, tuxedo). The person is being tormented by someone close to them, and then one night the tormentor is confronted in the home by a real life version of the statue. I remember it ending zooming in on the statue on the nightstand, and there's clearly blood on his gloved hands (indicating that the statue came to life to kill)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kudaros posted:

That shows up on my vague searches but is not it, unfortunately.

Dang, well now I’m curious too!

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah its bothering me. To the best of my memory -- and this was actually quite recent, within the last few months -- it was a chinese-language series with many episodes available. I am nearly certain it was on either netflix or hulu, as those are the only services I have. I also have amazon prime but I watch it so rarely I doubt it was on there.

I think I saw only the first episode. What follows is my vague and terrible account of what I think I saw. There was a contest in which salvage workers have to compete. This contest is oriented toward honoring some water god. The series is ultimately a detective show (iirc) and the detective -- or some other character -- is related to an authority figure like a governor or mayor or something. This character is kind of an antihero and spends the night in a brothel, is thus accused of "smelling like rouge" the next day. I take this to mean the smell of the powder that some makeup consists of.

I really like that these shows are so easily accessible now on netflix. I had an impoverished but otherwise heavily multicultural upbringing and these were the sorts of things I watched as a kid. Seeing things like this and, say, Mr. Sunshine bring a strange nostalgic feeling to me.

The fact that I cant find this is so annoying. Is there a list of shows taken off of netflix and/or hulu by date by any chance? That'd help immensely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A weird movie I want to say from the late 80s/maybe VERY early 90s at the latest about a, like, renowned globe trotting psychic guy and how like out of nowhere he learns about a conspiracy to birth the anti-Christ? The main guy was a sort of lanky dude with a dark complexion and the poster for the movie was an illustrated one of him with his arms out stretched. It had a really generic title like The Psychic or The Enchanter or something but I can't quite place it in my searches.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Neo Rasa posted:

A weird movie I want to say from the late 80s/maybe VERY early 90s at the latest about a, like, renowned globe trotting psychic guy and how like out of nowhere he learns about a conspiracy to birth the anti-Christ? The main guy was a sort of lanky dude with a dark complexion and the poster for the movie was an illustrated one of him with his arms out stretched. It had a really generic title like The Psychic or The Enchanter or something but I can't quite place it in my searches.

You sure you're not thinking of Vibes, starring noted lanky dude Jeff Goldblum?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's from the 70's but, 'The Astrologer'?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2419808/
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/1975s-the-astrologer-is-the-greatest-cult-classic.html

edit: If not, keep it in mind anyway. It's a wild movie.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 6, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HOLY poo poo I don't know if you or I or anyone is ready for this.

Get ready, sit down for this:

Okay so that movie? Very similar but it's not it, I will check it out thanks to your suggestion because it does indeed sound crazy.

However one of the "MORE LIKE THIS" suggestions provided by IMDB is indeed the movie! I recognized the poster immediately.

The movie...IS ALSO CALLED THE ASTROLOGER AND WAS RELEASED ONE YEAR PRIOR TO YOUR SUGGESTION! :aaaaa:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187530/

So your suggestion was wrong, but also extremely right because I must have mixed its of the two plots together! Thank you! :hfive:

Interestingly, despite the poster making me think it was an 80s movie, that as the original art and title for the movie. It seems it was later released on VHS with the title Suicide Cult.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 6, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003
lmao ok thats it close the thread we've reached the zenith

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha. That's great.

It just happened to be included in a movie marathon I went to a couple of years ago. I couldn't exactly remember the title other than 'The (something like Psychic).' Had to go to my watched list on Letterboxd and reverse sort the 70's by popularity to find it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parachute posted:

lmao ok thats it close the thread we've reached the zenith

Except my dumb Icelandic movie that I don't even care that much about anyway

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dark teen movie from 90s/early 2000. It's in the epilogue and one of the teen girls becomes a news reporter because she's on the scene when the Asian reporter gets shot and takes over. I almsot want to say it's Denise Richards but can't recall

I feel like it's jawbreaker but I haven't seen that ina while and don't remember an epilogue

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: wrong tab

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alan Smithee posted:

Dark teen movie from 90s/early 2000. It's in the epilogue and one of the teen girls becomes a news reporter because she's on the scene when the Asian reporter gets shot and takes over. I almsot want to say it's Denise Richards but can't recall

I feel like it's jawbreaker but I haven't seen that ina while and don't remember an epilogue

That's Drop Dead Gorgeous and Kirsten Dunst

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I saw this on TV in the mid-80s, so I don't know if it was a TV show or a movie, but what I remember about it is someone (a child, perhaps?) had on their nightstand a small statue of what looked to be a stereotypical magician (top hat, red lined black cape, tuxedo). The person is being tormented by someone close to them, and then one night the tormentor is confronted in the home by a real life version of the statue. I remember it ending zooming in on the statue on the nightstand, and there's clearly blood on his gloved hands (indicating that the statue came to life to kill)
It sounds like it could be Xtro. It’s pretty close at least and if you haven’t seen it since the mid 80’s you may be getting some details wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's not Xtro

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't even know if I've seen this movie, I think this quote is from the trailer.

"There is no murderer because THERE IS NO MURDER" and they really scream murder at the end, and it almost sounds like Steve Carell in my head but that's probably wrong.

Hey everyone i thought of it, it's Vanilla Sky

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Hey everyone i thought of it, it's Vanilla Sky

I know it doesn't make sense, but I picture Kurt Russell saying this, though it was likely Tom Cruise, right?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know it doesn't make sense, but I picture Kurt Russell saying this, though it was likely Tom Cruise, right?

Kurt Russell is in it but I haven't seen that film in years.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It was, with the mask on while being interrogated by Kurt Russell.

Kurt Russell has a lot of shouty business at the very end of the film so that’s probably what you’re thinking of?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Akuma posted:

It was, with the mask on while being interrogated by Kurt Russell.

Kurt Russell has a lot of shouty business at the very end of the film so that’s probably what you’re thinking of?

Oh, it definitely is. I remember the movie, and who did what, but it's funny to me that when I read those words, I picture his character yelling them, despite the fact that it wouldn't fit with the story.

Also, I found it weird in that movie when Russell's character starts arguing that he's real. And then someone (tech support?) asks his kids' names, and he blanks. Like... C'mon, they program you in there, but can't think of two kids names? And he's AWARE that he's blanking on them?

That's nit-picky and :goonsay: as hell, but whatever.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I remember a martial arts film from the 70s or 80s in which a fighter gets a tattoo that helps him win by either blocking enemy attacks or boosting his punches, but I can't remember anything else about it. Does that ring any bells?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I remember a martial arts film from the 70s or 80s in which a fighter gets a tattoo that helps him win by either blocking enemy attacks or boosting his punches, but I can't remember anything else about it. Does that ring any bells?

The nerds over in the Classic Martial-Arts Cinema thread might also be able to help you. As a bonus you'll also find a bunch of crazy martial arts films to watch. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560732

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, in retrospect, I probably should have posted this in the Martial Arts thread. Doing that now.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, I keep wondering about this film I saw in the early 2000's, probably made in the late nineties? I only remember a couple of scenes. The protagonist was this dude with a nineties, spikey haircut who got stuck in a computer, I think. The computer was in this low budget SciFi room with lots of blue colors. In another scene, his girlfriend encounters a group of evil brunettes on what looks like a California street on rollerskates. She exclaims, very badly acted: ''oh no, lesbian rollergangs!'' They then chase her.

This is literaly all I remember. Would like to know what film this was, because I somehow confused it with Flash Gordon as a kid and it made me really confused about why Queen would write an awesome song for such a terrible, modern, low budget movie.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I remember seeing an experimental short several years ago that took place in what I think was a basketball gym (like the kind that would be at a high school or college). It was assembled out of still photographs and the camera would move through jumps from picture to picture so "looked" at different parts of the room. There was an extended bit where there were huge photos that stood up on easels and the camera would move into them until it enveloped the screen. Then it would keep going as if the photo entered into a second gym. Any ideas what this was? I can't remember the filmmaker or name of the film.

e: I figured it out! It's Spacy by Takashi Ito.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 16, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Help me remember this movie:

It's the classic concept of "people stuck in a room find out they're actually in the afterlife"; I think it was from the 80s or 90s, it's set during one of the world wars, and for some reason they get to choose one of them to get back to life, while everyone else moves on; I remember one of the characters being a civilian, another the stereotypical snobby/rear end in a top hat english officer. It might have been an episode of a serial but I think it was a full movie.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I heard this sampled in a mixtape where all the other samples (and most of the music) are from 80s action and sports movies, so this is probably one of those, but I've never figured out where the original of this part was -

it's a man's voice on a tape recorder, and he says something like "if you're hearing this, I'm already dead. take the money, the list, and the gun, and when you shoot, shoot to kill"

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Are you listening to the Blood Brothers mixes? Because they're awesome! I was wondering where this quote was from too. Unfortunately I don't know either. :(

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

canepazzo posted:

It's the classic concept of "people stuck in a room find out they're actually in the afterlife"; I think it was from the 80s or 90s, it's set during one of the world wars, and for some reason they get to choose one of them to get back to life, while everyone else moves on; I remember one of the characters being a civilian, another the stereotypical snobby/rear end in a top hat english officer. It might have been an episode of a serial but I think it was a full movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038733/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_84

A Matter of Life and Death?

Edit: Ah, 80s/90s, missed that one. Still. This may be the original movie.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 20, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Are you listening to the Blood Brothers mixes? Because they're awesome! I was wondering where this quote was from too. Unfortunately I don't know either. :(

Yeah, that's what it was. It was late and I couldn't remember the name of the thing.

https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-iii-back-in

it's at the very beginning of this

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

canepazzo posted:

I don't know, but there's a book that came out this summer by an author I've followed for years that dealt with the same "a group of people stuck in the afterlife must vote on which one of them gets to live" concept (Marisha Pessl's Neverworld Wake) and I'd be really interested to know what this is and if it was an influence for her.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

This is gonna be a long shot, but here we go: An early-to-mid 90's kids show from Europe about an old bear telling his grandkids about his youth as a sailor. The characters in the introductory scenes were puppets but the actual stories were animated with a style that looked like watercolors or something like that. The episodes were pretty short, like less than ten minutes. I mostly remember one that ended with some guy getting blitzed and swimming naked in a fountain.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
Käpt'n Blaubär (Captain Bluebear), which was a segment on the German TV staple Die Sendung mit der Maus.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The Horse in Tears posted:

Käpt'n Blaubär (Captain Bluebear), which was a segment on the German TV staple Die Sendung mit der Maus.

This was it! Thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pentaro posted:

This is gonna be a long shot, but here we go: An early-to-mid 90's kids show from Europe about an old bear telling his grandkids about his youth as a sailor. The characters in the introductory scenes were puppets but the actual stories were animated with a style that looked like watercolors or something like that. The episodes were pretty short, like less than ten minutes. I mostly remember one that ended with some guy getting blitzed and swimming naked in a fountain.

There are no long shots here. Except the cop rape one and that one other one, those two are made up though

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

happyhippy posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038733/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_84

A Matter of Life and Death?

Edit: Ah, 80s/90s, missed that one. Still. This may be the original movie.

That sounds similar but no, the movie I'm trying to remember is definitely more modern than that.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

The Horse in Tears posted:

I had no idea there was a cartoon!

https://books.google.com/books/about/13_1_2_Lives_of_Captain_Blue_Bear.html?id=blUjCQAAQBAJ

The author wrote one of my favorite novels “The City of Dreaming Books”

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Trying to remember a film from mid to late 2000s. A guy wakes up after a plane crash with no memory in some forest in the middle of no where. Movie is based around swapping between him trying to survive in the wreckage, and also trying to remember the events leading to him ending up there.
I remember the twist was that he was actually a really bad criminal type. I think I remember him finding another body or two at one point but not much more than that.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Trying to remember a film from mid to late 2000s. A guy wakes up after a plane crash with no memory in some forest in the middle of no where. Movie is based around swapping between him trying to survive in the wreckage, and also trying to remember the events leading to him ending up there.
I remember the twist was that he was actually a really bad criminal type. I think I remember him finding another body or two at one point but not much more than that.

I don't think this is the film, but it was the first thing I thought of. It hits a few of the points but the overall plot is much different. I'll keep looking for something that matches.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spiteski posted:

I don’t know it off the top of my head but I remember the trailer and Adrian Brody is in it

E: maybe not, I’m thinking of Wrecked which sounds a bit different

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 21, 2018