Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I never served and never ate an MRE but for all the actual vet goons who post in GIP, I need your thoughts.

MRE Pizza. Yay or Nay?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/us/army-pizza-mre-field-rations.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I've got one sitting on the shelf for the next time I go hiking. I was excited to find it after catching articles in Popular Science about how difficult it was to engineer the perfect Heat Stable Pizza. I never had to eat MREs for more than a couple weeks at a time so I actually really enjoy taking them on picnics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have a 3 or 4 year old BBQ beef MRE laying around somewhere. I'd actually try the pizza one when it comes available. Honestly for most MREs these days I don't get the hate; they're processed as all gently caress but they taste at least as good as any other canned/boxed processed grocery store food, and the vegetarian meals are actually tasty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume the hate has as much to do with what you associate it with?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume the hate has as much to do with what you associate it with?

Jacking off in portajohns?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I have a 3 or 4 year old BBQ beef MRE laying around somewhere. I'd actually try the pizza one when it comes available. Honestly for most MREs these days I don't get the hate; they're processed as all gently caress but they taste at least as good as any other canned/boxed processed grocery store food, and the vegetarian meals are actually tasty.

If you look at the ingredients list some time they're surprisingly *un* processed. I had raspberry applesauce once where the ingredients list read: raspberries, applesauce, sugar. The jalapeno cheese sauce starts with cheddar cheese, salt, and jalapenos.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 20, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm sure they've improved but I'm not buying one to try out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Making me glad submarine’s never have to eat mres

Just poor planning leading to eating corn bread as the side for every meal for 30 days. The four cooks got creative and started mixing the canned jalapeno with the canned cornbread mix. And other concoctions closer to the end. Smother it in honey and it’s all good enough. Because 100lbs of plastic honey bears can be stored at120F for five months and not go bad.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
They finally got Suge Knight.

Pled nolo to voluntary manslaughter, got 28 years.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-suge-knight-murder-plea-20180919-story.html

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BigDave posted:

They finally got Suge Knight.

Pled nolo to voluntary manslaughter, got 28 years.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-suge-knight-murder-plea-20180919-story.html

Have fun dying in prison over a stupid argument about a drat movie.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

bird food bathtub posted:

Sounds like a terrible mushy mess if it's all together.

If your MRE isn't best served with all of its components mushed together in the main bag,

You picked the wrong MRE.

Meatball marinara supremacy.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Chili or anything stew-like with crackers + hot sauce + salt packer mixed in is the way to go.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have got to say, Cohen has impressed me. He said when he pleaded that he was not doing it for leniency or anything else. He was doing it because it was the right thing to do. And since he hasn’t asked for immunity or any special favors. He’s just willingly sat down with special counsel and prosecutors and answered all of their questions.

He’s still a scumbag and a schmuck, but it’s nice to see a little redemption out of this entire fiasco.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have got to say, Cohen has impressed me. He said when he pleaded that he was not doing it for leniency or anything else. He was doing it because it was the right thing to do. And since he hasn’t asked for immunity or any special favors. He’s just willingly sat down with special counsel and prosecutors and answered all of their questions.

He’s still a scumbag and a schmuck, but it’s nice to see a little redemption out of this entire fiasco.

He’s doing it for leniency op

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd like to think there's some altruism in his deeply corrupt soul. He's definitely going to be the John Dean of Russiagate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The awesomeness of the investigation is they pin them between state and federal charges, nullifying the only real help Trump can offer. After that you're left to choose just how much pain you want to endure for President Shithead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

M_Gargantua posted:

Making me glad submarine’s never have to eat mres

Just poor planning leading to eating corn bread as the side for every meal for 30 days. The four cooks got creative and started mixing the canned jalapeno with the canned cornbread mix. And other concoctions closer to the end. Smother it in honey and it’s all good enough. Because 100lbs of plastic honey bears can be stored at120F for five months and not go bad.

This is way to go, 100%. It's always how we had it at home, even growing up in the southeast. I'm always disappointed that nobody does it at restaurants though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The awesomeness of the investigation is they pin them between state and federal charges, nullifying the only real help Trump can offer. After that you're left to choose just how much pain you want to endure for President Shithead.

Yeah Mueller owns bones

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I hope they start casting statues in his likeness

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is way to go, 100%. It's always how we had it at home, even growing up in the southeast. I'm always disappointed that nobody does it at restaurants though.

Because it tastes terrible. Jalapeno's are terrible, canned ones doubly so.

We had 5 cooks working 12/12's for 130 people underwater. They learned to turned canned cornbread into delicious cornbread real fast. By the end they were making disgusting messes just to disrupt the tedium.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DoktorLoken posted:

I'd like to think there's some altruism in his deeply corrupt soul. He's definitely going to be the John Dean of Russiagate.

He realizes that regardless of the legal verdict the only chance he has of maintaining NYC social status is to roll willingly and hope the judge is lenient.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

He’s doing it for leniency op

Eh. Typically when people are asking for leniency they negotiate it as a part of a deal. Cohen didn’t strike a deal. The grand jury presented indictments and he immediately pleaded without negotiation. That isn’t standard behavior. His father apparently guilt tripped the gently caress out of him and it stuck.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eh. Typically when people are asking for leniency they negotiate it as a part of a deal. Cohen didn’t strike a deal. The grand jury presented indictments and he immediately pleaded without negotiation. That isn’t standard behavior. His father apparently guilt tripped the gently caress out of him and it stuck.

Father of the year

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Perhaps he's just working on the basis that the justice system doesn't tend to push for the maximum sentence if you co-operate. (I might be being naive here, I don't have experience with courts) Certainly I'd regard anything he's said in public as PR spin.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Because it tastes terrible. Jalapeno's are terrible, canned ones doubly so.

We had 5 cooks working 12/12's for 130 people underwater. They learned to turned canned cornbread into delicious cornbread real fast. By the end they were making disgusting messes just to disrupt the tedium.

Lol you don't even like jalapenos, you belong on a submarine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Canned jalapenos are gross OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Read it again. Jalapenos are half as gross as canned ones.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sharknado slashfic posted:

PG County cops are awful. That's all the farther I'm going with this

At least it wasn't the sheriff's department.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

boop the snoot posted:

MRE anything sucks.

Stop being dumb and saying it’s good.

They could store it inside of the fountain of youth and I’d still go elsewhere for a meal.

Charms were good.

Edit: I swung through the commissary today, and noticed that they actually sell cases of MREs (I guess 12 per case? didn't stop to look) for $120 a pop.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 21, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
MRE are stupid expensive, I looked at buying some for the house emergency kit, saw the price and went heh, I’ll just rely on the kindness of strangers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The vegetarian MREs were legit good tasting, not even just "good for an MRE." Spicy Penne Pasta supremacy, though I always had to trade for the jalapeno paste and the one special kind of bread-brick that I cannot remember the name of.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Got a shitload after the mid aught storms. They're not great but the sides are often decent and occasionally the entrees aren't bad, especially I'd imagine if you were hungry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird food bathtub posted:

The vegetarian MREs were legit good tasting, not even just "good for an MRE." Spicy Penne Pasta supremacy, though I always had to trade for the jalapeno paste and the one special kind of bread-brick that I cannot remember the name of.

The vegetarian omelette MRE is so bad our crew's vegetarian considered eating meat instead.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Godholio posted:

Charms were good.

Edit: I swung through the commissary today, and noticed that they actually sell cases of MREs (I guess 12 per case? didn't stop to look) for $120 a pop.

Pfff why buy them when you can just join/go back in and get all the MREs you can eat? :smug: *unit brings enough for one a day for exercise duration, BAS canked for four months*

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

MRE are stupid expensive, I looked at buying some for the house emergency kit, saw the price and went heh, I’ll just rely on the kindness of strangers.

MREs don't make sense (from a calorie/$ angle) if you've got space to work with or are going to definitely have a fire to cook with. They meet a specific need for the military, most everyone else buying them are doing it for nostalgia or hoorah fetishism.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fire to cook with is a concern, so is portability.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I joined the Navy so I didn't have to deal with MREs, making GBS threads in holes, or sleeping on the loving ground like a caveman.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I joined the Navy so I didn't have to deal with MREs, making GBS threads in holes, or sleeping on the loving ground like a caveman.

:same:

When we were doing a humanitarian assistance mission in Central and South America and went ashore, the Seabees (and one of my guys who crossrated from the Bees) did not understand our enjoyment of having a single meal of an MRE every few days as a change of pace from galley food.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Fire to cook with is a concern, so is portability.

Oh come on dude even Canada has fire

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Oh come on dude even Canada has fire

I don’t have you to convert every electrical outlet in the house to a red hot fire starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Canadian MREs are good. The bread is fluffy and soft.

• Locked thread