Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Preston is our bro.

Start digging / This has been a strange week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is a Town issue and therefore not our jurisdiction. Move on.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dong Quixote posted:

Preston is our bro.

Start digging / This has been a strange week...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Solving the Feud could help us both avoid larger problems down the line. If it won’t upset Preston, dig away, #1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Strange week, but it all started with Donner

So...he's just going to tel the Reb Ribbon dam slide because we told him a story and then changed the subject? Awesome, it's like we're married!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dig in, we still get to be nosey, just keep the badge out of it and don’t try to arrest anyone.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Let's get to the bottom of this then.

quote:

"This has been a strange week. It all started with Jeff Donner getting upset at the Winthrops.…"

"Yeah, the Donner and Winthrops have been feuding a while.…" Preston notes. "See, last year both sides were making plenty of money. But Harry felt that they could all make more if they came to an arrangement. Not just a contract, but something more permanent."

A couple strolls past, arm in arm, and Preston tips his hat to them.

"The Winthrops have family all over, and in particular they've got a sister back in Sacramento. An unmarried sister. Jeff Donner doesn't have a wife…you see how this is going, don't you?" he asks, "well, things were moving along swimmingly, with Jeff agreeing and Harry liking how that all sounded. Then Larry did the idiot thing and showed Jeff a tin-type of his sister. Now, I won't say she's ugly. Women never really are, but she didn't look too good and especially not to Jeff. So, he backed out of the arrangement and Harry got pissed off at that."

"And you just let things fester?"

quote:

"Why wouldn't I? Together they'd be wealthy enough to open a saloon or another hotel. But with them bickering and feuding; they couldn't so much as dig a ditch," Preston points out. "I like the way things are, and I aim to keep it that way."
"Why haven't you used that?"

quote:

"For what? Together they'd be wealthy enough to open a saloon or another hotel. But with them bickering and feuding; they couldn't so much as dig a ditch," Preston points out. "I like the way things are, and I aim to keep it that way."
Nod.

quote:

"See, together they'd be wealthy enough to open a saloon or another hotel. But with them bickering and feuding, they couldn't so much as dig a ditch," Preston points out. "I like the way things are, and I aim to keep it that way."

1. "But if you were to play peacemaker, they'd owe you a big one. Maybe forever."
2. "If you don't fix this, I will."
3. Stare at him.

And with that decided, there's one more decision after that.

quote:

With a flourish Preston reaches into a pocket and retrieves a big silver coin, "You've been working hard. Have a meal, a drink and a bath on the town."

A flick of fingers sends it flipping toward you.

1. Let it fall.
2. Snatch the coin out of the air.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
1. They'd owe you a big favor.

2. Snatch the coin out of the air.

I don't see any reason not to back Preston's play. This is pure town business and this feud started because Jeff Donner is kind of a dick. I feel like we and Preston have been seeing eye to eye on thing so far and he's been nothing but generous with financially backing us to build our office, get land for a house, and get a better hat & pistol. As for flipping a coin to us, it's not exactly like he can venmo us with "1 silver $ for services ;) ", this is probably just how things are done.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

they'd owe you & snatch the coin.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 1. "But if you were to play peacemaker, they'd owe you a big one. Maybe forever."

Also

Vote: 1. Let it fall.

"Perhaps you've mistaken me for an errand gal, Preston. My services aren't yours to buy, nor can they be had for merely a silver coin."

Dong Quixote posted:

Preston is our bro.

Best not get too attached; we're putting two into the back of his head one day, when we finally take over Ruolan Springs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Avalerion posted:

they'd owe you & snatch the coin.

+1, although I should note this is one of the few occasions you can communicate with just a stare even if you don’t have the Stoic trait.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
1) Also me because Jesus Christ I am sick of this petty poo poo
2)1/30

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CourValant posted:

Best not get too attached; we're putting two into the back of his head one day, when we finally take over Ruolan Springs.

:( Why not just settle for Roulan County and have our friendly town full of friendly people to drink with?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dong Quixote posted:

:( Why not just settle for Roulan County and have our friendly town full of friendly people to drink with?

Because Preston presumes to be our better and acts like we're on his payroll.

We have an understanding; he's not our employer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's give him the ol' 1, 2.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

But that's exactly the reason to take the coin. We need him to think were loyal, to his coin if not him personally. :effort: ing the coin now tips our hand far too early.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CourValant posted:

Because Preston presumes to be our better and acts like we're on his payroll.

We have an understanding; he's not our employer.

He kind of is, though. He's paying us. The sheriff is also paying us (in not-dying dollars). We're being paid twice, for not working. A good job.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

We have an understanding, but that means he has to uphold his end of the bargain and take care of things here. Otherwise we'll do it for him.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Sighence posted:

But that's exactly the reason to take the coin. We need him to think were loyal, to his coin if not him personally. :effort: ing the coin now tips our hand far too early.

I can get onboard with this, as long as when the time comes, The Ruolan Gang sweeps this County clean.

Darth TNT posted:

We have an understanding, but that means he has to uphold his end of the bargain and take care of things here. Otherwise we'll do it for him.

Agreed. He's paying us to not interfere with affairs in town. That doesn't make him our 'Boss', nor does he get to dictate our priorities.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to get this sorted and get paid.

quote:

"But if you were to play peacemaker, they'd owe you a big one. Maybe forever."

"Yeah, yeah they would," Preston admits, "at the very least, its an opportunity to stir the pot. I mean, it'll take a while to get both sides to back down, if they even can.…"

He muses a moment then cracks a hint of a grin and you just know he'll follow through.

With a flourish Preston reaches into a pocket and retrieves a big silver coin, "You've been working hard. Have a meal, a drink and a bath on the town."

A flick of fingers sends it flipping toward you.

Let it fall.
Snatch the coin out of the air.

quote:

Its a nice big piece of silver. The kind that demands attention, if not respect.

(Wealth very slightly increased) (+1 Wealth= 4 total)

Preston gives you a satisfied nod, "Have a good evening, Marshal."

End of chapter three

And with that we're done with Chapter 3. On to the next Interlude!

quote:

(Health fully restored)

Preston Springs is still talking about the Red Ribbon incident. Your work with the dam, and restoring water to river, has got people excited. More than a few shopkeepers have openly said they'll give you a discount…for a while.

(Wealth slightly increased) (+2 Wealth, 6 total)

You still have a hundred pounds and more of bear meat, not to mention that whole glorious hide.

Keep the hide for myself. It will look great in my office or a home.
1. Sell the hide and consider what to do with the meat.
2. Keep the hide and consider what to do with the meat.

quote:

The meat is a little tough but no worse than a stringy cow.
1. Have bear-steaks every night
2. Sell the meat
3. Have the Grand Haven hotel plan a party around the bear-steaks.
4. Give it away to those who are destitute.

Still got some bear loot to deal with, are we going to sell or keep the hide and what do we do with the meat?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Keep the hide and let's party.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

ultrafilter posted:

Vote: Keep the hide and let's party.

Heck yeah.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Party tonight to celebrate the life of Bobby Bear. His hide now hangs in the Marshal's office and may his meat please our taste buds and sustain our hearts.

Translated- Keep the hide, throw the party.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Yep.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

ultrafilter posted:

Hell yeah. :byobear:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sell the hide. While attractive to keep for the office I really want a house at some point and the wealth from the hide would help with that.

Sell the meat. While every night is bear steak night seems awesome, I really want a house at some point and the wealth from the hidemeat would help with that.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 21, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Keep hide, sell meat.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Keep hide
Throw party

Sacrifice to Odayla Wrong game

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
It's unanimous, let's get this party started!

quote:

Keep the hide and consider what to do with the meat.

The meat is a little tough but no worse than a stringy cow. The hide requires only a little scraping and treating to make for a fine rug.

Have the Grand Haven hotel plan a party around the bear-steaks.

Miss MacMurphy is more than willing to prepare such a fine feast for you, and she invites many of the important figures from the shopkeepers, to Miss Caraway, to the saloon owners and, of course, JT Preston himself.

Each of those listens to your tale and can't help but appreciate it.

(Persuasion slightly increased, Notoriety slightly increased) (+5 Preston, +5 Caraway, +2 Persuasion, +2 Notoriety)

Come one morning, you step out onto the street and see a wagon festooned with bits of bright colored cloth rattle past. Its sideboards are chock full with barrels that slosh precipitously as it heads toward the Grand Haven Hotel.

Most appropriately, Preston's latest 'gift' has recently almost filled your pockets.

(Wealth increased) (+4 Wealth= 10 total)

Skip the window shopping this time around.
Get in touch with Jeff Donner.
Head over to the Saddler.
Step on over to the General Store.
Go see what that colorful wagon is all about.
See if Godfrey the gunsmith has gotten anything new in stock.
Purchase some materials for my homestead.
Employ some idle men to work on my land.
Gather materials to fix up my office.
Find some idle men to help fix up my office.
Head to the blacksmith.

We're still going to wander around and chat with everyone, but it's also shopping time once more! We've got more wealth than we had last time and most of the options haven't changed too much, but we also have a new vendor in town. Last time we bought a hat and a holster (actually, their prices went down this time around).

Saddler
-Saddle: 2 wealth, boosts Riding
-Holster: 1 wealth, boosts choice of Gunfighting, Intimidate or Brawling
-Rifle case: 1 wealth, boosts choice of Sharpshooting, Intimidate or Survival

General Store
-Chocolate: 1 wealth, is chocolate
-Hat: 1 wealth, boosts choice of Persuasion or Intimidate
-Harmonica: 1 wealth, is a harmonica
-Hammer: 2 wealth, or 3 wealth with nails. Used for building things faster

Gun Shop
-Trade Weapon: No net costs, just exchange our current pistol (Colt Walker) for one of the ones in stock (Colt Walker, Nickle thirty-two, Smith & Wesson Model one). So trading our big gun for either the tiny gun or the fast-loading one.
-Pistol maintenance: 1 wealth, boosts Gunfighting
-Rifle sights upgrade 1: 1 wealth, boosts Sharpshooting

Blacksmith
-Melee weapon: 2 wealth to sharpen our knife or to build a custom weapon. Boosts Brawling
-Reshoe horse: 1 wealth, boosts Riding

Construction Stuff
-Idle men: 2 wealth, helps build things faster
-Materials for the office: 1 wealth, but Preston still provides free materials
-Materials for your home: 2 wealth

Chinese Cuisine:
-Century eggs: 1 to 2 wealth, are eggs
-Jellied chicken feet, pork sausages, rice, salted fish, dried noodles, dried greens: 0 wealth, is food
-Red, Green, White, or Black tea: 0 wealth, can boost Stamina
-Medicine: 1 wealth, boosts Stamina

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions:
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Enough for a month in town.
Values:
Order: 55% Freedom: 45%
Honor: 62% Arbitrary: 38%
Law: 44% Individuality: 56%
Notoriety: 2% Anonymity: 98%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 47%
Sharpshooting: 33%
Brawling: 36%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 38%
Legal: 22%
Engineering: 14%
Explosives: 23%
Persuasion: 36%
Intimidate: 39%
Stamina: 28%
Resolve: 40%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 74%
Influence Caraway: 77%
Influence Preston: 87%
Influence Marshal James: 55%
Influence Yiska: 93%

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pistol maintenance, rifle sights upgrade, reshoe horse, and stamina boosting tea.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

Pistol maintenance, rifle sights upgrade, reshoe horse, and stamina boosting tea.

Let’s get a Saddle and a Rifle Case (Sharpshooting) too. Finish up the material things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
buy a harmonica

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sharpshooting rifle case
Pistol maintenance
Rifle sights
Stamina tea
Free chicken feet.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

Harmonica: 1 wealth, is a harmonica
Pistol maintenance: 1 wealth, boosts Gunfighting
Idle men: 2 wealth, helps build things faster
Materials for the office: 1 wealth, but Preston still provides free materials
Materials for your home: 2 wealth
Jellied chicken feet, pork sausages, rice, salted fish, dried noodles, dried greens: 0 wealth, is food
Red, Green, White, or Black tea: 0 wealth, can boost Stamina
Medicine: 1 wealth, boosts Stamina
Saddle: 2 wealth, boosts Riding

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CourValant posted:

Vote:

Jellied chicken feet, pork sausages, rice, salted fish, dried noodles, dried greens: 0 wealth, is food

I can relate to this

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CourValant posted:

Vote:

Slor The Destroyer
Aug 4, 2012
Before I give my vote, I'd like to thank LightWarden for making these choices so clear and evident. There is a lot going on here...

Courvalant posted

Vote:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like that 10 wealth is going to buy us a lot of things for use in both Marshaling and at home. One thing I probably should clarify is that the "idle hands" are hired to work on either your house or your office, so it's best if you tell me what they're being hired for. You can hire a set of for each, but that is a lot of wealth.

First up, let's make our rounds and catch up a bit.

quote:

Get in touch with Jeff Donner.

You saunter over to Jeff Donner's butchery and find it as busy as ever. The man himself looks up from his bloody work and his glassy eyes focus on your own.

"Something I can help you with Marshal?" he asks as he sets aside his sledgehammer then removes his heavy apron and begins to wash himself up.

1. "Just saying hello."
2. "Actually, I was wondering if you can tell me a little about butchery."
3. "You must have quite the swing with that sledge."

We might be able to learn something here.

quote:

Go see what that colorful wagon is all about.

As you step closer to the wagon the side folds down and the top lifts up. Before the wheels are even chocked, a merchant booth has opened for business.

An elder with a long white mandarin beard methodically lowers a placard written in both English and the delicate calligraphy of your native land. Though he bears many years, his motions are rather spry and the tune he hums bears a lively spring to it.

The placard reads like a menu from across the Pacific ocean strewn with everything from century eggs to jellied chicken feet and more.

"Welcome," the old man says with a sparkle to his eye as he beckons you closer. "I am Wong Dai Choi and these are the gifts of the East Land."

"Wong Dai Choi?"

quote:

"Yes, that is my name. Though, if you like, you may call me Dai Choi Wong," he allows. "Many of us do."
"I was just about to ask about that."

quote:

"Have we met before?" he asks politely. "I would not think so, but I have been known to be wrong every decade or so."
"King of Big Money?"

quote:

"Yes, apparently I am quite proficient with profits," Wong Dai Choi says modestly."
"Maybe I will do that."

quote:

"Cautious? Well, we have not met before. At least, not that I recall," Wong Dai Choi allows.
"I take it you have come a long way?"

quote:

"From San Francisco," Wong Dai Choi says. "A long ride. Though, do you mean, have I come a long way before then? The answer is, of course, yes."
"I didn't expect to see Chinese goods out this far into Nevada."

quote:

"I usually sell to those men working for the Central Pacific railroad, but I had surplus and had an idea to test the market out this way."

"And?"

quote:

"We shall see."
"May I look at your goods?"
"If you have not been here before, you will need protection."

quote:

"Protection?" Wong Dai Choi inquires. "From what exactly?"
"From those who would take instead of trade."

quote:

"And are you offering me protection?"

1. "Of course. As Marshal, it is my duty to do so without recompense."
2. "Of course. Sadly, I do have other duties..."
3. "And at standard rates."
"From the Sheriff who, unlike me, demands bribes."

quote:

"I shall avoid the Sheriff then or at least refer him to you then. Is that acceptable?"

4. "Of course. If he comes by, send someone to me."
5. "It is. Sadly, I have other duties that will take me from here."
6. "It would be, or for a small fee I could leave a letter of protection with you."

"From unfortunate circumstances."

quote:

"I understand. What does your protection require?"

7. "That you ask for it, that is all."
8. "Just buy me a meal or two while I remain nearby."
9. "For a small fee I will leave a letter of protection with you."

"I'd like to look at your goods."

Before we get down to shopping, we can tell him about some of the local customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

2 and look.