Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there any good places for BBC Radio dramas other than archive.org?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Professor Shark posted:

Is there any good places for BBC Radio dramas other than archive.org?

Audible has a large number.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I was looking at the work Gail Carriger has done since the last book of hers I purchased (since her new book is out and I loved it as usual) and noticed that they rereleased one of her books as Booktrack Editon. Looking around I found out that this means adding music to the narration.

Do these add anything substantial enough to be worth purchasing a second time?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

lofi posted:

I've been listening to the audiobook of Gormenghast, and I'm absolutely loving it - which is weird, given I found the actual-book-version impenetrable. I think it's because I can draw while I listen, and let the atmosphere sink in rather than reading and being all 'why is it taking three pages for a dude to walk across a room, ffs'.

I'd really recommend it, is what I'm saying. Best book I've listened to in a long time.

That's great to hear, I've been trying to decide whether to tackle it in audio, where I do the vast majority of my reading but which isn't always good for denser or more challenging material, and paper. Do you find you're able to keep up with it without zoning out?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Cast Under an Alien Sun is so good. Slow to start but give it an hour.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any political/sociological books on modern Russia, maybe covering the past decade or two? Im coming to the end of Gorbachev: His Life and Times and I'd really like to know more about Russia since they've been in the spotlight. But just as importantly, I'd like to know more about the people. How they feel about the world, about each-other, class, rights etc. Basically a Russian version of Age of Ambition, which is basically a survey course on the people of 2010s China.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Kestral posted:

That's great to hear, I've been trying to decide whether to tackle it in audio, where I do the vast majority of my reading but which isn't always good for denser or more challenging material, and paper. Do you find you're able to keep up with it without zoning out?

Better than I can with the book, yes. If I get distracted I might miss a line, but in Gormenghast that's less than the blink of an eye, so it's perfect!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If anyone's looking for a combination of Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, Ringworld, Han Solo, and Farscape, may I recommend 85 hours of:

Galaxy Outlaws: The Complete Black Ocean Mobius Missions 1-16.5

Just some very chill space hijinks.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

luscious posted:

Cast Under an Alien Sun is so good. Slow to start but give it an hour.

I liked this book a lot too. The sequels got less and less interesting though and I'm still working through the final book in the series. It's a weird sort of modern take on "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Mister Facetious posted:

If anyone's looking for a combination of Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, Ringworld, Han Solo, and Farscape, may I recommend 85 hours of:

Already got this but haven't listened to it yet. I'll have to bumb it up... Thanks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Whatever you do, don't switch books or you'll never find your spot again, since it's a multipart download.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mister Facetious posted:

space fanfiction is very bad unless the author is good and there being 85 hours makes me think it's some stream of consciousness from a dude who's only diet is other sci-fi. confirm/deny?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

buglord posted:

Any political/sociological books on modern Russia, maybe covering the past decade or two? Im coming to the end of Gorbachev: His Life and Times and I'd really like to know more about Russia since they've been in the spotlight. But just as importantly, I'd like to know more about the people. How they feel about the world, about each-other, class, rights etc. Basically a Russian version of Age of Ambition, which is basically a survey course on the people of 2010s China.

Nothing is True and Everything is Possible is a pretty sensationalized but good look at modern Russia.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

poisonpill posted:

space fanfiction is very bad unless the author is good and there being 85 hours makes me think it's some stream of consciousness from a dude who's only diet is other sci-fi. confirm/deny?

It's not fanfiction, that's merely the closest analogy I can give to the setting/genre feel. It's a compilation of full length and short stories involving the galaxy's best conman and ex-navy fighter pilot Bradley Carlin "Carl" Ramsey and crew. Hilarity and mild incompetence ensues.
It also has magic because why not.

You can get most of them separately if you wanted to, but at one credit per book, why would you ever want to when the whole thing is one by itself?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 7, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Seems a bit rude to post the tapes they play to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay in this thread but hell,

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

But I didn't say anything by Neal Stephenson Game of Thrones? :confused:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I was looking up why Phil Gigante didn't continue narrating the Hap and Leonard books and welp, turns out he's a convicted sex offender/child predator.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lumbermouth posted:

I was looking up why Phil Gigante didn't continue narrating the Hap and Leonard books and welp, turns out he's a convicted sex offender/child predator.

Yikes. It's gonna be weird listening to Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said again

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
2 books for 1 credit fantasy sale over on audible. They have some okay stuff on there. Got Mogworld and Overlife Dreams

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I grabbed Mogworld when it came out, but couldn't get past the first chapter because Yahtzee sounds so utterly lifeless compared to his Escapist reviews.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

KingShiro posted:

2 books for 1 credit fantasy sale over on audible. They have some okay stuff on there. Got Mogworld and Overlife Dreams

Otherlife Dreams is an aggressively mediocre harem fantasy LitRPG sexist towards men, women and everyone else. The only way to even remotely enjoy it is to take stiff MST3K/F Plus reading on it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Today I listened to an audio version of :umberto: Ur-Fascism by Umberto Eco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0uTHY9OyQ the reader was pretty good and I found it very easy to listen to.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any English language audio books on Albert Camus? Audible only has French language versions. :france:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Albert Camus: Elements of a Life
By: Robert Zaretsky
Narrated by: Daniel Galvez II
Length: 5 hrs and 12 mins
https://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoirs/Albert-Camus-Elements-of-a-Life-Audiobook/B016JBMC1I

quote:

In a book distinguished by clarity and passion, Robert Zaretsky considers why Albert Camus mattered in his own lifetime and continues to matter today, focusing on key moments that shaped Camus' development as a writer, a public intellectual, and a man

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Thanks but I'm afraid that just takes me to .co.uk homepage so I'm guessing its American exclusive. Though looking on UK site they've recently added some German language versions which is slightly more useful, maybe their getting around to English releases sometime in the future.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

In theory you should be able to register to Audible.com, as it existed before they made a specific site for each country's Amazon.
As an example, all my books were purchased through the American site as there was no .ca at the time. Indeed, I'll order things through Amazon.com if it beats the Canadian prices after currency and import fees (it usually does, wtf)

The only problem is that accounts on Amazon and their affiliates aren't unified, which means having both Audible accounts open in your phone at once is a no-go.

On desktop, not a problem. On phones... ugh.

It loving sucks because Amazon charges the same price for a subscription on the Canadian website (a ~25% discount), but since it doesn't include my previous .com purchases, I'm resigned to paying a premium to keep my content all in one account.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 20, 2018

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There is a 3 books for 2 credit sale on now, but the only things on there are stuff I already have in kindle form (not that that's stopped me before), Before They Are Hanged and Norwegian Wood, can't find a 3rd though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I grabbed "I Want My MTV", "Year Zero: A Novel", and "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From The Making of The Princess Bride".

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I find 3 books for 2 credits is a pretty poo poo deal unless it's any 3 books. With such a limited selection, you're bound to buy some crap you don't really want or need. Better to keep those credits and use them on things you really want.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mister Facetious posted:

"As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From The Making of The Princess Bride".

This was really good, but heads up: there's a part in the middle where he gets a new mic or something between recording sessions and it's SUPER jarring for a few pages. Also Billy Crystal sounded like he recorded his interludes on a phone in the middle of a party.

Other than that, fantastic book.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I looooooooved Semiosis. One of the main characters is a sentient plant. Please give it a try. It’s so good.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

luscious posted:

I looooooooved Semiosis. One of the main characters is a sentient plant. Please give it a try. It’s so good.

I just finished listening to "Children of Time" which was great, about a terraformed but abandoned planet being resettled by the last hope of humanity but something is waiting for them... Anyhow it was really gripping. I asked in the recommendation thread for something in the same loop Scifi and Audible.

Semiosis looks perfect! I love the idea of plant consciousnesses, sold me. Credit used, can't wait for my lunch break walk to get started.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

I just finished listening to "Children of Time" which was great, about a terraformed but abandoned planet being resettled by the last hope of humanity but something is waiting for them... Anyhow it was really gripping. I asked in the recommendation thread for something in the same loop Scifi and Audible.

Semiosis looks perfect! I love the idea of plant consciousnesses, sold me. Credit used, can't wait for my lunch break walk to get started.

if you find it slow at first just keep going. It realllllly gets reallllllly good.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
On the topic of sentient plant audiobooks: Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep has a race of sentient mangroves who were uplifted by being given little scooters with RAM to let them remember things long enough to commit them to their long-term biological memory, and I love Pete Larkin's voice so much I got three other books he narrates.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Tanith posted:

On the topic of sentient plant audiobooks: Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep has a race of sentient mangroves who were uplifted by being given little scooters with RAM to let them remember things long enough to commit them to their long-term biological memory, and I love Pete Larkin's voice so much I got three other books he narrates.

Should I listen to the first in the series or just jump into the sentient plants?

I grabbed The Dog Stars, I Let You Go, and Year Zero in the recent sale. I'm listening to An Ember in the Ashes right now. Just returned Vox (it's like weird Handmaid's Tale rip off? Not interesting enough for me).

luscious fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 21, 2018

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Senerio posted:

This was really good, but heads up: there's a part in the middle where he gets a new mic or something between recording sessions and it's SUPER jarring for a few pages. Also Billy Crystal sounded like he recorded his interludes on a phone in the middle of a party.

Other than that, fantastic book.

God drat, does he have the best speaking voice. :allears:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

luscious posted:

Should I listen to the first in the series or just jump into the sentient plants?

Fire Upon the Deep is the first, Deepness in the Sky is a prequel and... mostly unrelated. They're both really good. Never did read Children of the Sky, maybe I will one of these days.

How does FUtD work as an audiobook? It's been a long while since I read it but I recall there's a lot of galactic usenet posts with long headers that might be weird when read aloud. Similar to Excession by Banks, IIRC.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

luscious posted:

if you find it slow at first just keep going. It realllllly gets reallllllly good.

Finished, this was really good. But it really left some hanging threads for me Why did the glassmakers originally leave bamboo city? Where did they come from? Uh, did they turn out ok, there was only like 20 left or something, is that enough to even breed? Also, they like sort of explored the idea that the pacifists were actually quite violent, the society originated with a murder, all be it somewhat justified IDK, so many ideas that could have been explored more but still it was good.

Also, so many poop jokes :nexus:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

Finished, this was really good. But it really left some hanging threads for me Why did the glassmakers originally leave bamboo city? Where did they come from? Uh, did they turn out ok, there was only like 20 left or something, is that enough to even breed? Also, they like sort of explored the idea that the pacifists were actually quite violent, the society originated with a murder, all be it somewhat justified IDK, so many ideas that could have been explored more but still it was good.

Also, so many poop jokes :nexus:

Agreed on most things. I think that it was kinda hinted at that the glassmakers left because they didn't like the fact that Stevland controlled so much? They didn't trust him and became nomadic but that didn't make sense to me either, because as they discuss, nomad life really wasn't working for them. But who knows ~

And with the pacifists yeah there was a lot of weird poo poo going on from the start? The rape, the murders... Some of the things that they were recommending got really weird - the way that they treated the glassmakers once they were captured. It's not really surprising to me that there was a revolt... I think that the author didn't want to have to deal with things that were unpleasant and instead focus on the plants and new world part?

Another criticism that I had that some reviewers also had is that she jumps generations and KINDA explains but also KINDA doesn't so the first time it's like wait what and after that it's easy to understand but WHAT ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED INBETWEEN. I'm torn between whether or not I think it's lazy. I know she wanted to get so much into a manageable book though, so I can appreciate why she did it regardless of the fact that I think it may be kinda lazy.

I can look past that stuff though because legit it's so good.

I'm onto a recommendation from my sister right now, but will soon be back to Yozef on book 3 of that series.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

NmareBfly posted:

Fire Upon the Deep is the first, Deepness in the Sky is a prequel and... mostly unrelated. They're both really good. Never did read Children of the Sky, maybe I will one of these days.

How does FUtD work as an audiobook? It's been a long while since I read it but I recall there's a lot of galactic usenet posts with long headers that might be weird when read aloud. Similar to Excession by Banks, IIRC.

You are correct, they're very similar. There's also some in Michael Crichton's Sphere.

All the narrators have their own "computer" voice(s), and Larkin reading the entities advocating exterminating humans was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The climactic end to Richard Roberts' Please Don't Tell My Parents YA fiction series was pretty fun.
The ending seems pretty final, too. I doubt there'll be any more books unless he expands the universe with other characters, like the prequel release did.

There's some volume balance issues where you get some distortion with all the yelling and singing during the Gerty(sp.?) Goat parts though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 2, 2018