Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Big car:

Little turbo(s):

Put some motorcycles on cars:

Put some cars in garages:

Have some trials:

Put some more motorcycles on cars:

Take some stuff out of cars:

Drive some cars:

Ride with friends:

Something old?

Something new?

Stay stoked:

You're back :woop: sweet R1 rathack.

What I've done today: borrowed my mate's builder's angle gauge thingy to physically measure my steering geometry. With the biek upright by itself I've got about 21.5 degrees and ~98mm trail, with me on it (and preload etc not remotely dialled in yet) I'm look at somewhere between 22.5-23 degrees.

Am I gonna die?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

You're back :woop: sweet R1 rathack.

What I've done today: borrowed my mate's builder's angle gauge thingy to physically measure my steering geometry. With the biek upright by itself I've got about 21.5 degrees and ~98mm trail, with me on it (and preload etc not remotely dialled in yet) I'm look at somewhere between 22.5-23 degrees.

Am I gonna die?

We all die, slavvy.

But 98mm of trail won't kill you, it'll just be light on its feet and don't weight the bars a pile or you're gonna have a very tank slap happy bike.

Slim Pickens posted:

Oops, meant gullous. He was making good time as long as that rear tire stayed under him.

That loving guy was built without a fear response.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet as, I was honestly more worried about the rake. I like a quick steering flighty bike, just a little concerned about irrecoverable death-wobbles and/or folding the front in the slow turns. Or is trail the main determinant in that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Sweet as, I was honestly more worried about the rake. I like a quick steering flighty bike, just a little concerned about irrecoverable death-wobbles and/or folding the front in the slow turns. Or is trail the main determinant in that?

From my conversations with folks (worth exactly what you're paying for it), trail is your big concern when it comes to stability. Ideally you're at like, 100-105, but 98 is where some really aggressively set up racebikes run. Just ride it slowly for awhile, I don't even wanna know what the CBX geometry numbers are but the wobble straightens out real good over about 45mph.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Righto. In that case I'd better go back and measure more accurately. From what you know is there an absolute no-go threshold? Keeping in mind we're talking about a semi-feral B12 so a pretty long wheelbase compared to sportybikes.

I've only had the chance to ride it in the suburb and it doesn't feel particularly unstable, normally this is good enough for me but because I've never altered the geometry of a bike this drastically I want to make sure there won't be any surprises at higher speeds.

FWIW I've got forks about 20mm shorter than stock and a shock about 25mm longer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Righto. In that case I'd better go back and measure more accurately. From what you know is there an absolute no-go threshold? Keeping in mind we're talking about a semi-feral B12 so a pretty long wheelbase compared to sportybikes.

I've only had the chance to ride it in the suburb and it doesn't feel particularly unstable, normally this is good enough for me but because I've never altered the geometry of a bike this drastically I want to make sure there won't be any surprises at higher speeds.

FWIW I've got forks about 20mm shorter than stock and a shock about 25mm longer.

That should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. You'd notice the instability pretty loving quickly, bike doesn't wanna return to center but overshoots and tends to wobble its way down the road when you've got geometry dramatically off. It's a B12 so the geometry is pretty lazy from stock, just turn up the pace slowly when you start getting into more spirited riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet!

And now that we're here: shortening a nitrogen reservoir by like 10mm won't make an appreciable difference to shock operation right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Sweet!

And now that we're here: shortening a nitrogen reservoir by like 10mm won't make an appreciable difference to shock operation right?

Why do you need to shorten it? I'd generally avoid futzing with stuff like that, but as long as you can keep the bladder that keeps the high pressure nitrogen intact it shouldn't be a problem.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
1) drat, where you been, Son?

2) Nice Tempest/LeMans

3) I thought you ran #3?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
1. I love TTR125s.

2. Do you run the 450 stock or with a JD tuner/vortex? Stock exhaust, etc? If stock, does it run hot?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

Big car:

Love this color.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Owning a box truck makes it too easy to have stuff follow you home:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dagen H posted:

1) drat, where you been, Son?

2) Nice Tempest/LeMans

3) I thought you ran #3?

Oh, you know, work. loving careers drawing all my time away from my quality posting.

Thanks!

We had a group of poo poo posters, needed to get on that #2 scene.

builds character posted:

1. I love TTR125s.

2. Do you run the 450 stock or with a JD tuner/vortex? Stock exhaust, etc? If stock, does it run hot?

TTR125s are pretty great. I run a XCF flash by Blais Racing, stock exhaust, less restrictive endcap. It didn't run super hot when it was stock, just liked to flame out on large throttle applications from idle. I need to fine tune the TPS to totally get rid of that, but it's almost gone now.

pokie posted:

Love this color.

It's okay I'll be ruining it soon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Oh, you know, work. loving careers drawing all my time away from my quality posting.

Thanks!

We had a group of poo poo posters, needed to get on that #2 scene.

TTR125s are pretty great. I run a XCF flash by Blais Racing, stock exhaust, less restrictive endcap. It didn't run super hot when it was stock, just liked to flame out on large throttle applications from idle. I need to fine tune the TPS to totally get rid of that, but it's almost gone now.

It's okay I'll be ruining it soon.

Interesting. I have an ‘18 450 and Blaise won’t do an xcf or euro map anymore so I recently got a jd tuner because it’d been running crazy hot (particularly on technical trails) and just generally flaming out more than I thought was appropriate. My understanding, fwiw, is that you can’t tune via tps at all anymore on 17+ models. Any other mods you’ve done that you’d recommend?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Interesting. I have an ‘18 450 and Blaise won’t do an xcf or euro map anymore so I recently got a jd tuner because it’d been running crazy hot (particularly on technical trails) and just generally flaming out more than I thought was appropriate. My understanding, fwiw, is that you can’t tune via tps at all anymore on 17+ models. Any other mods you’ve done that you’d recommend?

From what I've seen, changing the TPS on the later models has less of an overall adjustment, and if you've got the JD tuner, that should give you all the flexibility you need to get the fueling fixed, so that just leaves you with very fine tuning on the TPS to get the off idle response just right (zero issues once it's actually in the revs, just a "clutch in fist full of throttle from idle while doing trials poo poo" leads to almost 100% flame out).

There's no temp gauge on mine, so I'd struggle to tell you if it's running hot or not.

Other mods I'd recommend, in order of cost: Nice handguards, Tubliss, Scotts Damper. If i hadn't accidentally hosed up my spark arrestor when removing the screen, I would have retained the stock pipe.

Oh, and pro-taper tiedowns - https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tie-Downs-BLACK/dp/B009XIP942

Yeah, they're $31 a set. I've got 6 sets cause literally gently caress using any other form of tie down anywhere ever. They're perfection and you should never buy anything else.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Installed new foot pegs on the fz6n. One of the old ones was a fair bit bent so I got some ali express specials that turned out to be a tiny bit bigger. Quality seemed okay and they mounted fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Why do you need to shorten it? I'd generally avoid futzing with stuff like that, but as long as you can keep the bladder that keeps the high pressure nitrogen intact it shouldn't be a problem.

Had to shorten it to clear the frame:

And to accommodate a schrader valve cause gently caress using a needle every time I want to take it apart.

I took it out today to dial in the shock a bit at high speeds. It's surprisingly stable and everything works relatively well, sort of makes me feel stupid for agonizing over the numbers. I started off with next to no rear preload, sacked like a chopper and worked my way up gradually. The setting I've got now works great turning in, doesn't run wide when I get on the throttle and feels pretty planted. I get the odd headshake going over bumps at full dong but no more than you'd get on a monster or similar stubby bike. Pretty pleased overall, feels like I have a suzuki with ducati geometry now. Definite qualitative improvement over the factory shock, feels like I have more potential to uncork both within myself and the bike now.

And in more proof of theory =//= practice, I've been fine tuning the mapping around the idle area/first crack area and found through plug chops that about 12.9-13:1 AFR is pretty much bang on the right mixture, which is a lot richer than I've been led to expect. Also found that going a single digit leaner on the VE table at idle gives me white plugs, a single digit richer gives me sooty black plugs. Yet I can change the numbers higher up in the table by like 10 and not see a difference when I chop. Makes me wonder how much value the wideband has beyond getting the basics set up and tuning for economy, it looks like power/smoothness are gonna have to be done by the seat of my pants.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Z3n posted:

Put some cars in garages:

... um. :ohdear:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Put some bike on the road:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Owning a box truck makes it too easy to have stuff follow you home:

Put some bike on the road:

Just wanted to acknowledge this.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

Do you mean, with the zipties? That's what I plan to do: Put the tube in the tire, inflating it slightly, then seal it all up with zipties like a stuffed crust pizza (with the valve stem sticking out so I can put it through its little hole in the rim).

After that, just wrestle it onto the rim like usual. :zaurg:

loving success! Plenty of lube does make a difference.

Sorry Slaavy, I trust your experience, but I don't trust my own skill and used zipties to clamshell the tube away from the tire irons. It does mean doing two lips at once, but it wasn't so bad. The front was especially easy—was able to break the bead with my bare hands and almost mount it with my bare hands. The rear was more difficult, because it was stiffer, but it was manageable.

The front is a 90-section tire while the rear is a 110-section tire, so it might be much more of a hassle with wider tires.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I did a bunch of things to the grom that I'm incredibly happy with.

-Galfer brake lines front and back. It's more than a night and day difference. Now it brakes like a high performance supermoto. Before it was clearly fundamentally broken.
-OVER racing exhaust. It's Japanese, so it isn't loud or obnoxious. Flows great, sounds like heaven, and the bike is much faster than before.
-Gcraft rack. I'm a huge fan of this. Gives me so much room for strapping stuff down on my commute. Let's me be a hooligan without my bag pressing against my back. Looks awesome and super sturdy.

I mocked it up last night with my 1500 pelican case. I think it looks good, and I like tail cases, but it looks so good without I may hold off. What do you think?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

loving success! Plenty of lube does make a difference.

Sorry Slaavy, I trust your experience, but I don't trust my own skill and used zipties to clamshell the tube away from the tire irons. It does mean doing two lips at once, but it wasn't so bad. The front was especially easy—was able to break the bead with my bare hands and almost mount it with my bare hands. The rear was more difficult, because it was stiffer, but it was manageable.

The front is a 90-section tire while the rear is a 110-section tire, so it might be much more of a hassle with wider tires.

Mounting tube tyres is a terrible experience for everyone, I'm just glad you found a way that works for you tbh. IMO wide tyres are actually easier, the worst are the super skinny fronts on small dirt bikes and old shitters.

Coydog posted:

I did a bunch of things to the grom that I'm incredibly happy with.

-Galfer brake lines front and back. It's more than a night and day difference. Now it brakes like a high performance supermoto. Before it was clearly fundamentally broken.
-OVER racing exhaust. It's Japanese, so it isn't loud or obnoxious. Flows great, sounds like heaven, and the bike is much faster than before.
-Gcraft rack. I'm a huge fan of this. Gives me so much room for strapping stuff down on my commute. Let's me be a hooligan without my bag pressing against my back. Looks awesome and super sturdy.

I mocked it up last night with my 1500 pelican case. I think it looks good, and I like tail cases, but it looks so good without I may hold off. What do you think?

Finally, a worthy replacement for clutchpuck's buellholm syndrome posts! Fills the hole in my heart.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

Just wanted to acknowledge this.

This thing is SO much more fun than the GS1100s i learned on/rode before.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Finally, a worthy replacement for clutchpuck's buellholm syndrome posts! Fills the hole in my heart.

You talk a big talk about low displacement hondas being best Hondas, low displacement bikes being fine and fun, and scooters being great, but I you are full of it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Does it though? :pseudo:

fwiw, I prefer without or the bag. But I am also not a huge fan of how tail cases look so...

Are those OEM levers?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does the exhaust make it faster? Oh Yah. Its probably three times wider than stock in the head pipe alone. It rips along really nicely.

I tend to agree on the tail box. The rack alone looks really neat and is very effective on my commute. I'll probably save the box install for winter.

This thing is SO much more fun than the GS1100s i learned on/rode before.

Bush tractors are the best! Enjoy throwing yours around corners and walls of torque.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 21, 2018

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rig up a quick-enough release on the top box and then you don't need to decide whether to take it off or leave it on. Do both

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Did my post disappear?

Edit: Ahem, wrong thread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

You talk a big talk about low displacement hondas being best Hondas, low displacement bikes being fine and fun, and scooters being great, but I you are full of it.

Yeah, you got me.

Btw I took the intake snorkel out of my favourite postie's bike and he's convinced it picks up off a stop a bit better. It's definitely noisier!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Noise is good for the butt dyno

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
For the last six months, my grom has had the following:
-high flow head pipe with the stock muffler
-Mtake intake which is thought to be the highest performance other than ~bespoke custom intakes~
-Aggressive cam (it lopes at idle)
-Aracer ECU and tuner, which are far and away the best you can buy for this bike.
-Rev limit changed from 8500 to a screaming 11000

It's not racing busas but it's loads of fun and does highway no problems.

Then I put the OVER full exhaust on and tuned it again. Look at the diameter increase (and the small pipe was already larger than stock)

The power increase isn't placebo.

Slavvy the grom is everything you say you love. Just let down your barriers and get one. It's so spiffy

builds character posted:

Are those OEM levers?

Nope, aftermarket. No idea what brand as they came with the bike. I like them a lot, especially since they fold away in a crash.

clutchpuck posted:

Rig up a quick-enough release on the top box and then you don't need to decide whether to take it off or leave it on. Do both

That's a really good idea. I couldn't find any universal quick release kit, but I'll keep thinking about it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

For the last six months, my grom has had the following:
-high flow head pipe with the stock muffler
-Mtake intake which is thought to be the highest performance other than ~bespoke custom intakes~
-Aggressive cam (it lopes at idle)
-Aracer ECU and tuner, which are far and away the best you can buy for this bike.
-Rev limit changed from 8500 to a screaming 11000

It's not racing busas but it's loads of fun and does highway no problems.

Then I put the OVER full exhaust on and tuned it again. Look at the diameter increase (and the small pipe was already larger than stock)

The power increase isn't placebo.

Slavvy the grom is everything you say you love. Just let down your barriers and get one. It's so spiffy

Nope, aftermarket. No idea what brand as they came with the bike. I like them a lot, especially since they fold away in a crash.

That's a really good idea. I couldn't find any universal quick release kit, but I'll keep thinking about it.

I think rotopak makes a quick release plate that can mount to things other than just the fuel/water cells. Check Procycle. Might require drilling. Might also be making that up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll definitely buy one when they're old and cheap but I'm not paying big bike money for one.

You probably have the most powerful a postie engine can get without a 4v head and it's no doubt a riot to ride, but not when it costs the same as a big bike. I can buy a used vtr250 for half what a used grom costs here.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

got my grip heaters + heated seat activated on my 1290SAR. also bought a touratech skidplate plus a bunch of anodized orange poo poo for it. next on the list is the third pannier and then I'll hopefully be done loving around with it

my second wings exhaust, this time for my SAS is now in country as well :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Got new fork cartridges and shock installed on the FZ-09 (Nitron on both ends). I didn't have the tools to do the cartridges so I used the shop the Nitron guy recommended - he covered the installation fees - and they scratched the anodizing on the fork caps :argh: And as of earlier this month, he's no longer selling Nitron, so I'm probably poo poo out of luck getting the caps replaced.

Not getting kicked out of the seat on frost heaves and other sharp bumps or having my teeth rattled riding over washboard = muy bueno.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did they set it up properly for you? Suspension upgrades completely transform the 900 triple bikes to like a ludicrous degree, almost like Yamaha built the bike with functioning suspension, tallied up the cost, worked out it would cost 30k and ripped it out again.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'd say it's 90% dialed in. I specified when ordering everything that the bike is 100% road use and I was more concerned with bump compliance and "plush" handling for the poo poo roads around here than it being set up razor sharp for the track. The high speed compression damping is still a little tight, but straight out of the box without making any tweaks it's a night and day difference from factory, especially in the shock.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took advantage of the cooler weather (20C & clear) to do a quick loop around the city. As did apparently everyone else in the GTA lol.

And I gotta say, I do love this dang bike. Could use a set of PR4s like I had on the Bandit just to make me feel a bit better about going out in the wet.

If I hadn't crashed the Bandit, I'm side I would've just plain run it until it fell apart, and I'm feeling the same about the GSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
another piece of the puzzle.

Got the right side fairing on. Yep, that's it. 7 bolts in 2 weeks.
Having a kid is not conducive to working on motorcycles :(