Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Done being built! Woohoo!!!

Now just to sand, stain and seal.

Hey what’s the recommendation for bolting to my metal frame? Drill biggish holes and feed a bolt through and but it on the inside of the leg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Aren't a lot of headboards that are added on just fastened to the wall behind the bed?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MetaJew posted:

Aren't a lot of headboards that are added on just fastened to the wall behind the bed?

Yea, I’m sure they are. Do we think it foolhardy to attach it to the bed frame? Also, by what means (nondestructive) would I attach it?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Feenix posted:

Yea, I’m sure they are. Do we think it foolhardy to attach it to the bed frame? Also, by what means (nondestructive) would I attach it?
Not fool hardy at all, and your guess at how is exactly how it's done.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Feenix posted:

Like you said, probably a few slightly oversized holes and some bolts and washers? probably put two on each leg, at least.

If you wanted to get weird/fancy, you could try threading the the wood, but that might be a bad idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpgT2VCB_w

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MetaJew posted:

So I've got a 12" Kobalt sliding compound miter saw that I purchased about 3 years ago, and the more I use it the more I realize just how out of square everything is.

Have any of y'all gone through the effort of squaring one up, and can you give some advice on how to go about it? The it definitely seems like with the bevel adjustment (vertical, not left-to-right) is out of square even with the lock set at 0 degrees (90 deg). I think that the side to side bevel is still mostly accurate, but all of my cuts wind up without a square end one way or another.

Ninja Edit: I also purchased a Delta mobile saw stand for it since I was expecting I'd have to move it around the garage, and I'm really regretting that experience. The slide out supports are so flimsy that it's very hard to get level with the saw itself, so cutting baseboards or other really long things were also never square. It's a whole ordeal.

Unfortunately I just don't have the room in my garage to consider building a permanent miter station-- and if I did, I think I would go for the Bosch saw with the fancy jointed arm so that you can back it really close to a wall.
There’s usually a set screw in the side of the part that tilts vertically that you can adjust to get it squared up. The manual will probably help you find out which one, but it’s just trial and error to get it plumbed up. Same with getting it square, there’s usually a screw you can adjust. Might be that the sliding action is sloppy and causing your problems. Is the cut itself straight but at the wrong angle or is the cut not a straight line? I used to work with a Ridgid where the rails/was fit had gotten sloppy and it would cut curved lines and was generally frustrating. Cutting with it locked so it doesn’t slide helps if that is the problem.

Feenix posted:

Done being built! Woohoo!!!

Now just to sand, stain and seal.

Hey what’s the recommendation for bolting to my metal frame? Drill biggish holes and feed a bolt through and but it on the inside of the leg?
Looks good!

I’d bolt the headboard to to the wall and the frame to the headboard. You could through bolt it like you described or just lag bolt or even screw from the frame into the posts-it doesn’t need a hugely strong connection

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the advice! I’m a *little* hesitant to do wall *and* frame because with small kids, sometimes stuff falls behind the bed or the side of the bed and well, you just end up sliding the bed a lot.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hell, between the frame and the mattress, you could probably just slam the whole thing up against the wall and be fine. In 36 years of sleeping in a bed, I can't think of ever having one slide away from the wall far enough that the headboard would fall on me. And it's not like it's going to tip over sideways. It might slide a bit if you're putting it on hardwood, but I bet if you have carpet you couldn't even push it without getting way down low on it.

E: If you were looking to attach it to the wall but not drill through your front, I bet you could make a heavy duty french cleat picture hanger work back there. Then you could just move your bedframe to retrieve things and still take the whole thing down easily if you need to.

EE: Actually I really like this idea and would probably do it this way myself.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-Hangman-200-lbs-French-Cleat-Picture-Hanger-with-Wall-Dog-Mounting-Screws-55316/202341629

Rated for 200 lb, you could fit two of those on the back and jackknife dive off the thing into bed if you were ... so inclined.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 21, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
To what fineness should I sand my headboard? It will be stained. It is expected to be somewhat rustic. Not distressed, but rustic. I'd like it to feel nice, but take stain well. I'm just gonna hit it with the orbital. 220 ok? Should I go higher? Is that too high?

[edit]
@Huxley French Cleats might be the way to go. I mean, it has legs so it's not hanging. It's more just... to keep it from moving, I suppose? That could work. I have no idea how heavy the headboard is, but it is VERY heavy. But I imagine if it's supporting it's own weight and the cleats are just there to discourage 'slide' then they would work well.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 21, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The wife and I are finally starting to shop for homes and I had a couple of questions.

I'd like to have a dedicated shop space either in a basement, or in a separate outbuilding either already with the house (ideal) or we build one (kit or custom).

So, I was wondering a couple of things. We're in New England, DINK situation so overall space will not be an issue. If it was a basement shop I'd likely be able to get nearly the entire run of the whole basement but based on houses we've seen so far this would come with fairly low ceilings compared to a dedicated shop space.

I see myself using this shop to mostly build furniture and smaller sized projects for the house. I've got an unpowered shop right now but would eventually likely have at minimum: dust collection system, table saw, bandsaw, mitersaw, router table, joiner, planer, lathe (6-8'), drill press. Biggest projects I'd likely build would be bedframes and larger size bookcases, dining room table etc, everything else would be smaller.

What would be a good square footage to shoot for at minimum to make this work?

For people who have had to build their own shop setups, any suggestions / recommendations? Would a basement shop be a terrible idea for this?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Carrying things in and out of a basement sounds like a not fun time

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah for a basement workshop your first concern should probably be whether you could realistically get machines, materials, and products in and out. Second and third are likely noise and usable work area.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

That Works posted:

at minimum: dust collection system, table saw, bandsaw, mitersaw, router table, joiner, planer, lathe (6-8'), drill press.

At minimum :raise:

Are you talking contractor type machines you pull out when you need to use it or cabinets/permanent machines in a shop setup?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

I see myself using this shop to mostly build furniture and smaller sized projects for the house. I've got an unpowered shop right now but would eventually likely have at minimum: dust collection system, table saw, bandsaw, mitersaw, router table, joiner, planer, lathe (6-8'), drill press. Biggest projects I'd likely build would be bedframes and larger size bookcases, dining room table etc, everything else would be smaller.

What would be a good square footage to shoot for at minimum to make this work?

I'd suggest drawing out layouts on some graph paper or something and trying to imagine what it'd be like to try to use the tools.

I have a 384-sqft workshop that I haven't bothered to lay out at all smoothly (there's an 8'x4' plywood-top table smack in the middle that's basically just used by my miter saw and to keep work-in-progress pieces off the ground), but I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to fit that many tools into it even if I optimized things. In particular, the table saw, planer, jointer, and depending on your style, the router table and bandsaw will all want plenty of space fore and aft so you can run large pieces through them.

Are you planning to have every tool have a permanent home where it's fully usable without moving it? A setup where several tools are on wheels and spend most of their time stashed against the walls would be more flexible, but it'd make the tools a bit more annoying to use. For my workshop, I built a flip-top cart for my planer and router table, which means I can only use one at a time, but I usually only need the planer when surfacing rough lumber; the rest of the time the planer basically takes up no space because it's hanging out on the underside of the router table. I also put my bandsaw up on wheels, but I use it often enough that the wheels don't really mean anything; it just stays put.

Another thing to consider is how you're going to handle lumber storage. Boards take up a lot of space, especially if you're the collector type that gets twice as much wood as you actually need every time you go to the lumberyard. In a separate building, you might be able to use the ceiling joists to store some boards (though they'll be irritating to stow and take down), but you definitely won't be able to do that in a basement shop.

coathat
May 21, 2007

A lot of people use this when planning out a shop http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I tried the cleaner and old English rout on the used bedframe and it did not quite do the trick like I hoped. Sanding it is. Any recommendations on how fine I'll want to go? And any favorite chemical strippers I should use? There's a stain on the frame already but morning else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JEEVES420 posted:

At minimum :raise:

Are you talking contractor type machines you pull out when you need to use it or cabinets/permanent machines in a shop setup?

Well... at minimum as, tools I know I want to eventually get. Will take a bit to get there and we are in a DINK situation. Was mostly planning on buying a lot of this as old rear end used tools.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd suggest drawing out layouts on some graph paper or something and trying to imagine what it'd be like to try to use the tools.

I have a 384-sqft workshop that I haven't bothered to lay out at all smoothly (there's an 8'x4' plywood-top table smack in the middle that's basically just used by my miter saw and to keep work-in-progress pieces off the ground), but I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to fit that many tools into it even if I optimized things. In particular, the table saw, planer, jointer, and depending on your style, the router table and bandsaw will all want plenty of space fore and aft so you can run large pieces through them.

Are you planning to have every tool have a permanent home where it's fully usable without moving it? A setup where several tools are on wheels and spend most of their time stashed against the walls would be more flexible, but it'd make the tools a bit more annoying to use. For my workshop, I built a flip-top cart for my planer and router table, which means I can only use one at a time, but I usually only need the planer when surfacing rough lumber; the rest of the time the planer basically takes up no space because it's hanging out on the underside of the router table. I also put my bandsaw up on wheels, but I use it often enough that the wheels don't really mean anything; it just stays put.

Another thing to consider is how you're going to handle lumber storage. Boards take up a lot of space, especially if you're the collector type that gets twice as much wood as you actually need every time you go to the lumberyard. In a separate building, you might be able to use the ceiling joists to store some boards (though they'll be irritating to stow and take down), but you definitely won't be able to do that in a basement shop.

For lumber storage it depends on the rest of the house I guess. If the shop is in an outbuilding and there's a separate basement, I'd probably take some of the basement space for long-term lumber storage and move out some to the shop. But yeah, if that's not feasible, it factors into having a bigger shop overall or something with a substantial loft etc.

I think only a few of the tools will need permanent homes, and honestly, I don't know enough yet to know what I can get away with "cheaper/semi-portable/small" tool vs "you really want to get the best one that you can afford" too. I'll probably bug you guys more about that once things actually start happening. For now I'd imagine the bandsaw and tablesaw would need a dedicated space and the rest of the stuff potentially be stowable / movable, but I don't have the experience to be sure on that.

For the basement, only likely feasible if it's a walkout type basement which is incredibly common in a lot of the houses we are starting to look at. But good point otherwise. Without a walkout setup that won't be doable for certain machines.

coathat posted:

A lot of people use this when planning out a shop http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

Thanks a lot!

I guess a better way to frame this might have been 'what kind of shop setups do you guys have and how much space do you work with / what tools does that accommodate and what do you love / hate about it as is?'

Being in New England there's some "cabinet shop going out of business" kinda sale or whatever on Craigslist all the drat time with a bunch of massive Delta, Jet, Rockwell bandsaws, tablesaws, lathes etc for sale on a pretty regular basis. Felt like I could start keeping an eye out for some of the better opportunities there along the way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

For now I'd imagine the bandsaw and tablesaw would need a dedicated space and the rest of the stuff potentially be stowable / movable, but I don't have the experience to be sure on that.

Jointers and full-size lathes are not stowable. They're way too big for that.

How much carpentry experience do you have? What tools do you currently have? There's nothing wrong with throwing money at your hobbies, but you also don't want to spend thousands to tens of thousands of dollars (depending on how much work it is to get your shop space, let alone fill it with tools) on something that you might not end up using.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rythe posted:

Has anybody worked with rattan wood strips or poles before? Im trying to find something light weight and flexible to use as a internal support for my daughters Halloween costume and im having trouble finding a supplier.

I need to hold a circle shape with built in supports. Im trying to duplicate Voilet as a blueberry from Willie Wonka.

Nobody answered your question, and this is not exactly what you asked, but check out some of Rob Cockerham's costume builds. He uses a lot of PVC pipe to make his frameworks: it's easily bent if you heat sections with a heat gun (outside, do not breathe fumes), is very lightweight, and easy to drill & attach things to:
http://cockeyed.com/incredible/incredible.html
Just scroll down and look through ones marked costume

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jointers and full-size lathes are not stowable. They're way too big for that.

How much carpentry experience do you have? What tools do you currently have? There's nothing wrong with throwing money at your hobbies, but you also don't want to spend thousands to tens of thousands of dollars (depending on how much work it is to get your shop space, let alone fill it with tools) on something that you might not end up using.

I grew up working in a mechanics shop, then switched over and did iron and steel fab / welding in the oilfield during summers to pay for college. Other than woodshop though in high school the only hands on experience with this that I have is over the past 6 months or so. Right now everything is unpowered for a small shop, but I want to eventually have a shop good enough to do stuff like build most of the furniture in the house as well as potentially do things like build and replace cabinets etc down the line if we wanted.

However, the only reason I hadn't started sooner was because I was locked into a career that demanded basically working for peanuts until my late 30s and living in tiny apartments in big cities. The whole time though, I knew that once I got the final big job and was able to buy a house, that I wanted to have a workshop of some kind, even if it wasn't solely dedicated to being a woodshop. As I've done more stuff in the last 2 years with the better job though I am far more interested in continuing on with this than I am in fixing up old cars again etc. I've already built 3 functional (but not quite beautiful) pieces of furniture for the house that we use every day.

So yeah this wouldn't be a "go out and buy $15k in tools in a year" more a "buy a house this coming year" then "slowly fill the shop with tools you need over the next x years". So, just kinda thinking of what that eventual ideal setup would look like, and how much space I would need to shoot for since once we buy that's gonna lock that part in.

Edit: Tools I have are a couple of chisel sets, about 5 different planes spanning the whole array of sizes, 3 finer backsaws, a large (~30"?) ripsaw, same size crosscut saw, rasps, files, brace + bits, lots of other measurment, markdown tools etc. The only power tools I own are an orbital sander, a cordless drill, a corded heavier duty drill and a lovely used scrollsaw I ended up with but have never used.

That Works fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 22, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rythe posted:

Has anybody worked with rattan wood strips or poles before? Im trying to find something light weight and flexible to use as a internal support for my daughters Halloween costume and im having trouble finding a supplier.

I need to hold a circle shape with built in supports. Im trying to duplicate Voilet as a blueberry from Willie Wonka.

I made some lamps and animals out of something similar to this basket making reed (first thing I found when googling so maybe find one that fits you). I went to a local arts and crafts store and said I wanted wood that would be flexible once soaked in water and it was perfect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HU6550G

here is an example of what people do with it, search for wooden reed lantern or something
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davetonkin/5191822624/in/photostream/

should be super easy, I'd definitely go with this over PVC. I ended up getting a big tub of water, soaking the reed, then putting some different watercolor paints in another tub of water to soak sheets of thick paper which I wrapped around the reeds. You should be able to nail your idea that way or paper mache

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 22, 2018

bred
Oct 24, 2008
My dad's clown pants use the wire from a couple car sun shades. He has suspenders so I don't know if it's too heavy for your costume.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I was a dumb rear end and screwed up my friend's table

Any advice how to fix this? Thinking best I can do is probably cherry colored putty and some lacquer to seal but not real sure.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

just gonna open a beer on this wood table oh

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is Porter Cable transitioning to garbage (Black & Decker) tier tools? I've started to see a lot of cheaper looking (and priced) Porter Cable tools like thickness planers, rip-saws, cordless drill sets, etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
To the basement shop guy, it seems to me if you want a basement workshop then Matthias Wandel had such a shop for years and has written about it extensively, and is now moving back into one.

Probably some tips here for you:
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/basement.html
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/2012.html
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/2017.html

In my view he has a lot of space, 34 square meters is 5 more than I do and those make a difference. And a more square instead of rectangular layout like in my garage I believe works better for a workshop.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Blistex posted:

Is Porter Cable transitioning to garbage (Black & Decker) tier tools? I've started to see a lot of cheaper looking (and priced) Porter Cable tools like thickness planers, rip-saws, cordless drill sets, etc.

B&D bought PC, they moved all their manufacturing to Mexico & China, and then Stanley bought the whole shebang. PC is just a fancier B&D now-- same factories, mold-makers, engineers, and component suppliers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey all, my wife says we can get a new power tool in the $200-300 range and I’m thinking that a woodworking tool would be a good idea. Currently have the following:

- circular saw
- orbital palm sander
- jigsaw
- drill

I’d been thinking about a router (plus table) or a band saw, but it seemed prudent to check here. What is likely to most increase productivity wrt both household projects (baseboards, landscape features, built-in bookshelves, etc) and hobby/fun projects, in y’all’s opinion?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Apollodorus posted:

Hey all, my wife says we can get a new power tool in the $200-300 range and I’m thinking that a woodworking tool would be a good idea. Currently have the following:

- circular saw
- orbital palm sander
- jigsaw
- drill

I’d been thinking about a router (plus table) or a band saw, but it seemed prudent to check here. What is likely to most increase productivity wrt both household projects (baseboards, landscape features, built-in bookshelves, etc) and hobby/fun projects, in y’all’s opinion?
Miter saw

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Router table plus cheap trim router for that project list.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

- circular saw
- orbital palm sander
- jigsaw
- drill

A miter saw will make crosscuts substantially faster and more accurate, compared to using the circular saw. The router/router table will let you put profiles on boards and do a few other things like cut dados, but you also need a set of bits to do anything. One of those would be my first pick.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazyeyes posted:

I was a dumb rear end and screwed up my friend's table

Any advice how to fix this? Thinking best I can do is probably cherry colored putty and some lacquer to seal but not real sure.

Putty yes, lacquer definite no. It will eat into just about any finish that is on there, and then you'll have a real problem.

Apollodorus posted:

- circular saw
- orbital palm sander
- jigsaw
- drill

You could probably get a very decent router and bandsaw used if you shop around a bit. I picked up a variable speed Hitachi 2 1/4hp router, 2 bases, case for 28 :10bux: plus shipping off the 'Bay.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I had this notion yesterday that I wanted to shorten the height of my headboard’s legs by a quarter inch or so. I flipped it and kept my hand steady with a belt sander and... curved the poo poo out of it. Lol!

I only did one leg and I mostly have fixed my mistake. My question is, what’s the best way to cut the same off the other leg? I have a nice Milwaukee jigsaw. I also have a small handheld Japanese saw. I can sand out to polish it up, but I just want a straight-ish, un-hosed cut.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you don't have a precision machine saw capable of making a square cut, i.e. either a miter saw, a bandsaw, or a table saw with a good crosscut sled, I'd suggest the hand saw. At least if it's 1 cm (½") or more you need to take off. Making a square crosscut with a hand saw does take a lot of practice, and if you don't have that, don't expect to get a great result.

Otherwise, if you don't have an appropriate machine saw, or don't feel comfortable doing it with a hand saw, the sander is basically your only option. Before sanding off length again, make a jig to feed the piece square onto the sanding belt!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

measure how much you want to cut off, carry a line around with a speed square and cut it off by hand using the speed square as as guide

Apollodorus posted:

- circular saw
- orbital palm sander
- jigsaw
- drill

I can't imagine not having a miter saw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm having a hard time sanding this Birch ply wood from Home Depot.

I've sanded it down to 220 and I'm still getting little micro splinters that catch on rags and stuff. Do I need to go finer? Is there something I need to treat it with before sanding?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
^^Hit it with 600 and call it a day, you don't really want to sand ply wood aggressively as the finished faces are not that thick.

Voting Miter saw, one of the most used power tools I own.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is good advice! (As is the other advice!) thanks to you both!

Will I have decent luck with the jigsaw if I used a clamped piece of wood as a fence? I’ve done that before for quick, clean cuts.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

If you're trying to lower legs with a belt sander I'd imagine you'd be fine with the cut you get from a jigsaw but I still wouldn't go that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Jigsaws are not in my experience precision instruments, especially not for cutting through thick material.