Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The VD400 self-oscillates so it's automatically awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

The box art on the VD400 is delightful:

Dude looks like a Eric Wareheim character.

youth pastor who played in a ska band while attending bible college

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Switches between neck and bridge positions in every song and refers to himself as "The Pickup Artist"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

After a long break from music after falling ill with CFS/ME, I thought gently caress it, took out a couple of big loans, and am setting up a live looping rig for the first time since 2004'ish.

My new Line 6 Firehawk FX and Boss RC-505 looper (along with my old mixing desk and FCB1010 floorboard)

My new Line 6 Variax Standard guitar (I love the banjo and sitar modelled sounds)

And a Hammer Jammer installed on the guitar to aid my crippled fingers

I'm only a week or so into the project, and have only just this evening managed to program everything to talk to each other, and should be properly live looping this weekend and beyond. I'm documenting everything on https://www.facebook.com/SoloStringProject if anyone remembers me from the SA of old, and wants to keep up to date with developments.

In other news, I'm in debt for the next 24 months, but gently caress it. lol :)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

fuctifino posted:

In other news, I'm in debt for the next 24 months, but gently caress it. lol :)

debt owns, gear rules. god speed to you sir, cant wait to hear what you create with this set up!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I missed my Arturia microbrute, so I bought another one off Craigslist for pretty cheap. I can’t get it to work with my ancient drum machine which it should since my old one did so I will probably have to play with the software editor to get it to work. They are lots of fun.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah get the Arturia midi control center, you can change the midi channel it sends, clock sync, and it should work. I have one and its super badass, it sounds great through bass amplifiers.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Stock photo but:

I've been wanting a butterscotch tele for quite a while and finally saw a reverb deal that I couldn't pass up on an FSR Deluxe Ash.

Have already added some strap locks, a new strap, and some NYXLs but that's it. I'd expected to pretty quickly replace the bridge or at least swap in compensated saddles but the stock ones are just fine; I only get about a 10 cent intonation variance between open and 12th frets and can live with that for now. Stock tuners, pickups, and nut all seem fine for now too. Really happy with the purchase!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

debt owns, gear rules. god speed to you sir, cant wait to hear what you create with this set up!

Thanks. I finally got the Midi pedalboard to talk to the looper (which required a delicate ROM upgrade for the FCB1010 and a load of programming that I didn't understand). I pissed around for about 10 minutes earlier, and did a proof of concept musical fart - https://www.facebook.com/SoloStringProject/videos/2098915727034999/

Health is pretty lovely at the moment, so I couldn't play for long... but it gives an idea as to the scope of this setup. I'm excited to see what I come up with when I get a good health window and a bucket of weed. The hammer jammer requires a bit of effort to master, so I'm leaving that for another day.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 21, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lawen posted:

FSR Deluxe Ash.

Heck yeah, blonde blackguard Telecaster bro.

:cool::respek::cool:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lawen posted:

I've been wanting a butterscotch tele

Juergoslav
Mar 10, 2013
2012 Les Paul Studio ’60s Satin

Always loved the look and sound of LPs but can´t stand glossy necks on guitars.
The bridge pickup is surprisingly bright.
Definitly worth the upgrade from my previous Epiphone LP.
Still not sure if i should switch to SD Black Winters or Nazgul/Sentient to "uncute" it a little.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm going in balls deep with the live looping.

I've had the 2 microkey keyboards for ages, but have hardly used them. The 88 key Swissonic controller was bought a few months ago, and has only been used once. The Akai MPD is also pretty much new and unused.

Plan for the next test:

88 key keyboard: Bosenforfer Grand. (EW)
61 key keyboard: Solo or chamber strings (EW)
37 key keyboard: EWQL voices of the empire on legato patches.
Akai MPC controlling either acoustic/classical percussion, or a hang drum.

As well as the Variax standard -> Firehawk FX

All going into a foot controlled Boss RC-505 looper.

It'll be interesting when all of this is plugged in and wired up.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 24, 2018

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

fuctifino posted:

I'm going in balls deep with the live looping.

I've had the 2 microkey keyboards for ages, but have hardly used them. The 88 key Swissonic controller was bought a few months ago, and has only been used once. The Akai MPD is also pretty much new and unused.

Plan for the next test:

88 key keyboard: Bosenforfer Grand. (EW)
61 key keyboard: Solo or chamber strings (EW)
37 key keyboard: EWQL voices of the empire on legato patches.
Akai MPC controlling either acoustic/classical percussion, or a hang drum.

As well as the Variax standard -> Firehawk FX

All going into a foot controlled Boss RC-505 looper.

It'll be interesting when all of this is plugged in and wired up.

That's a neat setup. What kind of music are you making with it?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Juergoslav posted:

2012 Les Paul Studio ’60s Satin

Always loved the look and sound of LPs but can´t stand glossy necks on guitars.
The bridge pickup is surprisingly bright.
Definitly worth the upgrade from my previous Epiphone LP.
Still not sure if i should switch to SD Black Winters or Nazgul/Sentient to "uncute" it a little.

This dude makes really great pickups that fit the bill: https://avedissianpickups.bigcartel.com/products

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Won't be here until Thursday, but I happened to check Amazon's warehouse deals and found a Squier Baritone Jazzmaster for $336 after taxes and a gift card. Listed as Used - Very Good, Packaging Damaged, which pretty much means someone got it, opened the box, and sent it back. Wanted one of these when they first were released, waited too long to get an Antigua finish, and have been watching for a deal. We'll see what I get on Thursday I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pondex posted:

That's a neat setup. What kind of music are you making with it?

I had a similar live looping setup in 2002 where I plugged electric violins, Irish flutes and a 25 key VST keyboard, with the looping all controlled with the same midi pedalboard. I have one surviving experimental recording from that time - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/nov22-snippet-full-impro - So probably something like this, but with a lot more options and freedom.... but with a 16 year older crippled brain and no violins.

TL;DR: I have no idea yet.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 26, 2018

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

After rediscovering the wonders of the concertina, decided to drop some cash on an Anglo to compliment my current English system. All started because the guy I build instruments with may have a decent set of gigs with various steampunk events lined up and we ended up writing half a dozen quick songs about beheading capitalists and other such important topics. Since all of them worked on the C/G system and I loving hate the Bastari loaner I’m using due to horrible bellows, figured I may as well go to the same place I got my English.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I have one of the antigua models and wound up needing to replace the jack, pickup switch, and potentiometers because they were noisy but after that, it sounds amazing. The stock pickups are great. I do wish more people would play songs on them without immediately veering into the "Will it djent?" zone.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Hedningen posted:

After rediscovering the wonders of the concertina, decided to drop some cash on an Anglo to compliment my current English system. All started because the guy I build instruments with may have a decent set of gigs with various steampunk events lined up and we ended up writing half a dozen quick songs about beheading capitalists and other such important topics. Since all of them worked on the C/G system and I loving hate the Bastari loaner I’m using due to horrible bellows, figured I may as well go to the same place I got my English.

Communist uprising-steampunk does seem like an underserved market. :)

e: Red-punk? Hammer&Sickle-punk? It has to have some kind of dorky name though.

Pondex fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 26, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hedningen posted:

I love every part of this that I can understand.

Can we hear any of this music?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

AlphaDog posted:

I love every part of this that I can understand.

Can we hear any of this music?

I’ll see if I can grab a recording of our next practice/jam session. We usually have things mic’d so we can review ideas, but the quality is garbage due to switching instruments and trying melodies. Failing that, I’ll see what I can get over the weekend by multitracking myself.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I do wish more people would play songs on them without immediately veering into the "Will it djent?" zone.

I'll repeat what I said in the Guitar Thread: when I realized how Tom Waits songs there are in B minor is when I truly learned to love my baritone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
who needs cables?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

I'll repeat what I said in the Guitar Thread: when I realized how Tom Waits songs there are in B minor is when I truly learned to love my baritone.
Baritone/Extended range guitars lend themselves incredibly well to some good ol' flamenco toque, salsa, cha cha cha, cumbia, bolero among others.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And it's here!

Box was trashed, but it is basically new. No scuffs or scrapes anywhere, just a lot of oily fingerprints. Plastic still on the pickguard. Output jack loose, but still had the foam over the pickup selector. It did come tuned to Drop-A.

Also, no noisier than any other single coil guitar I have, which makes me wonder if they must have changed something at some time since I've seen so many complaints about noise.

Going to need to do a setup, bridge saddles are pretty much in a straight line and the string height isn't consistent across all the strings. Does play pretty good as is. Pickups sound good, and the middle position sounds useable to me, which was another complaint I had heard.

Oddly, even with my small hands, the scale length doesn't bother me, and that's what I was most concerned about. I do find myself holding it more upright like I tend to do while playing bass.

My only real complaint is I don't like the black-on-black-on-black look. Might have to get some red pearloid and cut a new pickguard so it can match it's siblings

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wark Say posted:

Baritone/Extended range guitars lend themselves incredibly well to some good ol' flamenco toque, salsa, cha cha cha, cumbia, bolero among others.

I'm not good enough to play anything that ends in "-o" or "-a." :smithcloud:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

widefault posted:

And it's here!

Lovely.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve got the Squier Baritone in Antigua and strung with VI strings as a VI and drat I love that thing. If you could find an Antigua pick guard it would look p cool.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

widefault posted:

My only real complaint is I don't like the black-on-black-on-black look. Might have to get some red pearloid and cut a new pickguard so it can match it's siblings

Nice! The Wilko Johnson look!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

2nd Stagg keyboard stand arrived. Looping console and Akai MPD218 positioned where they should be. I know it's upside down. It means the pads are closer to my strumming hand.

I can now sit at middle C on the piano, have the variax strapped around my neck, and strum a note, hit a trigger pad or two then play something on the piano with sustain, all while the original guitar note is sustaining... all in the same loop cycle. Once payday comes, I can get the missing keyboard stand to have the two microkeys in a place I can easily get to with my eyes closed.

The stand coming before next weekend to house the microkeys:

I was earlier asked what sort of music it will be, and this an element i want to dive down.

Minimalist operatic, classical, dub, ethnic, jazz, folk fusion... an ever organic journey that could last 5 or 20 minutes... but keep it 'less is more' with regards to the loops themselves. CFS/ME is really bad at moment, so hard to explain. I want to record the music in my brain as I hear it, as it happens.

When I was last into live looping, it was mostly based around violins - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/thursday-piece (from 2002). Last time I recorded the music in my head in a quick one-take environment, using cubase, I produced this - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/dark in about 2-3 hours. I had to stop as I hit mental and cognitive brick walls. It hosed up my CFS/ME really bad. I can't use DAWs or multi-track any more. That was about 8 months ago. I've had many aborted attempts to get back into some sort of music.

I seem to be able to effortless live loop though, so I want to do as much as I can. I have 12 years of musical constipation to get out. This is my last chance, so I'm going balls deep in the effort. Apart from a few USB leads, hubs and webcams and the stand, I have everything I need.

e: I also have an Eigenharp Tau that I bought years ago that I only used for a few hours. I'd like to set it up above the electric piano, and have the 4 rows assigned to EWQL's Double bass, then cellos, then violas, then violins... or combinations of those depending on what works, and have a full string orchestra that I can play with one hand. But it requires a loving PHd to understand, so I'll have to find someone in the wild to program it all for me. That's for further down the road.

P.S. I'm a bit insane at the moment. :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 30, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a side project, and also contains new stuff.

Yamaha Guitalele, now with the Hammer Jammer fixed to it, and I'm experimenting with multiclap positions. It's something to play when the illness forces me to bed, though it would be fun to find a way to mic it up one day.

It has velcro pads underneath, and can be easily attached to my fretless ubass.

It's the most cripple friendly instrument combo I have.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For $600 with hardshell case and gig bag, I couldn’t resist. Gonna plug it into my iRig HD 2 for some garageband jams.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

ChocNitty posted:

For $600 with hardshell case and gig bag, I couldn’t resist. Gonna plug it into my iRig HD 2 for some garageband jams.

Well that looks really pretty.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
fuctifino, I don't know what the devil you're trying to do, but I honestly cannot wait to hear it. Do you have a soundcloud or something?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

^^^ [Edit] I have nothing of this project on soundcloud. Everything is currently documented just on the facebook page, which you shouldn't need an account to view. I haven't done any proper recordings apart from a few concept tests, as I spent all my medicine money for 2-3 months to pay for the deposit for the loans, so haven't been able to perform properly. This is early access early construction phase, but feel free to see and understand what I'm trying to do. http://facebook.com/SoloStringProject

ChocNitty posted:

That is one stunningly beautiful guitar. How does it sound?

e: vvvv :kimchi:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 30, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Already following you And reading the pinned note. :3:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Borrowed £50 from my mum for a few days, which means I'll be getting the missing keyboard stand tomorrow :)

Re: what I want to achieve, the closest live looper I've discovered who is on a similar wavelength is this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYV2-8AdvDQ.. but I'll be using trigger pads and midi, with the full EWQL Composer Cloud library for a lot of the sounds (when not using variax/voice/whistles/flutes)... instead of actual instruments, and probably being a lot more classical and ethnic/folky.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

My friend gave me a Keystation Mini and a Nanopad, so I had to get myself a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. Time to learn about plugin synths and VST's at long last!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Been forever since I got some gear, so some pics of the new stuff (ground control pro & EX-P) + things they’re used with (imgur album for probably huge pics):
https://imgur.com/a/GPq9zgu