Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3c8UUAj0CI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Also I just finished watching this, seeing the completed kit is just adorable. The most adorable burger.

Sounds like you'd like RRcherrypie's videos then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDaz1VSS2E

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, the comments for that video so far are a weird three way battleground between people who hate Doug, Brad apologists, and Brad apologists who also hate Doug.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

bessantj posted:

Doug Walker in the wild. Also crazy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-QjEKjGjg

Doug would be dumb enough to vote for Mr. Peanutbutter.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

My favorite part of the latest ContraPoints video is the power move of setting the scene in Justine's home, while she's arguing the importance of the Aesthetic with a movie poster for Pink Flamingos in the background.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hammer don’t hurt em.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Jenny Nicholson wrote an article for playboy.

https://www.playboy.com/read/bert-ernie-sesame-street-gay

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the comments for that video so far are a weird three way battleground between people who hate Doug, Brad apologists, and Brad apologists who also hate Doug.

i am the latter but i don't really watch much of his stuff anymore. making fun of dumb evangelical poo poo gets old after awhile. i liked his old stuff better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i read that in her voice. great article, though personally, i always saw them as roommates or brothers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I forgot about Bert and Ernie (Arik and Bentz in Israel's version) pretty much as soon as I aged out of Sesame Street. I have no idea what I thought about their relationships, I wasn't old enough to give a poo poo about relationships.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nice! I didn't "hear" it in her video voice myself, but I dig it even more than her videos

I hope she gets more contributor writing work

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I forgot about Bert and Ernie (Arik and Bentz in Israel's version) pretty much as soon as I aged out of Sesame Street. I have no idea what I thought about their relationships, I wasn't old enough to give a poo poo about relationships.

i watched a ton of sesame street as a tiny kid and as bored junior high student stuck on dialiysis. i for the longest time thought they were brothers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In all seriousness, CTW take their commitment to offering clear ideas and lessons to children extremely seriously and probably don’t want Bert and Ernie to be partners because the developmental needs of gay children are completely different from anything broached in the presentation of adults in a relationship (why they didn’t just say this all the way in the first part of their statement I don’t know, unless it was to avoid communicating the possibility of a future gay muppet because of Jenny’s #2).

The autistic muppet and wheelchair muppet are children and represent aspects of those experiences that are part of being a kid, and the incarcerated muppet is notably an occasion to show how a young kid is affected by having a parent in jail. I would actually expect a gay kid muppet or gay parent muppets on the show and would guess they’re not there now partially because pbs fears becoming a target for the right wing, which could actually destroy the show if it had the will.

The biggest changes to Sesame Street have actually been to bring it into line with best practices in child psychology, like the ongoing transition from adult-seeming fantasy characters to clearly identified children the same age as the audience—and more famously, there was the transition of the snuffleupagus (?) from imaginary to real because adults not believing children about their experiences sets patterns that can be exploited by abusers.

Also, Cookie Monster pretty clearly just lets the cookies fall out of his mouth like he’s some kind of deranged cookie sommelier.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Also, Cookie Monster pretty clearly just lets the cookies fall out of his mouth like he’s some kind of deranged cookie sommelier.

Why don't you try designing a muppet who can swallow food?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rujasu posted:

Why don't you try designing a muppet who can swallow food?

It’s easier to maintain my sense of whimsy if I pretend it’s his choice and a quirk of his character.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I recently found out about the differing wraparound sequences for Fraggle Rock in different parts of the world and I am frickin bewildered. We got the lighthouse! The US didn't have it set under a lighthouse! Why not?? Where's the rock?!

Sorry I just had to express this somewhere.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

In all seriousness, CTW take their commitment to offering clear ideas and lessons to children extremely seriously and probably don’t want Bert and Ernie to be partners because the developmental needs of gay children are completely different from anything broached in the presentation of adults in a relationship (why they didn’t just say this all the way in the first part of their statement I don’t know, unless it was to avoid communicating the possibility of a future gay muppet because of Jenny’s #2).

The autistic muppet and wheelchair muppet are children and represent aspects of those experiences that are part of being a kid, and the incarcerated muppet is notably an occasion to show how a young kid is affected by having a parent in jail. I would actually expect a gay kid muppet or gay parent muppets on the show and would guess they’re not there now partially because pbs fears becoming a target for the right wing, which could actually destroy the show if it had the will.

The biggest changes to Sesame Street have actually been to bring it into line with best practices in child psychology, like the ongoing transition from adult-seeming fantasy characters to clearly identified children the same age as the audience—and more famously, there was the transition of the snuffleupagus (?) from imaginary to real because adults not believing children about their experiences sets patterns that can be exploited by abusers.

Huh, it's like combining the huge emphasis of child psychology in Mr. Rodgers with the orignal concepts of Seseme Street then?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Huh, it's like combining the huge emphasis of child psychology in Mr. Rodgers with the orignal concepts of Seseme Street then?

The famous PBS shows(mister Rodgers, anything made by sesame street) have always worked super hard with child psychologists since their inception. its why they are so effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Gang-Complete-History-Sesame/dp/0143116630

this book is really good.

also bert and ernie are supposed to be like 7 or maybe at most 10 years old. they arn't supposed to be in their teens or 20s. i could see them at some point having a muppet with gay parents which is probably how they will do it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

“bert and ernie are gay actually” is some dumbledore poo poo.

plus there’s no way bert could handle living with ernie unless he had to in order to cover the rent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

“bert and ernie are gay actually” is some dumbledore poo poo.

plus there’s no way bert could handle living with ernie unless he had to in order to cover the rent.

yeah. curious was dumbledore reveal before or after the last book?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

I think Sesame Street always tried to reflect child psychology from the start, but much more is known now about how children reason and perceive things. The original segments were timed to kids’ attention spans, for example, but there’s much more repetition of ideas between segments now because we now know that kids learn better that way and aren’t bored by it. It’s the same with the newer muppets being kids, which has to do with how kids identify with fictional characters.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Waaaayyyyy after.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I think Sesame Street always tried to reflect child psychology from the start, but much more is known now about how children reason and perceive things. The original segments were timed to kids’ attention spans, for example, but there’s much more repetition of ideas between segments now because we now know that kids learn better that way and aren’t bored by it. It’s the same with the newer muppets being kids, which has to do with how kids identify with fictional characters.

well, they ceritenly ear wormed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvATVF_1UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86nt-MF3zU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

After. And they've downplayed it in the next movie apparently.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Waaaayyyyy after.

i mean, i can sorta see it. in the last few books with the whole romance with wizard hitler or whoever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

After. And they've downplayed it in the next movie apparently.

that sucks. though the movie seems to take place after his relationship with grindlewald. so hopefully they will at least allude to it. idk. i loved harry potter in elementary school but i just kinda grew out of it. i will still probably see the new one with my GF.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As soon as you said ear wormed I started counting to twelve in my head, but that's not either of those links.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For me it’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnDnIK2v1g

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4CKuSRYrcQ

i know this is corny but i love how genuine everything feels in this. like that pause when BB asks where hooper went.

for more light stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ05oOZiZOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3evXJqb54

here joe pesci dressed as our president does some behind the scene stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 21, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the bert and ernie thing come from an actual gay writer who worked on them who explicitly wrote them as a wink to his partner it's not really the same as Rowling taking a break from being a lib rear end TERF to say 'btw dumbledore was gay' after the fact.

Like, the 'debate' is literally a gay guy who wrote things based on his gay relationship and turned them to more broad children's lessons vs Oz saying 'muppets don't have sexuality' when, like, his most well known creation is literally a muppet who's 90% of her character is 'Kermit's girlfriend'.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ernies true love was the rubber ducky and i won’t hear another word on the matter.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
animorphs was so loving good/crazy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Groovelord Neato posted:

ernies true love was the rubber ducky and i won’t hear another word on the matter.

it's right there in the lyrics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lol this might be my all time favorite one. the andalite chad holy poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Finally, one of these memes that doesn't suck! :buddy:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

sexpig by night posted:

Animorphs loving ruled yo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Didn’t it end with like most of the cast hosed up or dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Didn’t it end with like most of the cast hosed up or dead.

That's one of the bullet points on there if you look. But yeah, Rachel dies, Ax is assimilated into... a thing and becomes its hosed up mouth of Sauron, Jake, Marco and Tobias bite it in a suicide run to kill the thing that got Ax (Michael Grant claims they survived, YMMV), and Cassie gets to live with her new rando not-Jake boyfriend and live the rest of her life in willful self-righteous denial that she actually caused more death and violence with her endgame gambit than she ever hoped to prevent.

It's a fun kids adventure series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the gang is in Disneyland.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1042993783468580864

Ninja Edit (no, not that kind):

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1042561408989257728

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 21, 2018