Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
GPS doesn't give you rotation, a compass does lol. guess what doesn't work near the poles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
no because if you read the case study I linked earlier, or any basic loving navigation text, you’ll find that your course over ground (what GNSS measures) may differ from your heading (what a compass measures) because, get this, we don’t live in a frictionless vacuum

poo poo like wind or current makes it so your vector of movement may not be parallel to your orientation

wild I know

must be hard to grasp for a spherical dunning kruger in a spherical vacuum

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FrozenVent posted:

no because if you read the case study I linked earlier, or any basic loving navigation text, you’ll find that your course over ground (what GNSS measures) may differ from your heading (what a compass measures) because, get this, we don’t live in a frictionless vacuum

which is why you can use gps to determine your heading. this is very very simple, and that someone else messed up does not make it impossible.

Suspicious Dish posted:

GPS doesn't give you rotation, a compass does lol. guess what doesn't work near the poles

there are a whole bunch of ways to determine your rotation, and one of them is tracking your movements via gps.

and you can already 100% for sure fly near the poles with GPS

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gps measures your course over ground not your heading you dumb gently caress

this is one of those pedantic differences in which you normally thrive :confused:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FrozenVent posted:

gps measures your course over ground not your heading you dumb gently caress

this is one of those pedantic differences in which you normally thrive :confused:

measuring your course over ground over time allows you to determine your headings.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sup manual microwave setting pal

MononcQc posted:

I tweeted my microwave thing and

https://twitter.com/mattsta/status/1042877393004687362

I am not alone

lol

President Beep posted:

but did you get heading?

:doh:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lets talk about breading

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

measuring your course over ground over time allows you to determine your headings.

you can calculate heading from SOG it and only if you have the value of the drift vector

which in the real world, you do not ever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

people still won’t recognize amberpos’ supremacy.
amberpos? more like namblapos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

fishmech posted:

No, it really doesn't, unless you're using some non-technical definition of "heading", but you wouldn't do that, would you?

For instance, an airplane that flies in a consistent crosswind will have a heading that never matches the bearing of its ground track, and there is no way to determine the airplane's heading from its bearing or ground track alone. you either need to know its magnetic orientation, or the bearing plus the sum of all forces (wind, etc) acting on the aircraft from the outside.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

graph posted:

lets talk about breading

Bread is good and tasty.

Bake your own bread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I like bread (most of it)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i don’t like that bread that has nuts and poo poo in it. get that poo poo away from me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i was wrong. fishmech didn’t just drop out and declare victory he’s still going this time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FrozenVent posted:

you can calculate heading from SOG it and only if you have the value of the drift vector

which in the real world, you do not ever

ok so you're resulting to some flat earth level "reality is all fake" thing. by your standards it is impossible to ever determine any property of an object ever.

Sagebrush posted:

No, it really doesn't, unless you're using some non-technical definition of "heading", but you wouldn't do that, would you?

For instance, an airplane that flies in a consistent crosswind will have a heading that never matches the bearing of its ground track, and there is no way to determine the airplane's heading from its bearing or ground track alone. you either need to know its magnetic orientation, or the bearing plus the sum of all forces (wind, etc) acting on the aircraft from the outside.

you do not need to use magnetic compasses to determine this lmao.

and once again you can in fact determine your heading from previous locations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
gps only gets rotation by assuming your facing in the direction you have moved over the past two positions

it needs two data points for location w/ time to measure vector angle

it includes no rotational data

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

M_Gargantua posted:

gps only gets rotation by assuming your facing in the direction you have moved over the past two positions

it needs two data points for location w/ time to measure vector angle

it includes no rotational data

"gps only tells you what time it is in space, it includes no locational data"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

No, you can't, because your ground track is the sum of your vehicles intended vector plus any external forces. Unless you have knowledge of what those external forces are (i.e. the momentary wind speed and direction) you cannot determine your heading from your ground track.

In a vehicle that is frictionally attached to the Earth, like a car, one can generally assume that the heading is equivalent to the bearing, but that doesn't apply to either aircraft or ships, which are under discussion here.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 21, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JUST gently caress ALREADY

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
they’d have to find each other first.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

ok so you're resulting to some flat earth level "reality is all fake" thing. by your standards it is impossible to ever determine any property of an object ever.

you do not need to use magnetic compasses to determine this lmao.

dude, again, I’m a certified navigation officer, I used to drive ships across oceans for a living

a single GPS receiver cannot ever give you heading. the difference between current position and previous position is your course over ground, which is the resulting vector of your own motion (the speed of your engine in the direction of your heading) and the motion of the medium you’re in (water or air, wind or current) with some level of adjustment for eg hull fouling, wind effect on a ship, yaw trim
on an aircraft, etc

if you have the second, you could subtract it from course over ground and get heading. you will not, ever, have this information to a useful degree of precision in the real world

thus you need a compass to tell you which way you’re pointing, because as far as the GNSS is concerned you might very well be going sideways

have you ever tried walking across a treadmill?

k now imagine the drone is on a treadmill

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

No, you can't, because your vehicle may have to take a heading that is different from your intended bearing in order to counteract external forces.

In a vehicle that is frictionally attached to the Earth, like a car, one can generally assume that the heading is equivalent to the bearing, but that doesn't apply to either aircraft or ships, which are under discussion here.

and you can determine that from the gps data. it is simply harder.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

treadmill was probably not a good metaphor for the ‘pos

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FrozenVent posted:

dude, again, I’m a certified navigation officer, I used to drive ships across oceans for a living

a single GPS receiver cannot ever give you heading. the difference between current position and previous position is your course over ground, which is the resulting vector of your own motion (the speed of your engine in the direction of your heading) and the motion of the medium you’re in (water or air, wind or current) with some level of adjustment for eg hull fouling, wind effect on a ship, yaw trim
on an aircraft, etc

if you have the second, you could subtract it from course over ground and get heading. you will not, ever, have this information to a useful degree of precision in the real world

thus you need a compass to tell you which way you’re pointing, because as far as the GNSS is concerned you might very well be going sideways

have you ever tried walking across a treadmill?

k now imagine the drone is on a treadmill

you can record gps data over time to determine what your heading must be.

feel free to continue melting down over this if you want

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

:golfclap:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

and you can determine that from the gps data. it is simply harder.

You literally cannot. It is mathematically impossible. all the GPS receiver knows is the displacement between two subsequent points, and it has no way of determining whether that displacement was because the vehicle pointed in that direction and flew forwards, or if it tried to hover in place and was blown sideways, or any combination in between.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the only thing causing me to melt down is how wrong you are

heading =/= course over ground

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

you can record gps data over time to determine what your heading must be.

transparent trolling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

and you can determine that from the gps data.

how

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

iospace posted:

JUST gently caress ALREADY

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

here’s how you determine heading with a GNSS:

you get two receivers

you put the antennas on a very straight piece of steel or something

you calculate the difference between the two reported positions

adjust for the difference between the board’s alignment and your ship’s / plane centerline

tada heading from GNSS, congrats on spending 9k on something a $1 compass can do

nb: this is not at all what fishmech was describing, the board or piece of steel or whatever linking the two antennas is very important

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would just like to point out that I recognize that fishmech thinks they are winning here by getting other people riled up, a la "jokes on them I was only pretending" comic, but I genuinely do enjoy talking about navigational nitpicks like this because they come up a lot as I'm learning to fly planes so it's all cool

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
a sustained fishmeching, going for the record

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

⭐️

this is your only good post

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
loving christ I’ll check in in another 5 pages or so

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I would just like to point out that I recognize that fishmech thinks they are winning here by getting other people riled up, a la "jokes on them I was only pretending" comic, but I genuinely do enjoy talking about navigational nitpicks like this because they come up a lot as I'm learning to fly planes so it's all cool

dude let’s be friend and sperg out about navigation

how do you feel about sight reduction tables?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

graph posted:

⭐️

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

dude let’s be friend and sperg out about navigation

how do you feel about sight reduction tables?

I've never actually done celestial navigation because I'm only qualified to fly in the day, but it seems like a super cool thing to learn. my uncle was a navigator in the Air Force and he had to learn how to fly by the stars. Super badass

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph posted:

⭐️

time to update my linkedin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I've never actually done celestial navigation because I'm only qualified to fly in the day, but it seems like a super cool thing to learn. my uncle was a navigator in the Air Force and he had to learn how to fly by the stars. Super badass

meh. just use the powder of sympathy imo.