Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

Holy orders only fight enemies with a different religion.

For Christian holy orders this includes other branches of Christianity (eg. Knights Templar won't fight Orthodox enemies). They will fight heretics, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For Christian holy orders this includes other branches of Christianity (eg. Knights Templar won't fight Orthodox enemies). They will fight heretics, though.

C'mon paradox where's my fourth crusade

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gaius Marius posted:

C'mon paradox where's my fourth crusade

In Holy Fury

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-93-venetian-guile.1112235/

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

lol paradox fans:

can we sales the girls of byz as the slave?
uknow it's for the historical accuracy, venice trader and arbic rich sultan love young foreign girls.
I think we should have the prisoner sales system, like the slave market and liverpool.
and not only for the liverpool, but also venice republic, nomad government.
it's a really important income for them in the history.
the prisoner of army will become the slave, venice trader like to sale them to the arbic.
there are many serf and villein and slave at that days, that's the missing part in the game.
not all the ppl are civil and free.
so what's bothering you guys?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's amazing that despite the Latin Empire having been in game since release, they're finally getting around to adding in mechanics that might actually lead to seeing it appear dynamically in a game. Holy Fury really does feel like the DLC that wraps up all the loose ends for CK2.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ajkalan posted:

lol paradox fans:

can we sales the girls of byz as the slave?
uknow it's for the historical accuracy, venice trader and arbic rich sultan love young foreign girls.
I think we should have the prisoner sales system, like the slave market and liverpool.
and not only for the liverpool, but also venice republic, nomad government.
it's a really important income for them in the history.
the prisoner of army will become the slave, venice trader like to sale them to the arbic.
there are many serf and villein and slave at that days, that's the missing part in the game.
not all the ppl are civil and free.
so what's bothering you guys?

Yeah, there were some similar comments on the Mali Trade Route dev diary, asking to see the slave trade implemented because Mali dealt in a lot of slaves (I have no idea how accurate that is, I just knew about the gold thing)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So is my run just screwed. If I attack south Ireland I get a revolt, but if I don't do anything I get a revolt. And when I win the revolt I get another revolt.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

So is my run just screwed. If I attack south Ireland I get a revolt, but if I don't do anything I get a revolt. And when I win the revolt I get another revolt.

White peace and then plot your revenge. Cant win 100% of everything all the time

Hit the tilde key and type cash, hire mercenaries and crush everything

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
What's going on that is triggering the revolts?

Sometimes you have to deal with the root cause. If it's factions revolting, sometimes you can stab the plotters and get rid of them. Even having the 'Known Murderer' malus is better than crushing endless revolts. Also look at what they're actually revolting *for* - if it's something you can temporarily live with, maybe just surrender. Like, if it's to increase council power you may be able to deal with the council having more say in things for long enough to settle things down and then remove their rights again down the road.

If you have a particular rear end in a top hat vassal, once you get him imprisoned, just leave him there. It's always tempting to ransom them for $$$ but they're not much of a threat languishing in the dungeon. You should be able to revoke at least one of their titles after defeating them, which will reduce their threat to you. Nothing makes me feel better than turning an rear end in a top hat Duke into a Count, and then transferring his vassalage to someone else. Now he's their goddamn problem.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

evenworse username posted:

What's going on that is triggering the revolts?

Sometimes you have to deal with the root cause. If it's factions revolting, sometimes you can stab the plotters and get rid of them. Even having the 'Known Murderer' malus is better than crushing endless revolts. Also look at what they're actually revolting *for* - if it's something you can temporarily live with, maybe just surrender. Like, if it's to increase council power you may be able to deal with the council having more say in things for long enough to settle things down and then remove their rights again down the road.

If you have a particular rear end in a top hat vassal, once you get him imprisoned, just leave him there. It's always tempting to ransom them for $$$ but they're not much of a threat languishing in the dungeon. You should be able to revoke at least one of their titles after defeating them, which will reduce their threat to you. Nothing makes me feel better than turning an rear end in a top hat Duke into a Count, and then transferring his vassalage to someone else. Now he's their goddamn problem.

My people been pissed off since I had a event where a cousin was convicted of being a witch. And since he attempted to make a claim on the throne, he got burned. Got a negative status in return and they hated me ever since.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Sounds like you got 'Kinslayer', huh? Kinslayer and Tyrant are two negative status effects that you really want to avoid as much as you can because they bring a massive amount of universal hate. I only plot to kill family members if it is really, really important that they die (and, of course, once you *already have Kinslayer, well...) and definitely think twice whenever the tooltip says 'this will be regarded as tyrannical'.

Once you're in it ... again, if you're already a Tyrant you may as well max out on it. Imprison everyone and leave them there. Revoke the gently caress out of their titles, ideally giving them back out to loyalists. Executing traitors is always tempting but in this case it just replaces them with someone else who hates you. Now is not the time for external wars.

Hire mercs if you can - use loans if you gotta - to put down the revolts that are for things like kicking you off the throne and surrender to the ones that are maybe liveable. Eventually between having assholes in your dungeon and the 'crushed a major revolt' opinion modifiers things should settle a little. If you can revoke some titles and either put in Content replacements that will help, and at least temporarily landless courtiers that you throw a county on will get a +100 'granted a title' modifier. (Make sure they're not also Ambitious or Envious though)

Look at other stuff that is making specific people unhappy that you might be able to fix to pull their opinion up. If someone 'desires the county of X', sometimes it's just easier to give it to them and have them closer to being content. If you have Conclave, this may be the time when you'll need to give council seats to people you're trying to keep happy rather than picking the best stats - removing that -40 'wants to be on the council' modifier can be huge.

Every so often I do get to a point where lots of people hate me, and often times you just have to content yourself with holding things together as best you can until your heir takes over and is presumably less loathed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think part of the game is that things will go to poo poo. You're going to have an imbecilic ruler with a reagent for 80 years; you're going to have a bad string of luck and lose titles; your carefully laid plans will go to the wayside.

As long as your dynasty persists, you can claw and murder your way back to the top.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sounds like you got 'Kinslayer', huh? Kinslayer and Tyrant are two negative status effects that you really want to avoid as much as you can because they bring a massive amount of universal hate. I only plot to kill family members if it is really, really important that they die (and, of course, once you *already have Kinslayer, well...) and definitely think twice whenever the tooltip says 'this will be regarded as tyrannical'.

Once you're in it ... again, if you're already a Tyrant you may as well max out on it. Imprison everyone and leave them there. Revoke the gently caress out of their titles, ideally giving them back out to loyalists. Executing traitors is always tempting but in this case it just replaces them with someone else who hates you. Now is not the time for external wars.

Hire mercs if you can - use loans if you gotta - to put down the revolts that are for things like kicking you off the throne and surrender to the ones that are maybe liveable. Eventually between having assholes in your dungeon and the 'crushed a major revolt' opinion modifiers things should settle a little. If you can revoke some titles and either put in Content replacements that will help, and at least temporarily landless courtiers that you throw a county on will get a +100 'granted a title' modifier. (Make sure they're not also Ambitious or Envious though)

Look at other stuff that is making specific people unhappy that you might be able to fix to pull their opinion up. If someone 'desires the county of X', sometimes it's just easier to give it to them and have them closer to being content. If you have Conclave, this may be the time when you'll need to give council seats to people you're trying to keep happy rather than picking the best stats - removing that -40 'wants to be on the council' modifier can be huge.

Every so often I do get to a point where lots of people hate me, and often times you just have to content yourself with holding things together as best you can until your heir takes over and is presumably less loathed.

Yeah he also had Tyrant before I got control of him, as his brother was originally going to take over but when I help out with Scotland revolt, he gave up the throne. Probably for the best since he died young. I probably just jail them and let them lot.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

gently caress yeah i finally did it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Congrats, now enjoy your eternal hellwar with the Abbasids

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Rirse posted:

Yeah he also had Tyrant before I got control of him, as his brother was originally going to take over but when I help out with Scotland revolt, he gave up the throne. Probably for the best since he died young. I probably just jail them and let them lot.

Tyrant and Kinslayer is a rough ride, but the upside is that you can go ahead and do all sorts of horrible things without making the situation appreciably worse. Sometimes the answer to tyranny is more tyranny.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tyrant and Kinslayer is a rough ride, but the upside is that you can go ahead and do all sorts of horrible things without making the situation appreciably worse. Sometimes the answer to tyranny is more tyranny.

I threw all the council in prison and let them rot. That king ended up dying in a revolt which they were much nicer toward the next king...shame he was a idiot who I let die from food poisoning because his stats were almost all 0.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Rirse posted:

I threw all the council in prison and let them rot. That king ended up dying in a revolt which they were much nicer toward the next king...shame he was a idiot who I let die from food poisoning because his stats were almost all 0.

:crusaderkings:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, there were some similar comments on the Mali Trade Route dev diary, asking to see the slave trade implemented because Mali dealt in a lot of slaves (I have no idea how accurate that is, I just knew about the gold thing)

I don't think there was a significant slave trade from Africa to Europe during this time period. There was a slave trade in the Crimean around the tail end of this game's time period though.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Torrannor posted:

Congrats, now enjoy your eternal hellwar with the Abbasids

I already had to fight six separate wars against them in order to unite India. Pain in the rear end. Two great conquest wars and two holy wars to kick them out of the western provinces, and then two more wars in order to take back individual little baronies they had way out in the middle of India for some reason.

Now I will not stop until Mecca is conquered and converted to Hinduism or the new DLC comes out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Managed to have a fun run as the Doge of Genoa. Did a great job on my run, but when some other idiots ran it (basically didn’t feel like being Doge all the time and I had the money to buy it back whenever I wanted and a guy with better stats emerged) lose 6 wars and get absorbed into a HRE vassal. I’m in some city I control making a ton of money and not really sure what I can do, also Genoa is now technically in Tripoli. I’m Doge again, but I decided to swear fealty to the HRE cause I have no clue what to do. Also my city is in the Byzantium Empire. I know the must sound insanely confusing, and it is.

Fun times though, I really understand a lot of the mechanics more then I ever had in the past.

I guess I could let it run in the background to get the Merchant Prince Achievement then hire a ton of mercs and do something....

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 20, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hah, I was trying to use the console command to just kill off England heirs to the point they just break up, but after about 30 people they still had a ton left. At that point their ruler was a six year old girl who now promised to get marry with a cousin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In my current run, I'd totally ditch my current ruler and play as the duke of Wales if this wasn't an ironman game. A couple rulers ago, I set up a genius third son with a duchy back when I needed to delegate a bunch of counties (or maybe he was an average son who I married to a genius and produced a genius grandson?) and for a while it looked like he might inherit, but he didn't, and now he's a genius with 24 stewardship and my most loyal vassal. Already, playing a super-capable vassal is more fun than playing a dumb ruler.

Most importantly, after Scotland fell away from my rule, I thought it was just gavelkind, but it turns out it was seniority, and that means that there's no easy enforcement of a weak claim, since if you kill the adult ruler, there's another adult male. You have to keep a real eagle eye for an opportunity to attack, and my vassal goddamn found it and declared a war for his claim on Scotland. I declared right after, and now we're in a race to conquer Scotland, and he may have the edge.

Ivan Shitskin posted:

then two more wars in order to take back individual little baronies they had way out in the middle of India for some reason.

It's not one of the big features everybody is excited for, but that exclave decay is going to change everything

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I hope it will also do something about the barony-level enclaves in foreign lands.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

Hah, I was trying to use the console command to just kill off England heirs to the point they just break up, but after about 30 people they still had a ton left. At that point their ruler was a six year old girl who now promised to get marry with a cousin.

Mods?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I just want freedom from the one of each holding rule.

Let me build a glorious horse theocracy for helya already.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Strudel Man posted:

I hope it will also do something about the barony-level enclaves in foreign lands.

God I wish I could just transfer that vassalage. I don't want a barony in the HRE!

Kaza42 posted:

I've definitely made the mistake of reading too far into comments on Steam Workshop, half of them are requests/demands that the modder make/add a slavery mod, or something else that's horrible and misogynistic.

the comments on the enatic succession mod I downloaded...y i k e s

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Well it didn't matter since I ended up quitting that save after randomly losing one of my lands to England due to heir issues with it. And at that point I was just tired of them gobbling up everything.

I started a new game and tried to kill everyone off in england but it literally would make heirs out of nowhere.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

God I wish I could just transfer that vassalage. I don't want a barony in the HRE!

Pfft, what kind of feudal lord are you?

I actually don't mind owning baronies in other people's territories, but I wish there was a way to more easily spot when someone else owns baronies in your territory. It's a real pain when you're trying to form India and you think you have all the required territory but there's some foreign owned barony hiding somewhere on the subcontinent and you have to manually scour the map trying to spot the tiny icon that may blend right in with the background colours.
Either a notification along the lines of "territory not fully controlled" and then when you click on it it warps you to the affected county, or just some kind of striped overlay, like when a holding is captured in a siege, to indicate that ownership is divided.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think there was a significant slave trade from Africa to Europe during this time period. There was a slave trade in the Crimean around the tail end of this game's time period though.

Mali didn't trade slaves to Europe, they traded slaves to mine salt in Sahara and row on North African galleys.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't see much point in adding some new mechanic for this instead of leaving it abstracted away as part of trade route income and raiding loot (since you can take courtiers prisoner, you can tell yourself some of the "loot" are captives as well).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
From what I understand, the Got Land cheevo doesn’t require to start as Gotland, right? I’m going to try for Norse-East and the India one as well, so a stronger start is probably better.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fat Samurai posted:

From what I understand, the Got Land cheevo doesn’t require to start as Gotland, right? I’m going to try for Norse-East and the India one as well, so a stronger start is probably better.
Sounds like it.

From wiki:
"From 1097-1161 and from 1285-1337 the holder of Gotland is also the king of Sweden. In 1337, he is also king of Norway, needing only 7 more counties to create the empire, and having CBs on 4 right away."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Dev Diary on Saints and Venerated Ancestors for Pagan faiths that take that reformation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

loving release this already!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'd like to join this faction

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is everything I wanted from saints, and now they've even added ancestor worship as well. Holy Fury will be absolutely amazing!

Jedit posted:

This so much! I think this will be the best CK2 DLC ever, I can't wait. But we don't even have a release date! How much more can they add to Holy Fury?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

It’s doable and fun to start as Gotland and make a Scandinavian merchant empire.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is there interesting real world cases of “Impious Saints”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, it's weird to see how the people they have doing the Holy Fury showcase are, just not really good at the game?

• Locked thread