Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Seriously why don't the Switch menus have music? The Wii had fantastic eshop music, the Wii U and 3DS had season sound tracks goddamn, and the switch is just tedious silence
Nintendo went optimisation-crazy on the Switch OS to make it super-responsive. IIRC the home screen assets take up less than 1mb of memory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

I was playing FF IX before I moved to Melbourne. Now my question is should I finish it on Ps4 or start over on Switch?

Theres no release date for the Switch version other than "2019" so instead of finishing it wait 3-15 months to play a mediocre final fantasy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think they prioritized speed which I’m totally okay with. It’s nuts how fast the UI is on Switch compared to other things, especially Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo deserves more credit for that imo.

gently caress that it's 2018 and they've had three online things by now to get it right give me my beedlebeeps while browsing their games

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I hit home as a sure fire pause plus mute button. Please don't break that.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Barudak posted:

Theres no release date for the Switch version other than "2019" so instead of finishing it wait 3-15 months to play a mediocre final fantasy.

What do you find mediocre about it? I'm not really into the battle system or the card game, but the characters are fun.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

switch interface speed absolutely rules. i can just sit there going "boop ba doop" if i want music

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

MaxDuo posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue where their Switch no longer displays to the TV? Recently I went to play something and the TV stayed blank. It would recognize the dock was sending something, but then just say no signal detected. I can't seem to find anything online other than "buy a new dock" or "get Nintendo to replace the dock (and maybe also fix the Switch). Would really rather not spend loving.... $60? on a new dock... but am thinking my launch Switch is probably no longer going to be covered by warranty?

You should look into cleaning your USB-C port or the USB-C nubbin in the dock. With the way USB-C is designed it's easy for dust/grime to get on the vertical surfaces in the middle without it being readily apparent. My Switch now will no longer connect to the TV nor charge from the dock. Weirdly, though, it does charge reliably from my portable power bank and also from an Apple USB-C charger. It's hell of annoying.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

alf_pogs posted:

switch interface speed absolutely rules. i can just sit there going "boop ba doop" if i want music
I can, and I do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really wish the E-Shop had like a wish list. I want to get labyrinth of refrain but not yet.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It does. Add to wishlist is the button under Buy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

I really wish the E-Shop had like a wish list. I want to get labyrinth of refrain but not yet.

It does have one. I use it frequently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It does have one. I use it frequently.

🤔🤔🤔

Uh I’ll have to check that again. I didn’t see it on the game page?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

MarcusSA posted:

🤔🤔🤔

Uh I’ll have to check that again. I didn’t see it on the game page?

It's below the Purchase button on the game page.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Can switch have 4K? Can I play smash bros in 4k

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Switch renders natively in 8k then downsamples it to 720P

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's below the Purchase button on the game page.

Oh Jesus I just saw it.

:doh:

Apparently I knew it was there before because I had a few games on there already.

double :doh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

heeheex2 posted:

Can switch have 4K? Can I play smash bros in 4k

I believe it can output 4K video but nothing supports it yet. Smash will be in 1080p.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 21, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Ok just checking here but buying any Genesis games individually on the eshop is dumb when Sega is releasing collection(s) in the future, yes?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yes unless the collections end up absolute garbage like the PC Genesis Collection.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Ok just checking here but buying any Genesis games individually on the eshop is dumb when Sega is releasing collection(s) in the future, yes?

Depends on what's important to you.

A good chunk of the SEGAAGES releases are gonna be arcade ports, which are usually gonna be better than their Genesis counterparts. And M2 is probably the best company in the business when it comes to emulation of old games from this era. Their 3DS conversions are phenomenal. Sonic 1 also adds the drop dash from Sonic Mania.

Probably best to get the Genesis collection and buy the SEGAAGES versions of games that are near and dear to you. That's gonna be my approach.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The collection is just the original ROMs thrown into an emulator. The stand-alone "Sega Ages" releases have additional content hacked into the original game code by the maniacs at M2, and probably also better emulation.

For example, Sega Ages Sonic 1 has two new moves from later games in the series, the harder arcade port of the game, a new easier difficulty setting to start each life with 10 rings instead of 0, and a couple of challenge modes with global leaderboards.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Oh, cool, thanks for the responses, the Ages releases sound great, I'm always a sucker for stuff like that.

E: sorry if this was discussed previously itt, I had to skip like 10 pages of terrible online circular arguments

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man a shooter with weapon degradation is somehow worse than fantasy

Far Cry 2- years ahead of its time?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t understand why they’re doing an SNK Collection but not including SNK’s most notable games like Metal Slug and their fighting games in it. I’d consider buying that at $40 if those were included too.

It's specifically a collection of games from the 80s. Metal Slug and SNK's fighting games were 90s to mid 2000s.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 21, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

What do you find mediocre about it? I'm not really into the battle system or the card game, but the characters are fun.

That the battle system, sidequests, and progression mechanics are weak. The rerelease helps alleviate how slow fights are but its still not “good” and from a story standpoint the games themes and pacing are all over the place and several characters getting basically no plot development or arcs.

Also the card game just sucks so bad and lies.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

I was playing FF IX before I moved to Melbourne. Now my question is should I finish it on Ps4 or start over on Switch?
Don't listen to the other losers, CP9 knows what's up. You should finish it on PS4 and then play it again on Switch.

FF9 is the best FF without competition, it is endlessly charming and bursting with personality and it shows love for the FF series and history without being obnoxioius about it. There are a few characters that are kinda eh but the rest more than make up for it, especially my #1 best bros for life Steiner and Vivi.

The loading times for battles sucked back on the PS1 but I liked the battle abilities a lot and the card game sucks compared to Triple Triad sure, but Chocobo Hot and Cold and its world class music is enough to blow any other FF's minigames out of the water.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 21, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chocobo Hot and Cold is worse than telling everyone you are Captain Bosch Fon Rosenburg of Dalmasca

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Don't Listen to Ondore's Lies!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Barudak posted:

They wrote this audio novel about that very transparently was a setup for an FFX-3 and included it in the package. It is so transparently awful SE basically doesnt mention it anymore and doesnt promote it as a feature of the X/X-2 collection.

Every single plot point they introduce is terrible, not just in a “this is a needless story” but in a “how did a ghost make a baby” kind of way. The highlight i wont bother to spoil is that the 100% X-2 ending character is like evil or something and accidentally kills himself when he kicks a bomb monster he thought was a blitzball.

Relationship ghost drama. Ghost Tidus kicks a landmine that looks like a Blitzball and dies. Wrap. Not only do you undermine the entire theme of X2 by bringing him back, you kill him in the stupidest way possible.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Chocobo Hot and Cold is worse than telling everyone you are Captain Bosch Fon Rosenburg of Dalmasca

It's no 'Look the Other Way', that's for sure

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Don't listen to the other losers, CP9 knows what's up. You should finish it on PS4 and then play it again on Switch.

FF9 is the best FF without competition, it is endlessly charming and bursting with personality and it shows love for the FF series and history without being obnoxioius about it. There are a few characters that are kinda eh but the rest more than make up for it, especially my #1 best bros for life Steiner and Vivi.

The loading times for battles sucked back on the PS1 but I liked the battle abilities a lot and the card game sucks compared to Triple Triad sure, but Chocobo Hot and Cold and its world class music is enough to blow any other FF's minigames out of the water.

Final Fantasy 9 is really cool and good but its stat growth system was bad and never explained to the player. And yeah, performance was rear end back on PSX so it gets a knock for that. Have been meaning to check out the PC version. Heard nothing but good things.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

MaxDuo posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue where their Switch no longer displays to the TV? Recently I went to play something and the TV stayed blank. It would recognize the dock was sending something, but then just say no signal detected. I can't seem to find anything online other than "buy a new dock" or "get Nintendo to replace the dock (and maybe also fix the Switch). Would really rather not spend loving.... $60? on a new dock... but am thinking my launch Switch is probably no longer going to be covered by warranty?

have you tried a different hdmi port?
i had this exact problem with my switch about 48 hours after i bought it. this is going to sound dumb and you probably already tried, but if you havent turn your tv off and on again...
and not sleep mode for your tv which a lot of new tvs default to but completely power it off.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/1042995533147648000

Nintendo Switch Online is off to a great start in China.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Meridian posted:

Final Fantasy 9 is really cool and good but its stat growth system was bad and never explained to the player. And yeah, performance was rear end back on PSX so it gets a knock for that. Have been meaning to check out the PC version. Heard nothing but good things.
I believe that about the stat growth system, but I was a very dumb child and young adult and I remain a dumb adult so I still have no idea what the stat growth system is. That aside, I still managed to play through the game and beat Ozma without much issue thanks to overleveling and GameFaqs so that sort of thing never bothered me. It's still much better than frustrating young CP9 by punishing the player for leveling up and not knowing how to exploit the rules to become OP and beat the game at like level 20 like a certain other FF I can name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

It's the only FF minigame I've ever actually liked

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Such catchy music, too.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Oh, cool, thanks for the responses, the Ages releases sound great, I'm always a sucker for stuff like that.

M2's Sega 3D Classics stuff on the 3DS was so good, it's a drat shame that Sega didn't bother bringing the last eight games in that series over to the west.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nintendo Switch Online is off to a great start in China.

It's down to China and their great firewall. Also the Communist party who hate on video games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Didn't Monster Hunter World get pulled from China because Capcom used Japanese servers or something?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It's down to China and their great firewall. Also the Communist party who hate on video games.

This is soon after China banned Twitch on the mainland. Speculation has it that their censorship game has stepped up from simply eliminating platforms after they run afoul of the regime, to eliminating platforms preemptively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

Didn't Monster Hunter World get pulled from China because Capcom used Japanese servers or something?
It got pulled from Tencent's WeGame storefront in China, allegedly due to bureaucratic infighting following recent political changes and shufflings that has resulted in a freeze on the issuing of game-publishing licenses.

• Locked thread