Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Holy poo poo not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
D&D NEXT: Dungeons & Dragons: The Fifth One: Holy poo poo not again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Holy poo poo not again.

Don't worry it's not going to happen again now.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 21, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys, I had a question

I've got a group that are going to be running an evil Campaign, but I noticed that a lot of the Downtime actions don't really have evil options, does anyone have any resources that have things like "leading a cult" as downtime options?

Crime and Pit Fighting are decent downtime actions for evil characters. But for the most part I think you have to make the rest up, as evil play is not really supported in that kind of case.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

mastershakeman posted:

This comes off as homophobic, please don't

This isn't homophobic, it's a shortened version of the common idiom 'bending over backwards'.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can we at least agree that hiring gamergaters as consultants is inexcusable

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pollyanna posted:

Can we at least agree that hiring gamergaters as consultants is inexcusable

5e came out before Gamer Gate was a thing. But other then that I agree. you should not hire gamer gate people.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crime and Pit Fighting are decent downtime actions for evil characters. But for the most part I think you have to make the rest up, as evil play is not really supported in that kind of case.

The topic is now "Cool poo poo that Evil characters can do but not in a way that's overly disruptive, just cool evil poo poo to do"

Organized bet fixing. Set up an illegal boxing ring or something, start fixing matches. You tell me Brick Top wasn't the best loving thing.

edit: Are there rules for pig farming?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
stand on a corner and look menacing at children and old people
demand protection money from local shopkeepers
poison local wells for your undead army

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 21, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The topic is now "Cool poo poo that Evil characters can do but not in a way that's overly disruptive, just cool evil poo poo to do"

Organized bet fixing. Set up an illegal boxing ring or something, start fixing matches. You tell me Brick Top wasn't the best loving thing.

I think Pig Farming would fall under normal Work.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Gate posted:

Also, Open Hand monk is the monk that punched and kicks more than normal? Like, what else would the extra knockdown and pushes be besides extra-hard punching. Unless whoever said that meant literally having more attack rolls than other monks, but gently caress that, 4 is enough..

Nah,man. I want like... a way to make martial arts strikes against foes that miss with attacks, and a way to combo a successful martial arts hit into a round house kick targeting all nearby enemies, and a free martial arts strikes when I take the dash action, and maybe a way when I hit 3 martial arts strikes in a round, I get a free martial arts strike. And maybe instead of picking a lock, I can Iron Fist it to smithereens, and instead of a dex save on a spell, I can spin kick the fireball to reflect it, and maybe I can can make a martial arts roll instead of Cha roll for intimidation, performance, and persuasion checks.

Basically I just want to punch and/or kick as the solution to every problem.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Have none of you guys played a Yakuza game?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Have none of you guys played a Yakuza game?
A Bicycle would be a 3d6 at minimum.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Re-selling stolen wagons
Extorting protection money
Bootlegging alcohol
Providing high-interest loans
Producing and distributing iconography of prohibited gods
Running a gambling den
Mail fraud

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Toshimo posted:

Nah,man. I want like... a way to make martial arts strikes against foes that miss with attacks, and a way to combo a successful martial arts hit into a round house kick targeting all nearby enemies, and a free martial arts strikes when I take the dash action, and maybe a way when I hit 3 martial arts strikes in a round, I get a free martial arts strike. And maybe instead of picking a lock, I can Iron Fist it to smithereens, and instead of a dex save on a spell, I can spin kick the fireball to reflect it, and maybe I can can make a martial arts roll instead of Cha roll for intimidation, performance, and persuasion checks.

Basically I just want to punch and/or kick as the solution to every problem.

Oh, well, you want martial characters to be good. We all do. But it's never going to happen unless Mearls gets kicked off the case, and he won't since 5e is financially successful.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
4e power point classes were really a tragic waste of opportunity. If they'd made your power points be per-day rather than per-encounter, or if it was encounter rather than at-will powers that got power pointed, it would've avoided the lovely situation the paradigm ended up with.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Pig Farming would fall under normal Work.

I'd send you a PM, but you don't have the access. It's a reference to a movie called Snatch, which has a lot to do with bare-knuckle boxing and pig farms.

edit: I had a link to the scene, but it's really better to see the entire movie to go with it.

Ferrinus posted:

4e power point classes were really a tragic waste of opportunity. If they'd made your power points be per-day rather than per-encounter, or if it was encounter rather than at-will powers that got power pointed, it would've avoided the lovely situation the paradigm ended up with.

The unified resource system in 4e was what made a lot of it work. Everyone had at-wills, encounters and dailies, and so they were all measured against each other. In 5e, for example, the Champion Fighter is held up as "Sure, he doesn't have spells, but he can do this ALL DAY", even though the champion fighter is outshone (dps-wise, which is kinda what the champion has) by the Battlemaster's (kinda) encounter-based resources. In 4e, each class is affected about the sameish by an unusually short and an unusually long adventuring day. I'd argue that the lack of significant tactical decisions on the part of the Champion fighter should be reason to make it DPS king, and basically blow away everyone else in sustained DPS, because other classes have the capacity to decide exactly when to have a spike in power. A Champion crit should hit so hard that the enemy explodes, damaging every bad guy in a 50 foot radius. The more overkill, the bigger the explosion. THAT'll solve the whole "critting the dude who has 1 hp" problem.

The only way I can think of to make power points work, and I believe this is a bad idea, is to give them the capacity to mix and match daily abilities whenever they want... with the caveat that their daily attacks are unusually weak. Increased tactical flexibility in exchange for less power. But that's not a great idea, and I wouldn't want it in 4e. I also wouldn't want power points in 4e at all.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Gate posted:

Oh, well, you want martial characters to be good. We all do. But it's never going to happen unless Mearls gets kicked off the case, and he won't since 5e is financially successful.

man financial success has very little to do with firing at wizards

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'd send you a PM, but you don't have the access. It's a reference to a movie called Snatch, which has a lot to do with bare-knuckle boxing and pig farms.

edit: I had a link to the scene, but it's really better to see the entire movie to go with it.

Oh ok. Don't watch too many movies.

And I don't have PM's because SA refuses to take paypal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
paypal screwed over lowtax back in the day so it won't happen !!

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh ok. Don't watch too many movies.

And I don't have PM's because SA refuses to take paypal.

I guess I'll be the one to ruin the surprise but the long and short of it is that there's a scene where a guy talks at length about the proper procedure for disposing a dead body by feeding it to pigs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

The whole "Pathfinder finally started beating 4e in sales" trope happened after Mike Mearls was given the reins of the edition. He made it so bad that D&D finally had a credible competitor (which then people project out to the whole edition being a tire fire).

Anyway, my point is that Mearls not only managed to keep his job despite sinking the thing he was in charge of, he was also given direction of the edition after that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lightrook posted:

I guess I'll be the one to ruin the surprise but the long and short of it is that there's a scene where a guy talks at length about the proper procedure for disposing a dead body by feeding it to pigs.
Pack of hungry pigs is the easy part. The hard part will be getting the substitutes for a stun gun, plastic bag, and roll of tape. I'm sure the spell table can provide as usual.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Big leather game bag, length of rope, sap.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gharbad the Weak posted:

At present the current team is:

Johan, a High Elven wizard obsessed with extending his already very long life
Lethe, a depressed Blood hunter who killed her village and is looking to redeem herself
Aran, a fire genasi who sold his soul to Gra'azt and is planning on becoming his right hand man.
Rylovir, a Bregan Daerthe drow rogue who wants to get rich or die trying
Sister Patience, a dragon born cleric of ambition who wants to betray her own god.

So I was thinking things like: Running grifts as Sister Patience, research and development in ancient tombs for Johan (which is relatively easy to adapt), Lethe doing training or beating people up in alleys (pit fighting rules), Aran running a cult and Rylo'vir doing spy master stuff.

The problem is thht I can adapt some of them but not all of them, do they sound like good options?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Razorwired posted:

Big leather game bag, length of rope, sap.

Also some of the essential elements you need to kill Elminster:

1st invitational kill elminster thread on rpg.net posted:

Mr Adventurer

D&D is all about party play, folks.

Human Wizard 15
Human Cleric 15
Half-Elf Bard 15
Half-Ogre Barbarian 8/Reaping Mauler 5

The Bard tracks down Elminster by using kick-rear end social fu, possibly actually joining the Harpers as part of his awesome ruse. Alternatively, just live in Shadowdale and wait.

The Wizard Magic Jars himself into the Half-Ogre Reaping Mauler. He then casts Anitmagic Field. The Field suppresses the Magic Jar spell, and everyone's souls go back into their proper bodies. You now have a big wrestling guy with an Antimagic Field.

The Wizard also has the Craft Contingent Spell feat, and crafts himself a Contingent Antimagic Field with the trigger "when I am within 10' of Elminster".

The Half-Ogre Reaping Mauler and the Cleric charge at Elminster. Elminster goes "hah, puny mortals" and gets ready to fight. Maybe he has an Arcane Sight active, and sees the Antimagic Fields, and so readies to use his Silver Fire ability.

The Bard uses a Scroll of Mordenkainen's Disjunction on Elminster just before his friend's Antimagic Fields cover him.

Before getting near to Elminster, the Cleric stops and readies an action to cast Antimagic Field on himself with the trigger "if Elminster is not within an antimagic field", including a five-foot step or a crafted Contingent Dimension Door "when I click my tongue".

The Wizard waits a few hundred feet away, with a readied action to Greater Teleport himself within 10' of Elminster with the trigger "if Elminster dispels the Cleric's Anitmagic Field".

One way or another, Elminster is stuck inside an Antimagic Field while the Half-Ogre twists him into a knot.

Now comes the clever part. The Half-Ogre purposefully deals only subdual damage and only uses the Reaping Mauler's Sleeper Hold ability. Once Elminster is unconscious, the Cleric commands a normal, human zombie which he created earlier. The zombie is armed with a Huge sap +1 (so it goes from a light weapon to a two-handed weapon, and deals 2d6 points of subdual damage on each hit with -4 to hit, and an additional -4 to hit for the zombie's nonproficiency).

The Bard strips Elminster totally naked. Then he equips him with a Ring of Sustenance and an Amulet of Adaptation. He then opens his Portable Hole and kicks Elminster's unconscious body into it. The Cleric commands the zombie into the hole, and then commands it to continuously Coup de Grace Elminster with the sap (a Coup de Grace automatically hits and is automatically a critical hit, so that every round Elminster is taking an additional 4d6+4 points of subdual damage).

Rolling the Portable Hole up, the Bard places it into a small lead chest. The lead chest is then placed into a second Portable Hole. The Bard then flies overhead while everyone else backs off, and drops a Bag of Holding into the second, open Portable Hole.

From the SRD:
Quote Originally Posted by SRD
If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost.
So there you have it. Elminster is stuck forever, unaging, not needing air or sustenance, and accruing subdual damage for the rest of time, inside a Portable Hole inside a small lead box inside a Portable Hole that is "lost forever".

Lol i'd forgotten quite what a douche the op of that thread was

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The unified resource system in 4e was what made a lot of it work. Everyone had at-wills, encounters and dailies, and so they were all measured against each other. In 5e, for example, the Champion Fighter is held up as "Sure, he doesn't have spells, but he can do this ALL DAY", even though the champion fighter is outshone (dps-wise, which is kinda what the champion has) by the Battlemaster's (kinda) encounter-based resources. In 4e, each class is affected about the sameish by an unusually short and an unusually long adventuring day. I'd argue that the lack of significant tactical decisions on the part of the Champion fighter should be reason to make it DPS king, and basically blow away everyone else in sustained DPS, because other classes have the capacity to decide exactly when to have a spike in power. A Champion crit should hit so hard that the enemy explodes, damaging every bad guy in a 50 foot radius. The more overkill, the bigger the explosion. THAT'll solve the whole "critting the dude who has 1 hp" problem.

The only way I can think of to make power points work, and I believe this is a bad idea, is to give them the capacity to mix and match daily abilities whenever they want... with the caveat that their daily attacks are unusually weak. Increased tactical flexibility in exchange for less power. But that's not a great idea, and I wouldn't want it in 4e. I also wouldn't want power points in 4e at all.
I think Ferrinus has the right of it. If you look past the formula, the actual effect of the 4E structure is that each turn you're balancing the pros of playing a particular power now vs the cons of not being able to use it later. This was kept fresh by unlocking new and more powerful things to choose between, sometimes replacing old ones. Where the psionic classes fell down were that 1) you rarely levelled into new things, because you were mostly going back to the same pool of at-wills, so you probably had the best ones from level 1 on and 2) there was nothing to encourage you to use your other abilities once you'd discovered one of them was "best" (observant people will note these same problems with the battlemaster). One solution to both of these would be switching from boosting at-wills to boosting encounters. You can't use (and therefore can't boost) the same encounter more than once per encounter, and you level into new encounters every few levels. Keep dailies, have the unboosted encounter powers be a little weaker than standard, and have the boosted versions be a decent bit stronger than average (depending on how many power points you get).

Of course, you could probably do all of the above by creative use of per-encounter minor actions that boost powers cast during the same turn.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 21, 2018

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
We just started Dragon Heist earlier this week and it has been a huge success so far. I am running the game for four friends. One is a member of the Zhentarim and another is a member of The Xanathar Guild. Both factions feature prominently at least in the early part of the adventure. It's been a lot of fun coming up with ways for them to get information from their network without revealing themselves to the party. Also having the Zhent agent give the Zhent password to the Zhent safehouse (which was occupied by Xanathar thug Kenku) was hilarious. If you're DMing a group you trust can handle Getting On The Helicopter, pushing a couple of your players to start as low level thugs of opposing criminal factions sure has proven interesting for us.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a (what I think is) cool idea for a character. Is a Monk/Cleric multiclass viable?

Bogan Krkic posted:

Providing high-interest loans

Providing student loans
Running a college’s financial department
Being Betsy deVos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

privatized control of the means of production
rent-seeking
usury
financialization

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Running for political office.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

/\/\/\/\
dentistry and drug dealing.

Pollyanna posted:

I have a (what I think is) cool idea for a character. Is a Monk/Cleric multiclass viable?

While they each key off of Wisdom, I'd want to know what kind of monk and what domain for the cleric? I suspect that at higher levels the synergy gain isn't worth the loss in high level spells for the cleric or the lack of ki points available for the monk.

I'd think in a low-mid level campaign in a party without a cleric it could be useful.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

privatized control of the means of production
rent-seeking
usury
financialization

Reposession
Forclosure

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

mango sentinel posted:

Reposession
Forclosure

In a way this is all DnD parties

makes u think

head58
Apr 1, 2013

How is Dragon Heist if you (both the DM and the players) are completely unfamiliarity Waterdeep/Forgotten Realms? Is it all just impenetrable lore-wise?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Pollyanna posted:

That's such an open-ended question.

What's the idea? What kind of split? You could dip two Cleric levels after Monk 5 or 6 to get the 2nd level domain abilities and a couple spells, then go back to Monk. Monk dip on primarily Cleric makes little sense, though.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Whelp so what i've read from this thread...is dnd 5th edition worth it? i'm at a online game and it's...fine. (would kill to play it IRL, though)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Fruity20 posted:

Whelp so what i've read from this thread...is dnd 5th edition worth it? i'm at a online game and it's...fine. (would kill to play it IRL, though)

It's serviceable and its large marketshare facilitates finding groups. There are better systems for whatever it is you want to do with it, including systems that are essentially 5e but better, but those are its selling points.

At the very least, it's not a nearly unplayable dumpsterfire like 3.5/Pathfinder.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

clusterfuck posted:

While they each key off of Wisdom, I'd want to know what kind of monk and what domain for the cleric? I suspect that at higher levels the synergy gain isn't worth the loss in high level spells for the cleric or the lack of ki points available for the monk.

I'd think in a low-mid level campaign in a party without a cleric it could be useful.

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's such an open-ended question.

What's the idea? What kind of split? You could dip two Cleric levels after Monk 5 or 6 to get the 2nd level domain abilities and a couple spells, then go back to Monk. Monk dip on primarily Cleric makes little sense, though.

Fantasy miko, i.e. a fantastical and non-realistic version of a Japanese shrine maiden. Some sort of Taoist/Shinto syncretism is what I’m thinking of - Monk for the Taoist lean and the physical/quanfa half, Cleric for the Shinto lean and the spiritual/animist-kami half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's serviceable and its large marketshare facilitates finding groups. There are better systems for whatever it is you want to do with it, including systems that are essentially 5e but better, but those are its selling points.

At the very least, it's not a nearly unplayable dumpsterfire like 3.5/Pathfinder.

more or less, the skyrim of the dnd franchise? it's basically begging to be homebrewed. but how is it that pathfinder is unplayable? it looks pretty good and a few friends of mine loved the game. though, i can understand the rule heavy system isn't to everyone's taste. i'm more rules medium to light kind of gal.