Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

Maybe that’s because the Midwest is a geographic concept despite your desperate attempts at turning it into some elitist shot at poor rural people?

ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Buffalo and Rochester are on a Great Lake, which is something

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tractor fanatic posted:

Buffalo and Rochester are on a Great Lake, which is something

Oh, is that what I've been smelling all these years?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I missed American chat but I think you should use the Australian term "Seppo," which evolved from septic tank.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I missed American chat but I think you should use the Australian term "Seppo," which evolved from septic tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppo_K%C3%A4%C3%A4ri%C3%A4inen

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Please

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Squalid posted:

lol, where are you getting this data?

http://worldmap.harvard.edu/maps/2962/ and https://worldmap.harvard.edu/maps/chinaX have a whole bunch online

and there's tons more data that I haven't really figured out how to make sense of here: https://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chgis/data/chgis/v6/

relatedly, here's a map of the Central Plains vaguely around the time of the Qin Dynasty (that I haven't finished):

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Feels a bit weird to list Royal Dutch Shell, a company still primarily headquartered in The Hague, as just a British company despite the large amount of British ownership.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is it just me or does the Chinese symbol not appear on the map?

And what does "persistent colonial influence" actually mean? South Africa wasn't much of a colony since well before WW2.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eh, there was technical independence, but there were enough Anglo-Africans who signed up for WW2, and black South Africans who one way or another got signed up for WW2, that it was still clearly under imperial influence.

The 1948 election of the National Party and the 1960 referendum to implement their even worse ideas would be the points where I'd say there was no longer persistent colonial influence.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
E: checked my facts, I was wrong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

E: checked my facts, I was wrong.

Excuse me this is D&D, we don't allow this sort of thing here.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Excuse me this is D&D, we don't allow this sort of thing here.
But this is the map thread we can be chill here, can't we?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Count Roland posted:

And what does "persistent colonial influence" actually mean? South Africa wasn't much of a colony since well before WW2.

In the case of France and for sub-Saharan Africa it means they still all but own your rear end. See: https://thisisafrica.me/france-loots-former-colonies/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

In the case of France and for sub-Saharan Africa it means they still all but own your rear end. See: https://thisisafrica.me/france-loots-former-colonies/

Yeah I know France routinely sends troops/bombs to many of its former colonies. That's why I found it weird South Africa was apparently being lumped into the same category.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More interesting is how Mozambique isn't in the British zone of influence, they were never in the Empire, but they asked to join the Commonwealth and basically tie their development goals to decision making groups that have 'former British colony' as their common history.

That sounds closer to a British influence than whatever they're alleging is happening in Somaliland.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It looks like it wasn't attempting to make those influence borders any deeper or more accurate than "former Empire, greatest extent (+ Libya).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wasn't this very idea brought up in the thread recently?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah but remember:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Count Roland posted:

time worked like this in premodern Japan. Well not every day and night, but each season had different hours. There's some pretty neat clocks from the Meiji period where the mechanisms are accounting for that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Guavanaut posted:

More interesting is how Mozambique isn't in the British zone of influence, they were never in the Empire, but they asked to join the Commonwealth and basically tie their development goals to decision making groups that have 'former British colony' as their common history.

That sounds closer to a British influence than whatever they're alleging is happening in Somaliland.

It's not all that surprising regarding Mozambique, just look at a map of former colonial possessions. They're entirely surrounded (land wise) by former British holdings. It's the kind of move that theoretically I guess better integrates them with the neighborhood economically and so on.

As for Somaliland, it was also a former British colony. The rest of Somalia was Italian.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Count Roland posted:

The apartheid government was a colonial-settler state even after it left the commonwealth, and depending on what one means by colonial influence: most of the resources are still in the hands of the colonizers today.

Zimbabwe seems a little weirder, not sure what the criteria are for that, but if it somehow still qualifies then SA would under the same metric.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

http://worldmap.harvard.edu/maps/2962/ and https://worldmap.harvard.edu/maps/chinaX have a whole bunch online

and there's tons more data that I haven't really figured out how to make sense of here: https://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chgis/data/chgis/v6/

relatedly, here's a map of the Central Plains vaguely around the time of the Qin Dynasty (that I haven't finished):

This is a funny site. It looks like some department head made his grad students post all the data, but they got lazy and hosed up the metadata the data dictionary. Still, it's got a lot of good stuff. Just playing around in the browser I put this map of commerce in the Ming Empire together real quick, before the layers all broke:

Trade and piracy in southeast Ming China.

Polygons
pink-grey: zone of coastal trade during Ming

Lines
Green: Ming Courier/mail routes (correspond to important roads)
Blue: Course of the Yellow River 1368-1855
Pink dashed: Grand Canal (partially concealed by courier routes, I couldn't change layer order)

purple: Wokou pirate havens
Yellow-red: Portuguese trading post
black square: Dutch trading post
Blue square: Nagasaki (primary Japanese trade depot from 1571

edit:
The last link you posted mostly just seems to be the same files set up for easy access and downloading without having to use the map interface. Though it also has some weird time series data of provincial level divisions from the Spring and Autumn period forward. It mostly just has points for them though, and doesn't indicate the level of governance so its not that interesting. It seems to be missing data from another related layer with the polygon boundaries, but that doesn't seem to be available. Metadata/ data dictionary is a hot mess so its hard to tell what they were going for.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 25, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That’s the 6th release I linked to, apparently the 4th has better documentation (and maybe the missing files). I can link to it tomorrow if it’s hard to find.

Also what’s wrong with the metadata in the online one (also is it the first or second link, or both, that’s bad)? I’m still new to the world of GIS so I totally missed that. I have some other sources of county locations that have been matching up when I check them though, although their placement for some layers like the tribes are pretty inaccurate or at least overly vague.

E: I’m using the ancient data for a project so I would prefer it to not be wrong :v:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The metadata is just information about the layers themselves, generally stored in txt or xml file that comes with the other files. If you want to be all professional-like you make sure the metadata stores information like the data source, projection, authors, updates, resolution, and intended purpose.

The files on that site have extremely inconsistent metadata which doesn't necessarily mean it has errors or other problems, it just makes it harder to interpret. Unless it really matters if points have a locational precision of 1 meter or 100 m, the absence of good metadata probably isn't important for your project.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Count Roland posted:

I championed it in the Spaceflight Thread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grape posted:

It's not all that surprising regarding Mozambique, just look at a map of former colonial possessions. They're entirely surrounded (land wise) by former British holdings. It's the kind of move that theoretically I guess better integrates them with the neighborhood economically and so on.

As for Somaliland, it was also a former British colony. The rest of Somalia was Italian.
Yeah but the map has Mozambique as not having "persistent colonial influence", which while it doesn't have a colonial history it does have persisting influence from former British colonies in the area as a Commonwealth member.

Meanwhile Namibia was never a direct British colony, it was German, then South African, then there was that whole war, then independent, and yet that gets "persistent colonial influence" from Britain even when it was being held against its will by a state that was suspended from the Commonwealth.

And I'm not sure what influence Britain thinks they have in Somaliland, I thought they abandoned the whole area decades ago, while some of the people living there keep saying "hey, come be a soft power over here again so we can have our independence from Somalia respected."

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but the map has Mozambique as not having "persistent colonial influence", which while it doesn't have a colonial history it does have persisting influence from former British colonies in the area as a Commonwealth member.

Meanwhile Namibia was never a direct British colony, it was German, then South African, then there was that whole war, then independent, and yet that gets "persistent colonial influence" from Britain even when it was being held against its will by a state that was suspended from the Commonwealth.

And I'm not sure what influence Britain thinks they have in Somaliland, I thought they abandoned the whole area decades ago, while some of the people living there keep saying "hey, come be a soft power over here again so we can have our independence from Somalia respected."

The map is an attempt to blame everything on the British and French by implying that Royal Dutch Shell is a modern-day East India Company whilst deflecting attention from most (all?) of Africa's current woes being due to rampant unchecked capitalism. It is vitally important that we don't acknowledge that because that's something we could actually Do Something About. It's far cheaper to just apologise and maybe throw half a dozen scholarships at the entire continent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It also seems to be there to exonerate China, because they put an icon for the country in the key, but then conspicuously don't use it anywhere.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I championed it in the Spaceflight Thread.

Ah, yes of course. I'm glad there's some nerd overlap between these threads.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The reason why Rwanda isn't shaded in blue, of course, is because Mitterand gave soft support to the Interahamwe during the Rwandan genocide because he thought (not unreasonably) that Kagame and the RPF were getting soft support from Britain.

Basically, gently caress colonialism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's because Rwanda and Burundi were awarded to Belgium after the Great War and the map maker didn't give a poo poo about the circumstances in any individual country beyond "was this part of french or british empire"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
On a semi-related note I just read the other day that back in April the king of Swaziland declared the country's name to now be eSwatini, in part to forget about its colonial history (but also in part to distract from the crippling poverty and horrible economy)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

duckmaster posted:

The map is an attempt to blame everything on the British and French by implying that Royal Dutch Shell is a modern-day East India Company whilst deflecting attention from most (all?) of Africa's current woes being due to rampant unchecked capitalism. It is vitally important that we don't acknowledge that because that's something we could actually Do Something About. It's far cheaper to just apologise and maybe throw half a dozen scholarships at the entire continent.

lol that's a scorching hot take
"POST-COLONIAL THEORY IS CAPITALIST PROPAGANDA"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

HookShot posted:

On a semi-related note I just read the other day that back in April the king of Swaziland declared the country's name to now be eSwatini, in part to forget about its colonial history (but also in part to distract from the crippling poverty and horrible economy)

Before I read about this, I thought he was a crazy person who named the country "electronic Swatini".

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Grape posted:

lol that's a scorching hot take
"POST-COLONIAL THEORY IS CAPITALIST PROPAGANDA"

Obviously that's not what I'm saying here - or it might be, because I'm not sure what you're saying here.

The point I'm making is that the map is implying that these companies are working in tandem with or on behalf of the governments of the countries which used to control them (i.e. Britain or France) which leads to the obvious conclusion that those governments are continuing to control those countries. The fact of it is that these are multi-national corporations and the days of a BP executive sitting in a smoke-filled office in Whitehall receiving instructions from a British government civil servant are long gone. These companies work for their shareholders now, and neither the executives nor those shareholders could give two flying shits about how their decision making affects the current or future prosperity of the country their company is headquartered in.

The danger is that a lot of these shareholders - many of which are huge companies with interests in investment, insurance etc - find it very convenient when people correlate BPs actions with those of the British government specifically (or 'The British Institution' in general) because it keeps the heat off of them. In other words, it's much easier to think British Petroleum = A Tool Of The British Government and appropriate blame and criticism accordingly than it is to think Beyond Petroleum Plc = Owned By Investment Banks and Insurance Companies That I Might Be A Customer Of, Oh poo poo and face up to the fact that we might actually all be part of the problem and can't just blame it on the Redcoats or something.

BP themselves helped further this idea after Deepwater Horizon in 2010; Obama kept referring to the company as 'British Petroleum' despite the fact they'd rebranded themselves to Beyond Petroleum in 2001. Even more tellingly they'd actually stopped being British Petroleum in 1998 when they merged with Amoco (an American company) and became BP Amoco. That disaster was on a rig run by mostly Americans, in American waters, following American safety standards, but Obama managed to deflect the blame onto 'British Petroleum'; who were quite happy for him to do because it then deflected the blame off their own shareholders and somehow onto Britain.

Anyway I'm rambling now. Vive la revolution.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Managers in London certainly played an important role in causing the Macondo disaster.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh, I doubt BP was ever actually taking instructions from Whitehall in the first place anyway if anything it was the other way around even during the colonial period. I think there is a fair point to say that multi-nationals, while they have no loyalty to any state, nevertheless will take advantage of colonial legacies to gain further advantage. Nevertheless, this advantage is obviously eroding.

Also, the map is obviously incomplete/out of date: Sinopec, CNPC an CNOOC all have operations across Africa at this point.

quote:

In the 2000s China set out to diversify its natural resources imports and ensure energy security amid rapid growth. By 2014, Sinopec alone was active in 16 African countries— Algeria, Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Libya, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Sudan, South Sudan and Tunisia. CNPC is currently active in Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Sudan, and South Sudan; and CNOOC has interests in Gabon, Uganda, Nigeria, Algeria, and Republic of the Congo.

https://africaoilandpower.com/2017/07/13/china-makes-inroads-into-african-energy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Right they’re based out of Canary Wharf not Whitehall. :v: