Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

There's been a very long argument that PSU shouldn't have armed police on campus, and today they murdered someone https://twitter.com/shanedkavanaugh/status/1012724281271201792
Predictably, the campus police won't be seen in court https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2...erful-tortoise/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1040262077762494464 One drop rule is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1040262077762494464 One drop rule is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

We are all african or Asian if u think about it.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

anthonypants posted:

Predictably, the campus police won't be seen in court
Here's why police almost never face justice when they murder innocent people - https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/radiolab-presents-more-perfect-mr-graham-reasonable-man/

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

porkface posted:

Here's why police almost never face justice when they murder innocent people - https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/radiolab-presents-more-perfect-mr-graham-reasonable-man/

Could you summarize?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really wonder how much longer this poo poo can go on in this country before people start seeking other forms of justice for these murderers. I don't mean random cop killings, I mean specific targeted acts.

Like my guess is that Darren Wilson is probably being kept locked in a safe house 23 hours a day from Blue Lives Matter welfare or something.

Not advocating anything illegal, just speculating on what it will take for something to spark.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Nothing will “spark” this poo poo’s a century old at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eggnogium posted:

Nothing will “spark” this poo poo’s a century old at least.

Yeah but a century ago there weren't smartphones and social media. Way more people are aware of this poo poo now vs even twenty years ago. And more people are being made aware every day.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

There’s a pretty significant portion of the population that sees cops mowing people down in the street as “good.” They justify it by saying anyone who was shot probably deserved it, and it would never happen to them/anyone they know because they don’t deserve it. It’s the republican ethos with some prosperity gospel applied to organized killings. Nothing is going to happen. Sadly.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SaturdayKnight posted:

There’s a pretty significant portion of the population that sees cops mowing people down in the street as “good.” They justify it by saying anyone who was shot probably deserved it, and it would never happen to them/anyone they know because they don’t deserve it. It’s the republican ethos with some prosperity gospel applied to organized killings. Nothing is going to happen. Sadly.
Mao Was Right

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think cop shows broke a lot of minds. The first step in police reform is probably getting Law and Order off continuous syndication.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think cop shows broke a lot of minds. The first step in police reform is probably getting Law and Order off continuous syndication.

I 100% believe this. My mom who would otherwise be lefter than most of d and d is a big time cop lover because of 30+ years of cop fiction. It's insidious how she doesn't even realize how like everything she thinks she knows about policing is from that kind of hosed up propaganda.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Yeah but a century ago there weren't smartphones and social media. Way more people are aware of this poo poo now vs even twenty years ago. And more people are being made aware every day.

The Rodney King riots were basically the last time we cared as a society, now it's just normal to see police kill people. Previous to Rodney King they used to argue that it wasn't happening, now the argument is that they deserve it.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

ElCondemn posted:

Could you summarize?

I can try but it's been a year. Basically SCOTUS decided that context doesn't matter when evaluating guilt in police shootings. The court can only evaluate the split second when the cop makes the determination to use force. A cop can come into a peaceful situation yelling and can do all kinds of illegal poo poo to escalate and threaten someone's life, but the minute it's even perceived someone reached for a pocket or held an object the cops can murder them without consequence. The case was Graham vs Connor, and while those weren't the exact circumstances, that's the impact of the ruling and it's why the only time a cop is found guilty is when video shows the victim is running in the opposite direction with zero chance of them being a threat to anyone else.

To be honest that's probably a terrible summary and the story and facts of the case are far more interesting. If you can't spare an hour (or play at 1.5x) then I'm guessing this issue doesn't really impact you.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Disarm first responders.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

porkface posted:

Disarm first responders.

This is what I keep saying but people keep acting like I'm saying something crazy or ridiculous. On this very forum I've had arguments where people refused to acknowledge that it's possible to have a system where you have special teams "like swat teams" that can respond to incidents that require use of deadly force.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 16, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just abolish the police imo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

porkface posted:

Disarm first responders.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/HRC/status/9226...ingawful.com%2F

I'm gonna puke now.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

:homebrew:

:capitalism:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

It’s last year.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

That's not a real organization.

It may have been, but it's not anymore.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
HRC has always been a front group for corporate philanthropic PR.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't matter if you're straight or LGBTQA+, you'll all be peeing in a bottle #equality

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

seiferguy posted:

It doesn't matter if you're straight or LGBTQA+, you'll all be peeing in a bottle #equality

The piss tape is real.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

HRC has always been a front group for corporate philanthropic PR.

I've always kind of assumed it was an intentional backronym to mainly support Hillary Clinton so I was surprised when they didn't go away after 2017 but I guess I never paid too much attention to them because they always came across as pink-washy to me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1042123374049165312

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Predictably, the campus police won't be seen in court https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2...erful-tortoise/
https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/1042468906563063808

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lol, 17 shots. It's a miracle that only one person was shot. Nine times

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
9/17 on center mass is a failure on most shoot tests I've seen/taken. I guess campus cops have it easier?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

9/17 on center mass is a failure on most shoot tests I've seen/taken. I guess campus cops have it easier?

Only slightly better than the NYPD on the Diallo shooting, and that one had people making jokes about NYPD cops shooting poorly for a really long time.

cameron.steene
Jan 14, 2007

GodFish posted:

My hot take, the PNW is better than non-PNW sections of the US because we didn't vote for Trump, thus proving our moral and intellectual superiority for all time fart

Trump is the best thing that has ever happened to this country.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

cameron.steene posted:

Trump is the best thing that has ever happened to this country.

Hi welcome to the thread, we're 126 pages and almost 2 years further along now, I hope you'll join us here in the bright future of 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you mean in terms of mobilizing actual resistance to militant capitalism and shining a death ray spotlight on how truly horrible this country really is, he’s pretty swell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sorry for the Reddit link, but...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/...utm_term=9hbpk6

Son of a bitch

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Can you give me the gist of it?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

George posted:

Can you give me the gist of it?

The title was "I found the precise borders of the liberal bubble of Seattle" with this image:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love Dairy Queen so much. Please tell me that there isn't some reason I can't drive out of my way to have blizzards anymore

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There used to be a DQ in the Westlake food court. I haven’t been down that way in years but I imagine it’s gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

silicone thrills posted:

I love Dairy Queen so much. Please tell me that there isn't some reason I can't drive out of my way to have blizzards anymore

I'm pretty sure it is just the fact that Seattle only wants handmade ice cream that costs $10 for approximately 2 tablespoons of asparagus and agave flavored ice cream.