Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never even considered buying GTAV lol. After 4 I decided it wasn't really something I'm interested in any more. I tried like three times to get through that game and always got bored by the second or third act.

I've never finished a single gta game but ive bought everyone on or close too release day,

Obviously its not that big a deal but it'd be like someone telling me they want to really study the history of monster movies but ignore jaws films

ignoring the last 3 might be a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I told myself I wouldn't buy GTAV on release and then that lasted like four days. This time I'm not even gonna lie to myself, heh.

I don't even like the multiplayer really, just walking around a giant single player world is great. Like, yeah, shooting guys and doing heists and flipping cars is fun, but isn't the real joy walking along the beach and hearing a bunch of random conversations and finding the human statue? I also like that it sounds as though you can actually have non-hostile interactions with NPCs, which isn't really the case in V (there actually is a button to talk to them in that game but it's to randomly insult them about 90% of the time).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I haven't liked a gta game since San Andreas

V had some fun moments, and the story pulled me in a few times, but besides the production values, little about it was great really (and it was pretty boring in places).

It was best when ripping off Heat wholesale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing about GTA looks remotely interesting to me, I played 4 for an hour or two and it was stupidly boring

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every fun or memorable moment i had in GTAIV and V happened by accident

the rest is just slogging through an achingly detailed and totally barren world populated by shitheads and designed/written by bigger shitheads

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Square just love sending the TR games out to die. The same week as Spider-Man like... what the gently caress!

It was the week after, I think, but yeah, that's exactly what happened with me: I bought both and I have yet to start Shadow. Not that it was particularly smart to buy 2 full price games in the same week, but at least I got (or at least I'm supposed to get) the 15$ in credit for preodering 2 games and the guy with whom I share my digital games pitched in for half of both (and his girlfriend really wanted Tomb Raider).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was thinking about picking up the Burnout Paradise remaster but apparently it's terrible? I saw talk that it got patched but people still complaining that it needs to be fixed without going into detail on what's actually wrong with the game. Does anyone know because I'm curious if it's majorly broken or just has some small niggles that aren't that big of a deal.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I get if its not your style or taste but boring? C'mon now, love island is boring, cricket is boring.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I cant think of a single videogame that bored me other than shadow of memories, that was some tedious poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

Was thinking about picking up the Burnout Paradise remaster but apparently it's terrible? I saw talk that it got patched but people still complaining that it needs to be fixed without going into detail on what's actually wrong with the game. Does anyone know because I'm curious if it's majorly broken or just has some small niggles that aren't that big of a deal.

I personally never saw any issues and had fun with it.

Also San Andreas is the best one but I’ve loved the GTA games since too. Rockstar are good and know what they’re doin

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The problem with GTA4 is what they tried to do was a gangland soap opera, not a cathartic video game. Saints Row might be dumb as all hell but it's a much more fun videogame even when it tries to be dramatic and tragic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

I get if its not your style or taste but boring? C'mon now, love island is boring, cricket is boring.

there are few games more opposed to the idea of having a good time than the last two grand theft auto titles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I liked a lot of GTAV but IV was aggressively unfun

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

there are few games more opposed to the idea of having a good time than the last two grand theft auto titles

If you can't turn on gta4 or 5 and cruise around the city just enjoying the radio stations then i dunno :shrug:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I tried GTAV. It was dull. Its good that you can enjoy it, but there have been so many games that outdo Rockstar at their own field in the last years that I just can't care over another GTA anymore.

RDR2 is interesting to me because it is a Wild West game and there aren't a lot of those but there is a lot else I'll play before I consider spending money on it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dont care about cars, do care about dem ponies. Gonna redemption and ignore all multiplayer content.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

I cant think of a single videogame that bored me other than shadow of memories, that was some tedious poo poo.

the novelty of an explorable 3D city has worn off for most people. What's left are the frequently uninteresting missions—the setup's often fine but the gameplay's uninspired.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm all in favor of games that don't just shovel cheap catharsis down my throat, but not if they're a minimum of 40 hours long and loaded with so much padding that they function better as a sleep aid

the movement is plodding, the side activities are inane, the gunplay is awkward, the story is sneering, hateful dirge

they struck gold for Red Dead Redemption because the spitefully nihilist tone they love to tout around so much is a perfect fit for the latter era of the lawless West (and the shooting was fantastic, every weapon sounded like God cracking his knuckles), but in GTA it just gets exhausting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

If you can't turn on gta4 or 5 and cruise around the city just enjoying the radio stations then i dunno :shrug:

Yeah it is good for that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gtav was novel solely because they finally had a character who acted exactly like players do when playing. Too bad you didn't get to play as him for the first third of the game

Also re 2017 vs 2018 in the One True Gaming genre (3rd person action adventure) it's
Yak 0 vs yak 6
Yak 1 vs 2
Horizon vs gow
Nier vs Spidey
Nioh vs rdr2

Can even throw in persona 5 va dqxi for y'all who are stuck in 1995 gameplay, and lost legacy is short but sweet

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but I think 2017 is gonna win out barring rdr2 rediscovering the magic

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 21, 2018

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

SUNKOS posted:

Not sure what people are talking about. It ran flawlessly for me at a constant 60fps (on a launch PS4) from what I can tell and I put a lot of hours into it.

It's more of a straight port than a full-on remaster (don't be expecting Shadow of the Colossus level improvements), I think that might be what people are complaining about. It's a 10 year old game that launched at £35, but I picked up for £11 in a sale and had a blast with it. It's way more fun than any recent racing game I've played.

MZ fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 21, 2018

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Rinkles posted:

the novelty of an explorable 3D city has worn off for most people. What's left are the frequently uninteresting missions—the setup's often fine but the gameplay's uninspired.

The gameplay for nier a was uninspired but this forum and thread has a massive erection for it :shrug:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why play GTA V when I can play Spider-Man and just swing around an awesome city, plus it has an actually good story and the protagonist isn't a piece of poo poo?

San Andreas really was the last good one.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fuzz posted:

Why play GTA V when I can play Spider-Man and just swing around an awesome city, plus it has an actually good story and the protagonist isn't a piece of poo poo?

San Andreas really was the last good one.

Trevor is cooler than Spidey

But yeah saints row 3 and 4 are the real pinnacle of GTA potential

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CrRoMa posted:

The gameplay for nier a was uninspired but this forum and thread has a massive erection for it :shrug:

Goony Japanese auteurs with an rear end fetish get a +10 weighting here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

can't comment on a game I haven't played. though I imagine Taro's writing and direction are celebrated for a reason

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
steven ogg's a good actor but trevor might have been the worst part of GTAV

motherfucker was about as funny as a root canal and the "he's just like the player!" schtick became an excuse for rockstar to not even try to bother making his character consistent

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 21, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CrRoMa posted:

That gets old pretty quickly and I can do that in many games now. I mean there's an entire genre of game for that now isn't there? Mostly for a third of the price?

quote:

The problem with GTA4 is what they tried to do was a gangland soap opera, not a cathartic video game. Saints Row might be dumb as all hell but it's a much more fun videogame even when it tries to be dramatic and tragic.

Years before I or anyone else had heard the term "ludonarrative" I remember looking at the hud while Niko was lamented how broke he is and how he has to do this and looking at the millions digit on the money counter being greater than 0

e: I don't have anything against the game or anything, it just doesn't have any appeal or interesting features to me I can think of, and that's having played way too much GTA 3 and VC.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 21, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

Goony Japanese auteurs with an rear end fetish get a +10 weighting here.

gently caress off. Seriously you are gonna start with this poo poo?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 21, 2018

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, it's a really gorgeous game honestly
Yeah it does look good I was just thinking it's got that more cartoony style that wouldn't lose as much in translation to the Switch. But with 2019 not even guaranteed it's moot.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I really enjoyed GTAV for the most part, I thought the three-protagonist switching thing was pretty cool but nobody else had the budget to even try and replicate that. The heists were awesome too.
But sure it suffers from the same "massive world but not much to do in it" problem that all these games do.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I seem to remember people being largely positive about GTA V on release but that could be 5 years of nostalgia blurring my memory. I tried to replay it a month or so ago and just couldn't get into it. Games have come a long way in 5 years I guess because everything just felt slightly off. Nothing was terrible, just off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Shindragon posted:

gently caress off. Seriously you are gonna start with this poo poo?

I'm here to make jokes and have a good time posting about games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What's wrong with liking rear end. You know what we all do in 2018 now right?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think one thing that would have helped GTAV a lot (and something I think they're doing for RDR2?) is having more random encounters that can occur.

Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and TES series also have gigantic worlds and not a lot of variety in actual gameplay, but getting around is interesting because you can never be quite sure what you'll encounter on the way there. The GTA games live and die by their missions, because the stuff surrounding it is just holding down some buttons to drive around. You know exactly what you're going to see and do whenever you aren't actively doing a story mission.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

beep by grandpa posted:

What's wrong with liking rear end. You know what we all do in 2018 now right?

Nothing wrong with it. Didnt read it in a joke tone cuz it seems everyone was going at each other throats and responded with hostility cuz I’m not a morning person. My bad tea.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tbh I think Saints Row 2's heavy, serious drama & character deaths landed way harder and were more were effective than any GTA. If you didn't feel anything when Carlos died idk what to tell you other than stay away from small children and animals.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

beep by grandpa posted:

Tbh I think Saints Row 2's heavy, serious drama & character deaths landed way harder and were more were effective than any GTA. If you didn't feel anything when Carlos died idk what to tell you other than stay away from small children and animals.

Turns out it's really hard to care about characters dying when their deaths are either treated as jokes (killing off the MC from Lost and Damned) or shrouded in such a massive cloud of cynicism that they feel unavoidable.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What games have the best butt content of the last few years? Nier: A is an obvious one. Spider-Man has some nice lean meat going on. Functional but aesthetic. Any good butt games I’m missing???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Soul Calibur is literally overflowing with rear end.