Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Randandal posted:

There may have been an intention to give Jimmy a series of failed love interests including the second-wife-that-slept-with-his-stepdad back when the show was being imagined as a comedic case-of-the-week series but then Rhea Seehorn being so good and amazing and perfect caused them to change the script.

Not every throwaway line from BB is really all that important to retcon into BCS. Like I for one don't give a poo poo who Lalo is or if s/he ever shows up.

I don't see that. Kim was pretty well established from the get go as someone Jimmy really liked but couldn't obtain because he felt that he was inferior as Slippin Jimmy. Same basic theme as him trying to get a law degree to impress his brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why do you guys figure Kim is still with Jimmy, anyways? I know she finds him charming and is attracted to his rebelliousness, but I also feel like she's got a hard to believe threshold for his bullshit.

I really figured when he told her about the incident with Huell, that would be her moment of "well, I guess you really aren't going to change" and that would be that. Maybe she is staying out of a sense of responsibility at this point? That it would be too cruel to leave him when he's clearly in a tail-spin?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

Why do you guys figure Kim is still with Jimmy, anyways? I know she finds him charming and is attracted to his rebelliousness, but I also feel like she's got a hard to believe threshold for his bullshit.

I really figured when he told her about the incident with Huell, that would be her moment of "well, I guess you really aren't going to change" and that would be that. Maybe she is staying out of a sense of responsibility at this point? That it would be too cruel to leave him when he's clearly in a tail-spin?

......you don't know the whole story.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PantsBandit posted:

she pities him because of how chuck treated him. or rather, that's why she's helping him now, not why they haven't broken up. just seems like a stagnant relationship, but not one worth destroying.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 21, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't think they're staying true to Kim's character if she doesn't break up with Jimmy by the end of the season. Just based on what she knows he's become and how stagnant and separate the relationship was shown during the montage, I don't buy that Kim's that willing to just float on by and stay with a Jimmy who refuses to change and is repeating bad behavior. Being willing to flaunt the law, tear down a cop to get his guy out of trouble, etc. should really be the last straw.

With that said, I think the writers come up with an interesting way to keep her somewhat in Jimmy's orbit in season 5, which I expect to be the early days of the Saul Goodman lawyer times.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NowonSA posted:

I don't think they're staying true to Kim's character if she doesn't break up with Jimmy by the end of the season. Just based on what she knows he's become and how stagnant and separate the relationship was shown during the montage, I don't buy that Kim's that willing to just float on by and stay with a Jimmy who refuses to change and is repeating bad behavior. Being willing to flaunt the law, tear down a cop to get his guy out of trouble, etc. should really be the last straw.

With that said, I think the writers come up with an interesting way to keep her somewhat in Jimmy's orbit in season 5, which I expect to be the early days of the Saul Goodman lawyer times.

I think they've done a good job this season of demonstrating that, while Kim presents herself as this bad-rear end, unbreakable corporate lawyer, what she really derives satisfaction from is "fixing" people. Like that court case she took on this season, after it was over she gave the kid that long lecture. It seemed like he actually got the message, which is what she wanted. She's hoping she can do the same for Jimmy, and doesn't seem to want to come to terms with the fact that she's failing.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

MarksMan posted:

I think it was because he cracked an underhanded joke at Jimmy in front of other people, insinuating he was broke, didn't have money, wasn't successful or what have you. I don't remember exactly what was said, but that is how I interpreted it. So Jimmy just figured he would make him put his money where his mouth was and make these increasingly expensive suggestions to make him feel pressure to follow through.

Jimmy excluded in a huddle of fancy lawyers exactly mirrors the setup of the flashback to his mailroom days in the previous episode. Then it drove him to better himself - this time round he knows that doesn't work.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

emgeejay posted:

[Vince Gilligan is about to tell the story of Jimmy becoming Saul but then he falls and knocks over all the fucken thimbles again]]

I really really really appreciated this post.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Jables88 posted:

Jimmy excluded in a huddle of fancy lawyers exactly mirrors the setup of the flashback to his mailroom days in the previous episode. Then it drove him to better himself - this time round he knows that doesn't work.

Spot on. I think Kim will ending leaving him because her new firm will convince her that he’s going to drag her down, probably after a close call with whatever stunt she’s planning with Huel. After being rejected by his brother, HHM, and now Kim I think that will be what tips Jimmy into full Saul mode. His hatred of the legal world that rejected him will make him exactly into what his brother feared. Slippin’ Jimmy, Esq.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

He became Saul when he flipped the switch.

Nail Rat posted:

*Jimmy staggers backwards after knocking Howard out of a window with his lawyer skills*

"What have I done?" He sits down.

Bill looks down at him and smiles. "You are fulfilling your destiny...petty with a prior."

I appreciate these deep cuts.

e:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really really really appreciated this post.

I assume this is some Sisyphean task someone had like that dude counting sand in the Preacher comics. What thimbles :saddowns:

vvvvv 2 deep 4 me

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 21, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

^^ those are not "deep cuts" this is:

emgeejay posted:

[Vince Gilligan is about to tell the story of Jimmy becoming Saul but then he falls and knocks over all the fucken thimbles again]]

yessss

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Spot on. I think Kim will ending leaving him because her new firm will convince her that he’s going to drag her down, probably after a close call with whatever stunt she’s planning with Huel. After being rejected by his brother, HHM, and now Kim I think that will be what tips Jimmy into full Saul mode. His hatred of the legal world that rejected him will make him exactly into what his brother feared. Slippin’ Jimmy, Esq.

I think it's gonna be a pretty simple Jimmy doing too many Slippin Jimmy schemes. She's already pissed that she has to help out Huel for him just wait til the next scam he puts in place.

It'll all culminate with him trying to get her to quit her law firm and come work at Saul Goodman. Guaranteed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

like the time Jimmy got a couple of street punks randomly mixed up with Tuco and company in the first episode, he's going to do the same with Kim, except they aren't going to break her legs, they're going to kill her.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How long is Tuco down for, anyway- are we expecting him to be back assuming the next season is the last?

Wouldn't mind seeing the Kettleteam or the skater kids again either tbh.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How long is Tuco down for, anyway- are we expecting him to be back assuming the next season is the last?

Wouldn't mind seeing the Kettleteam or the skater kids again either tbh.

Im still holding out hope for a Tuco/Skinny Pete in prison scene, since that's how Skinny knew him and was able to introduce Jesse to him.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Last Chance posted:

like the time Jimmy got a couple of street punks randomly mixed up with Tuco and company in the first episode, he's going to do the same with Kim, except they aren't going to break her legs, they're going to kill her.

You could be on to something here. I worry that Chuck’s statement that Jimmy hurts everything he touches is going to come to pass.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

hailthefish posted:

When the cartel shoots his partner they refer to Gus (mockingly) as Generalissimo, and mention off-handedly that they can't kill him because of connections to Chile or something along those lines.

I remember that line now that you mention it. That would make sense with the Pinochet angle and his records

Nail Rat posted:

I'm pretty sure he has an office in a strip mall because that's the kind of place his target demographic would want to go.

Lol, yeah it is. I love how just full-throttle sleazy Saul is

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does continue to crack me up that no matter how much money he earns he still drives that same car

At least his coffee cup fits in that one

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Last Chance posted:

That seems a bit too TV for the way this show usually works. I think what's going to happen is what we all expect to happen: Jimmy's going to slip too far and Kim's going to realize she can't put up with it anymore. But the specifics will play out in a compelling way.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 21, 2018

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I agree, fridging Kim is too low brow for this show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Someone explain the thimble

Is it a podcast inside joke

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone explain the thimble

Is it a podcast inside joke

Here ya go pal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyrM7GxyzGg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw man! And I'm just this minute working my way through Mr. Show. Haven't gotten to that episode yet or I would have been in the cool joke getters club.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ben stiller show actually

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Good points man, even if it doesn’t go the way you predict. I totally see a hateful, disrespectful attitude, pissing on the law, floating around in Saul’s character. I reckon this conversation has been had in the writer’s room - how do we make Jimmy hate the ‘lawyer’ scene so much that he stops caring what anyone associated with it thinks of him?

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 22, 2018

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I like to imagine that Jimmy will leave Kim because he recognizes her growing resentment towards his bullshit. Then rather than forcing her to become bitter and passive aggressive like Chuck, Jimmy will do something to sever the ties. Maybe he'll just break up with her- we'd all expect him to do some big stupid, stunt but maybe it's as simple as a dinner where he calls it quits. I think it would work really well juxtaposed against all of his fantasies of partnership as a last act of grand morality before allowing himself to become the Slippin' Jimmy he's always been. We've seen that Jimmy will sacrifice his personal needs for people he cares about (the nursing home). It would be nice for him to let Kim off the leash and see her succeed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a lot of the interviews with writers/showrunners about Kim discuss how we've seen her genuinely enjoy conning people, how there's a certain dark streak in her that makes her more like Jimmy than she often wants to admit (perhaps due to something in her past, which we know very little about), and how she's not someone who's there to play the stereotypical role of trying to 'save' her corrupt boyfriend.

i think Kim just leaving him or them breaking up because Jimmy has decided to be a Bad Guy is the really obvious move here, and it's going to be something else more complicated than that

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have often wondered why I so dearly want Kim, who is amazing and wonderful in every way, to ruin her life by hitching her wagon to Saul Goodman. I think the answer lies in the subtleties of Rhea Seehorn's performance. Underneath that professional, collected exterior is a rebellious spirit that has been hurt before and is waiting for the perfect conditions to come roaring back. And that's why she's still with Jimmy. She wants those conditions realized.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Kim definitely ran with the bad boys when she was younger and she has that issue where she wants to save everyone. Jimmy represents both those aspects while still being a pretty fun boyfriend I guess

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I agree that Kim is definitely a rebel at heart. Our first images of her in the show are her smoking within the shadows of a parking garage. However we've also seen her show little to no hesitation in cutting ties with groups and people who aren't able to advance her self interests. Maybe Jimmy is her weak spot, but I would hope that she could prevent herself from imploding. In a show where pretty much every main character is damned, I'd love for Kim to be the one who makes it out alive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

a new study bible! posted:

I agree that Kim is definitely a rebel at heart. Our first images of her in the show are her smoking within the shadows of a parking garage. However we've also seen her show little to no hesitation in cutting ties with groups and people who aren't able to advance her self interests. Maybe Jimmy is her weak spot, but I would hope that she could prevent herself from imploding. In a show where pretty much every main character is damned, I'd love for Kim to be the one who makes it out alive.
Although I actually hate comparing this show to Breaking Bad, Kim is the Jesse of the story. Some bad stuff will happen to her for being connected to the main antihero but in the end she'll get away and improve her life with the lessons she's learned.

... I think I hate comparing the shows enough that I actually hope that's not the case at all.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 23, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Maybe but the power dynamic between Walt and Jesse and Saul and Kim is significantly different. Saul, I believe, thinks Kim is just as smart if not smarter than him.

I think it's funny the last episode both said to each other "you do what's best for you" when internally they felt bad about the decision. Kim when Jimmy said he won't see a therapist and Jimmy when Kim became partners with another branch.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Kim and Jimmy relationship is really hard to put a bead on- it's textbook old Facebook "It's Complicated" status.

I do think with the revelation he's been selling drop phones, and what he asked her to do for Huell, they've passed the point of no return relationship-wise and she's going to make a clean break with him after the trial is done. At the very least there will be a confrontation; she made him promise no more sheisty stuff, and he tried to get her to do it for him, he having already acquired a reputation as a sleazeball in the eyes of others. All that needs to happen is for her to see him the same way everyone else does, defined by his worst attributes; her recognizing them is beginning to impact the relationship from her end. He'd stay with her no matter what, but she has a limit.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jimmy's gonna end up getting Kim disbarred and I'm going to hate him and Vince Gilligan forever

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kim is lalo

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Kim gets disbarred for using markers in the courtroom because of Jimmy and breaks up with Jimmy and he's like I am now Saul Goodman evil corrupt criminal lawyer and propel in this thread are happy that he finally became Saul Goodman and the show will become a 30 minute sketch comedy as originally marketed 3 years ago

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The dude who's set to play Lalo is credited for 3 episodes this season.

We have 3 episodes left to go.

:toot:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hello, I am called Lalo. Lalo is short for Saul, my real name is Saul Goodman. I am a lawyer. Better call me, saul goodman, if you want a lawyer. I will be a lawyer for a meth man, no problem.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Oughtta Ring Lalo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Laterite posted:

Oughtta Ring Lalo

"Hola, Lalo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Better Call-o Lalo