Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Schwarzwald posted:

If they're not dangling from a wire it doesn't count.

This is a good post and you should feel good you made it.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure the "deus ex machina" thing is why it's been so firmly established the gods' hands are tied.

Although I'd be pretty happy if, rather than going through a song and dance about clerics and gems, Thor just straight-up sent Durkon back to the living himself. It's already almost a given that Durkon's coming back to life, so the way it happens doesn't matter, and in that case why not make it flashy and spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I can recommend going back and reading the arc to date, I did it last night, and man that last bit with Durkon hits like a fuckin truck.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren:1141 Advanced Color Theory:siren:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:stare:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

:frogsiren:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So what color would Banjo be.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Durkon on return: "I'm not a vampire anymore--really! but we should should definitely team up with the high priest of the dark one."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Okay, just have to talk to the dark one. It's weird how not all gods seem to be on board with this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kyte posted:

Banjo was going to join the Northern pantheon so he would have been yellow, like the Elven gods joined the West.

But the Dark One never joined anybody.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kyte posted:

Legit thought halfway through the comic, "oh man they're going to try to promote Banjo." Felt real dumb at the last panel.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Darth TNT posted:

Okay, just have to talk to the dark one. It's weird how not all gods seem to be on board with this.

If he is the only one of the new color he's gonna have a whole lotta power in this new situation.

Edit: Also if he were the sole god of Goblinkind he'd have a lot of souls owed to him since goblins are know for being numerous and fast breeding. It all may make him the most powerful god.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 21, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So this validates what I was saying earlier about the Dark One being new as of this world, rather than him being something that was present in previous worlds. Though getting The Dark One on board is gonna be a fuckin' task. I guess my theory about the Order having to talk to Redcloak is going to happen after all.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
If rich were planning this better he'd have made redcloak's caster color purple

Edit: oh my God, it was subboss xykon all along, the last part will be taking on the snarl as a team with redcloak

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Like I probably said at some point, there's this whole checks and balances system in place that's meant to prevent a Snarl Scenario and based entirely around the gods' followers being able to level up on goblins.

e: it really seems like destroying the world and making a new one would be the quickest way to solve the problem, cause the Dark One would be involved and they'd get a stable world. But yeah he's gonna be very cross indeed.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Though getting The Dark One on board is gonna be a fuckin' task.

All The Dark One wants is a seat at the negotiating table during the creation of the next world. Pretty sure that means he's already on board with creating a new 4 color world. The real question is: are the other pantheons willing to seat him, and if no, why not?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Crayon box, eh?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Just thinking out loud here.

The Dark One exists just to get Goblinkind a seat at the big-boys table, right? To give Goblinkind a "place" in the narrative that isn't just being a source of xp.

The Dark One will want the world destroyed as he'll have enough souls to get that seat at the creation of the next world, right?

Thor wants him on board with destroying the Snarl - which is something The Dark One will only agree to once the gods agree to pull the trigger on the current world, presumably.

Perhaps the next comic will tell us Thor's trump card in getting The Dark One to help without destroying the current world first.

Edit: Dark One demands the universe rules are made around Fate, as opposed to D&D. Character-story-building-based-xp as opposed to things-killed-xp.

Which leaves one to wonder why the gods only existed on 2nd-and-later editions of D&D, and never the gold-coins-as-xp editions.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 21, 2018

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Zonekeeper posted:

All The Dark One wants is a seat at the negotiating table during the creation of the next world. Pretty sure that means he's already on board with creating a new 4 color world. The real question is: are the other pantheons willing to seat him, and if no, why not?

Probably because he’s a jumped-up neophyte they originally designed as chattel. The idea is unthinkable to them.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

My Lovely Horse posted:

Like I probably said at some point, there's this whole checks and balances system in place that's meant to prevent a Snarl Scenario and based entirely around the gods' followers being able to level up on goblins.

In this world, which is probably just an artefact of the whole let's make a world thats based on a game and knows it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zonekeeper posted:

It's strongly implied (if not outright stated) that the Dark One (and Redcloak) are more motivated by petty revenge than they are desire for justice and fairness for the goblins. Think about what was more important to Redcloak: establishing Goblitopia, or torturing the paladins?

They don't just want a better deal for goblins: they want the Gods and the other mortal races to hurt for it. That's the rub in ever trying to get them on-board with a more peaceful plan.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

You seem to drastically underestimate how petty the gods are.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Seldom Posts posted:

Durkon on return: "I'm not a vampire anymore--really! but we should should definitely team up with the high priest of the dark one."

I figured that when Durkon returns, it would be the opposite of when Dukracula appeared: Roy giving him a serious side eye at best, and outright distrusting him at worst, with maybe Belkar starting to give him a chance. I guess if that is happening, this would be the reason for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I kind of figured Durkon has to return, if not what's the point of telling him all this

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Korn posted:

I kind of figured Durkon has to return, if not what's the point of telling him all this

So that we, the audience, can know, thus enforcing dramatic irony that is the heart and soul of tragedy?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Again, we're seeing the weird scrambling of the Norse Gods in the OOTS pantheon - usually it's Odin who is portrayed as the guy who can see the big picture and who figures everything out. Thor being like your super-smart high school science teacher who has to be reminded to dumb things down is pretty off-brand, mythologically.

Not that I'm complaining - Cool Science Teacher Thor is a great character - I just thought it was worth noticing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Huh. So all this explains why Thor and Odin wanted Banjo to join the rest of the gods.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

ikanreed posted:

If rich were planning this better he'd have made redcloak's caster color purple

Edit: oh my God, it was subboss xykon all along, the last part will be taking on the snarl as a team with redcloak

book zero being called "start of darkness " was supossed to mean the dark one all along, and not Xykon ?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love this development. I feel like the true endgame of this strip is cohering.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, there has to be a catch here.

If all they need is the Dark One's pantheon of one to join in creating a new world, Thor should've been all-in on plan Nuke The World And Start Over #213464121. Boom. Four colours.

Either Thor somehow considers the amount of power and-or concessions the Dark One would gain/ask for in order to render his assistance to be a greater threat to himself than a thing that can outright slaughter him, or the Dark One goes poof when the world ends, somehow.

Also considering that the Snarl destroyed World 1 despite it being four-coloured, just having him on board doesn't mean it's an auto-win for them anyway.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mystic Mongol posted:

Huh. So all this explains why Thor and Odin wanted Banjo to join the rest of the gods.

Not really if he joined the northern god's he'd be yellow

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think that if I were going to want a new god to help me out in imprisoning a massive world eating entity I would probably NOT just murder all of his or her followers callously.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Also considering that the Snarl destroyed World 1 despite it being four-coloured, just having him on board doesn't mean it's an auto-win for them anyway.

The Snarl has ranks in Rogue and sneak attacked the eastern pantheon before their turn in the initiative round came.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
loving hell, this one just makes me angry.

That plot point has been right in front of our faces since we were told the origin of the Snarl and reinforced every time a god manifested, and everyone loving missed it every loving time. How is Burlew this goddamn good?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

What if part of the plan is raising more gods into a new pantheon of a 5th color? If 4 is the "most real", then 5 would be even better, right? We've got red, yellow, blue, purple, and formerly green, but there's no orange. Or if we go with the rainbow, indigo as well. That sorta fits with 7 books planned, all of which have a different color on them. Color Spray has 7 colors as well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah but the Snarl wasn't imprisoned in world 1

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

CapnAndy posted:

loving hell, this one just makes me angry.

That plot point has been right in front of our faces since we were told the origin of the Snarl and reinforced every time a god manifested, and everyone loving missed it every loving time. How is Burlew this goddamn good?

It would be more reinforced if the Snarl was represented as being made of four-colored threads that corresponded to the pantheons, rather than red/blue/purple. And here we have a blue god weaving purple threads and a yellow god weaving blue ones, which doesn't really drive in the importance of color in the gods' creations.

(Unless I am misunderstanding you about what you mean has been in front of our faces the whole time, which is possible.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rumda posted:

Not really if he joined the northern god's he'd be yellow

He'd have to start his own pantheon. Which is doable. There's Giggles the Clown, the island orcs abandoned Banjo worship for Giggles worship. And of course Banjulhu. Nice well rounded triad there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LashLightning posted:

Which leaves one to wonder why the gods only existed on 2nd-and-later editions of D&D, and never the gold-coins-as-xp editions.

Who's to say they didn't? Maybe the whole reason the Dark One is new here is because this is the first time they made an entire sentient culture as XP pinatas to fit a "XP by combat only" system.

Kruller posted:

What if part of the plan is raising more gods into a new pantheon of a 5th color? If 4 is the "most real", then 5 would be even better, right? We've got red, yellow, blue, purple, and formerly green, but there's no orange. Or if we go with the rainbow, indigo as well. That sorta fits with 7 books planned, all of which have a different color on them. Color Spray has 7 colors as well.

Really, turquoise should be the sixth part of the wheel.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Endgame is the existing pantheons, Banjo's pantheon, and the Dark One cooperating to make a five-coloured weapon that's more real than the Snarl so somebody can kill it

Banjo's pantheon will be green, and they'll make the sword's hilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suaimhneas posted:

Endgame is the existing pantheons, Banjo's pantheon, and the Dark One cooperating to make a five-coloured weapon that's more real than the Snarl so somebody can kill it

Banjo's pantheon will be green, and they'll make the sword's hilt