Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

redleader posted:

oh no, someone maintaining a useful piece of software. how awful. what a waste
no, "maintaining" implies prior functioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

no, "maintaining" implies prior functioning

Not sure where you got that idea from, buddy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not sure where you got that idea from, buddy

old things bad!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

akadajet posted:

i leave my disasters for other people to maintain, then go on to build brand new ones

the trick is making sure that as soon as you're done writing it, it's considered "legacy"

ah, a 10x coder

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I mean it’s fine to keep around older code if it s actually well designed and well executed and functional and the organization has made efforts to preserve institutional knowledge about it but in reality it’s probably some slipshod buggy unreadable mess of 10 years ago’s java flavor of the day so you might as well replace it with a slipshod buggy unreadable mess of the current javascript flavor of the day, doesn’t hurt anything and it’s a resume booster

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao maintaining existing software won't get you that dream job at amazon, facebook, or apple

ABC, Always Be Creinventing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Phobeste posted:

well designed and well executed and functional and the organization has made efforts to preserve institutional knowledge about it

the only thing that is relevant is "functional" and even that is "usually functional"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maintaining old software is good and useful to the world.

I don't want to do it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good job not talking about Hitler on the Hitler page, YOSPOS!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

CPColin posted:

Good job not talking about Hitler on the Hitler page, YOSPOS!

it's a PL thread; we don't care about being ibm compatible

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Brain Candy posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Brain Candy posted:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Brain Candy posted:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Brain Candy posted:

:drat:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
thread title pls

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Brain Candy posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Brain Candy posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i didn't think it was that funny

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

i didn't think it was that funny

:chloe:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

lmao maintaining existing software won't get you that dream job at amazon, facebook, or apple

ABC, Always Be Creinventing

yeah because there’s no huge body of existing software that needs maintaining

like I said, my experience is that the people who could deal with Epic actually have a lot of skills for success in a place like Apple

we have lots of old stuff to maintain and build new stuff atop (and refactor, and replace) but it’s written more or less sanely so the skills that enable you to work productively in a nightmare system like Epic’s make it pretty easy to work productively in ours

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
PL/I thread

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
poo poo legacy systems are usually a symptom of poo poo managers dont @ me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

much of the software for the GRiD Compass, the first clamshell-style portable computer (“laptop”), was written in Intel’s PL/M dialect of PL/I for the 8086

GRiD used the 8086 CPU, had a modern OS, a full integrated application suite with strong UI guidelines and uniform data types that could be extended by developers, used bubble memory as a kind of SSD, and even offered what today we’d call cloud storage and an app store via dialup—in both hosted and on-premises form

and all this within six months of the introduction of the IBM PC

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

Maintaining old software is good and useful to the world.

I don't want to do it.

much like garbage men or women

as in people who pick up your garbage

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

here, have an example of PL/I from IBM

I suspect the bug in handling ‘+’ is intentional, since it’s an example for debugging

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I didn’t know herb sutter added a borrow checker to c++

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

writing a log rotator/archiver in powershell

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

augh debugging latex ffs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Krankenstyle posted:

augh debugging latex ffs

:rip:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

poo poo legacy systems are usually a symptom of poo poo managers dont @ me

this is due to a vicious cycle of all the good managers being busy rescuing poo poo projects

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

AWWNAW posted:

the good managers

lol

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
random q: does apple document what their "neural engine" hardware consists of?

It seems like it's probably tensor cores, but I can't find any good reference.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dont @ me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

@conci zoo sniper UR A BUTT

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hey mononcqc, is "practical model-based testing" by utting and legeard worth reading? my uncle got me this because he got gifted 5 copies and can't read english but flipping through it, it seems basically like your book, but 90% state machines and mostly for enterprise blub blub blub peeps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its when you print out your code and use it for tests irl

it doesnt work very well unless your code is void wipe() { return; }

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
we have a hella greybeard dev who prints out all the code he looks at. it's weird and seems wasteful, especially given his preferred formatting style which seeks to use as much vertical space as possible

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
just @ me next time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

we have a hella greybeard dev who prints out all the code he looks at. it's weird and seems wasteful, especially given his preferred formatting style which seeks to use as much vertical space as possible

fax him your next merge request

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hey mononcqc, is "practical model-based testing" by utting and legeard worth reading? my uncle got me this because he got gifted 5 copies and can't read english but flipping through it, it seems basically like your book, but 90% state machines and mostly for enterprise blub blub blub peeps

I don’t know about that book. But there’s like model checking, a formal approach where you model your software in a specific framework and let a formal analyser say it’s right. there’s also a model testing practice that’s like writing abstract tests based on UML-like representations of the underlying software, which I figure isn’t formal.

Checking the abstract it appears the book you have is about the latter. I tend to just try and actively ignore most of what contains UML, which might be a stupid policy but so far it has served me well.

(as for my book, property based testing’s stateful models are closer to the formal approach—build a model—but instead of analyzing it, you do the non-formal thing where you make the model run against the real system through various inputs and see that both work the same.)