Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
https://mobile.twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1042641594875146241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love Kamiya so much and I respect his need for twitter owns but I do not need to see them

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

except for this this was amazing

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1003273077512237058

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He makes good games, but I feel like a person need not be a chef to have an opinion on food.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hideki kamiya may be the single best human being at twitter for which i respect him greatly but it's unfortunate that part of that means hideki kamiya is an extremely impressive rear end in a top hat

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I just think it's funny that he can call his own games godlike, he's like the Mohammed Ali of game design

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

hideki kamiya may be the single best human being at twitter for which i respect him greatly but it's unfortunate that part of that means hideki kamiya is an extremely impressive rear end in a top hat

He's not that good at twitter imho.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I just think it's funny that he can call his own games godlike, he's like the Mohammed Ali of game design

He's right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this is incredible. he spent real time to craft this

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

yea he is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7zUR4MRow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is a masterpiece

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

tap my mountain posted:

He made Resident Evil 2 and Bayonetta. He can definitely claim his own work as godlike, it owns

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Mario RPG, Earthbound, and Yoshi's Island together are like $300 at best for mint carts

CIB maybe you'd push up to $600. Maybe. $1k is a laugh.

e: If he didn't have his collection documented and insured he's pretty dumb

Is it also the case where for every game that's worth "alot" there are 100s that are worth virtually nothing? I'd assume so but I have no videogame collecting knowledge.

This is like almost exactly that "I'm dumb and so god drat crazy" Shmorky comic.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 21, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it also the case where for every game that's worth "alot" there are 100s that are worth virtually nothing? I'd assume so but I have no videogame collecting knowledge.

It's pretty much that. Everyone knows Earthbound is worth a lot so it seems a bit silly to compare a couple of... not easy to find, but of relatively much cheaper desirable games.

Like to take the listing that was posted for Earthbound that sold for ~$800 USD, that just means the other games are like a hundred each.

Honestly the actual rare games aren't the ones that necessarily are expensive, it's the ones you almost never see to buy at all (which sounds obvious but it makes it harder to judge value when something crops up to buy maybe once every three months).

The thing that happens these days is some streamer will show off some obscure game that wasn't particularly in demand before and was available for cheap, but then the value skyrockets because now everybody knows about it. There was, I think it was, a top ten obscure SNES games that AVGN put out one time that doubled a bunch of games' values.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm playing hiveswap and i'm in the troll world and although its trying its hardest to be silly it's still as impenetrable as kingdom hearts

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hiveswap is terrible, the low budget shows and, at least when I played it, it was riddled with game breaking bugs. I feel it's best avoided even if you're a fan of Homestuck.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's the story again with the homestuck game and the creator getting scammed out of his kickstarter money? I remember the real short summary ie "he got scammed" but I can't remember much else past that.

Or maybe I made the whole thing up and I legit don't know what I'm talking about. That is also equally possible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the story again with the homestuck game and the creator getting scammed out of his kickstarter money? I remember the real short summary ie "he got scammed" but I can't remember much else past that.

Or maybe I made the whole thing up and I legit don't know what I'm talking about. That is also equally possible.

The details have always been vague due probably to a settlement agreement. But basically The Odd Gentlemen were contracted to work on the game, and then got an offer to make King's Quest and hosed off to do that without returning the money they were paid.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know specifics but i do know the gossip hearsay is he gave all the kickstarter money to a developer and then that developer took the money and made the king's quest soft reboot with it instead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh holy poo poo what

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1043218930796580864

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

woah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m kind of amazed they lasted this long

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea they've been laying off a ton of folks, not surprised.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jesus

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow, seriously? Didn't they just have a major hiring spree a few years ago? You'd think they'd try to scale things back and take on fewer projects before shuttering completely.

I really want to know more of this story. Upper management must have been a cluster-gently caress.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
RIP telltale but I never played a single game they made

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Turns out they thought they were making a meaningful choice to stay in business, but at the end they found they were on a track to closing the whole time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This better not actually be happening because I already plunked down money on their new Walking Dead season lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

RIP telltale but I never played a single game they made

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
No one will remember this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow RIP. Didn't they bring in that dude who was gonna flip things around and only focus on a few IPs?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Other than the Walking Dead season they also had season 2s of The Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones announces, as well as a Stranger Things game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Their first two games, Monkey Island and Back to the Future, were pretty good adventure/puzzle games. Everything that followed was garbage Fake-Choice Narratives that were one-step from visual novels set in a game engine so clunky it makes PUBG feel smooth.

That's my earnest hot take thanks for reading.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Wow, seriously? Didn't they just have a major hiring spree a few years ago? You'd think they'd try to scale things back and take on fewer projects before shuttering completely.

they quite famously did this like last year actually

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
.... I’m devastated.. my friends.. they lost their jobs... And I left only a few months ago. Wow this is a lot to take in

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

apparently they were going to move to unity instead of their lovely inhouse engine they've used for a decade after they finished this walking dead game (that came out today) but welp

I liked walking dead season 1 and wolf among us and the borderlands game was surprisingly good, other than that I haven't played anything of theirs in forever

the sam and max and strong bad games ruled tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Their first two games, Monkey Island and Back to the Future, were pretty good adventure/puzzle games. Everything that followed was garbage Fake-Choice Narratives that were one-step from visual novels set in a game engine so clunky it makes PUBG feel smooth.

uh those games came out years and years in, their first games were the bone, CSI, and sam and max serieses

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That sucks, especially because I've been hearing that TWD Season 4 was actually looking like it might to be a return to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chomp8645 posted:

most of their big narrative games had a lot of issues but the walking dead and tales from the borderlands were just genuinely good stories so i don't think that was a bad thing for them

• Locked thread