Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
judging by general feeling i have from people rural pc voters are going to go scheer and urban pc voters are going to break bernier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya i haven't heard a single thing other than "bernier is just a bitter loser"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/danspeerin/status/1041582937274118145

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

checkmate

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

This seems about right:

quote:

Nothing worked. For as long as the Harris government held the confidence of suburban, middle-class voters – by cutting taxes, spending and regulations – no reform was too radical. The Tories lost their way when they ran out of things to do.

This is laughably wrong. Harris resigned two years into his second mandate because his popularity had plummeted and he was losing by-elections, and one of the major contributors to his loss of popularity was the Walkerton crisis, which was understood to be caused by Conservative budget cuts. The idea they kept winning until they "ran out of things to do" is laughable. Their agenda had imploded within two years of their second election victory and then it took four more elections before their party managed to beat a massively unpopular Liberal government again.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Helsing posted:

This is laughably wrong. Harris resigned two years into his second mandate because his popularity had plummeted and he was losing by-elections, and one of the major contributors to his loss of popularity was the Walkerton crisis, which was understood to be caused by Conservative budget cuts. The idea they kept winning until they "ran out of things to do" is laughable. Their agenda had imploded within two years of their second election victory and then it took four more elections before their party managed to beat a massively unpopular Liberal government again.

And would've probably lost again if not for a move by the Liberals targeted at the NDP.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Put 👏James👏Baud👏on👏 your👏 ignore👏lists👏

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1042239677946839041

:qq:~*Rural Culture*~:qq:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress the greenbelt.

burn southern ontario to the ground and salt the earth

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1042471879058042880

lol get hosed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1042548506463023105?s=19

Of course

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

can't wait for those two idiot kings to lock horns.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the cpc graphics team has been working overtime

https://twitter.com/OLO_BCO_Comms/status/1042857326548578304

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

just in case anyone was still wondering about who exactly doug ford is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also why the gently caress is a premier making visits to washington

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Saw a volvo with a trump sticker today aka baloogans car. I almost rear ended it on purpose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

as the only province with an economy, we feel obliged to step in

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
> Ford to CTV on the Trump Hotel meal: “When someone is gracious enough to invite you to lunch (as) Ambassador Craft did...you don’t question where you go...It doesn’t matter if it’s a Trump hotel. She could have asked me to go to McDonald’s, I would have showed up at McDonald’s."

I think I've solved it, everyone. Can we get someone to invite him to a lava pit?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Quebec elections are so weird. And depressing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yinlock posted:

seems to be a thing ontario premiers do, kathleen wynne went to india at one point

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Reality Pisser posted:

Saw a volvo with a trump sticker today aka baloogans car. I almost rear ended it on purpose.

lol sup

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Quebec elections are so weird. And depressing.

Why can't they just elect Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois already? Quebec is supposed to be the province that all the others' leftists wish they were more like!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Why can't they just elect Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois already? Quebec is supposed to be the province that all the others' leftists wish they were more like!

We've had 15 years of Neoliberal hellscape and corruption, we ain't leftists.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

We've had 15 years of Neoliberal hellscape and corruption, we ain't leftists.

only 15???

it seems like so much longer

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
maybe if the "leftists" would drop toxic, dead ideas like the r-word and the c-word, we'd have a progressive government?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

what is the r-word and the c-word

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
referendum
charter

don't say them too loud or the liberals will get another free majority

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Suspicious posted:

referendum
charter

don't say them too loud or the liberals will get another free majority

Lol you think the PQ are leftists.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
i did use quotes didn't i? and they're sort of authoritarian left but who cares they're not getting a majority ever again

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Suspicious posted:

i did use quotes didn't i? and they're sort of authoritarian left but who cares they're not getting a majority ever again

They were only left in their first few years: they've been nationalists neo-libs ever since.

Just look at the "Lucides".

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On the topic of pipeline consultations, I think what we are dealing with here, is a failure of imagination.

1) Why go through BC and all those protesters when you could just go to Hudson's Bay instead?

2) The perfect solution for the post Lac-Megantic era, with which one can also bypass the perennial problems delaying the Keystone XL direct route.

Transport the oil via a massive cargo plane!

quote:

The RC-1 concept traces its history to an informal question asked of Boeing engineer Marvin Taylor. A friend who worked in the oil exploration business asked Taylor about the possibility of airlifting crude oil out of the newly discovered Alaska North Slope fields to refineries in the south. Taylor's back-of-the-envelope calculations demonstrated such a system would cost many times the market price of the oil.[1]

A series of injunctions against the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System imposed in April 1970 created the possibility that the oil from these fields would be stranded. Among a variety of potential solutions being offered, Boeing started a much more serious evaluation of the airlift concept. It was noticed early on that two important factors had not been fully considered earlier.[1]

One was that an aircraft flying from Alaska to California would be flying right over some of the best developed shipping lanes available. By offloading as early as possible to some other mode of transport—tankers or pipelines—the amount of fuel burned would be greatly reduced. More importantly, this freed the aircraft to return to for another load more rapidly than if it flew all the way to California, meaning that a single aircraft could deliver more cargo in a given time. This had been noticed in the earlier studies, but the full impact had not been appreciated.[1]

This led naturally to the second issue, involving the sortie rate of the aircraft. In the initial calculations they had assumed similar sortie rates as commercial aircraft like the Boeing 747, flying long multi-hour flights from the oil fields in Alaska to California. However, the sortie rates of commercial aircraft are based on customer preferences on what times they want to fly, not the actual ability of the aircraft. Assuming much shorter routes and 24-hour operation, sortie rates on the order of 18 to 20 flights a day seemed possible. This greatly reduced the number of aircraft that were needed to provide any particular level of service.[1]

With these two concepts, it appeared that existing cargo conversions of aircraft like the 747 would result in airlift prices just below the current price of crude. This was not particularly practical, but given the great improvements over initial concepts, further studies followed. The first of these considered adaptations of the existing 747F freighters, removing the jet fuel from the wings due to the short range (relying instead on tanks in the fuselage and tail). With the load on the wings reduced, cargo could be carried along the spans or in the wing tanks. With these changes, in mid-summer 1970 Boeing presented a plan that could deliver oil for $1.50 to $2.00 a barrel.

So, two dollars in 1970 is almost exactly equal to thirteen dollars in 2018, but there's a small catch...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ever since the arctic was invented, man has dreamed of destroying it for oil

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
theres nothing better than oil

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When you look at the sheer paucity of Ontario, Quebec really seems like a paradise

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quebec is god drat beautiful. downtown montreal managed to keep a ton of heritage buildings but there is also a lot of modern architecture butting right up beside it and it really looks cool. Every time I go there I wish I could stay longer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

quebec is god drat beautiful. downtown montreal managed to keep a ton of heritage buildings but there is also a lot of modern architecture butting right up beside it and it really looks cool. Every time I go there I wish I could stay longer

Mayor Drapeau destroyed a lot of historic buildings to replace them with cheap ugly "new" stuff in the 60s. My mom never forgave him.

My step-mother is friend with a sculptor, Morton Rosengarten, who left the city then because he said "Drapeau destroyed the heart of the city". He now lives in a nice rural town and they sometimes go see him during summer. Great guy, full of super interesting stories about Montreal in his days. And still making art and living life despite being like 85.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mayor Drapeau destroyed a lot of historic buildings to replace them with cheap ugly "new" stuff in the 60s. My mom never forgave him.

My step-mother is friend with a sculptor, Morton Rosengarten, who left the city then because he said "Drapeau destroyed the heart of the city". He now lives in a nice rural town and they sometimes go see him during summer. Great guy, full of super interesting stories about Montreal in his days. And still making art and living life despite being like 85.

the hallmark of any bad mayor/rich landowner seems to be destroying gorgeous old buildings and replacing them with insanely tacky poo poo

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious posted:

maybe if the "leftists" would drop toxic, dead ideas like the r-word and the c-word, we'd have a progressive government?

How the hell can you be progressive and a federalist it doesnt even make sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

the hallmark of any bad mayor/rich landowner seems to be destroying gorgeous old buildings and replacing them with insanely tacky poo poo

Yup. Thankfully, we still have a lot of cool historical buildings and museums and parks. And Old Montreal is great.

In conclusion, Montreal is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yup. Thankfully, we still have a lot of cool historical buildings and museums and parks. And Old Montreal is great.

In conclusion, Montreal is a land of contrasts.

at least until the next mayor bulldozes them and replaces them with Uncle Dickface's Bar & Grill, a solid gold rotating statue of a beaver, etc