Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Try it and report back.

Nice, so you're just being an rear end

incogneato posted:

the myth of lawyerly prestige, but who couldn't get into a better school. Not sure if that counts as a "mill" though.

This makes more sense now.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Nice, so you're just being an rear end

Paralegals cannot practice law

They can prepare legal documents with lawyer oversight*

The cannot represent anyone in court ever+

* in practice some extremely routine forms may be prepared with no oversight by paralegals or other office staff

+ maybe in some administrative tribunals though this is rare

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like in my state you there are alternatives to going to law school to take the bar exam and be a lawyer which is pretty cool. The cheapest path to lawyering here is probably something like, paralegal associates degree, limited license legal technician program to make money to pay for the next steps, paralegal bachelors program, law clerk program and then attorney.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems like a tremendous waste of money and time.

Law schools have evening programs if you need to work.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

euphronius posted:

Paralegals can’t write substantial pleadings, motions or briefs or argue in court. I suppose the best of them can compose discovery documents.

They can write anything. They just can’t sign and file them.

What paralegals do is different at every firm, company, or government office. Sometimes different even within those offices.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m struggling to conceive of the circumstances where a paralegal is single handedly preparing a substantial appellate brief or substantial and non routine pleading or brief in support of a motion in a form which could be filed

Theoretically it could happen I guess. Obviously you have cases where lawyers lose their license and work for other attorneys as “paralegals”

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 21, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

I’m struggling to conceive of the circumstances where a paralegal is single handedly preparing a substantial appellate brief or substantial and non routine pleading or brief in support of a motion in a form which could be filed

That's a pretty small fraction of the practice of law, is the thing (hence the "non routine"). There are many, many attorneys who go years at a time without actually appearing in a courtroom, or who might go decades without filing anything "non routine", especially if your practice area is something formulaic or solicitor-esque like real estate or elder law.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

euphronius posted:

Theoretically it could happen I guess. Obviously you have cases where lawyers lose their license and work for other attorneys as “paralegals”

Yeah, but you said they couldn’t. As in it’s not allowed. They’re allowed to write anything subject to their legal knowledge and capabilities and what the supervising attorney wants them to do.

And yeah, appellate briefs are an incredibly small part of actual law practice. Most of law practice is routine, re-used documents.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No I meant “could not” as in they don’t have the expertise to prepare them

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
"Listen, how loving hard can being a doctor be? I mean, I took a first aid class where they went over the basics, so I'm pretty sure I'm good. Anyway, basically all medicine is practiced by the nurses anyway, so if you go to nursing school on nights you can basically do all the important stuff like make diagnoses and practice general medicine."

- a famous autodidact doctor, which there certainly are many of I'm sure

Lawyers make a living off of the fuckups of others, and really if you have half of a legal education you have all the foundation you need to do more harm than good. What are you going to use ~partial~ law education for anyway? Practice law unlicensed? Give advice without malpractice insurance? This is where you crack open a book on this legal concept called "liability" which routinely kills off even licensed, careful and educated people. The only reason you should get educated as a paralegal is if you want to work as a paralegal. The benefits otherwise are near non-existent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Much of law does look routine to non lawyers. Much of what paralegals or legal administrative staff does is routine.

Any profession can have bits and chunks sliced off and routinized and made rote under the guidance and supervision of a professional.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are hung up on the rarity of arguing in court. It’s not that rare if you include other tribunals such as arbitrations and administrative courts and the skills needed are the same

Further appellate law isn’t as rare as you seem to indicate.

Even so if you are talking about outside the court practice a paralegal or legal administrative person isn’t going to ab nihilio create a contract to serve the needs of her client for example.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 21, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

euphronius posted:

No I meant “could not” as in they don’t have the expertise to prepare them

That’s a qualitative judgment you can’t make with a blanket statement. It’s not like regurgitating the summary judgment standard requires years of legal instruction and experience. I could write briefs worth filing the summer after my first year in law school. A seasoned paralegal has more legal knowledge than a rising 2L.

Not to mention there are plenty of briefs filed by experienced lawyers that are pure trash.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh 1L. the year you learn civpro, legal writing, and legal research. Amazing coincidence.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not to mention there are plenty of briefs filed by experienced lawyers that are pure trash.

Wait, are you saying the briefs are trash, or the lawyers?

j/k we know the answer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

"Listen, how loving hard can being a doctor be? I mean, I took a first aid class where they went over the basics, so I'm pretty sure I'm good. Anyway, basically all medicine is practiced by the nurses anyway, so if you go to nursing school on nights you can basically do all the important stuff like make diagnoses and practice general medicine."

Yes , exactly the same attitude. I see it all the time.

Engineers are the worst about it which is ironic to me.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 21, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

euphronius posted:

Oh 1L. the year you learn civpro, legal writing, and legal research. Amazing coincidence.

Wow yeah, where you write one memo and one brief. So much experience and Eldrich knowledge.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You seem to have gone to a poo poo law school.

Goondolences.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

euphronius posted:

That seems like a tremendous waste of money and time.

Law schools have evening programs if you need to work.

* Not * everyone * has * money * (lol just lol at the idea of paying for law school via a day job, what is this, the boomer 1950's?)

I've known two co-workers / friends who took the "attorney but also paralegal" route. Ethical problems weren't the issue in either case.

One of them was a crackerjack paralegal for a boutique trusts & estates firm; she was a young single mother and just couldn't afford law school, period. Eventually the attorney who employed her paid out of pocket for her to go to law school because she thought it was a waste that she wasn't a lawyer.

The other was a friend of mine who practiced for a few years with legal aid then realized the only way he could pay off his law school debt was to enlist. The Army has better debt repayment plans for enlisted than for officers, so he went in as a paralegal rather than as JAG (technically his salary was lower as a paralegal, but he got far more debt repayment, so his net recoupment was much higher as a paralegal). He did his (four?) years and got out with his debts paid.

:shrug:

I've also seen plenty of small firms that were "led" by functionally inept license hanger attorneys but kept afloat by competent paralegals. I've read plenty of godawful appellate briefs submitted by barely-literate -- but, technically speaking, licensed -- attorneys.

That said, sure, law school does provide a certain kind of training that paralegals don't have. But that's not because paralegals as people are any less talented; it's (often) just because they couldn't afford the training.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 21, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Suppose a lawyer with their own practice as a sole owner prepared a document such as a will, and then died. Later, the document turns out to be improperly prepared with substantial damages to the estate. Is there recourse, assuming the practice is now defunct and inoperative?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

baquerd posted:

Suppose a lawyer with their own practice as a sole owner prepared a document such as a will, and then died. Later, the document turns out to be improperly prepared with substantial damages to the estate. Is there recourse, assuming the practice is now defunct and inoperative?

One in this situation could sue his or her estate as liability can arguably be personal.

However if the estate is closed good luck.

This is a good reason to always have your will updated by the way (say every five years)

And if the lawyer who wrote your will dies for the love of god get a new lawyer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

Obviously you have cases where lawyers lose their license and work for other attorneys as “paralegals”

Interestingly Louisiana specifically bans this in Rule 5.5(e):

quote:

(e)(1) A lawyer shall not:

(i) employ, contract with as a consultant, engage as an independent contractor, or otherwise join in any other capacity, in connection with the practice of law, any person the attorney knows or reasonably should know is a disbarred attorney, during the period of disbarment, or any person the attorney knows or reasonably should know is an attorney who has permanently resigned from the practice of law in lieu of discipline; or

(ii) employ, contract with as a consultant, engage as an independent contractor, or otherwise join in any other capacity, in connection with the practice of law, any person the attorney knows or reasonably should know is a suspended attorney, or an attorney who has been transferred to disability inactive status during the period of suspension or transfer, unless first preceded by the submission of a fully executed employment registration statement to the Office of Disciplinary Counsel, on a registration form provided by the Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board, and approved by the Louisiana Supreme Court.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

* Not * everyone * has * money * (lol just lol at the idea of paying for law school via a day job, what is this, the boomer 1950's?)

I did it. Others at my old firm did it. In patent practices it's more common; you can become a patent agent first, do law school at nights, and then just get a promotion at the same firm later.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was a paralegal and went to evening school.

——

Most states if not all bam disbarred lawyers form doing that by many still so as like .. they need to work to live .

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

euphronius posted:

You seem to have gone to a poo poo law school.

Goondolences.

With this kind of negativity and cynicism, you don’t have to be scared of posting in the lawyer thread.

And of course I went to a poo poo law school.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

With this kind of negativity and cynicism, you don’t have to be scared of posting in the lawyer thread.

And of course I went to a poo poo law school.

It’s late on Friday and I’m a bit punchy.

I apologize for the needless insult.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

I did it. Others at my old firm did it. In patent practices it's more common; you can become a patent agent first, do law school at nights, and then just get a promotion at the same firm later.

Ok, fair enough. I have to wonder if that would still be possible today given rising costs of education -- I remember professors talking about how they'd paid $500, total cost, to go to law school back in the day. (I'm not sure my state currently has a law school that offers evening classes).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I work in business-side immigration, so there are basically zero court appearances or actual legal arguings, it's 99% completing forms and doing the administrative prep work. I started at my current firm several years ago along with another paralegal - in the intervening years she went to night school and is now a lawyer, I stayed out and got to see my family every day. So now she is an Associate and I am a 'Senior Legal Assistant', but there is virtually no difference in what we do - we both talk to clients and prepare forms/letters, and neither of us actually sign anything (that's done by partners). I guess in theory she could sign things and I can't, and she can also appear in immigration court for clients where I can't, but I have literally never had a client in court in more then ten years so its pretty slim. Earlier this year I did a bunch of digging into old guidance and memos and cases and wrote up a bunch of stuff that is now getting included in lots of our submissions, but because of the way it works that's not a 'brief' or anything formal like that. :shrug:

I've also seen plenty of small firms that were "led" by functionally inept license hanger attorneys but kept afloat by competent paralegals.
You see a ton of these in immigration firms, single-office places with 3-4 paralegals who do all the work and the attorney rolls in around 3pm to sign things before they're filed. It's definitely not a good arrangement though.

In my previous firm I got stuck nursemaiding a baby lawyer who had no idea what he was doing and it was one of the things that motivated me to bounce; I don't mind doing a lot of the grunt work, but drat I'm not going to be trying to puppet an attorney who makes more than me through basic competencies (the other thing was wage freezes and benefit cuts) .

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ok, fair enough. I have to wonder if that would still be possible today given rising costs of education -- I remember professors talking about how they'd paid $500, total cost, to go to law school back in the day. (I'm not sure my state currently has a law school that offers evening classes).

You'll want a public school (CUNY is $15K in-state, for example). You're probably right that if you have the day job to pay for law school without loans you aren't going to get a better job when you graduate barring other circumstance (winning the biglaw lottery etc.).

...but law school in the evening while maintaining a full-time paying job is going to require less loans than law school full-time with no job under most circumstances regardless.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don’t want to work for biglaw regardless.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Most states if not all bam disbarred lawyers form doing that by many still so as like .. they need to work to live .

I thought lawyers were supposed to be able to get ideas across clearly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t tell my phone what to type. It does what it want s.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

baquerd posted:

euphronius posted:

One in this situation could sue his or her estate as liability can arguably be personal.

However if the estate is closed good luck.

This is a good reason to always have your will updated by the way (say every five years)

And if the lawyer who wrote your will dies for the love of god get a new lawyer.

What Euph said but in every state for which I've encountered this even if the estate is closed you can just reopen it, though you might need to qualify yourself if the original fiduciary won't or is unavailable. In VA at least creditors can and do qualify as administrators to collect their debts against the estate. You still have statute of limitations issues to worry about though, some new ones of which may have started running at the lawyer's death.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

it looks like in my state you there are alternatives to going to law school to take the bar exam and be a lawyer which is pretty cool. The cheapest path to lawyering here is probably something like, paralegal associates degree, limited license legal technician program to make money to pay for the next steps, paralegal bachelors program, law clerk program and then attorney.

The cheapest path by far is to get a fantastic LSAT score and go to a low-ranking accredited school with a part-time program.

Edit: the LSAT is for scholarship money

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

get a fantastic LSAT score

that seems hard. You big time lawyers made fun of me for my basic knowledge of finding ways to take care of my own legal poo poo, but thats more than 99% of people can do and even if you could hire a lawyer for any of that poo poo it would probably be prohibitively expensive. When I was searching for a lawyer to help me get money from an uninsured driver who hit my car I ended up doing it mainly by myself and a little help from this thread and I ended up getting 10k which was 4k more than we spent on the car. No attorney would even actually help me because 'there was no guarantee we'd get any money'. My main interest in law would be helping myself and other people in situations like that where they can't find help anywhere else, not necessarily being some big shot lawyer making crisp hundred dollar bills every few minutes. Thats also why I said the end-game for me isn't necessarily being a lawyer, but learning more about law.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
1. Euph is right: Paralegals are fantastic, smart, and necessary to the practice of law, but they are not lawyers, they are not close in terms of legal ability to lawyers, and its not some classist bullshit to say as much. Sure, tons of the paperwork in the practice of law is rote drafting, but the actual mechanics of practicing law are simply beyond what a paralegal can learn by osmosis.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Or how about, "hell I've been framing houses for 10 years, how hard can it be to be an architect/engineer!"

You're an idiot. Nobody thinks they're better than you - you think they do because you're insecure.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you want to learn about law go to a school that teaches law, some sort of legal education place.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Copy from bad with money thread any tree lawyers around to comment on accuracy?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

You're an idiot. Nobody thinks they're better than you - you think they do because you're insecure.

call someone an idiot

claim you dont think you're better than them though

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
3. Concede that I too am an idiot. Checkmate bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

baquerd posted:

Copy from bad with money thread any tree lawyers around to comment on accuracy?

Someone posted a story - no idea of the veracity - but where a plaintiff sued because a neighbor had a tree company come onto his property and cut down a hundred-year old tree that had to develop in a forest, although if mature it could live fine in a yard - ie, it would be impossible to replace.

He was awarded about 1000 dollars per year of tree growth.