Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Blaze was envisioned as a main tank? But they gave him huge wave clear and self sustain? Uhhhhh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Erdricks posted:

Blaze was envisioned as a main tank? But they gave him huge wave clear and self sustain? Uhhhhh....

That's what the devs have said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Erdricks posted:

I mean, couldn't you say the same of Diablo? His wave-clear is pretty good and he has some of the best self-sustain in the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Blaze just is not very good in the 4 man. Diablo theoretically is lacking things that main tanks want but he's great in the 4 man so it doesnt really matter.

Double tank Diablo is imo great (on the right maps) and I'm usually happy to have diablo/mura on my team. But diablo is very killable while rotating which is probably why it's not done by actual good players and his wave clear is worse than you'd think (it was actually better pre-rework, his flames did much more damage).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 21, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Blaze’s first problem as main tank is that he doesn’t peel for his team. If you’re playing, say, Jaina, and Sonya gets on you, Garrosh can taunt or throw her away or throw you to safety. Jo can blind and pull/stun her. Blaze can, uh, maybe toss an oil slick that’ll slow her a little so you can walk away?

He also doesn’t have lockdown aside from his long cooldown, blockable stun with a windup. Again, he has that slow, but it doesn’t lock someone down, it just makes it slightly harder to get away (unless he’s used his main damage ability to light it up and you didn’t spend a talent on adhesive petroleum, in which circumstance it does nothing). He doesn’t root people like Arthas or stun them in place like Mura or toss them into his team like Garrosh.

He’s got incredible self sustain and waveclear and when he comes in for a flank he can brutalize a team fight but he’s not remotely MT material

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

No Wave posted:

The part about hidden MMR and ranked points somehow diverging even further since some recent change (causing longer queue times) was very strange.

Not terribly strange. If you believe their other statement that their changes to matchmaking have resulted in 'better matched games', which would imply that they're putting together games with lower MMR variances; then those games would end up having a larger impact on each individual player's MMR than games did previously, which would cause MMR to move faster than the relatively slow moving rank can keep up.

The players on an average 2200 ranked team will gain more points from winning a game against an average 2200 ranked team than they would if they won a game against an average 1900 ranked team because MMR is designed to give more meaning to games won against more even matchups than it gives to matchups that were slanted one way or the other.

The core problem is that they have two different systems. One is a mathematically sound system: MMR; and the other is a completely arbitrary system that's not at all based in any sort of rigor: ranking -- and they're both fed by fundamentally different inputs. So it's not surprising in the least that they're going to diverge, and they're going to diverge faster when either one of the two moves faster. And that leads to the result where someone might queue up and there be plenty of good opponents for them also in the queue, but they can't be matched with them because the matchmaking restrictions tied to the broken ranking system prevent it from happening.

The solution is to get rid of ranking entirely and just use MMR, but they aren't going to do that for.... reasons.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't know that mmr weighted even games more significantly but it makes sense. Your analysis is totally correct otherwise - not only are ranked points pointless but they're hurting matchmaking and queue times, often quite significantly.

Currently the system has to essentially satisfy two distinct matchmaking algorithms.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Blaze’s first problem as main tank is that he doesn’t peel for his team. If you’re playing, say, Jaina, and Sonya gets on you, Garrosh can taunt or throw her away or throw you to safety. Jo can blind and pull/stun her. Blaze can, uh, maybe toss an oil slick that’ll slow her a little so you can walk away?

He also doesn’t have lockdown aside from his long cooldown, blockable stun with a windup. Again, he has that slow, but it doesn’t lock someone down, it just makes it slightly harder to get away (unless he’s used his main damage ability to light it up and you didn’t spend a talent on adhesive petroleum, in which circumstance it does nothing). He doesn’t root people like Arthas or stun them in place like Mura or toss them into his team like Garrosh.

He’s got incredible self sustain and waveclear and when he comes in for a flank he can brutalize a team fight but he’s not remotely MT material

I came here to post basically this but you already covered all of the bases for me

fake edit: the only thing you didn't do was compare him to Sonya to explain why he's terrible MT material

Kith fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 21, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
B-but Sonya isn't a main tank either?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bogart posted:

B-but Sonya isn't a main tank either?

:thejoke:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tyrael is another character who fails lots of main tank metrics but he's still used because he's good in the 4 man (has aoe buffs, can get in and out reliably, etc). I don't think Blaze's moveset is fundamentally flawed, if you removed his aoe attack and weakened his pve damage and buffed a bunch of crap to compensate it might be plausible. But that's a lot of ifs, and i doubt it will happen.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 21, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Tyrael is weird cause he's kinda a feel-bad character. He can make a serious impact on the game, but always kinda looks and feels like he's not doing anything, because he's not a playmaker. He's more a constant presence the other team has to play around.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Team Dignitas vs Roll20 Esports is starting off with a bang. Munky/onepricktony, the famous Samuro one-trick, is subbing in for Wubby on Team Dignitas and they first-picked Samuro. Mephisto is also now live in HGC and playing.

https://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i know HGC is boring for a lot of people here but wubby is referred to by other pros as the best solo laner in the world and is by most estimates the best player period outside of korea. And they replaced him with a guy who has a level 300 samuro.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

i know HGC is boring for a lot of people here but wubby is referred to by other pros as the best solo laner in the world and is by most estimates the best player period outside of korea. And they replaced him with a guy who has a level 300 samuro.

And he showed why.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

Tyrael is another character who fails lots of main tank metrics but he's still used because he's good in the 4 man (has aoe buffs, can get in and out reliably, etc). I don't think Blaze's moveset is fundamentally flawed, if you removed his aoe attack and weakened his pve damage and buffed a bunch of crap to compensate it might be plausible. But that's a lot of ifs, and i doubt it will happen.

I haven't seen a tyrael Ingame since I returned to the game, so maybe 150 matches. I assume he's played some in pro?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I haven't seen a tyrael Ingame since I returned to the game, so maybe 150 matches. I assume he's played some in pro?

He's got a very specific niche as a force multiplier in good hands with good teammates.

Otherwise he's kind of a drag and just not that fun to play as.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

yeah a bit. Realistically i'm sort of trying to understand the whole main tank "thing" in terms of how much of a necessity it seems to be yet how flexible it can be in terms of who exactly fills the role (what do tyrael, diablo, and johanna have in common, as different extremes).

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

We all know that it is alextheprog that’s the best.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

No Wave posted:

They brought him in for just one game; someone said Wubby was stuck in traffic and Wubby was playing in the next game, so it's very likely they picked Munky just because he was a GM EU player eligible and willing to immediately come play in HGC.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It makes some sense to bring in someone who constantly splitpushes in that situation. Much easier to coordinate on macro than to rely on winning teamfights without having practiced.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Tyreal's moves all barely register as having done anything. Not a single one of his moves other than judgement feels like you're even hitting buttons. IMO they should replace smite with a cooler more that has more umph to it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

He's just an older hero without many of the kinetic and stun moves that newer heroes have, and his warp-back-to-his-sword move should probably have some kind of displacement.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bake in five or so talents to Tyrael and make W and E do more and he'd be fine. or make judgment his new Trait :getin:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it loving owns seeing y'all say all of the poo poo that i said about tyreal years ago

No Wave posted:

I don't think Blaze's moveset is fundamentally flawed, if you removed his aoe attack and weakened his pve damage and buffed a bunch of crap to compensate it might be plausible. But that's a lot of ifs, and i doubt it will happen.

As a character, there's nothing wrong with him - he's an amazing offlaner and an amazing offtank. However, none of his design beats hit what makes a good Main Tank.

Main Tanks need to be able to apply effective peel (ETC, Muradin), generate pick opportunities (Garrosh, Stitches), or mitigate damage (Tyreal, Leoric). Blaze isn't really capable of doing any of those things (or if he is, he's not very good at them) and so his abilities are going to need a major overhaul if Blizzard wants him to fulfull the Main Tank role.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bogart posted:

make judgment his new Trait :getin:

Im changing my tyreal vote to this

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I mean, what is judgment really other than a fancy Diablo q on a longer cooldown?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Hey I need a vod for this Munky subbing in!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

lucifirius posted:

Hey I need a vod for this Munky subbing in!

http://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes/v/312868882?sr=a&t=10683s

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Thanks! He's one of my favorite streamers just because of the skill required to use Samuro to full potential.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Tyrael works as a main tank because when he's used you generally don't need peel. He dives in with his team (and is v. good for diving), gives the other divers shields and buffs, can talent a magnificent displacement, and at 10 makes the entire dive invulnerable.

He's dreadful in a more standard comp because he has none of the tools that MTs bring to the table. IMO he's a bad example when discussing the broader 'tank or solo laner' because he isn't either - I don't think there's another warrior with as specific a niche as him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Shibawanko posted:

He's just an older hero without many of the kinetic and stun moves that newer heroes have, and his warp-back-to-his-sword move should probably have some kind of displacement.

A long time ago, he used to have a talent that gave him a displacement on his Smite, but Blizzard removed it, presumably because it was too disruptive.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/HeroesHearth_gg/status/1043318981304754176

Tomorrow's match means absolutely nothing to HHE, so tomorrow at 4 PM CST bambam will make his return to HGC.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://twitter.com/blizzheroes/status/1043201563513245702?s=21

code:
set max_qtime=600s;
set min_quality = 0.95;
while qtime < max_qtime
{
     find_players();
}

if match_quality < min_quality
{
     set match_quality=min_quality;
}
I can't believe they never thought of this before

e: pithy comment aside, it seems this was actually undoing some lovely code the community asked for. They had made matchmaking care about MMR (yeah sure) plus Rank to avoid "rainbow games" where ranks were spread out more. If someone's MMR differed from their Rank, it'd take time to find a game with someone else whose MMR differed from their rank in the same way.

After the hotfix, it'll go back to mostly caring about MMR, not Rank. Some people will complain "OMG gg we have a silver on our team" but long queue times are worse than triggering morons I guess

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 22, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gobbeldygook posted:

https://twitter.com/HeroesHearth_gg/status/1043318981304754176

Tomorrow's match means absolutely nothing to HHE, so tomorrow at 4 PM CST bambam will make his return to HGC.

Any idea what the rules are for replacing Arthelon? I'm more than a little surprised they didn't plug in a permanent replacement before Blizzcon, if for no other reason than to put some serious work in and make the team gel.

E: I know they can't plug in a guy that has not lived in NA for at least six months, is in the Crucible or was part of an HGC team when the rosters locked, so I'm kind of surprised they aren't just rolling with Homicidal.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 22, 2018

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Tanks need to do 4 things (in pro play):

1. Control Vision
Be able to wait in a bush and see the enemy coming and being able to not die if they collapse on you. Generally this means some sort of escape.

2. Initiate
Be able to isolate a target reliably so that your team can blow them up. Generally, hard cc that is hard to counterplay.

3. Peel
Be able to get the enemy team off your backline so they don’t die. Generally, displacement is the best, healing and slows are also good.

4. Survivability
Not dying to poke or the enemy diving on you. Armor, high health, sustain, etc.

If you’re missing one of these others on your team can make it up, but if you’re missing more than one you probably can’t main tank.

Blaze doesn’t control vision well and his initiate is poor. Both require his E which is telegraphed and blockable.

Tyrael however controls vision great, initiates with move speed, has amazing peel after 13 with Holy Ground plus his shields, and is pretty hard to kill.
He really wants a dive team and he’s really hard to play well, partially because his abilities don’t feel impactful.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
All this tank talk reminded me of this overview JHow made about different tank types, their synergies and counters.
Engagement/All In
  • Anub’arak
  • Varian
Area Control/Sustain/Counter Engage
  • Arthas
  • Johanna
  • Tyrael
Engage/Counter Engage
  • Diablo
  • ETC
  • Muradin
Pick-Off (Get 1 Kill)
  • Garrosh
  • Stitches

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CavalierGuest’s Art of the Tank hasn’t been updated in a while, but the general information is still good.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1efiJPDPIvUez4tD0B1mfp9Kq9d-sLhvh6aPB5O045M0/edit?usp=sharing

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

All this tank talk reminded me of this overview JHow made about different tank types, their synergies and counters.
Engagement/All In
  • Anub’arak
  • Varian
  • Arthas
  • Johanna
  • Tyrael
Engage/Counter Engage
  • Diablo
  • ETC
  • Muradin
Pick-Off (Get 1 Kill)
  • Garrosh
  • Stitches

Things like this mostly just remind me how few tanks and off-laners there actually are in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBox
Aug 15, 2002

unpronounceable posted:

Engagement/All In
  • Anub’arak
  • Varian
  • Arthas
  • Johanna
  • Tyrael
Engage/Counter Engage
  • Diablo
  • ETC
  • Muradin
Pick-Off (Get 1 Kill)
  • Garrosh
  • Stitches

I would include Garrosh as having pretty good area control by the threat of his ability to pick off a target. Stitches doesn't create the same space denial, probably because the hook doesn't come with a body block.