Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the thing where the chimera just kinda wiggles in the beginning while three people climb around on top of it at various glitchy angles doesn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm in me, but I couldn't even beat Dragon's Dogma single player so maybe its just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm guessing from the stars spinning around its head that it was stunned.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Harrow posted:

God drat it I might have to give it a try

Do you have to do things to unlock classes like Alchemist and High Scepter?

Not exactly.

You start the game as one of four classes in the tutorial and then once you are out of it can go to the inn in the main town and change to any class you want except high scepter. That takes a small walking quest.

Also meet the dreaded catoblepas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chwdbyRDWwI

As for pawn training, they seem to mimic you if you play as that class but there is also a training thing where the more you play with them, the more conditions you can set such as target this size creature first or if boss is enraged, try to do this move.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Image for pawn training

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drinkfist posted:

We have been playing Dragons Dogma Online for weeks now and this loving game never ends. There is literally 200+ hours of poo poo here. Every time we think we are nearing the last zone and endgame poo poo it adds 4 more zones and a pile more poo poo to do. Somehow we are now in some kind of Lord of the Rings story arc that has four huge zones of poo poo spanning with a loving 4 man Beholder raid and a dragon with a goddam tank cannon on its back you have to break off.

They even managed to stop Sorcerers from being broken as gently caress with a new armor mechanic past level 70 making large monster a lot harder to deal with without some prissy gently caress nuking it with meteor spam. I can't begin to tell you how surprised I am about this goddam game and it's never leaving Japan.

Come into CTS 2.0 mumble if you want to give it a shot with us. There is guild housing that we haven't even unlocked the loving front door to for Guild missions and poo poo. Right now we are just sleeping out in the rain. This game is literally the real Dungeons and Dragons the game.

Its free to play. All you need is the client, the translation patch and a VPN to log in and then you can turn it off once you are in game. 95% of the game has zero lag.

gently caress I'm gonna have to try this.

Make a ddo thread?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress I'm gonna have to try this.

Make a ddo thread?

Ill compress the client and set up a torrent so you don't have to download poo poo on a full japan vpn. Then Ill consider creating a thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drinkfist posted:

Ill compress the client and set up a torrent so you don't have to download poo poo on a full japan vpn. Then Ill consider creating a thread.

Thanks!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Very sad that DDO isn't being brought to the states because ????

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Japan doesn't understand the western market.

also they love gambling and loving you in a more hardcore way than american companies do

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I am writing up this thread but its gonna take a bit as I am creatively dead. You can talk to us in CTS 2.0 mumble and we can walk you though getting the game and playing it if you want something before the thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress yes I love DDON, I need to dust off my old character from a year or two back and jump in with you guys when the thread/download is up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

I am writing up this thread but its gonna take a bit as I am creatively dead. You can talk to us in CTS 2.0 mumble and we can walk you though getting the game and playing it if you want something before the thread.

You can always post the thread in a reasonable starting state and then edit the OP post with more information later on

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Turns out I am completely poo poo when it comes to torrents and getting poo poo to work so I am just gonna upload it to Mega.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can always post the thread in a reasonable starting state and then edit the OP post with more information later on

That would put shame to my Skyforge and The Secret World threads I made in the past.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I appreciate the effort but I'm not gonna do VPN trickery and then try and decipher Japanese menus

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drinkfist posted:

Turns out I am completely poo poo when it comes to torrents and getting poo poo to work so I am just gonna upload it to Mega.

That would put shame to my Skyforge and The Secret World threads I made in the past.

Waiting on this with bated breath.

Is the game good for just dropping in and out for an hour or so with a small group of friends? say 2-6 people at a time?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869071

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

The DPRK posted:

Waiting on this with bated breath.

Is the game good for just dropping in and out for an hour or so with a small group of friends? say 2-6 people at a time?

Yeah. Also you can make your own AI controlled Pawns to form a party so you don't need to lie to us about your friends.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

I appreciate the effort but I'm not gonna do VPN trickery and then try and decipher Japanese menus

VPN trickery is needed but most of us playing right now are using mudfish, put 5 dollars into it years ago, and still have change.

But the menus are 90% in english.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Third World Reggin posted:

VPN trickery is needed but most of us playing right now are using mudfish, put 5 dollars into it years ago, and still have change.

But the menus are 90% in english.

The menus being in English is a godsend and piqued my interest

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Ok I got the client uploaded to MEGA. Someone who is giving this a shot tell me how much it sucks to download 30 GB from there so I can see if there is a better way.

I put the link in the thread that Bergfu is making GBS threads all over for fun. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869071

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My dream mmo is WoW but there's player housing and it scales to group size so I can duo the entire game with my wife

Also the transmog is completely unrestricted.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is nice to dream that you have a wife.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I remember my friend showing me Ultima Online back when it was topdog, and when I saw that you had to afk macro-train your skills I laughed out loud. This was back in the dial-up days, when many people had hourly internet caps and other dumb poo poo, and the idea of leaving your computer running overnight so that your dude would be better at polearms or tradeskills was bizarre to me. Even then people knew that for open-world stuff the only appeal was griefing other players, the actual gameplay is just watching your guy repeatedly perform animations.

Then he got into EQ and very nearly dropped out of high school for that game in 2000. One of my college buddies did drop out for it in 2001. I was playing very casually and never got past low 30s at the time (Luclin, maybe). I'm enjoying reliving it now, but holy poo poo, dropping out of school for EQ :psyduck:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I had a friend who basically handicapped his own lifetime milestone goals by way of WoW. Nothing like everyone coming back from college or having a real trade and his dumbass is the door guy at Best Buy because he has to raid four times a week.

Last I checked he's just a drunk now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Third World Reggin posted:

It is nice to dream that you have a wife.

I can't believe you'd give me the ol' spicy forum post, you rat

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I heard WoW poo poo the bed recently, can someone tell me exactly what happened?

purple death ray posted:

My dream mmo is WoW but there's player housing and it scales to group size so I can duo the entire game with my wife

Also the transmog is completely unrestricted.

Doesn't have the scaling or the unrestricted transmogs, but FF14 is very pleasant, and more or less plays like anime WoW with less cruft. Me and my boyfriend have found it to be a good place to be sweet at each other in.

Also you can get married, granting a ring that lets you instantly teleport to your spouse's side. :kimchi:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 21, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I heard WoW poo poo the bed recently, can someone tell me exactly what happened?

The current expansion is not as good as the last one.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Shy posted:

The current expansion is not as good as the last one.

Wasn't the last one also not too good despite being a huge improvement from the one before?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

No, the last one was very successful and is already fondly remembered.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lizard Wizard posted:

Doesn't have the scaling or the unrestricted transmogs, but FF14 is very pleasant, and more or less plays like anime WoW with less cruft. Me and my boyfriend have found it to be a good place to be sweet at each other in.

Also you can get married, granting a ring that lets you instantly teleport to your spouse's side. :kimchi:

I played ffxiv for a while after 2.0 came out and I loved it. Unfortunately she was never able to get very interested in it and I eventually walked away. Besides I thought it was not a casual friendly game and we are pretty casual.

That does sound cool as heck though

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Besides I thought it was not a casual friendly game and we are pretty casual.

nah the game's very chill

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Vanilla servers are going to be the biggest waste of time. The only acceptable outcome for them is if they create new content specific for Vanilla like some kind of alternate timeline, and that's basically never going to happen. There's going to be riot in the loving streets if they apply a burning crusade patch, and otherwise the game sits stagnant forever on a Naxx patch after 2 years or so.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

hobocrunch posted:

Vanilla servers are going to be the biggest waste of time. The only acceptable outcome for them is if they create new content specific for Vanilla like some kind of alternate timeline, and that's basically never going to happen. There's going to be riot in the loving streets if they apply a burning crusade patch, and otherwise the game sits stagnant forever on a Naxx patch after 2 years or so.

I think a bunch of people will join and then 90% will quit after a week because dealing with poo poo from Vanilla is tedious.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rep grinds :stonklol:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

I think a bunch of people will join and then 90% will quit after a week because dealing with poo poo from Vanilla is tedious.

That's my plan. I'm almost sure it's not going to last but I'll definitely try.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I want vanilla with a 1.5x exp rate, no rep grinds, a dungeon finder, and some other QoL systems with the same treatment applied to old content as it gets released. It won't play out that way though

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Glass of Milk posted:

The first everquest have servers running older versions of it and they start adding expansions after a set time. So like, for example, after 6 month they would add the burning crusade and start a new instence vanilla servers so eventually you would have multiple server running multiple version of the game.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 21, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'd rule to play without diminishing returns.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Bleusilences posted:

The first everquest have servers running older versions of it and they start adding expansions after a set time. So like, for example, after 6 month they would add the burning crusade and start a new instence vanilla servers so eventually you would have multiple server running multiple version of the game.

Yeah I sure do want to play on a server with the effective deletion of my character coming up in 2 years, that seems like a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I agree but I just wish they deleted your character sooner.