Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Prophet Rev2 16 voice :homebrew: unless anyone has some horror stories about them.

I do miss the lil' Mopho I used to have :smith:, but it had to go when I was getting rid of all my monosynths except for my eurorack and my X0Xbox since those were the two irreplaceable monos that can do things no polysynth quite gets perfect.

A 16 voice poly Rev2 though, well that lets me get more of that Prophet and mod-matrix goodness, in addition to lush stacked analog layers, without violating my "no more monos" rule :getin:

I can't recall the last time I saw anyone in here mention owning and DSI stuff, does anyone in here even still buy the higher-end modern synths like the Prophets?
'Cause sometimes it feels like I'm the only person readin' this thread who isn't permanently on the Teenage Engineering/Elektron/Medusa/Volca boutique-or-cheap oddball synth crackpipe... :catdrugs:

edit: Welcome to page (JX-)305
(that was the first synth I ever bought new, back in 1999)

edit edit: I also just now realized that I've had, at one point or another, all of the various models in Roland's JX series, in one way or another: one of the first synths I ever bought used was a JX-3P, then a few years later I got my 305, and then up until 5 years ago I had a JX-10 (which also counts as a JX-8P, since it is literally just the 76 key version of the 8P with double the polyphony, and the two are patch-compatible and use the same PG-800 external programmer and memory carts).

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I've got a Pro2 and P6 module, they're fine. If you've been reading Tempest drama or early concerns with rotary encoders over pots and are worried eh. The hardware is fine these days. The firmware is mostly straight. I haven't had any wacky trubs.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I've got a Prophet 08 module (that I need to sell--it's a great module, I'm just not a fan of the Curtis filter) and an OB-6 keyboard that is literally the best sounding synth I've ever laid my hands on (though I wish it was as flexible wrt modulation as the 08). DSI puts out quality instruments and both of their synths that I own feel well built and durable. I would not hesitate to recommend their stuff if the sound speaks to you.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Bolange posted:

I've got a Prophet 08 module (that I need to sell--it's a great module, I'm just not a fan of the Curtis filter) and an OB-6 keyboard that is literally the best sounding synth I've ever laid my hands on (though I wish it was as flexible wrt modulation as the 08). DSI puts out quality instruments and both of their synths that I own feel well built and durable. I would not hesitate to recommend their stuff if the sound speaks to you.

All of this DSI love is making me really happy that I decided to pull the trigger on an OB-6 module.

It's going to replace an Analog Four Mk2, which is really great - but I feel like its greatness is in its sequencing capability, which I have 0 use for in how I write. OB6 comes in next week - I'm excited to say the least.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bolange posted:

Oh, I’m well familiar, as I mentioned I used to own a Mopho, which was basically the Pro-One II (they actually have that name printed on the circuit board inside) version of Prophet ‘08.

As far as the sound, what sold me on it was this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2FO0dw7Nk
At the 3:25 point where it goes on to do a fairly credible imitation of a CS-80.

Considering a CS-80 is my “won the jackpot dream synth”, and for over a decade a Prophet-5 was one of my dream synths, I’ll take a synth with “Prophet” on it that can imitate a CS-80, thanks. :grin:

The P6 and OB-6 modules were on my shortlist and price range, but in the end the greater polyphony, more complex modulation options, and having it in keyboard format (since part of it is from listing over P5s so much, and wanting to have that Prophet name showing out the back of my kb stand when I’m playing that a module wasn’t quite what I wanted). If I really need the slightly meatier sound that a P6 could offer over a Rev 2, well, I can just multitrack my modular and layer that.

e: and the massive polyphony + the ability to layer and split are huge for Rev 2 as well. You can afford to make everything a two layer patch :getin:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 22, 2018

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
id never get a DSI synth but thats cuz if i ever bought a poly again itd be to adjust the filter key tracking manually while the filters are self oscillating -- a really great way to kill some time if its a knob control, but awful boring if its just an on/off switch

assuming you want a poly for something more than weird corner cases, DSI stuff is generally as well regarded everywhere else as in the preceding few posts ✌️

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Any recommendations for some budget studio monitors?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
JBL LSR305

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

byob historian posted:

assuming you want a poly for something more than weird corner cases

It’s shameful, but true; I write actual songs with defined structure, I don’t make 90 minute loops of robot farts :negative:. I should turn in my badge.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Gross.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I’m going to smoke a bowl and fiddle around with my eurorack for two hours while not recording anything as penance.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

HotCanadianChick posted:

It’s shameful, but true; I write actual songs with defined structure, I don’t make 90 minute loops of robot farts :negative:. I should turn in my badge.

isnt that what real instruments are for tho :thunk:

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

This. Switched from old KRK to these, never going back to anything else. I don't think in entry level/budget monitors you can beat the JBLs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have them too. Plus they don’t look weird

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I have them too. Plus they don’t look weird

"plus" im dyin here 😅😂🤣

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

byob historian posted:

isnt that what real instruments are for tho :thunk:

nah lmao

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

BeigeJacket posted:

Any recommendations for some budget studio monitors?

I got the LSR308's and they're too big for my space - I wish I had gotten 305's and a sub, and will probably do a sell/trade in that direction.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i know, im still making modular music even when im playing guitar

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I got the LSR308's and they're too big for my space - I wish I had gotten 305's and a sub, and will probably do a sell/trade in that direction.

I made the same mistake. :allears:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Figured I would ask here since this gets decent traffic. Do we have a thread in ML for discussing leasing/selling your music online? I recently just signed up for an Airbit account so I could start leasing my beats so I am trying to learn all I can about how to maximize the various revenue streams. Was wondering if anyone else had experience doing this because between ASCAP, Copyright, Airbit, and Tunecore/Distrokid, it can be pretty confusing what you need.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

byob historian posted:

i know, im still making modular music even when im playing guitar

If you're not making modular music with the guitar you haven't bought enough pedals.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone have a DrumBrute? Seems too good to be true for the price.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A lot of people don't like the sound. I don't know what they're on about. It's a very good machine - lots of instruments, great sequencing gimmicks, separate outs; I dunno about "for the price" but I'd say yes, it is that good.

Only thing is if you happen to have a Beatstep Pro that has pretty much the same sequencing capabilities, so in that specific case you could hook up any drum machine you like, or for example use a Volca Sample to get classic sounds plus modern complex sequencing.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
^^

get one on the cheap, they sound like a busted 808
also never use it clean, the sound totally benefits from some effects

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Clavavisage posted:

^^

get one on the cheap, they sound like a busted 808
also never use it clean, the sound totally benefits from some effects

Yeah there are a few of them on ebay for cheap.

Busted 808 sounds very niceeeee e

I plan to have the Big Muff hooked up to it 24/7.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
The Drumbrute has an amazing sequencer and workflow, I love that about it. The sounds are super limited though. The clap is really quiet and the snare kinda sucks.

If the price is comparable to the new Drumbrute Impact I would highly suggest giving that a look. I don't own one but from all the demos I've seen the sounds are way better out of the box, and the "color" variations for each sound and distortion make it look a lot more useful overall. I'd trade my OG drumbrute for the new one straight up.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Sexy Randal posted:

The Drumbrute has an amazing sequencer and workflow, I love that about it. The sounds are super limited though. The clap is really quiet and the snare kinda sucks.

If the price is comparable to the new Drumbrute Impact I would highly suggest giving that a look. I don't own one but from all the demos I've seen the sounds are way better out of the box, and the "color" variations for each sound and distortion make it look a lot more useful overall. I'd trade my OG drumbrute for the new one straight up.

On second thought I just heard a demo and REALLY didn't like the clap.

I also don't have a whole lot of synths to sequence so it doesn't have much value to me as a sequencer.

Maybe I'll just pick up a minilouge or another microkorg. Been eyeing those for years.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Found a Nord lead used for $675, is that a good price? It’s the first one, 94-95 I believe.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

64bit_Dophins posted:

On second thought I just heard a demo and REALLY didn't like the clap.

I also don't have a whole lot of synths to sequence so it doesn't have much value to me as a sequencer.

Maybe I'll just pick up a minilouge or another microkorg. Been eyeing those for years.

Just a point of clarification, you can't sequence synths with the Drumbrute the way the Beatstep Pro does.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Found a Nord lead used for $675, is that a good price? It’s the first one, 94-95 I believe.

I have no idea what the going rate is for them, but, I used to own an original Nord Lead, bought it new. It's a very nice, stable, straightforward interface. The sound is.... the Nord sound. If you like the Clavia filters and Osc's, you'll like it a lot. The Lead 1 and the Modular 1 have a sound generally characterized as "brighter" "harsher" and "edgier" than the sound from the NL2/Modular G2.

All that said, $700 seems like a lot for a 20 year old virtual analog synth that could probably be emulated 100% accurately by your PC today.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

There’s one on reverb for 600 so not really.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I can't believe I missed it but I just found out about the Moog Grandmother and holy poo poo my wallet is about to take a fat nosedive.

Anyone pick one up yet?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sexy Randal posted:

Just a point of clarification, you can't sequence synths with the Drumbrute the way the Beatstep Pro does.
Technically you can sequence a synth with the Drumbrute but I don't know if it's worth the effort.

but yeah when I said "same sequencing capabilities" I implicitly meant the BSP's drum sequencer, sorry about any confusion

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Thanks for the replies, bought some FX pedals instead.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thanks for the replies, bought some FX pedals instead.

What'd you get?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

What'd you get?

Two BOss pedals- RV-6 reverb and NS-2 noise suppressor (wasn’t planning on the second one but it was on sale for $40). I’ve been following some ambient/shoegaze-y guys on instagram, they’ve been doing some really interesting stuff with cassettes and reverb, slowing things way down - not sure if that’s the route I want to go exactly, but leaning towards a setup for minimalist/ambient stuff.

For reference to some of the sound I’m trying to explore, the Instagram guys I’ve been checking out are preampband, blankfor.ms, hainbach101, rednaw.wonder, and shoegazecity.

Anyone else mess around with weird pedal based setups, or use cassettes in their mixes? I’m still trying to figure it out but I’m curious.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emkdNWaNQww

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I get the digital space echo pedal

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I get the digital space echo pedal

the question is, should you get a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

I can't believe I missed it but I just found out about the Moog Grandmother and holy poo poo my wallet is about to take a fat nosedive.

Anyone pick one up yet?

i aint yet but drat it look like itd be fun to take out with the ol 6U