Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ns6fEdXCnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV-E_KANm18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
:eyepop:

(fittingly)

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Wait that WASN'T a fever dream? holy poo poo I thought I had some hosed up nightmare about scorpions making characters in the simpson's eyes pop out. jeez.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What the gently caress is this poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

this is the only episode post season 8 I actually remember ever seeing. had some weird joke about the german guy actually being augustus gloop from willy wonka. not like the actor from the movie or whatever but an actual person that exists in the simpsons universe where those events happened somehow.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think the first episode I noticed jerk-rear end Homer as a kid was the one where Abe's kidney burst. There's a joke in the Wild West video where an alcoholic makes a fool of himself and Homer laughs at something serious he said. The drunk then falls into a water bin and drowns in front of a crowd that does nothing. Then Homer basically almost kills his dead so he can catch In the Actor's Studio. Even as a kid, I really started to hate Homer after that one.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mycophobia posted:

this is the only episode post season 8 I actually remember ever seeing. had some weird joke about the german guy actually being augustus gloop from willy wonka. not like the actor from the movie or whatever but an actual person that exists in the simpsons universe where those events happened somehow.
Said German guy is none other than Werner Herzog.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The one question I want answered is who is watching this show? I’ve never met anyone who still watches the Simpsons.

Who are the current Simpsons viewers and where do they come from?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DropsySufferer posted:

The one question I want answered is who is watching this show? I’ve never met anyone who still watches the Simpsons.

I’m convinced just boomers watch new Simpsons since they’re the only ones that watch broadcast TV anymore too.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

iirc someone involved with the show said that "Mapple" was an intentionally bad parody, partially intended to incite fans. So, the usual contempt for the fanbase the show has held since Al Jean took over as showrunner.

Haha! I’m pretending to be an idiot!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DropsySufferer posted:

They spring from the soil for 22 minutes at a time to watch the new episodes and disintegrate away as soon as it concludes thanks to dark arts down at Fox to keep up ratings.

Alternatively, I think it's just evolved into lazy viewing where people just have it on just to have something on, the closest thing to a passionate Simpsons watcher I've seen in like a decade now is either bitter fans hatewatching it like the zombie Simpsons guy or desperate fans effectively going 'It's still good! It's still good!' like some of the Simpsons podcasts.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm convinced Fox just keeps it around to keep their merchandise and licensed theme park attractions relevant. The only people viewing it are probably the ones watching the other shows in the animated line-up and figure "why not?".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have two friends who insist on steaming every new episode and swear that they still enjoy it. But any time they put it on they stare at their phones the whole time. So that is who “watches” it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Friends don't let friends watch new Simpsons

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spaceblancmange posted:

Friends don't let friends watch new Simpsons

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The lowest point was when this thread hit 5,000 replies.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We should make this thread last as long as the Simpsons, only 28 years to go

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hotel Kpro posted:

We should make this thread last as long as the Simpsons, only 28 years to go

Season 54, Episode 3: Bart writes an AI so he can take two girls to the prom stream at the same time. Homer reprograms it to give him beer recommendations. Pretty good episode, 6/10.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

PostNouveau posted:

Season 54, Episode 3: Bart writes an AI so he can take two girls to the prom stream at the same time. Homer reprograms it to give him beer recommendations. Pretty good episode, 6/10.

Of course I am imagining that they are at least five years late making jokes about these technological trends.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

The first episode had some weird pacing issues. Like they made sure there was a delay and no music after every joke, maybe for a non-implemented laugh track or something.

It got better, but never really funny.

The pacing and soundtrack were so bad I physically couldn’t finish the episode.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is what new Simpsons is like, I think it's a Halloween episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQ6jAFYKhU

listen to Marge's voice

and good lord, not even a single attempt at a joke

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Her voice makes my throat hurt! :gonk:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Jesus what is up with the pacing in that clip

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wait, is that the way the thing is really cut? Not some fan edit?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Wait, is that the way the thing is really cut? Not some fan edit?

No, it seems to be the whole Halloween episode condensed to 13 minutes of “highlights”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Homer singing is so tiresome and depressing

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's cut in weird places to throw off the YouTube copyright algorithm but you get the essence

It's shockingly bad

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I thought it was just them trying to condence an episode down enough to fit more car commercials.

The last segment was interesting but the whole thing was just awful. There were a few jokes that were good but then we're burried under yelling or a reference to a previous episode or some other sight gag.

I'm hoping there exists some super fan similar to the actor who plays Eric from that 70s Show who does some Star Wars prequel super edit of the entire series from season 13 to the end where they make good episodes out of all the bad ones. Could probably make like 3 good seasons of just the best plot elements and jokes. Especially seeing how they reuse a lot of the plots.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Houle posted:

I'm hoping there exists some super fan similar to the actor who plays Eric from that 70s Show who does some Star Wars prequel super edit

Topher Grace makes Star Wars fan edits?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Pretty sure it was him. He took the entire prequel trilogy and cut it down into one solid prequel movie and showed it to his friends. Still waiting for it to be leaked since I'm really interested in it.

If it's not him then the magic is broken since having the actor who plays Eric be an equally nerdy Star Wars fan in real life is magical to me. Similar to how conspiracy theorist Steve's actor is a Scientologist because of Laura Prepon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Topher Grace makes Star Wars fan edits?

Yeah, he does editing for fun. There was a thing a while back about how he got depressed while filming BlackkKlansman because he was playing David Duke and regularly had to say horribly racist things. So to cheer himself up he edited the Hobbit trilogy into one much shorter movie.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

porfiria posted:

I know it's Youtube comments but

gutz1981
2 years ago
Typical Lisa. Thinks shes so clever, but when her plans fall apart for her, she turns on the "Please feel sorry for me." switch and expects to get away with her mistake. Well TS little girl. Ha ha

From watching classic ep clips on Youtube, I found out that there's a whole of guys who think Homer's mom is awful and selfish (i.e. typical woman) and Abe was a good man forced to raise his son on his own who is an example to all single fathers.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

This is what new Simpsons is like, I think it's a Halloween episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQ6jAFYKhU

listen to Marge's voice

and good lord, not even a single attempt at a joke

Well while the writing was garbage, the Coraline clip at least looked like it had some effort put in.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have two friends who insist on steaming every new episode and swear that they still enjoy it. But any time they put it on they stare at their phones the whole time. So that is who “watches” it.

Yes, and you call them steamed episodes despite the fact they are obviously grilled.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Yes, and you call them steamed episodes despite the fact they are obviously grilled.

Y'know I.... one thing I should..... excuse me for one second.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
The discussion of Warner Herzog reminded me of this, Max von Sydow's appearance on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrgHR1wiaz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxJ5Rel-VDw

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 24, 2018

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Also, I fear that someone in the writing room thought "Ah, my chowder" would both be hilarious and quotable, thinking they created a brand new meme.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Houle posted:

Also, I fear that someone in the writing room thought "Ah, my chowder" would both be hilarious and quotable, thinking they created a brand new meme.
The problem was they didn’t say chowda right.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

emgeejay posted:

No, it seems to be the whole Halloween episode condensed to 13 minutes of “highlights”

Yeah, but the pacing is pretty bad in episodes anyway. Actors talk slower and are having trouble with their voices (see earlier Marge clip) and there's more pauses between lines. There's also a ton of "oops I forgot to tell a joke" where any sort of writing is broken up with lots of monkeycheese (I catch an episode every once in a while, and tons of Homer's lines are random humor nonsense). A Goon linked this in another thread and Carl's Gecko line a little example of the bad punch-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lDaaTgX5Q

I just want to know if someone wanted to do that Gecko line and ended up writing an entire episode around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Homer eating himself segment is probably the most disturbing Treehouse segment they’ve ever done. If only it was funny too.