Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Colonel J posted:

When I was younger and getting into prog metal, I revered Dream Theater. Queensryche were always mentioned along them, but 15 years later I still dont get why. They're so awful.

Same. There are a couple of songs that I like (I Don't Believe in Love has been mentioned), but there are very few popular bands that don't have at least a couple of palatable tracks. Thematically, though, Queensryche are abysmal. This photo of Tate speaks louder than a thousand words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Paladinus posted:

Same. There are a couple of songs that I like (I Don't Believe in Love has been mentioned), but there are very few popular bands that don't have at least a couple of palatable tracks. Thematically, though, Queensryche are abysmal. This photo of Tate speaks louder than a thousand words.

Long hair Geoff Tate is the only Geoff Tate

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

geoff taint

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jet city woman is a good butt rock song

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Queensryche is good, and OM is better than any Dream Theater album. May God have mercy on all of your souls.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The one with the pink cover is the best one. But I can’t remember what it’s called. And it’s not as good as that sunny day real estate record as far as albums with pink covers go.
Edit: rage for order

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 10, 2018

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Astrochicken posted:

Queensryche is good, and OM is better than any Dream Theater album. May God have mercy on all of your souls.

:one::one::one:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Christian Queensryche knock-off Balance of Power is better than Queensryche overall.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

OM is better than any Dream Theater album.

not exactly a high bar to clear

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Colonel J posted:

When I was younger and getting into prog metal, I revered Dream Theater. Queensryche were always mentioned along them, but 15 years later I still dont get why. They're so awful.

Tangential but the other day I remembered that Dream Theater released mid-2000 video game quality pictures of the characters in The Astonishing and had a good laugh

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The one with the pink cover is the best one.
Edit: rage for order
Finally, one good opinion in this whole mess

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Admittedly i havent listened to rage for order in like 20 years. But I remember liking promised land a lot more.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Astrochicken posted:

Admittedly i havent listened to rage for order in like 20 years. But I remember liking promised land a lot more.

Yuck

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Tangential but the other day I remembered that Dream Theater released mid-2000 video game quality pictures of the characters in The Astonishing and had a good laugh
I checked out from them completely after Portnoy left and I haven't heard any of their stuff since then, but I just read up on this album and jeez what were they thinking with this overwrought pointlessly detailed concept poo poo? Who are the people who care? What does life look like for the person who is enthusiastic about the Dream Theater steampunk nonsense album tie in phone game? gently caress dude what the hell

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Big Word posted:

I checked out from them completely after Portnoy left and I haven't heard any of their stuff since then, but I just read up on this album and jeez what were they thinking with this overwrought pointlessly detailed concept poo poo? Who are the people who care? What does life look like for the person who is enthusiastic about the Dream Theater steampunk nonsense album tie in phone game? gently caress dude what the hell

It’s the worst album I’ve ever heard, but also the funniest

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Big Word posted:

Labrie was once on some fantasy concept album based on a popular book series (don't remember the name), and I think it broke his brain.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Labrie was once on some fantasy concept album based on a popular book series (don't remember the name), and I think it broke his brain.

He was on an Ayreon album once, but I don't think that was based off anything else than Lucassens understanding of "being an adult."

E: The human equation, it was.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
He was also on the latest Ayreon album, though that one was back to being all about space and stuff instead of basically being a musical like The Human Equation. But Paladinus probably meant the Roswell Six album, which was kinda like The Human Equation except nowhere near as fun, and apparently the whole thing was written by a reputable(?) science fiction author.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

The Astonishing is Petrucci's brainchild

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Astonishing is so sad because it's like a bipolar manic episode made manifest as an awful fantasy concept album

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I couldn't stomach listening to The Astonishing and had to switch it off 15 minutes in, but there are probably good proggy musical moments in there, which is kind of a shame they have to be buried in the rest.

If someone made a cut of the album that included only the solos and rocking parts I'd be interested to hear that.

edit : apparently someone did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUZnzSqISQ
I'll give a listen but even at 70 minutes I'm skeptical.

e2 : Labrie started singing 5 minutes in and I... I just can't do it.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 14, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Colonel J posted:

I couldn't stomach listening to The Astonishing and had to switch it off 15 minutes in, but there are probably good proggy musical moments in there, which is kind of a shame they have to be buried in the rest.

There really aren't. They heard 25 years of criticism about 10 minute wankfests and responded by making music that only serves to complement a teen shut-in's NaNoWriMo project.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Ruddess' insistence on starting half a dozen of its songs with a minute-long piano intro made it even more of a slog to get through. That and LORD NAFARYUS are the only things I've taken away from that album. Therion released a laughably bloated "rock opera" this year that literally goes on for 3 hours, and somehow that felt like less of a waste of time than The Astonishing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best part of the album is when a character is supposed to unleash a deafening scream and LaBrie just goes "aaaaaaggghhh"

Also according to the website it renders a character "hearingless" because Petrucci is unaware there's a word for that

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Colonel J posted:

If someone made a cut of the album that included only the solos and rocking parts I'd be interested to hear that.

edit : apparently someone did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUZnzSqISQ
I'll give a listen but even at 70 minutes I'm skeptical.

e2 : Labrie started singing 5 minutes in and I... I just can't do it.

I lasted about 45 seconds so you did better than me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Skjorte posted:

He was also on the latest Ayreon album, though that one was back to being all about space and stuff instead of basically being a musical like The Human Equation. But Paladinus probably meant the Roswell Six album, which was kinda like The Human Equation except nowhere near as fun, and apparently the whole thing was written by a reputable(?) science fiction author.

I was thinking of Terra Incognita by Roswell Six, yes. Based on the book called The Edge of the World by some guy who's also written a bunch of Star Wars novels. It wasn't a good album at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Astonishing is Petrucci's brainchild

Oh no... I didn't know . For some reason I thought only LaBrie could be crazy enough for that.

Also, checked Metacritic...

How could this happen? I thought it was universally panned by fans and critics alike.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Oh no... I didn't know . For some reason I thought only LaBrie could be crazy enough for that.

Also, checked Metacritic...

How could this happen? I thought it was universally panned by fans and critics alike.

Not a big sample size. You should wade into the Facebook comments every time they post about it.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Skjorte posted:

The Source was definitely a musical. It shows the origin of the electric castle, the water people kept alive by machines, and the rear end in a top hat computer from Electric Castle. It was a sequel/prequel to 01011001, which I think is Arjen's best work, and ties the whole series in a nice little bow. Very important Ayreon lore there. :kiddo:

Space Madness Ayreon is the Best Ayreon.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 15, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dishwasher posted:

:hmmyes:

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Dishwasher posted:

The Source was definitely a musical. It shows the origin of the electric castle, the water people kept alive by machines, and the rear end in a top hat computer from Electric Castle. It was a sequel/prequel to 01011001, which I think is Arjen's best work, and ties the whole series in a nice little bow. Very important Ayreon lore there. :kiddo:

Oh, for sure. I just mean that The Source and 01011001 seem like they're more abstract and perhaps too expository to work on stage the way Human Equation did and I imagine Theory of Everything and Electric Castle could. Arjen being overwhelmed with the number of guest singers who agreed to participate in 01011001 led to him not really giving everyone time to shine like on a few other Ayreon albums, in my opinion, but I do like that one, too. Electric Castle and The Human Equation are still my favorites, though, and The Theater Equation is definitely the best concert experience I'll ever have.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
P@ Mastelotto warming up on Stick Men tour pre-show. Dat shirt.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
progressive rock is a liberal genre, so what

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

JAMOOOL posted:

progressive rock is a liberal genre, so what

It's a great pic of a wonderful guy.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Seems like the closest thread to ask - is the current lineup of Trad gras och stenar worth catching?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of Ayreon there's a remaster of Into the Electric Castle coming out and that's kinda neat maybe I hope

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Saw The Pineapple Thief on Wednesday night in Berlin, they were great although the setlist was I think overly heavy on the last two albums. Although I think they skipped us last time so maybe that's why. White Mist is a loving amazing song though and I'm glad it's on there.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I’ve been listening the hell out of Dissolution the last few days. I’m really digging it. I’m so glad that it’s looking like Gavin is going to be a full time member, and not just a hired gun. His drumming fits in so perfectly with what Bruce Soord writes, just like it did for latter Porcupine Tree.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I've lost count of how many times I've listened to Phideaux's Infernal at this point, but I cannot seem to put it down. As BrufordFreak complains on ProgArchives, it's a bit too theatrical, a little too stagey, a little too Broadway for his tastes.

That is exactly my jam, and I could not have put it better.

On a vaguely-related note, I don't think I've seen Major Parkinson's Blackbox mentioned here before. Until that album, their connection with prog was tenuous, though there was something I always found pleasing about their compositions, and I'm sensitive to repetition in a way I can't well describe. But Blackbox has multiple lengthy songs and, more importantly, a rhythmic motif that's deftly woven throughout the album. Or at least I think that's what's going on. There is definitely a similar cohesion that is not apparent at first but unfolds with subsequent playthroughs.

The Big Word posted:

Speaking of Ayreon there's a remaster of Into the Electric Castle coming out and that's kinda neat maybe I hope

Keen? I rather enjoyed the acoustic reinterpretation of The Final Experiment.

Though if it's a straight remaster I didn't find anything wrong with the original. Except the word "devolution". If they could step around that landmine of poop in some fashion I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Hammer Bro. posted:

So I've lost count of how many times I've listened to Phideaux's Infernal at this point, but I cannot seem to put it down. As BrufordFreak complains on ProgArchives, it's a bit too theatrical, a little too stagey, a little too Broadway for his tastes.

That is exactly my jam, and I could not have put it better.

Pretty much. I slagged it off earlier in the thread and called it a grower. Shiiid, it's 'grown' into one my favorite album from him very quickly. I feel like as good as Phideaux is, there are sections of his albums that are definitely filler and skippable. Those lows are mitigated by those massive highs though. I feel like Infernal is 90 minutes of unskippable stuff. Finally, no boring sections at all. From Hydrogen to Love is probably his best song, which is saying a lot with poo poo like the 'Micro' duo, Formaldehyde, Beyond the Shadow of Doubt, and Chupacabra walking around.

The theatrics and "stageness" is totally my jam too! It stimulates my particular brand of imagination-ing. Solid 10/10. This poo poo is ill, son. I 'still' want that Number 7 follow up though.

Electric Castle already sounds fine. Borderline timeless even (in our small genre community). A remaster could be really cool or really......Extra.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 25, 2018