Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

eddiewalker posted:

My red dot 🔴 is cycling between “now playing” and “phone.” I can’t think of a time when I’d want to initiate a call that way, but I keep hitting it when I want “now playing.”

Any way to make the Phone icon go away?

edit: bug maybe? Watch didn’t seemed to get the message that I had ended a FaceTime call with my kid 3 hours ago. Maybe because I ended it via Bluetooth? Making another FaceTime call made the icon go away.

Ive never seen this phone icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Ive never seen this phone icon.

The new icons at the top are actually one of the new things I really like. Being able to tap the dot to go to now playing or the phone is super convenient.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

MarcusSA posted:

The new icons at the top are actually one of the new things I really like. Being able to tap the dot to go to now playing or the phone is super convenient.

Yeah I’ve seen the now playing but not phone. Love the now playing one.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

So, still no Watch notes app? One of the most simple and common things I want to do is take a quick note while I’m driving or out somewhere. How is it that there’s not a notes app that allows you to raise your watch, ask Siri to “take a note,” allow you to dictate your note, then sync with your iOS devices? That seems like a no-brainer, but as Apple has continually demonstrated to me, I don’t “get” their products.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also still no turn by turn bicycle directions on the watch for some inexplicable reason

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

RoboCop 3 posted:

So, still no Watch notes app? One of the most simple and common things I want to do is take a quick note while I’m driving or out somewhere. How is it that there’s not a notes app that allows you to raise your watch, ask Siri to “take a note,” allow you to dictate your note, then sync with your iOS devices? That seems like a no-brainer, but as Apple has continually demonstrated to me, I don’t “get” their products.

Could you send yourself a text message?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey Siri, remind me about this thing I just thought of.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There’s also the photos/live photos face that lets you upload your own images or gifs/live photos and use complications. There are lots of face repositories and tutorials for making them from stuff other than live photos available online.

Also- how different is Volt from the ”flash” color that’s available on the standard versions?
Course the customization on the photo one is a bit...sparse to say the least.

How long has Flash been there? I remember when I got mine (granted it's a while now cause it's S2) the color options seemed more limited. Anyway looked on the phone and it looks pretty drat close, Volt seems to have a slight hint of green relative to Flash which seems more like a straight yellow.

Dugong posted:

Vapour watchface aesthetics :2bong:
For anyone that hasn't seen it, all the fancy new faces were created and filmed rather than just done on a computer:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/apple-motion-watch-faces-behind-the-scenes

Guess that shouldn't be too surprising since that's how they did the butterfly and jellyfish ones before too.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 21, 2018

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey Siri, remind me about this thing I just thought of.
Well, that’s better than what I was doing, which was:

Pissflaps posted:

Could you send yourself a text message?

Still, how hard can it be to just add notes as a watch app? Is taking notes randomly throughout the day not a very common scenario for others? I guess I’m just old, and my memory is terrible. :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RoboCop 3 posted:

Still, how hard can it be to just add notes as a watch app? Is taking notes randomly throughout the day not a very common scenario for others? I guess I’m just old, and my memory is terrible. :(
I'd use it cause there's some notes here and there where I scribble down some info and would like to just check on the watch at a glance. I was particularly hoping for it when they put checklists into notes so I could just use it as a quick shopping or to do list.

I think Reminders might not have been an app on the watch back when I thought this. Trying it now it doesn't look like you can add reminders with a button, force pressing within a list just shows "Show Completed". I'm sure you can do it through Siri but I'm not sure how to word the query when you want to add a reminder to a particular list? Also might be problematic cause I have emoji in my list titles to make them prettier :shobon:

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Just got the series 4 in. It's really cool, the extra screen estate and that everything is more rounded makes it feel a lot more elegant. The digital crown with haptic feedback is really nice and makes controlling it a lot easier. A+ would buy again.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Installing the new update - it’s at 2 hours and finally installing onto my S2. Now that it’s on the watch, can I take it off the charge (nothing is going through the air), it didn’t go overnight and I’d like to get to work at some point today.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

japtor posted:

I was particularly hoping for it when they put checklists into notes so I could just use it as a quick shopping or to do list.

Yeah this is me. I don't care if the notes app is ready only it would be nice to look at the watch while shopping instead of still reading down a list on my phone. I'm sure there's a third party solution but I'm pretty happy with notes and want to keep using it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can use reminders for a shopping checklist. You can even tick off items on your watch as you shop.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I'm going to the beach next week, there is no issue with taking my overly expensive watch into the ocean is there? (Series 4)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Other than the usual risks with exposing anything to sand and salt, no.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Their documentation says the watch will be fine, but certain bands may be damaged by the salt water. Use a sport band.

Personally, I'd be more worried about sand possibly scratching up the watch as well as getting all in it and stuff.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Their documentation says the watch will be fine, but certain bands may be damaged by the salt water. Use a sport band.

Personally, I'd be more worried about sand possibly scratching up the watch as well as getting all in it and stuff.

The marketing materials have always been really weird about whether or not the water proof/resistance applied to salt water. I remember in the S3 LTE reveal there was a girl surfing (or paddle boarding?) but there were no waves whatsoever and it looked like a lake.

Having said that I've only ever taken my S2 into pools and fresh water lakes. Never into the ocean.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I took my S3 to Lake Michigan over the summer and had no ill effects from the sand.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I've been sea kayaking with an S2 and a sports band and my sorry arse has been dumped out of the boat enough that if the watch was going to die in sea water, it'd have done so by now. I'd have no qualms about keeping it on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t the promo videos show people surfing with them? I would figure if it was any sort of issue they would not have included it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

EDIT: Im dum

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

When I walk to work it asks me if I'm doing a work out which is cool at first but after a while gets annoying. I think having the rings is cool enough unless they want to give me virtual medals then weehhhhhh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

When I walk to work it asks me if I'm doing a work out which is cool at first but after a while gets annoying. I think having the rings is cool enough unless they want to give me virtual medals then weehhhhhh

Makes a comment about not working out enough of a walk to work triggers the workout notification.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But they do give you virtual medals?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Housh posted:

Yeah my walk to/from public transport is setting this off. I wish there was a sensitivity option.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Anyone else with a Series 1 find their battery life in the toilet since the update? Mine can’t make it past 3pm.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

ManSedan posted:

Anyone else with a Series 1 find their battery life in the toilet since the update? Mine can’t make it past 3pm.

Mine has definitely declined in battery life. If I don’t track a workout I can just about eke out a full day, but it’s uncomfortably close and sometimes I have to use low power mode to make it.

I found that was happening even before upgrading to WatchOS 5 though. Probably just my battery :shrug:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Haven’t noticed any difference with my S1. Still get until about 5pm of day two if I forget to charge it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
My 44m SBSS S4 just arrived, my SBSS link band from an S2 still matches up flawlessly in both color and form which is great since I guess they aren’t making it anymore.
Apple isn’t joking about the 42 and 44 sizes being almost identical. Setting just the cases next to each other really shows how they are so close you might as well consider them the same, though the thinness of the S4 is notable. The bottom dome of the watch is much shorter so it feels like it’s a lot closer to your wrist too.
As is no surprise to anyone the new screen is stunning and I’m still messing around with complications.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've had my S2 in the ocean and pools multiple times. It was fine until the battery expanded which I don't think is related.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Some dumb segregation poo poo going on. The new Infographic Modular face, which is the new higher information density made-for-S4 face does not have a Messages complication. Wtf
I just want to see if I have any messages and clip on it if I want to reply, this is like my 2nd most used feature.
In order to use it I have to use the old modular face which doesn’t have the rich complications.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
^^ :wtc: does the analog clock infograph one have it?

nerox posted:

I'm going to the beach next week, there is no issue with taking my overly expensive watch into the ocean is there? (Series 4)
As mentioned should be fine. I guess the caveats I can think of would be the thing mentioned about some bands/materials not liking (salt) water, use the water lock thing to spit water out afterwards, and just rinse it in clean water when you get the chance.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

japtor posted:

^^ :wtc: does the analog clock infograph one have it?

As mentioned should be fine. I guess the caveats I can think of would be the thing mentioned about some bands/materials not liking (salt) water, use the water lock thing to spit water out afterwards, and just rinse it in clean water when you get the chance.

No, both infographic faces ONLY allow for New Improved Rich Complications, of which there is not one for messages.
The older watch faces DO NOT allow for New Improved Rich Complications.
God damnit, the new faces and Rich Complications are really nice but messages is critical and I’m using the old Modular until this is fixed.
Serious WTF here

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

rage-saq posted:

My 44m SBSS S4 just arrived, my SBSS link band from an S2 still matches up flawlessly in both color and form which is great since I guess they aren’t making it anymore.
Apple isn’t joking about the 42 and 44 sizes being almost identical. Setting just the cases next to each other really shows how they are so close you might as well consider them the same, though the thinness of the S4 is notable. The bottom dome of the watch is much shorter so it feels like it’s a lot closer to your wrist too.
As is no surprise to anyone the new screen is stunning and I’m still messing around with complications.

I wonder if the got rid of the link in anticipation of the AirPower since it can't lay flat... Then those stupid fuckers failed to engineer it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bum the Sad posted:

I wonder if the got rid of the link in anticipation of the AirPower since it can't lay flat... Then those stupid fuckers failed to engineer it.

The slightly taller and thinner nature of the S4 made my link fit even better. Before I would wish for one link to go in they was slightly bigger than the others so I could get it to fit a little looser.
The S4 is pure win. Except for the messages Rich Complications bullshit

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess we have to wait on app makers to update their poo poo for the fancy S4 complications?

Watch is good though. Curious as to how much battery I’ll get compared to my S1. It’s at 55% in the original, out-of-the-box charge after about 10ish hours which includes a workout. Seems good.

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual

Bum the Sad posted:

They'd also have the same problem with the Milanese Loop as well as all the sport loop bands though, so I'm not sure that's the reason.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Do I remember right that they said the S4 is supposed to be twice as fast as the S3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

roofus619 posted:

They'd also have the same problem with the Milanese Loop as well as all the sport loop bands though, so I'm not sure that's the reason.

Huh I guess you're right I never played with the loop, I assumed it pulled apart. I have an S2 with Link