Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Either book is a fine stopping point. Just chop off what's incomplete and say, "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Elissimpark posted:

3 isn't super weird as a stopping point, if you view it as the culmination of Paul's arc (the destruction of his own legend) and the final throes of the world that Paul upturned in the first book.

Admittedly, I tend to stop at the third book when I do a reread, if only because I don't have the second three books with the sweet Bruce Pennington covers.

Also, I'd argue that the books are really about Duncan Idaho as an Everyman escaping from the yoke of his loyalty to the Atriedes. Something something Foucault something Camus.

Yeah this was it for me. It was really the end of Paul's story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah this was it for me. It was really the end of Paul's story.

2 is the end of Paul's story, what the gently caress are people talking about?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Paul is the worms dick

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well yeah, but

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I rather liked Children of Dune, but I don't think it's a good place to stop forever.

Waiting a few years in between CoD and GEoD wouldn't be a terrible idea, though. Things change a lot.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

2 is the end of Paul's story, what the gently caress are people talking about?

He didn't die at the end of Dune Messiah. He was The Preacher in Children of Dune, where he died an angry, broken shell of his former self.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Maybe spoiler that for others.

Also, effectively, his story is over.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Probably okay to not spoiler a 40 year old novel. Plus phone-posting and can't find square brackets.

I'd say 2 was the end of MAUD'DIB's story, but Paul Atriedes' ends in 3.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I think the best advice to anyone new to the series is to stop whenever they stop liking it because they (arguably) don't get better.

However, this is my opinion of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune:

Messiah is basically an extended epilogue to the first book. The ending in Messiah, where a blind Paul walks into the desert alone to avoid further destruction, is a perfect ending to the first book.

Children of Dune was written almost ten years after the first book and was used to kickstart more sequels. Herbert even retcons a few things, especially with Paul. I'm not saying it's bad but it's obviously not meant to be an ending to the series.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

read thou not two, unless thou then proceedest to three.

five is right out.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’ve always just told people to read Dune, then past that to keep reading until they stop enjoying it, wherever that might be.

My general feeling is 1 - 4 + The Dune Encyclopaedia is the best “complete” set.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Children of Dune sucks rear end.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rockopolis posted:

Either book is a fine stopping point. Just chop off what's incomplete and say, "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Bi-lal kaifa.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

Yup.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Four is hands down the best one aside from 1. If you're stopping anywhere you should stop by Brian Herbert's house and murder his stupid body

My man

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

thatfatkid posted:

ok but Wensicia is still a really cool name. Too bad about her son.

edit: I feel like Dune names are either really awesome and evocative, easy 9 or 10/10s... or they're flatly stupid 1/10s. Bijaz. Bijaz. Not many names fall in the middle.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 22, 2018

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Too bad about her son.

Don't talk about the breaker of habit that way.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

i'm the guy whose going to kill the genius polymath prescentients (two of them) with a tiger, and have no back up plan for when that inevitably goes wrong

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Jesus In A Can posted:

Don't talk about the breaker of habit that way.

Harq al-Ada is a great name! And he's a fine character. But drat, Farad'n is a dumb name.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arrhythmia posted:

i'm the guy whose going to kill the genius polymath prescentients (two of them) with a tiger, and have no back up plan for when that inevitably goes wrong

uh that's why you use two tigers. you buffoon. you moron.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

uh that's why you use two tigers. you buffoon. you moron.

have you SEEN the cost of a tiger these days?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
jesus christ i already talked myself out of just sending a particularly ornery ferret and now you're telling me i need to spring for a second tiger? holy loving poo poo the brass balls on this guy

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"Wait, Laza Tigers? I thought you said Laser Tigers!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arrhythmia posted:

What would you do, use a gun? :v:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

jesus christ i already talked myself out of just sending a particularly ornery ferret and now you're telling me i need to spring for a second tiger? holy loving poo poo the brass balls on this guy

at least tell me how you're planning on training the dang things

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The scene where the tigers eat the dude who was training them is so strange and out of place. The image of the guy frantically trying to use his remote to call them off or whatever, as they bound towards him after completing their final test run... it's like something out of a bad James Bond screenplay. RIP dumbass henchman, we knew how you would die the second you stepped on screen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

i'll probably see the kids from a cliff top and start hitting their rumps with sticks, which should get 'em going

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

i'll probably see the kids from a cliff top and start hitting their rumps with sticks, which should get 'em going

just like my days in the sardaukar

The scene where the tigers eat the dude who was training them is so strange and out of place. The image of the guy frantically trying to use his remote to call them off or whatever, as they bound towards him after completing their final test run... it's like something out of a bad James Bond screenplay. RIP dumbass henchman, we knew how you would die the second you stepped on screen.

absolutely. it's really kind of jarring when you first hit that chapter in children

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I've never thought Wensicia was supposed to be a genuine threat way the Baron and Scytale were. The plan with the tigers was stupid, because Wensicia was an idiot and it was the kind of "brilliant" plan that would appeal to an idiot. I always imagined the sarduakar dude rolling his eyes behind her back, but kinda bound by duty to her.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

One of my favorite things about the syfy miniseries is the ridiculous hats.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Elissimpark posted:

I've never thought Wensicia was supposed to be a genuine threat way the Baron and Scytale were. The plan with the tigers was stupid, because Wensicia was an idiot and it was the kind of "brilliant" plan that would appeal to an idiot. I always imagined the sarduakar dude rolling his eyes behind her back, but kinda bound by duty to her.

Yeah and no-one guessed that the twins were prescient. Alia had limited prescience, which was being hosed by the Tarot, and noone thought Fremen genes were worth poo poo. Remember that 90 generations of eugenics among the Major and Minor houses had produced Paul, and only 50% of that breeding was lost.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Also, does anybody have any theories on what Leto meant when he renamed Farad'n?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MRC48B posted:

One of my favorite things about the syfy miniseries is the ridiculous hats.

Jesus that BG hat with the butterflies :gay:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

exmachina posted:

Also, does anybody have any theories on what Leto meant when he renamed Farad'n?

"Farad'n, that's a stupid name."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exmachina posted:

i'm emperor, bitch

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Harq al-Ada is a great name! And he's a fine character. But drat, Farad'n is a dumb name.

And then there’s Harq al Harba.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

ok but Wensicia is still a really cool name. Too bad about her son.

edit: I feel like Dune names are either really awesome and evocative, easy 9 or 10/10s... or they're flatly stupid 1/10s. Bijaz. Bijaz. Not many names fall in the middle.

Good names:
Feyd Rautha

Bad Names:
Waff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Jesus that BG hat with the butterflies :gay:

The beautiful butterfly is good enough a symbol for the Mighty Monarch!

Testikles posted:

Good names:
Feyd Rautha

Bad Names:
Waff

You can really see there where Star Wars took so much influence from Dune. Hell, the Tusken Raiders are basically the equivalent of Fremen.